United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperzulu
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzima View Post
IMHO, the M2 is a way better car for the following reasons:
- 6 cylinders vs 4 cylinders (not to mention M2 performance >>> Alfa 4C)
- 4 seats vs 2 seats
- M2 comes fully loaded (vs Alfa requires many options to be added)
- M2 price

Not to mention that Alfa finition is really cheap:
- wheel gap is awful
- interior/radio looks out of Radio Shack

I was really disappointed by Alfa to present a poor quality car in North America for their return (does 4C stands for 4cheap?!?)

I would only go for the Alfa if I was looking for an affordable Italian sports car (ie could not afford Ferrari, Lambos or Maserati) or for the sound the car would make.
Plenty of cars out there allow you to spend all your money to attain luxury. What we need more of are cars which are for drivers. You don't even talk about driving dynamics in a car that was kind of purpose built for that very reason. This is why I always laugh at people who say BMW has lost their way. It's bullshit. People have lost their way. BMW is just changing with that tide.
Smart man. BMW is jn business to make $ form the masses not cater to the select few. The US is getting very fat and very lazy, no wonder cars made to sell here reflect that. The 300 lb guy who "works out" at my gym by sitting on a bike and watching TV is not looking for a purpose built sports car he cannot climb into.
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2016, 05:38 PM   #24
Shindo
Private
Rep
Drives: E46

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEM-S4 View Post
Smart man. BMW is jn business to make $ form the masses not cater to the select few. The US is getting very fat and very lazy, no wonder cars made to sell here reflect that. The 300 lb guy who "works out" at my gym by sitting on a bike and watching TV is not looking for a purpose built sports car he cannot climb into.
Unlike the average Canadian, who believes in a balanced diet and a balanced vehicle😜, m2 it is.
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2016, 06:20 PM   #25
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shindo
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEM-S4 View Post
Unlike the average Canadian, who believes in a balanced diet and a balanced vehicle😜, m2 it is.
So you alternate between poutine and green salads?
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2016, 03:21 PM   #26
dt34
Private
Rep
Drives: Maserati Gran Turismo MC, i3

Rumor has it, Alfa is going to upgrade the power plant in the 4c. I read it will be the Giulia 4 cylinder turbo motor but who knows. Unfortunately, Alfa seems to be a mess

Past: BMW E36 M3,BMW E92 M3,Audi RS5,
Lotus Exige S,Lotus Evora S
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2016, 10:25 AM   #27
Corinne
Captain
France
Rep
Drives: M2 2018 LBB 6MT

The Lotus Elise is a brilliant car and is cheaper than the 4C. I have the supercharged SC and it's so much fun I don't want to get out of it even after driving it all day. I'm about the maximum height for an Elise (6 feet or 1m.83) and skinny - I'd be more comfortable if I were 2 inches shorter because then my back would embrace the curve of the bucket seat. The handling is out of this world and you can chuck it around roundabouts at will. The only problem is it comes with an exhaust that makes no noise at all and ruins the experience. I bought a Lotus sports exhaust which was much better but I ditched it after a year and had one specially made which is a quarter of the size of the original silencer. Now you can hear it a kilometre away. I love the suspension (I have an extra hard sports suspension that came with the Roger Becker version) - it seems more or less non-existent LOL. I'm about to order an M2 for my april - november DD because the M235i feels too soft. I absolutely HATE any kind of body roll. I hope I won't be disappointed ;-)
2011 Lotus Elise SC, 2002 BMW 330d, 1990 Caterham Super 7 HPC (sold), 1985 Porsche 911 Carrera SC (sold), 1978 Caterham Super 7 (sold), 1972 Triumph TR6 (sold), 1972 Jensen Healey (sold), 1965 Triumph TR4A (sold)
Appreciate 2
      03-17-2016, 09:47 PM   #28
csbear
Major
Rep
Drives: SO M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corinne View Post
The Lotus Elise is a brilliant car and is cheaper than the 4C. I have the supercharged SC and it's so much fun I don't want to get out of it even after driving it all day. I'm about the maximum height for an Elise (6 feet or 1m.83) and skinny - I'd be more comfortable if I were 2 inches shorter because then my back would embrace the curve of the bucket seat. The handling is out of this world and you can chuck it around roundabouts at will. The only problem is it comes with an exhaust that makes no noise at all and ruins the experience. I bought a Lotus sports exhaust which was much better but I ditched it after a year and had one specially made which is a quarter of the size of the original silencer. Now you can hear it a kilometre away. I love the suspension (I have an extra hard sports suspension that came with the Roger Becker version) - it seems more or less non-existent LOL. I'm about to order an M2 for my april - november DD because the M235i feels too soft. I absolutely HATE any kind of body roll. I hope I won't be disappointed ;-)
Coming from an Elise, almost every car will feel like it has SUV body roll! Are you considering the M performance suspension on the M2?
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2016, 03:41 PM   #29
Corinne
Captain
France
Rep
Drives: M2 2018 LBB 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by csbear View Post
Coming from an Elise, almost every car will feel like it has SUV body roll! Are you considering the M performance suspension on the M2?
No, coz buying the car will clean me out financially ! I might go for a louder exhaust if I think it's necessary but that'll be all in terms of after sales goodies. A sportscar has to be LOUD.
2011 Lotus Elise SC, 2002 BMW 330d, 1990 Caterham Super 7 HPC (sold), 1985 Porsche 911 Carrera SC (sold), 1978 Caterham Super 7 (sold), 1972 Triumph TR6 (sold), 1972 Jensen Healey (sold), 1965 Triumph TR4A (sold)
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2018, 05:43 PM   #30
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shindo View Post
Pretty sure as I watch all those pickup trucks try to park downtown in the morning, the daily driver of choice in Canada is the F150
      10-11-2018, 09:17 AM   #31
mpower1226
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Audi TT

I've been fortunate enough to actually have owned most of listed above..
from elise to cayman to focus rs and 4c.

I currently own both focus rs as well as 4c and in the market to trade in focus rs for 2018 m2.

in all fairness, comparing m2 to 4c does not really make any sense at all. as someone has pointed out, if you are faulting 4c for not having luxury interior (you probably have not sat on lotus then, miles better 4c is) or no back seats or complain about the comforts, you are missing the point.

only direct competition to 4c is really lotus elise and exiege, nothing else not even cayman as pcar is really daily driven. this is really unbiased opinion as Ive owned these cars back to back.

one of the reason i got rid of cayman was because it was not fun coming from lotus. sure it did have lots of comforts and luxury but it tried to be good at every thing but not great at driving experience comparing to lotus.

so i moved to 4c and was very surprised at handling as well as overall feel plus the power. the power gets delivered in very old fashion turbo way but once the boost kicks in, it is very fast. (4.1 sec in launch mode). Also since the car is super light, it amplifies the sense of speed. As long as you are familiar with midengine characteristics (not that of cayman as they are very forgiving), and as long as you dont lift throttle mid corner, it is very very capable on the track.

Reliabilitywise, not a single issue i encountered. only downside is there is must be done every 2 years "carbon chasis bolt tightening service" which costs a lot of money at the dealership but must be carried out.

As for the focus RS that is a whole different story (i do love the car but the brand and dealership along with techs) I need to trade in my rs for m2 very very soon.

Appreciate 1