BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > BMW BBK or AP Racing BBK??!? Arrggghhh

12-28-2018, 04:39 AM   #23
Karlosm2c
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by willox View Post
https://www.rosssport.com/Brands/ALC...-ALCBKF8949Y03

Guy I know fitted the Alcon kit on his M2,also 2 piece disc option for the oe calipers.nice kit the Alcon stuff.
I am also looking in to Alcon with Max at MMR Performance. Alcon supposedly have a new M2 Competition brake kit on the way. Watch this space!
      12-28-2018, 02:21 PM   #24
willox
Second Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: M2,Cayenne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlosm2c View Post
I am also looking in to Alcon with Max at MMR Performance. Alcon supposedly have a new M2 Competition brake kit on the way. Watch this space!
Nice one,quality stuff!
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2019, 03:19 AM   #25
kvnchu
Private
Rep
Drives: z4m

Quote:
Hi Proctor,

You will be glad to hear I opted out of the 2NH brakes. Considering I am going to use this car for regular track use I decided I am going to buy some aftermarket BBK's.

Regarding wheels, I have a set of 763M's with Cup 2's on the way. As lthey come in 19" I can always sell off the 788M wheels the car comes with at a later date and purchase some 18"s instead. It will just need some coilovers and maybe a CS flash and then I will be ready to go

Karl
Karl, in your setup what did you do for the rears? Did you move the front calipers to the rear? I read somewhere we can do that in our cars.
Caterham S3 '01
Porsche 993 '96
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2019, 08:52 AM   #26
Karlosm2c
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvnchu View Post
Quote:
Hi Proctor,

You will be glad to hear I opted out of the 2NH brakes. Considering I am going to use this car for regular track use I decided I am going to buy some aftermarket BBK's.

Regarding wheels, I have a set of 763M's with Cup 2's on the way. As lthey come in 19" I can always sell off the 788M wheels the car comes with at a later date and purchase some 18"s instead. It will just need some coilovers and maybe a CS flash and then I will be ready to go

Karl
Karl, in your setup what did you do for the rears? Did you move the front calipers to the rear? I read somewhere we can do that in our cars.
Hi,
I get my car on 1st March, but I'm removing both front and rear brakes and replacing with AP Racing BBKs. I don't know if you can switch the front and rear calipers.
      01-18-2019, 10:10 PM   #27
kvnchu
Private
Rep
Drives: z4m

Quote:
Hi,
I get my car on 1st March, but I'm removing both front and rear brakes and replacing with AP Racing BBKs. I don't know if you can switch the front and rear calipers.
Congrats! That sounds like the dream setup! Have that on my e92m3

On a bit of a budget for my m2 though

Anyone else know if the 4pot OEM front is direct plug and play
Appreciate 1
Karlosm2c290.50
      01-20-2019, 04:13 PM   #28
paradocs98
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C

My two cents. I'm back on bimmerpost after a long hiatus. Had an E90 M3 that I tracked heavily and really enjoyed. (Emphasis on heavy -- that heavy beast went through tires and brakes like nobody's business!) I then moved on to a 991 Carrera S, and now a GT4 for track use. Pretty certain I'll try to pick up an M2C as a daily driver.

The OEM E9X M3 brakes were completely inadequate for track use. I switched early on to a Stoptech BBK front and rear. They felt great, were robust, and their removable bridge design made for quick pad changes without removing the calipers.

On the 991S, I kept the stock calipers but upgraded the rotors to two-piece, slotted GiroDiscs. Also got Pagid RS19 pads. Based on reports of others, the GiroDiscs lasted me much longer than the stock rotors would have, and when it came time to replace them, I saved money by retaining the GiroDisc center hats and just replacing the outer friction rings. Brilliant.

Now on the GT4, I've also kept the stock calipers but upgraded the rotors to 2-piece AP J-hooks from the team at Essex. They've been fantastic. Lasted a good amount of time on track with PFC11 pads, and again, the 2-piece design allows for just switching out the outer friction rings while retaining the center hats. Much cheaper than replacing the entire OEM rotor assembly each time. And with the J-hook slotted design, no worries about the OEM cross-drilled holes forming cracks over time. Why Porsche insists on continuing with cross-drilled brake rotors on their GT cars is beyond me. It speaks volumes that their customer race cars come with slotted rotors and not cross-drilled.

So, in summary, strong recommendation for AP Racing and the guys at Essex. The rotor design is great, and the ability to change pads without removing the rotors is a huge plus.
      01-20-2019, 04:40 PM   #29
Karlosm2c
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradocs98 View Post
My two cents. I'm back on bimmerpost after a long hiatus. Had an E90 M3 that I tracked heavily and really enjoyed. (Emphasis on heavy -- that heavy beast went through tires and brakes like nobody's business!) I then moved on to a 991 Carrera S, and now a GT4 for track use. Pretty certain I'll try to pick up an M2C as a daily driver.

The OEM E9X M3 brakes were completely inadequate for track use. I switched early on to a Stoptech BBK front and rear. They felt great, were robust, and their removable bridge design made for quick pad changes without removing the calipers.

On the 991S, I kept the stock calipers but upgraded the rotors to two-piece, slotted GiroDiscs. Also got Pagid RS19 pads. Based on reports of others, the GiroDiscs lasted me much longer than the stock rotors would have, and when it came time to replace them, I saved money by retaining the GiroDisc center hats and just replacing the outer friction rings. Brilliant.

Now on the GT4, I've also kept the stock calipers but upgraded the rotors to 2-piece AP J-hooks from the team at Essex. They've been fantastic. Lasted a good amount of time on track with PFC11 pads, and again, the 2-piece design allows for just switching out the outer friction rings while retaining the center hats. Much cheaper than replacing the entire OEM rotor assembly each time. And with the J-hook slotted design, no worries about the OEM cross-drilled holes forming cracks over time. Why Porsche insists on continuing with cross-drilled brake rotors on their GT cars is beyond me. It speaks volumes that their customer race cars come with slotted rotors and not cross-drilled.

So, in summary, strong recommendation for AP Racing and the guys at Essex. The rotor design is great, and the ability to change pads without removing the rotors is a huge plus.
Hi there,
Thanks for your input and feedback. It's great to hear your thoughts on the AP Racing equipment from Essex. My front and rear BBK's should be here within the next few days and I can wait to put them on the car when I take delivery on 1st March and start doing some track days 😁👍🏻
      01-21-2019, 02:26 PM   #30
jritt@essex
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: e90 335i, NSX, 997.2, 987.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradocs98 View Post

Thanks for the positive feedback and for your support of our products. We're glad they're working well for you, and enjoy that GT4!
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2019, 03:06 AM   #31
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW M2 DCT

Quote:
Hi,
I get my car on 1st March, but I'm removing both front and rear brakes and replacing with AP Racing BBKs.
Is your AP racing set up track focussed or for DD/TD duty ie OK for road use. If BBK calipers come w/o dust boosts/seals on the pistons then BBK will need lots of TLC during the winter periods to stop pistons corroding/pitting.

Quote:
Hi,
I don't know if you can switch the front and rear calipers.
Don't believe you can, despite what's implied on the Net.

OEM front 4pots -> rear 4 pot calipers are unlikely to be cross-compatible.

Current '22 X3M LCI..

Last edited by Bee Pee; 01-22-2019 at 05:26 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2019, 04:00 AM   #32
Karlosm2c
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee Pee View Post
Quote:
Hi there,
Thanks for your input and feedback. It's great to hear your thoughts on the AP Racing equipment from Essex. My front and rear BBK's should be here within the next few days and I can wait to put them on the car when I take delivery on 1st March and start doing some track days 😁👍🏻
Karl - what BBK setup have you gone for ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jritt@essex View Post
Thanks for the positive feedback and for your support of our products. We're glad they're working well for you, and enjoy that GT4!
Are the Essex kits more track biased or OK for road use, esp here in the UK where salt is spread on roads in winter time.

If calipers BBK come w/o dust boosts/seals on the pistons then BBK will need lots of TLC during the winter periods to stop pistons corroding/pitting.
Hi there,

I've gotten a bit carried away and have gone for the Radi-Cal Pro5000r front and rear kits. So yes, they are track focused and will definitely need lots of tlc during the Winter to prevent corrosion, etc. I'm just waiting to hear back from Jeff at Essex Parts to understand the best way to look after them when salt is on the road. I think I'll get them fitted in April / May this year to avoid this first Winter also.
      01-22-2019, 04:05 AM   #33
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Hi there,

I've gotten a bit carried away and have gone for the Radi-Cal Pro5000r front and rear kits. So yes, they are track focused and will definitely need lots of tlc during the Winter to prevent corrosion, etc. I'm just waiting to hear back from Jeff at Essex Parts to understand the best way to look after them when salt is on the road. I think I'll get them fitted in April / May this year to avoid this first Winter also.
Karl,

Understood - sub'd to read what Essex suggest.

What disc/rotor sizes F&R have you gone for ? 372/365mm perhaps to suit 18" wheels ??

BP

Current '22 X3M LCI..
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2019, 04:40 AM   #34
Karlosm2c
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Hi there,

Karl,

Understood - sub'd to read what Essex suggest.

What disc/rotor sizes F&R have you gone for ? 372/365mm perhaps to suit 18" wheels ??

BP
The fronts are 372 and rears are 365 so clearance should be ok for 18" wheels from what I've been told. I nearly bought the front calipers that took 25mm pads, but Jeff at Essex believed that the wider calipers would create clearance issues for 18" wheels so I decided against it. 25mm pads are only really needed if I were doing endurance racing anyway, which I can guarantee I won't be doing.

Right now I have a set of 19" 763m wheels with cup 2s so I'm thinking of using up the cup 2s up and then having the 763s for road and selling the 788s and buying some 18" wheels for track. That seems to be what many people suggest for track tyres. What set up do you use for track?
      01-22-2019, 05:24 AM   #35
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Right now I have a set of 19" 763m wheels with cup 2s so I'm thinking of using up the cup 2s up and then having the 763s for road and selling the 788s and buying some 18" wheels for track. That seems to be what many people suggest for track tyres. What set up do you use for track?
Wise plan. 788m not my cup o' tea.

1st 2 TD's were using OEM 19" wheels/tyres ie 437m + MPSS 245/265.

Subsequent to that, I bought a set of OEM 513m with 18" 245/265 40/18 MPSS tyres and now intend to try same 18" wheels c/w 245/265 AD08R's

Current '22 X3M LCI..
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2019, 05:27 AM   #36
Karlosm2c
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Wise plan. 788m not my cup o' tea.

1st 2 TD's were using OEM 19" wheels/tyres ie 437m + MPSS 245/265.

Subsequent to that, I bought a set of OEM 513m with 18" 245/265 40/18 MPSS tyres and now intend to try same 18" wheels c/w 245/265 AD08R's
I don't mind the 788's but much prefer the 763s.

What tracks have you been to? I'm near the Bedford Autodrome so I'll definitely be doing some days out there to get myself familiar with the car on track.
      01-23-2019, 03:16 AM   #37
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
What tracks have you been to? I'm near the Bedford Autodrome so I'll definitely be doing some days out there to get myself familiar with the car on track.
Lucky chap - B'ford is great place to familiarise yourself with the car. Took my M135i to B'ford a couple of times not been there yet with M2, but I intend to.

Being based in SW London, furthest north I've been so far with my M2 is Silverstone !

Goodwood, Brands & Thruxton in that order tend to be my haunts plus my in-laws live in N Wales so an odd excursion to Anglesey is a nice-to-have

Current '22 X3M LCI..
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2019, 03:20 AM   #38
Karlosm2c
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Lucky chap - B'ford is great place to familiarise yourself with the car. Took my M135i to B'ford a couple of times not been there yet with M2, but I intend to.

Being based in SW London, furthest north I've been so far with my M2 is Silverstone !

Goodwood, Brands & Thruxton in that order tend to be my haunts plus my in-laws live in N Wales so an odd excursion to Anglesey is a nice-to-have
Yeah, I'm grateful to be so close to Bedford.

I did do a track experience at the Stowe circuit in Silverstone a few months back and did a few laps in a standard M2, which was a fun experience even if there wasn't enough time in the car.

How is Brands Hatch? I need to do some more research on some more UK tracks to help me get used to the car. Anglesey looks amazing. I love watching Chris Harris hoon around there.
      01-23-2019, 04:44 AM   #39
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:

I did do a track experience at the Stowe circuit in Silverstone a few months back and did a few laps in a standard M2, which was a fun experience even if there wasn't enough time in the car.

How is Brands Hatch? I need to do some more research on some more UK tracks to help me get used to the car. Anglesey looks amazing. I love watching Chris Harris hoon around there.
BH Indy TD's are frequent and v popular. Depending on how busy, too many then its like the wacky racers on the m25 but it can be a good opportunity to get on the shirt tails of someone who's more familiar to learn the lines. BH GP circuit TD dates are rarer but GP circuit is a belter - only done it once though...

Current '22 X3M LCI..
Appreciate 1
Karlosm2c290.50
      01-23-2019, 06:26 AM   #40
Karlosm2c
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

BH Indy TD's are frequent and v popular. Depending on how busy, too many then its like the wacky racers on the m25 but it can be a good opportunity to get on the shirt tails of someone who's more familiar to learn the lines. BH GP circuit TD dates are rarer but GP circuit is a belter - only done it once though...
I'd be worried about trying to keep up with someone more experienced (and a better driver) who knows the lines at a track as it could lead to mistakes. If they were in a slower car, but quicker round the track that might not be so bad. I'm going to make sure I do comprehensive research before each track day to try and learn breaking, turning and exit points, etc. Most tracks have cones to indicate turn in and apex points though, which would help.
      01-23-2019, 08:18 AM   #41
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I'd be worried about trying to keep up with someone more experienced (and a better driver) who knows the lines at a track as it could lead to mistakes. If they were in a slower car, but quicker round the track that might not be so bad. I'm going to make sure I do comprehensive research before each track day to try and learn breaking, turning and exit points, etc. Most tracks have cones to indicate turn in and apex points though, which would help.
TBH, if you're a TD and/or a circuit novice, getting some seat time with one of the circuit's instructors next to you is the best way to learn plus you can gauge the crowd out on the circuit. If you spot someone who's tidy + consistent [+ fast] then chatting to them in the paddock is also worthwhile for tips or if they're willing to "tow" you round the circuit for a couple of laps...

Current '22 X3M LCI..
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2019, 08:22 AM   #42
Karlosm2c
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
TBH, if you're a TD and/or a circuit novice, getting some seat time with one of the circuit's instructors next to you is the best way to learn plus you can gauge the crowd out on the circuit. If you spot someone who's tidy + consistent [+ fast] then chatting to them in the paddock is also worthwhile for tips or if they're willing to "tow" you round the circuit for a couple of laps...
That's some good advice and I was thinking of getting in-car advice from one of the track instructors. It's certainly going to be a fun learning curve 😎
      01-23-2019, 08:52 AM   #43
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

Quote:
Hi there,

Would like to hear more from jritt@essex regarding any needed winterizing for the AP BBK.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2019, 12:54 PM   #44
Shayan55
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Garage List
2105 BMW M235I  [0.00]
I have the StopTech ST60R Trophy kit on my 235I and tbh bro i love it, i have it paired with Motul RBF660 fluid and Ferrodo DS2500 pads and on track they are perfect haha
(Sold) M235I Dinan intake, Active Autowerke FMIC, meisterschaft, TCKline coilovers, NT01's, BMS Oil cooler valve, VRSF DP&CP, BM3,StopTech Trophy BBK, Corbeau FX1 Pro seats, AP bar, Bimmerworld V3 Wing, APR Front splitter, Seibon Vented CF Hood
399.8whp on 91oct
Hmu on Ig: @n55_shayan
Appreciate 0