BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs) > Is it worth getting PPF?

01-20-2019, 04:29 PM   #23
P4rD0nM3
youtube.com/rodoabadtv
Rep
Drives: 2017 Dinan M2, 2023 X3MC

Garage List
I think PPF is worth it—I had my whole M2 wrapped in XPEL Ultimate and it just gives you that peace of mind that you won't get when you do not have PPF especially since my wife and I do a lot of road trips (500+ miles). The car has been hit multiple times with random debris so far no scratches or any form of dents. It's going to be year 3 for 2019 for my M2 with XPEL.

Here's what XPEL looks like after 2 years of road trips.

Mind you, I do not plan on selling this car even if I am going to buy a new one. But that's the thing right? I'm willing to spend money on high quality pressure washers or any type of product that will help me keep my cars clean and close to like it just got out of the factory and that's **my thing** and I do that on all my cars regardless of their price point.

If I was going to buy a used car and the previous owner said it has XPEL and can show receipts that it was done by a reputable shop then they get brownie points.

If you have disposable income I'd say go for it. If you're thinking about money then prioritize what you want to do first and most of what you're thinking should fall in line.
      01-20-2019, 04:55 PM   #24
X54TH
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i M Sport

Garage List
Avoid this guy
Attached Images

2021 330i XDrive Alpine White M-Sport
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2019, 09:28 PM   #25
mr_lab_rat
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, 2018 X1

It's not worth it for me. The winters here are mild and I don't do a lot of highway driving.
For the money I would spend on PPF I can get a new bumper in 5 years and that will take care of curb rash as well.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2019, 05:10 AM   #26
OGM2
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 AW DCT MPS,N180 4Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by X54TH View Post
Avoid this guy
I just got spayed by this guy. Not exaggerating, I thought it was dirt from excavation and died a little inside. 20 feet in the air and 20 feet in front of me on the freeway. Sounded like i went through a hail storm. Slammed on the brakes but too late. Not a single mark. Sure, it's expensive and you can re-spray for practically the same price. But it won't be original paint. If I was buying used, I absolutely will not buy one that's been re-sprayed due to not knowing the extent of the damage. PPF and paintless dent removal is a godsend to me and anyone that plans on keeping the car indefinitely. At least consider doing the front bumper and rockers unless you like "patina" lol.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2019, 09:54 AM   #27
Fear-Mongrel
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 LCI 6MT LBB

We were driving on the 101 freeway and up ahead of us, maybe 100 yards, an 18-wheeler blew a tire. Huge pieces of tire came flying backwards. I swerved hard to the right to avoid the first large piece, but had to correct back left and couldn't swerve fast enough again to avoid a 2nd large piece. It was about the size of a very large shoe, maybe a little bigger, and the tire must have completely shredded because I could see the wires/center core and it hit us on the left front quarter panel behind the headlights. If I had held the car straight, it may have been just a glancing blow, but in trying to swerve I made the angle worse and it hit flush at around 65-70mph. It sounded like a baseball hit the car. We were bummed as we headed for the next exit to see how bad it was, we were sure there had to be damage. All we found was a big streak of black rubber residue smeared across the Suntek, and that wiped right off. That's it, not a single indentation or mark, like it never happened. Would bare paint have fared as well? Maybe, maybe not. YMMV.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2019, 09:54 AM   #28
Blurbo311
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 LBB 6-Speed

I say its worth it!

I have 4-5 nasty chips on my windshield in only 8,000 miles but not a single mark on my front bumper or hood due to the ppf. I'm not super ocd but I'm not a fan of a totally pitted bumper like I've had on a previous car.

While it doesn't necessarily add value on resale, it is a selling point that could get the car sold faster, and possibly for more money given it will have very little wear on the front of the car.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2019, 10:34 AM   #29
grl.racr
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G87 M2, MK8 R, RS6 Avant

Generally worth it if you have the cash, and especially if you are a highway commuter.

PPF is not invincible, however, and will scratch and etch like a clear coat (albeit a bit tougher). If you wash your car imporoperly or let bird bombs sit on there too long you can damage the film beyond repair. Unlike paint PPF can’t really be polished and nothing looks worse than a layer of plastic film scratched to hell all over your car. IMO.
Appreciate 1
      01-22-2019, 01:10 PM   #30
Jenius
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

Hate stone chips.. I have my PFF service booked in already!
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2019, 01:22 PM   #31
jasonF30
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

I had PPF on the whole front end of my 335xi, my first stop after picking up my M2C will be to get the PPF on the front end. I do a lot of highway driving and its def saved me from a lot of stone chips. I don't plan on driving it in the winter either.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2019, 03:38 PM   #32
recycledAlva
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: MY17 BSM M2

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs.boost View Post
Generally worth it if you have the cash, and especially if you are a highway commuter.

PPF is not invincible, however, and will scratch and etch like a clear coat (albeit a bit tougher). If you wash your car imporoperly or let bird bombs sit on there too long you can damage the film beyond repair. Unlike paint PPF can’t really be polished and nothing looks worse than a layer of plastic film scratched to hell all over your car. IMO.
^^^ This but the nice thing is PPF can always be removed and replaced These days people will get PPF on the front end and a ceramic coating on the whole vehicle to protect against anything that could etch the paint or the film.
      02-12-2019, 09:41 PM   #33
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 Mineral Grey M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs.boost View Post

I had my PPF polished. Turned out great.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2019, 04:39 PM   #34
M Fifty
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2 & 330CI

With what was you PPF polished, and by whom? I'm thinking it would be cheaper to replace...
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2019, 06:39 PM   #35
Sideshow
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2C

I REALLY wanted to get it on the whole car. I just hate how it feels, it feels like plastic instead of metal (which it is). It's my hangup but it's my car and I just don't like it....as much as I wanted to.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2019, 09:35 AM   #36
qnet
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 Jeep Wrangler, 18 M2 LBB

I think it's worth it. I remember my E36 M3 had chips and small marks all over the front, from my use and the previous owner.

I like to take road trips, and drive in the mountain areas of north Georgia. Having the PPF really helps in cleaning the bugs & debris off the front.
Appreciate 1
GoHerd87.50
      02-16-2019, 11:50 AM   #37
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 Mineral Grey M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Fifty View Post
With what was you PPF polished, and by whom? I'm thinking it would be cheaper to replace...
BMW dealership did it for free. Well, maybe they added in labor cost, but they said they did it for free.

What happened was I ceramic coated over the xpel myself last April but did a terrible job at it, it turned out super hazy/streaky. Then in Sept my car was hit. The entire passenger side, hood, and bumper were replaced/painted. Meaning the car looked have good and half streaky from the bad ceramic coating. So the dealership polished it for me to make it look even. All they told me is that they used polish cause compound would be too abrasive. I dunno what polish they used.
Appreciate 0