BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > M2 vs M2C - advice please

01-21-2019, 10:50 AM   #1
andrettifan
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C; 2017 330i wagon

M2 vs M2C - advice please

Apologies if there are answers to my questions elsewhere on this forum. I own a 2017 M2 (manual transmission) and love it, but I’m considering trading up to a new M2C. I welcome comments and information from anyone but ideally would like to hear from anyone who has owned an M2 and now owns an M2C. If you post an answer and are in the latter group, please let me know.

Are there any changes to the manual transmission and drive modes? Specifically, I really hate the rev matching function in the M2 and for that reason have only ever driven mine in Sport + with all the “nannies” fully turned off. I’m old (and old school), so I simply prefer to do my own rev matching on downshifts. Is it any easier to turn off the rev matching on the M2C and can that now be done without losing the traction control?

Are there changes to the drive chain other than the obvious switch of engines? And if so, how do they change the driving of the car, if at all? For example, I think I read somewhere something about changes to the differential?

The auto stop/start function can be turned off in the M2. Is that still the case with the M2C?

I much prefer the wheels on the M2 to those on the M2C. I can’t find any wheel options on the build-your-own page of BMWUSA. Is it possible to order the M2C with different wheels? If not, does anyone know if the M2 wheels fit on an M2C or do the changes to the brakes on the M2C make that impossible?

Finally, and I know this is really subjective, but has anyone traded an M2 in at a dealership for an M2C and, if so, roughly what will a dealer pay for a used M2? Judging from ads I’ve seen, it looks like folks are selling 2017 M2s for mid to low $40Ks. So if I sell mine and buy a new M2C, I’d be looking at about $20K, base equipment to base equipment. Does that sound about right?

Thanks for any help.
      01-21-2019, 11:02 AM   #2
grinch
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 330d

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrettifan View Post
Apologies if there are answers to my questions elsewhere on this forum. I own a 2017 M2 (manual transmission) and love it, but I’m considering trading up to a new M2C. I welcome comments and information from anyone but ideally would like to hear from anyone who has owned an M2 and now owns an M2C. If you post an answer and are in the latter group, please let me know.
Hi, I had a M2 2017 6MT and now M2 comp 2019
Quote:
Are there any changes to the manual transmission and drive modes? Specifically, I really hate the rev matching function in the M2 and for that reason have only ever driven mine in Sport + with all the “nannies” fully turned off. I’m old (and old school), so I simply prefer to do my own rev matching on downshifts. Is it any easier to turn off the rev matching on the M2C and can that now be done without losing the traction control?

Are there changes to the drive chain other than the obvious switch of engines? And if so, how do they change the driving of the car, if at all? For example, I think I read somewhere something about changes to the differential?
it's all similar in both, but the driving of the competition is much smoother, more comfort in potholes and less differential stroke
Quote:
The auto stop/start function can be turned off in the M2. Is that still the case with the M2C?
yes, you can also disconnect forever using the bimmercode application

Quote:
I much prefer the wheels on the M2 to those on the M2C. I can’t find any wheel options on the build-your-own page of BMWUSA. Is it possible to order the M2C with different wheels? If not, does anyone know if the M2 wheels fit on an M2C or do the changes to the brakes on the M2C make that impossible?

Finally, and I know this is really subjective, but has anyone traded an M2 in at a dealership for an M2C and, if so, roughly what will a dealer pay for a used M2? Judging from ads I’ve seen, it looks like folks are selling 2017 M2s for mid to low $40Ks. So if I sell mine and buy a new M2C, I’d be looking at about $20K, base equipment to base equipment. Does that sound about right?

Thanks for any help.
You can choose the old wheels without problem. Many of us have done it.

Regards and sorry for my translation into English, I know it's terrible: lol:
Appreciate 1
catcher22294.00
      01-21-2019, 11:25 AM   #3
COChris
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2C

You can only swap to 437M wheels if you're in a market where you can choose the blue (smaller) brakes. That is not an option in the US. If you are in the US market, you can buy M Performance 763M wheels for around $3,000.

Auto start / stop can be turned off permanently with the button next to the ignition. Rev match can be turned off using BimmerLink or BimmerCode.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2019, 11:31 AM   #4
ryem3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 MB M2 CS

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1564336
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2019, 11:47 AM   #5
Inuyasha
“One finds limits by pushing them”
Rep

Quote:
I'm in the latter group.

Quote:
Tranny feels the same to me, drive modes have more combination selections, which is nice. We're stuck with same rev match features.

Quote:
I didn't know about this change of differential, but the power delivery is different. M2 to me, hit more on low end, seems this engine is more top end and revs more freely, more track focused I guess.

Quote:
Yup, but once its off its off, until you turn it on.

Quote:
No option on wheel choice except color, but you can use the M2 wheels with M2C brakes, no issue.

Quote:
I traded it in for Mid 40k, I went this route for ease of transaction and reduce taxes. Have no doubt, you will take a loss with the current market, question is, is it worth it?

For me it was worth it, because of the suspension, it's more supple/plush over bumps. All the other stuff, like seats, belts, headlights, and lets not forget the mirrors, the mirrors are a nice touch.

I think for a street car the M2 engine was better because the torque was on point at very low RPM's. The M2C doesn't hit as hard from a very slow rolling start. I can see on a track the M2C will shine, with the extra revs and top end hit.

MDM has changed, and you can slip the rear end easy with this mode compared to the M2. The traction control is definitely more reduced, more lively with this mode.. it also has a icon now for MDM, before it was just "DSC off" with the short click of the button, I believe.

Hope this helps.

Quote:
Thanks for any help.
No problem.
Appreciate 1
dmboone254972.00
      01-21-2019, 11:53 AM   #6
Inuyasha
“One finds limits by pushing them”
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryem3 View Post
I like this guy, good insight, and has cool voice.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2019, 12:32 PM   #7
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Apologies if there are answers to my questions elsewhere on this forum. I own a 2017 M2 (manual transmission) and love it, but I'm considering trading up to a new M2C. I welcome comments and information from anyone but ideally would like to hear from anyone who has owned an M2 and now owns an M2C. If you post an answer and are in the latter group, please let me know.

Are there any changes to the manual transmission and drive modes? Specifically, I really hate the rev matching function in the M2 and for that reason have only ever driven mine in Sport + with all the "nannies" fully turned off. I'm old (and old school), so I simply prefer to do my own rev matching on downshifts. Is it any easier to turn off the rev matching on the M2C and can that now be done without losing the traction control?

I much prefer the wheels on the M2 to those on the M2C. I can't find any wheel options on the build-your-own page of BMWUSA. Is it possible to order the M2C with different wheels? If not, does anyone know if the M2 wheels fit on an M2C or do the changes to the brakes on the M2C make that impossible?

Finally, and I know this is really subjective, but has anyone traded an M2 in at a dealership for an M2C and, if so, roughly what will a dealer pay for a used M2? Judging from ads I've seen, it looks like folks are selling 2017 M2s for mid to low $40Ks. So if I sell mine and buy a new M2C, I'd be looking at about $20K, base equipment to base equipment. Does that sound about right?

Thanks for any help.
A dealer told me they gave like 41k trade in on a 2017 (DCT?) with about 25k miles on it in northern California (no trade in tax credit). I didn't really investigate further so not sure how true or what kind of deal they got on the new car.
Appreciate 0