Rep
Drives: M2 + Z-4

Garage List
2014 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1s View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevlee23 View Post
Crazy 20k in Damage looks way less than mine with airbags windows I have bad suspension issues and bent stuff underneath

It's also gonna be another $5400 to replace the Xpel, and I have a $4400 diminished value claim, ~$600 in other damages, and a loss of use claim I can make that is some absurd number.
Anthony - over $1,000 for towing? How far were you towed?
      01-10-2019, 06:06 PM   #24
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 Mineral Grey M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich8566 View Post
Yea, I thought that was ridiculous too. The car was towed from the accident to a impound lot, then to the dealership the next day. A total of 6.5 miles. But the dealership paid the towing charge as soon as it was dropped off to them, so I couldn't argue the charge.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2019, 06:08 PM   #25
rich8566
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1s View Post
Quote:
Yea, I thought that was ridiculous too. The car was towed from the accident to a impound lot, then to the dealership the next day. A total of 6.5 miles. But the dealership paid the towing charge as soon as it was dropped off to them, so I couldn't argue the charge.
Wow - unbelievable. No wonder auto insurance costs so much.
      01-11-2019, 12:10 AM   #26
Soulmate
Private
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

My sales guy told me that if you call using the SOS button, you get free towing (no matter the distance) to the nearest BMW dealer (no matter if it's further away from where you want to go, you don't get to choose). Not only that, but you get reimbursed for room and board for (I think) up to $500 if you're away from home.

But you have to use the "SOS" button, otherwise it's a pain, or you're screwed, can't remember exactly what he said.

I have a M2C, and was told this just last week.
Appreciate 2
rich8566608.50
BAN_M2C4180.00
      01-17-2019, 02:01 PM   #27
LuvMyE92
Occasionally frequent poster
Rep
Drives: CT5V-Blackwing

To the OP: you're going to get a lot of advice here, and most of it will be good. Still, take it with a grain of salt. Let me throw in a few suggestions as well:

- do not get rude or offensive to the adjuster(s). They're just doing their job, and they'll be more likely to help you if they don't hate you.

- it's OK to tell the adjuster that you don't understand something, or need something explained. There is a lot of industry jargon and "standard practice" that you may not be aware of. Let them educate you.

- diminished value is a real thing. Insurance companies don't want to pay it, and they'll likely fight you on it. Be reasonable.

- the idea of insurance is to make you whole. In other words, make the car like it was before, or pay you for a reasonable replacement. It is not winning the lottery, and you shouldn't expect to make a profit off of the deal.

- adjusters are expected to resolve the claim quickly and for as little as possible. However, stuff happens, and it is a relatively rare, expensive automobile. So there's nothing wrong with stating your expectations (as long as they are reasonable).

A BMW approved shop (as mentioned before) for the car to be fixed properly, diminished value claim, rental car, etc. are all reasonable. Expecting new OE parts is no longer standard business practice, but there probably aren't many other suppliers for M2 parts or M2 parts cars, so you'll likely get new parts anyway.

As for the comments about airbags - see what happens is, all of that is mentioned in the CarFax reports (serious damage, airbag deployed) which affects resale value. Hence the diminished value claim. There is no doubt that there is a diminished value, the problem is agreeing on the amount.

When you add up all of that stuff, and the potential for being "one of those" BMW owners who expects perfection, then the adjuster and his company may decide that it's just easier to declare the car a total loss and save everyone a lot of hassle and money. If that's what you want.

Best of luck.
Past: E24,E28(3),E34,E36,E37,E38(2),E39(4),E46,E89,E92 (obviously),F01,F06,F10,F30,F87,G12,G30(2),G82(2)
Appreciate 1
dio7.50
      01-17-2019, 10:01 PM   #28
kevlee23
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 e92 335xi, F87 M2 AW EXEC

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvMyE92 View Post
To the OP: you're going to get a lot of advice here, and most of it will be good. Still, take it with a grain of salt. Let me throw in a few suggestions as well:

- do not get rude or offensive to the adjuster(s). They're just doing their job, and they'll be more likely to help you if they don't hate you.

- it's OK to tell the adjuster that you don't understand something, or need something explained. There is a lot of industry jargon and "standard practice" that you may not be aware of. Let them educate you.

- diminished value is a real thing. Insurance companies don't want to pay it, and they'll likely fight you on it. Be reasonable.

- the idea of insurance is to make you whole. In other words, make the car like it was before, or pay you for a reasonable replacement. It is not winning the lottery, and you shouldn't expect to make a profit off of the deal.

- adjusters are expected to resolve the claim quickly and for as little as possible. However, stuff happens, and it is a relatively rare, expensive automobile. So there's nothing wrong with stating your expectations (as long as they are reasonable).

A BMW approved shop (as mentioned before) for the car to be fixed properly, diminished value claim, rental car, etc. are all reasonable. Expecting new OE parts is no longer standard business practice, but there probably aren't many other suppliers for M2 parts or M2 parts cars, so you'll likely get new parts anyway.

As for the comments about airbags - see what happens is, all of that is mentioned in the CarFax reports (serious damage, airbag deployed) which affects resale value. Hence the diminished value claim. There is no doubt that there is a diminished value, the problem is agreeing on the amount.

When you add up all of that stuff, and the potential for being "one of those" BMW owners who expects perfection, then the adjuster and his company may decide that it's just easier to declare the car a total loss and save everyone a lot of hassle and money. If that's what you want.

Best of luck.
Thanks for the post.

UPDATE: had the shop resubmit and estimate pretty high so waiting a couple days as the insurance company said they are finding a comparable market value in my area for what the car is going for pre accident to see if worth totaling. I'm hoping they do as there will be supplements down the road the shop explained. Things the adjuster did not see was the tow truck guy dragging the car onto the tow truck in gear which will mess up the trans down the road. When he drug it the cord just slammed my exhaust up into my diffuser and so forth treating the car like dirt
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2019, 08:41 AM   #29
LuvMyE92
Occasionally frequent poster
Rep
Drives: CT5V-Blackwing

Quote:
Things the adjuster did not see was the tow truck guy dragging the car onto the tow truck in gear which will mess up the trans down the road. When he drug it the cord just slammed my exhaust up into my diffuser and so forth treating the car like dirt
This (unfortunately) is S.O.P. They just want to get the car loaded and off the street so that they can get another one.

When my poor beloved E39 M5 was in an accident (and totaled) the tow guy was literally kicking the wheel to get it straight. Sure, the tie rod was broken, so that really was the most economical way to move the wheel, but it kind of hurt me to watch this guy kicking my car.

I was told later that when the cars are sent to salvage auctions (as mine ended up going) they pick them up with front loaders to move them around the yard. That can crush the exhaust, cats, not to mention damage floor pans and other bits.

It's a brutal world.
Past: E24,E28(3),E34,E36,E37,E38(2),E39(4),E46,E89,E92 (obviously),F01,F06,F10,F30,F87,G12,G30(2),G82(2)
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2019, 09:41 AM   #30
Taheemr
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M6 GC

Quote:
I strongly recommend you take the car to a certified BMW repair shop. Not just a regular dealer, but a true certified repair shop. There are about 69 of them in the USA. They not only provide expert factory spec repairs, they fight with the insurance company to get the funding necessary to do the repair properly. Also, if the car is repairable, they will repair it to factory specs and it will drive like new. Ask me how I know.

I had my M6 repaired by an approved shop here in the UK, claimed the £35k off my insurer and made a royal cock up of the repair, in the end BMW GB made the retail arm of the shop buy it back from me. Really depends on who does the repair
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2019, 05:51 PM   #31
rich8566
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taheemr View Post
Quote:
I strongly recommend you take the car to a certified BMW repair shop. Not just a regular dealer, but a true certified repair shop. There are about 69 of them in the USA. They not only provide expert factory spec repairs, they fight with the insurance company to get the funding necessary to do the repair properly. Also, if the car is repairable, they will repair it to factory specs and it will drive like new. Ask me how I know.

I had my M6 repaired by an approved shop here in the UK, claimed the £35k off my insurer and made a royal cock up of the repair, in the end BMW GB made the retail arm of the shop buy it back from me. Really depends on who does the repair
In the USA BMW "approved shops" are not BMW Certified Collision Repair Centers. I was almost fooled once on this point. There are only about 69 BMW Certified Collision Repair Centers in the USA. Here's a link on this subject: https://www.autobody-review.com/cert.../bmw-certified
      01-26-2019, 08:15 AM   #32
kevlee23
Private First Class
Rep

UPDATE:

So they totaled my car, thinking about picking up an M3
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2019, 09:25 AM   #33
Fear-Mongrel
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 LCI 6MT LBB

Quote:
So they totaled my car, thinking about picking up an M3
Congrats! Seriously...that's the best outcome. Walk away, start over with something fresh and new. Let us know how the shopping goes...
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2019, 10:28 AM   #34
dtmurf
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2

Garage List
1996 BMW 318is  [4.75]
2012 Audi Q5  [4.50]
2017 BMW M2  [10.00]
Sorry to hear and see that but it looks like it did its job of protecting you, everything else is paperwork.

Probably not the time but how is that the rear quarter panel?
      01-26-2019, 11:08 AM   #35
kevlee23
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtmurf View Post
Sorry to hear and see that but it looks like it did its job of protecting you, everything else is paperwork.

Probably not the time but how is that the rear quarter panel?
Yep I went to pull parts other day to sell! Really it wasn't even bad haha I just pushed for a total.. now the question is m3 daily or another M2? m2 is soooo fun but kind of want a daily 4 door DCT
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2019, 06:23 PM   #36
mikal9913
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 M2

M2!!!!!!!
Appreciate 0