Cleanest Supra ive ever seen

Appreciate 0
      01-06-2019, 03:27 PM   #2
JRF
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991.1 GTS (NSX, M2, e92 gone)

a 1994 Supra, mint, bone stock, 7k miles, sold last week on Bringatrailer for $121k.
Appreciate 1
      01-07-2019, 10:47 AM   #3
MartyE12345
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp AW, S2000

I was watching that auction. The car is amazing, 120k is a little rich for my blood though. It sounds like it’s going to sit at a dealer in Chicago.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1994-toyota-supra-19/
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2019, 10:52 AM   #4
CosmosMpower
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87c, GT3, MK7 GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRF View Post
a 1994 Supra, mint, bone stock, 7k miles, sold last week on Bringatrailer for $121k.
That is nuts
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2019, 06:36 PM   #5
heavyD^2
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyE12345 View Post
I was watching that auction. The car is amazing, 120k is a little rich for my blood though. It sounds like it’s going to sit at a dealer in Chicago.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1994-toyota-supra-19/
Nice car but that rear bumper looks like it's been resprayed with a poor match at that. That's a lot of money for a car that doesn't have original paint all around. Also looks like it spent a lot of time stored outdoors as the control arms look pretty weathered for only 7K miles. Still a car in amazing shape and a true classic.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2019, 08:14 PM   #6
TTBear
Captain
Rep
Drives: '20 Huracán/'19 M2Comp/'23 X4M

Wow.

My older sister had a '93 six-speed targa- bought it brand new for around CDN$60k. I sold it for her in 2004 for a small profit with 9k km on it to a dealership in Ottawa, and thought she did great. Her car was exactly the same as the one in the auction, except it had black interior.

If we had only known....... craziness. What an icon.

@heavyD^2 - I think Toyota had problems matching the paint on rear bumpers, as my sister's car had the exactly same issue, from factory.
      01-07-2019, 08:24 PM   #7
JRF
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991.1 GTS (NSX, M2, e92 gone)

bumper

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyD^2 View Post
Nice car but that rear bumper looks like it's been resprayed with a poor match at that. That's a lot of money for a car that doesn't have original paint all around. Also looks like it spent a lot of time stored outdoors as the control arms look pretty weathered for only 7K miles. Still a car in amazing shape and a true classic.
the color match of the bumper has been debated by all manner of both real and arm-chair paint experts, ad-nauseum. (keep in mind, this auction listing went viral)

it was not likely a respray. just a circumstance of the bumper being a different material than the body and requiring a paint additive at the time of original manufacture and assembly. it aged and discolored differently like so many cars of the era.

I could certainly be wrong, but this is the majority interwebs opinion, and I personally concur with it.
Appreciate 1
TTBear414.50
      01-07-2019, 09:38 PM   #8
heavyD^2
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

If you look at a HS M2C you will see that the front and rear bumper covers look a slightly different shade in the right light compared to the metal panels this is due more to the pearl being harder to match as well as the plastic surfaces having a different base color than primered metal. This is not the case with this car as indoors it's pretty clear it's a different shade and the front bumper matches well so if both the front and rear were off maybe but the rear is clearly darker. I have experience with this as I had a 93 MR2 Turbo in Super Red and like that red the Renaissance Red on the Supra was single stage and it was matched very well by Toyota from the factory. I have a very hard time believing Toyota in the 90's especially (when they strived to be the best) was releasing cars like that.

This was my car. Factory paint with perfect match. Single stage is great if you like detailing as with a mild polish you can make it look like the day it rolled off the factory. Issue being that it's messy on pads and rags and you have to be careful not to remove too much paint. There were a few edges on this car that went down to the primer due to years of polishing and maybe me not being careful enough. Take a look at my car which is the way it came from the factory and again at that Supra. People are free to believe whatever they want but I have absolutely no doubt that bumper cover was painted. Not a huge deal at the end of the day providing it was in nothing more than a mild fender bender or small incident but first thing I would do with that car is get a proper match on that.
Attached Images

Last edited by heavyD^2; 01-07-2019 at 09:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2019, 10:16 PM   #9
Mr Pete
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 997 GT3 4.1, Golf R (daily)

Quote:
You think that’s crazy?

https://www.chicagotoyota.com/used/T...1671850fc7.htm

As Marty mentioned, this will sit lol
Appreciate 1
TTBear414.50
      01-07-2019, 10:38 PM   #10
TTBear
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyD^2 View Post
If you look at a HS M2C you will see that the front and rear bumper covers look a slightly different shade in the right light compared to the metal panels this is due more to the pearl being harder to match as well as the plastic surfaces having a different base color than primered metal. This is not the case with this car as indoors it's pretty clear it's a different shade and the front bumper matches well so if both the front and rear were off maybe but the rear is clearly darker. I have experience with this as I had a 93 MR2 Turbo in Super Red and like that red the Renaissance Red on the Supra was single stage and it was matched very well by Toyota from the factory. I have a very hard time believing Toyota in the 90's especially (when they strived to be the best) was releasing cars like that.

This was my car. Factory paint with perfect match. Single stage is great if you like detailing as with a mild polish you can make it look like the day it rolled off the factory. Issue being that it's messy on pads and rags and you have to be careful not to remove too much paint. There were a few edges on this car that went down to the primer due to years of polishing and maybe me not being careful enough. Take a look at my car which is the way it came from the factory and again at that Supra. People are free to believe whatever they want but I have absolutely no doubt that bumper cover was painted. Not a huge deal at the end of the day providing it was in nothing more than a mild fender bender or small incident but first thing I would do with that car is get a proper match on that.
I can guarantee you that my sister's identically-coloured Supra's rear bumper looked exactly the same as what you see in those pictures! The rear bumper was darker, even as we viewed it on the dealer's showroom floor!
I have had my car detail results chosen to feature on the Autopia website and Facebook pages, so I'm not just some guy that hasn't a clue what they're talking about.
I also had an MR2 in red (loved that thing - it was my first mid-engined car ), when I was overseas - the colour match between metal and plastic painted surfaces was less than ideal, again, from factory.
I do agree with you though - single stage paint is special. No reason why you can't obtain better-than-factory looks with clear coat finishes, as well, though!
      01-07-2019, 10:43 PM   #11
TTBear
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSDadMobile View Post
Quote:
You think that’s crazy?

https://www.chicagotoyota.com/used/T...1671850fc7.htm

As Marty mentioned, this will sit lol
$500k????

Sure that car isn't up here in Canada, where we just legalized weed? :