BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > Regional Forums > AUSTRALIA > Question regarding disk and pad replacement

12-23-2018, 05:24 AM   #1
CaptainCripps
Rep
Drives: 2016 WRX

Question regarding disk and pad replacement

Hey all,

Have any of you had your disks and/or pads replaced yet?

Did you go OEM or aftermarket?

Where did you have it done and what did it cost?

I like to budget for things and seeing as the tires aren't going to last long i might as well budget for the brakes too haha.

Thanks in advance guys and girls.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2018, 02:59 PM   #2
Muffy
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

I changed pads only to Pagid RS29s and added stainless brake lines and better fluid. Everything else stock still. Made a huge difference on track BUT not at all recommended for road use as they squeak like hell and need hard application when cold.

If you track the car regularly, do it. Otherwise I'd just get uprated street pads.

Works done by BM Autowerks in Melbourne, who were good. Don't ask price as I can't remember and would need to dig out an invoice very reasonable though!
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2018, 01:58 AM   #3
CaptainCripps
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffy View Post
I changed pads only to Pagid RS29s and added stainless brake lines and better fluid. Everything else stock still. Made a huge difference on track BUT not at all recommended for road use as they squeak like hell and need hard application when cold.

If you track the car regularly, do it. Otherwise I'd just get uprated street pads.

Works done by BM Autowerks in Melbourne, who were good. Don't ask price as I can't remember and would need to dig out an invoice very reasonable though!
But..i did ask about price.. hahah all good. thanks for the feedback.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2018, 06:03 AM   #4
Muffy
Private
Australia
Rep

CaptainCripps, you shamed me into looking it up

Via Sparesbox

Pagid Racing E4931 RSL 29 - Endurance Front Brake Pad Set $482
Pagid Racing E4933 RSL 29 - Endurance Rear Brake Pad Set $395

Labour and parts via BM Autowerks (works were done with Camber plates and oil change so take the breakdown with a pinch of salt)

Motul racing brake fluid 600 (500ml) $108
Stainless brake hose kit all 4 wheels $220
Fit pads $270
Flush / replace fluids $90

Grand total $1565 so pretty expensive but on track there is far less poo coming out when you actually slow when you want to (as opposed to running long or wide) so I reckon for me it is worth it
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2018, 06:43 PM   #5
atlas
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: F10 535i, M2 LCI, G05 X5 40i

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Motul-RB...QDUE:rk:1:pf:0

Is this the same brake fluid?
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2018, 03:01 AM   #6
Muffy
Private
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlas View Post
Probably... ...not! Seems too cheap 🤣

Honestly, no idea but I'm sure your point is DIY is far cheaper, which I agree with. I just CBF with work, family, friends etc so I paid a premium to get someone else to do it...
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2018, 03:47 AM   #7
specka
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2 LCI BSM

Garage List
2017 BMW M2 LCI  [0.00]
FYI I had a brake fluid and pad upgrade done recently, using Castrol SRF and Ferodo DS2500 pads and it was 1295 from memory, from another Melbourne workshop.
      12-27-2018, 08:55 AM   #8
Muffy
Private
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by specka View Post
FYI I had a brake fluid and pad upgrade done recently, using Castrol SRF and Ferodo DS2500 pads and it was 1295 from memory, from another Melbourne workshop.
Interesting, thanks Specka. Seems that allowing for the steel brake line upgrade I had too the pricing is pretty close overall.

Specka, have you tracked the car yet with the new pads? I'd love feedback on them on and off track - do they squeak for example?
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2018, 04:50 PM   #9
papertarget
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Lci

Quote:
Oh feedback please. How do they go daily? I am about to pull the trigger on these
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2018, 03:07 PM   #10
specka
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2 LCI BSM

Garage List
2017 BMW M2 LCI  [0.00]
hey guys,
I did Phillip Island a day or so after the pads and fluid were done, so pretty much bedded them in on the circuit. I was surprised initially at how there was more modulation in the brakes then before, my stock pads were kind of 'grabby'. I was worried at first this meant there was no stopping power but across the 4 sessions I never once had an oh shit moment (from the brakes I mean, plenty from my ability)
They were strong and reliable. My only disclaimer, I have no point of comparison on track as it was my second track day and I don't know what pads BMW use on the cars for the M Advanced 1 day. If I had to guess, I'd say something more track specific as they screeched like crazy.

On the road there had been a tiny bit of squealing after just driving in the city, but seems to have cleared up. They are definitely a bit dull when cold, you just need to get a bit of heat into them.
I did a 370km drive yesterday up and around northwest Victoria (yes in the 40deg C outside temps)
, gave the car a good thrashing and again no issues.
      12-29-2018, 05:05 PM   #11
atlas
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: F10 535i, M2 LCI, G05 X5 40i

Quote:
hey guys,
I did Phillip Island a day or so after the pads and fluid were done, so pretty much bedded them in on the circuit. I was surprised initially at how there was more modulation in the brakes then before, my stock pads were kind of 'grabby'. I was worried at first this meant there was no stopping power but across the 4 sessions I never once had an oh shit moment (from the brakes I mean, plenty from my ability)
They were strong and reliable. My only disclaimer, I have no point of comparison on track as it was my second track day and I don't know what pads BMW use on the cars for the M Advanced 1 day. If I had to guess, I'd say something more track specific as they screeched like crazy.

On the road there had been a tiny bit of squealing after just driving in the city, but seems to have cleared up. They are definitely a bit dull when cold, you just need to get a bit of heat into them.
I did a 370km drive yesterday up and around northwest Victoria (yes in the 40deg C outside temps)
, gave the car a good thrashing and again no issues.
Sounds like a great hybrid street/track option. Do keep us posted on how it's going! Is there much dust?
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2019, 03:16 AM   #12
CaptainCripps
Rep

How many KS's are people getting out of their pads and disks? And what kind of use? Street/Track?
Appreciate 0