11-18-2018, 05:52 AM   #67
Karmic Man
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris719 View Post
What kind of race is this, lol. This guy can't drive and the "race" is probably not even 1/8th of a mile.

Overheating

The only thing he managed to do was spin his tires.
Yeah he is obviously new to high performance cars...

In the past he will need to man up his car control skills to really be worthy to drive such a powerful car. Now he can just leave the stability system on and 'race' around. 20 years from now probably the car can do everything for him and he is just along for the ride
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2018, 12:39 PM   #68
dubzz24
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by carloshombre View Post
Hey dude! Time for you to get into an M2 .

DM me if you wanna get pushed through a contact I have at Brian Jessel. They have a blue, manual one for a stellar price.
Hey, that’s my new-to-me M2
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2018, 04:01 PM   #69
entaiiie
Rep
Drives: 18' 6MT MG

Quote:
Originally Posted by champignon View Post
You need to drive more manual cars, if you think that the Golf R 6MT is "the most boring manual car I've driven." That's a really silly statement.
I've owned/driven a dozen+ manual cars, including a Mk7 Golf R and an M2. I back his opinion of the golf r being one of the most boring manual cars to drive. just because it's capable and refined does not make it exciting or fun. the noise it produces is awful. there's no drama in anything it does, it just .. does it. it lacks soul, it lacks feel - it's numb.

don't get me wrong, it's a great all around car.. but being a special version of a driver's car means you need to focus first and foremost on the driver's experience. it performs, it just doesn't feel special or create excitement for the driver in any way.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2018, 04:24 PM   #70
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M;Z3M Cp;135is Vert, 996TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by entaiiie View Post
I've owned/driven a dozen+ manual cars, including a Mk7 Golf R and an M2. I back his opinion of the golf r being one of the most boring manual cars to drive. just because it's capable and refined does not make it exciting or fun. the noise it produces is awful. there's no drama in anything it does, it just .. does it. it lacks soul, it lacks feel - it's numb.

don't get me wrong, it's a great all around car.. but being a special version of a driver's car means you need to focus first and foremost on the driver's experience. it performs, it just doesn't feel special or create excitement for the driver in any way.
I could make some of the same comments in a comparison of the M2 vs. a 1M, both of which I am fortunate enough to own. The M2 is a pale shadow of a 1M, when it comes to driving engagement and fun, feels clinical and contrived, and yet you can buy a new one now and there isn't much better to buy instead, especially from BMW. If BMW was still offering the 1M for sale, I would never have even considered buying my M2 (whose presence allows me to keep my 1M as a lightly used garage queen).

As to the Golf R, it is similarly a question of what would you get instead, in today's market, that's better, and won't make you look like an overgrown teenager in the process. I used to own an STi, which undoubtedly is more engaging vehicle, however I don't think I could stand to be in one for more than 20 minutes at this point, the overall experience being pretty terrible (not to mention way less practical). All the other cars in the segment would embarrass the shit out of me to be seen in, plus they aren't really any better anyway.

As someone who demands a MT in my cars, the choice nowadays is pretty piss-poor. And within the choice present today, the Golf R is pretty good for what it is, warts and limitations and all.
      12-01-2018, 04:42 PM   #71
No Boost
enthusiasm > practicality
United_States
Rep
Drives: 987 CS | G35x

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by champignon View Post
I could make some of the same comments in a comparison of the M2 vs. a 1M, both of which I am fortunate enough to own. The M2 is a pale shadow of a 1M, when it comes to driving engagement and fun, feels clinical and contrived, and yet you can buy a new one now and there isn't much better to buy instead, especially from BMW. If BMW was still offering the 1M for sale, I would never have even considered buying my M2 (whose presence allows me to keep my 1M as a lightly used garage queen).
You've reiterated this point ad nauseam to the point of making people nauseated.
Appreciate 2
MR_M2517.50
tranck499.00
      12-01-2018, 10:56 PM   #72
B58togo
Major
Rep
Drives: M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karmic Man View Post
Yeah he is obviously new to high performance cars...

In the past he will need to man up his car control skills to really be worthy to drive such a powerful car. Now he can just leave the stability system on and 'race' around. 20 years from now probably the car can do everything for him and he is just along for the ride
Isn't that the truth....

Karmic Man1996.00
      12-02-2018, 12:26 AM   #73
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M;Z3M Cp;135is Vert, 996TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stage IV View Post
You've reiterated this point ad nauseam to the point of making people nauseated.
I guess you and some "people" need to change the channel?
      12-02-2018, 02:23 AM   #74
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by B58togo View Post
Isn't that the truth....

Wow lol, this guy needs to learn how to drive. It's a freaking DCT too. I understand how you can really unsettle the car if its a 6MT.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2018, 10:24 AM   #75
digimattic
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 6MT LBB M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by carloshombre View Post
OP here. I got my 2016 M2 last Feb with 7000km for 54k.

They offered me garbage for my R as trade in at first but ended up with a reasonable amount.
Sorry for the late reply. Very similar number here - $55,000 for the 2017 with 2,500km on it.
Appreciate 0