BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Best intake for performance gains?

07-30-2021, 01:24 AM   #1
DailyDownshift
Battle Tactician
Canada
Rep
Drives: TR G87

Best intake for performance gains?

Did the bootmod3 stage 2 tune with downpipe, charge pipe and intercooler. Trying to squeeze out every last drop of power without going E85, meth injection or stage 2 turbo. What intakes provide actual performance gains? I realize they wont add much, but I would be content with even 5 extra HP.

Looking at injen right now because it sounds good, doesn't look stupid and doesn't cost a lot but ultimately performance is all I care about. Any thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2021, 01:42 AM   #2
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daily Downshift View Post
Did the bootmod3 stage 2 tune with downpipe, charge pipe and intercooler. Trying to squeeze out every last drop of power without going E85, meth injection or stage 2 turbo. What intakes provide actual performance gains? I realize they wont add much, but I would be content with even 5 extra HP.

Looking at injen right now because it sounds good, doesn't look stupid and doesn't cost a lot but ultimately performance is all I care about. Any thoughts?
Intakes don't add any power with the MPPK air box bottom and really nice paper filter that the m2 has. Even without an air filter the m2 doesn't gain any power on the dyno so drop in filters are also useless there is a dyno on this forum proving that. From the years of testing that I have seen the stock air box is not restrictive at all and you won't see any power gains even with a maxed out PS2, there was a dyno on n54tech years back with an m135i guy on a ps2 running without an intake (inlet only) and there was no gains showing that the stock intake is not a bottle neck. The dyno charts showing intake gains are comparing a cold air intake on a base n55 with the really restrictive charcoal filter + non mppk air box, and the gains were so minimal at best.

honestly with the stock turbo and even ps2 you won't find any power gains to be had with an intake. If you want real gains get a turbo inlet that is actually the major bottle neck of the intake system on these cars. Intakes are for noise and pretty much nothing else imo.
      07-30-2021, 01:56 AM   #3
DailyDownshift
Battle Tactician
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F87source View Post
Intakes don't add any power with the MPPK air box bottom and really nice paper filter that the m2 has. Even without an air filter the m2 doesn't gain any power on the dyno so drop in filters are also useless there is a dyno on this forum proving that. From the years of testing that I have seen the stock air box is not restrictive at all and you won't see any power gains even with a maxed out PS2, there was a dyno on n54tech years back with an m135i guy on a ps2 running without an intake (inlet only) and there was no gains showing that the stock intake is not a bottle neck. The dyno charts showing intake gains are comparing a cold air intake on a base n55 with the really restrictive charcoal filter + non mppk air box, and the gains were so minimal at best.

honestly with the stock turbo and even ps2 you won't find any power gains to be had with an intake. If you want real gains get a turbo inlet that is actually the major bottle neck of the intake system on these cars. Intakes are for noise and pretty much nothing else imo.
Would I be losing any performance by swapping out the intake? Even though some sound really good I wouldn't be willing to lose HP for sound. Thanks for all the good info here btw
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2021, 02:21 AM   #4
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Would I be losing any performance by swapping out the intake? Even though some sound really good I wouldn't be willing to lose HP for sound. Thanks for all the good info here btw
No you won't lose HP unless the intake is causing stuttering (even then when you go WOT it will switch to speed density and at that point it would eliminate any issues caused by the intake) because the maf housing was designed poorly. Only the CTS turbo intake is immune to any of these issues, I have literally never seen a CEL or stuttering issue on the CTS intake.

Oh yeah and heat soak could cause you to loose power but I doubt it is very likely because of the intake duct on the m2 forcing cool air into the intake area, so as long as you keep the stock intake bottom the ducting will still be there.

Honestly I think stock is best, bmw finally did a damn good job with this one part to the point where I don't think an upgrade is needed unless you want the sound.
      07-30-2021, 02:26 AM   #5
DailyDownshift
Battle Tactician
Canada
Rep

Quote:
No you won't lose HP unless the intake is causing stuttering (even then when you go WOT it will switch to speed density and at that point it would eliminate any issues caused by the intake) because the maf housing was designed poorly. Only the CTS turbo intake is immune to any of these issues, I have literally never seen a CEL or stuttering issue on the CTS intake.

Oh yeah and heat soak could cause you to loose power but I doubt it is very likely because of the intake duct on the m2 forcing cool air into the intake area, so as long as you keep the stock intake bottom the ducting will still be there.

Honestly I think stock is best, bmw finally did a damn good job with this one part to the point where I don't think an upgrade is needed unless you want the sound.
Also, which turbo inlet would you recommend? Did some forum reading and it seems like it's pretty damn restricting.

Last edited by DailyDownshift; 07-30-2021 at 02:26 AM.. Reason: mistake
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2021, 02:28 AM   #6
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
1) K&N vs. Stock showing you the non charcoal paper filter isn't at all restrictive.

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...4&postcount=11

2) This is what the stock intake bottom looks like:

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...x/11122334344/

Look at that massive orange cut out for the mppk boxes, it virtually eliminates all restriction.

The only time I believe the stock intake tube will be a bottle neck is if you push insane power like 700 whp+. Otherwise I don't think even a stage 2 turbo sucks enough air to cause a problem.
      07-30-2021, 02:51 AM   #7
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Also, which turbo inlet would you recommend? Did some forum reading and it seems like it's pretty damn restricting.
Go with a silicone tube intake don't do a solid metal one there is no flex with those and puts alot of stress on the mouth of the turbo, my garbage designed pure turbos metal inlet cut a groove into the mouth of the turbo creating alot of small metallic scraps that luckily didn't get sucked into the compressor because it was on the outside of the turbo.

So I recommend anyone with a metal tipped inlet use some silicone or PTFE lube (like bmw did on the stock plastic inlet which is why it was so fricken gooey when I removed it, bmw also put a bunch of silicone lube on the throttle body side charge pipe O-ring so they weren't worried with it getting into the engine) to provide lubrication and act as a film to hopefully prevent metal on metal contact as best as possible (and if there is metal on metal contact it will act as a goop to trap metal particles). https://www.super-lube.com/multi-pur...-syncolon-ptfe

This is my personal favorite grease because of how high quality it is, it is food grade (doesn't matter at all), has an insanely high operating temperature range, hasn't ever gone goopy or slushy on me and stays in the same state as it was applied. Apply only to the outside edge of the inlet so it doesn't get sucked into the turbo.

So my rating of inlets (X are rated the same):

1) MST silicone inlet - because it is proven to fit at the moment, it is really expensive though.

X) BMS silicone inlet - it is really affordable and looks like it has good quality but I haven't seen fitment data.

X) CTS silicone inlet - again affordable and looks like good quality.

Again I personally would avoid all metal inlets they are absolutely garbage imo, they have no flex so all the stress ends up on your turbo inlet mouth and install/clearance is a nightmare.
      07-30-2021, 03:14 AM   #8
DailyDownshift
Battle Tactician
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Go with a silicone tube intake don't do a solid metal one there is no flex with those and puts alot of stress on the mouth of the turbo, my garbage designed pure turbos metal inlet cut a groove into the mouth of the turbo creating alot of small metallic scraps that luckily didn't get sucked into the compressor because it was on the outside of the turbo.

So I recommend anyone with a metal tipped inlet use some silicone or PTFE lube (like bmw did on the stock plastic inlet which is why it was so fricken gooey when I removed it, bmw also put a bunch of silicone lube on the throttle body side charge pipe O-ring so they weren't worried with it getting into the engine) to provide lubrication and act as a film to hopefully prevent metal on metal contact as best as possible (and if there is metal on metal contact it will act as a goop to trap metal particles). https://www.super-lube.com/multi-pur...-syncolon-ptfe

This is my personal favorite grease because of how high quality it is, it is food grade (doesn't matter at all), has an insanely high operating temperature range, hasn't ever gone goopy or slushy on me and stays in the same state as it was applied. Apply only to the outside edge of the inlet so it doesn't get sucked into the turbo.

So my rating of inlets (X are rated the same):

1) MST silicone inlet - because it is proven to fit at the moment, it is really expensive though.

X) BMS silicone inlet - it is really affordable and looks like it has good quality but I haven't seen fitment data.

X) CTS silicone inlet - again affordable and looks like good quality.

Again I personally would avoid all metal inlets they are absolutely garbage imo, they have no flex so all the stress ends up on your turbo inlet mouth and install/clearance is a nightmare.
Saw some videos online of the install and it looks like hell. Probably going to buy the MST V2 and have it installed at a shop. Pricing doesn't look horrible at $200.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2021, 03:22 AM   #9
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Saw some videos online of the install and it looks like hell. Probably going to buy the MST V2 and have it installed at a shop. Pricing doesn't look horrible at $200.
Oh I think the price dropped then, yeah that's better.

Install wasn't fun but wasn't bad imo.
      07-30-2021, 02:33 PM   #10
Sundinisagod
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2

Most people are doing the diverter valve (or blow off valve if wanting added noise) when they do the turbo inlet. Turbosmart would be my choice but gfb is popular too.
Appreciate 1
      07-30-2021, 02:57 PM   #11
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundinisagod View Post
Most people are doing the diverter valve (or blow off valve if wanting added noise) when they do the turbo inlet. Turbosmart would be my choice but gfb is popular too.
+1

Yes there is alot of be gained wgdc and throttle response wise with a diverter valve.

I personally went with a gfb dv+ desire turbo smart being an option. I just personally like the gfb dv+ concept more and since the factory solenoid is very robust I wanted to retain that and replace the parts that aren't too good (aka the plastic piston).
      07-31-2021, 10:01 AM   #12
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:

I don't think you will notice any performance difference between the different intake brands.

Injen is our most popular intake, its the loudest as well

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 2
      08-14-2021, 08:04 PM   #13
peterbigblock
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, LBB, DCT

Quote:
Quote:

It's possible, yes. Oiled filters are not a good choice for a street car. They load up with particulate quickly and their air flow rate drops dramatically, well below that of a similarly-loaded OEM paper filter. Non-oiled filters don't do a good job of filtering, leading to dirty oil and engine wear. Also, many aftermarket intakes draw hot air from the engine bay, which you don't want.

So the best you'll get with an aftermarket intake, if you clean the filter regularly like on a race car, is no more power and slightly dirtier oil.

And induction noise, which is the only "benefit" if that's what you want.
      08-20-2021, 11:53 AM   #14
MacFever
Private
Rep

Best is stock with perhaps an aftermarket dry drop in filter
Appreciate 1
///M TOWN16569.50
      08-20-2021, 02:06 PM   #15
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M235i

Stock with a drop in filter would get my vote. While a actual intake can improve performance slightly (CTS Turbo) it’s mostly noise.

The dry flow filter was show to not increase particulate matter in another members blackstone test, so no worries there.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2021, 02:47 PM   #16
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmuroRay View Post
Stock with a drop in filter would get my vote. While a actual intake can improve performance slightly (CTS Turbo) it’s mostly noise.

The dry flow filter was show to not increase particulate matter in another members blackstone test, so no worries there.
There's a Dyno of a k&n drop in by a member here and there was no performance gain. The stock Mahle filter without the carbon filtration layer is not restrictive at all and rivals after market drop in filters. Mahle did a really really good job with the stock filter.
      08-20-2021, 03:51 PM   #17
bradwags
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

CTS Turbo! For noises lol
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2021, 06:30 PM   #18
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
There's a Dyno of a k&n drop in by a member here and there was no performance gain. The stock Mahle filter without the carbon filtration layer is not restrictive at all and rivals after market drop in filters. Mahle did a really really good job with the stock filter.
Link?
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2021, 07:10 PM   #19
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Link?
Scroll down a bit: https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1661597
      08-20-2021, 10:30 PM   #20
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, I read through that and I immediately spotted the issue.

What is he tuning with? BM3 or MHD? (Likely MHD based on his location) If it’s MHD, it’s a load based tune, there won’t be any gains after the targets are met.

The only may for him (or anyone) to note tangible differences is by driving and/or reviewing the logs for changes in MAF reading, WGDC and fuel trims (indicating less restriction)

Last edited by AmuroRay; 08-20-2021 at 10:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2021, 11:52 PM   #21
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, I read through that and I immediately spotted the issue.

What is he tuning with? BM3 or MHD? (Likely MHD based on his location) If it’s MHD, it’s a load based tune, there won’t be any gains after the targets are met.

The only may for him (or anyone) to note tangible differences is by driving and/or reviewing the logs for changes in MAF reading, WGDC and fuel trims (indicating less restriction)
I have no clue what his tune is, but this isn't the only one. On n54tech even with a jb4 tuning via boost based tuning there was a user in Europe that dynoed with an airbox vs. no air box just turbo inlet and there was still no gains. His goal was to determine if the stock air box was restrictive with a stock turbo, and the answer was no. This also would show that the stock filter isn't restrictive since there was no power gain. I keep trying to find that thread but n54tech's search isn't good. There are also jb4 logs of stock vs. intake and charge pipes on the same map and still no wgdc drops indicating the stock air box and filter assembly really isn't restrictive.

I can't remember but I think someone here did a similar thing with either jb4 or bm3 since those were the first 2 tunes available. I'll look around.
      08-22-2021, 09:45 AM   #22
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I have no clue what his tune is, but this isn't the only one. On n54tech even with a jb4 tuning via boost based tuning there was a user in Europe that dynoed with an airbox vs. no air box just turbo inlet and there was still no gains. His goal was to determine if the stock air box was restrictive with a stock turbo, and the answer was no. This also would show that the stock filter isn't restrictive since there was no power gain.
Did he post logs? Either way, I’d assume a car would show the same or less power, considering there is less surface area to pull air from on a open tube vs filtered element.

But we KNOW Tube intakes make power on these cars, it always has:

Quote:

I keep trying to find that thread but n54tech's search isn't good. There are also jb4 logs of stock vs. intake and charge pipes on the same map and still no wgdc drops indicating the stock air box and filter assembly really isn't restrictive.

I can't remember but I think someone here did a similar thing with either jb4 or bm3 since those were the first 2 tunes available. I'll look around.
Let me know what you find
Appreciate 0