BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Burbles & Stage 1 93 octane

05-15-2021, 09:45 PM   #1
vrooooom
New BMW owner
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2 LCI

Burbles & Stage 1 93 octane

Hi guys.

Seems to have a whole lot more burbles now than the stock on Sport +. I would estimate about 3-4 seconds duration now. One time I even heard a "bang" which might be what I have heard describe as "gunshot".

Is that normal?

Not really liking it ...seems to go on for far too long.

I'm now hearing this fast subtle blr-rrrr-rrrr-rrrr sound that I wasn't hearing before when I quickly let go of the throttle during more aggressive driving. I love that. Is that the diverter valve?

I'm playing around w/ the CUSTOM settings now. Any idea if the numbers showing on the Custom is the OTS ...or the Original? It says 1.5s but I'm sure it's way more than that.

If there's a setting for Comfort (no label), Sport (labeled as Sport).... where's for the Sport+? It's what I use for my canyon runs.
2018 BMW M2 LCI BM3 Stage 2 + MPE + FTP charge pipe + MST V2 Inlet + TurboSmart DV + CSF FMIC + AA Hi-flow Downpipe + Turner Rear Shifter Bushing + Wiechers Strut Brace + Bilstein B16 PSS10 + Apex VS-5RS

Last edited by vrooooom; 05-15-2021 at 09:55 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2021, 03:38 PM   #2
tenkies
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 LBB 6MT

I noticed a longer duration and more aggressive burbles with the OTS map as well. I lowered the aggressiveness to 4 and duration of the burbles to .5 so as keep attention away from authorities.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2021, 03:49 PM   #3
CalAcacian
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

I noticed this as well. You can change it quite easily in the BM3 system.

With my sport cat, dinan res delete, and dinan exhaust with the valve open, the OTS burbles are way too aggressive in volume, tone, length of time and those gun shots you mentioned. Just getting off the throttle was embarrassing.

Even with the valve closed, it was a lot.

I'm actually running with no burbles currently, but I plan on adding some back in.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2021, 03:56 PM   #4
SebsM2
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

The brrrrt sound is something I've heard even on stock cars. Not sure exactly what it is, but I love it too. I know the guys over in the 2 series forum have been trying to tune it in but haven't been successful.

To answer your question, what's set as custom is just a pre-set custom setting. It's not the original (OEM) or ots.

Sport and sport+ both follow the settings for sport.

Try out no burbles, you may really like it.
      05-18-2021, 07:23 PM   #5
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
So weird. I adore the pops/bangs/burbles, and absolutely hate the long fart sound on throttle lift. Can't wait to get BM3 after my warranty is out and turn more burbles on and this damn cold start off.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2021, 08:43 PM   #6
SeanWRT
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 & F87 M2

There is the stock burble option in the map config.
      05-18-2021, 08:51 PM   #7
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanWRT View Post
Is there a "no fart" option??
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2021, 09:02 PM   #8
Dasnub
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrooooom View Post
Hi guys.

Seems to have a whole lot more burbles now than the stock on Sport +. I would estimate about 3-4 seconds duration now. One time I even heard a "bang" which might be what I have heard describe as "gunshot".

Is that normal?

Not really liking it ...seems to go on for far too long.

I'm now hearing this fast subtle blr-rrrr-rrrr-rrrr sound that I wasn't hearing before when I quickly let go of the throttle during more aggressive driving. I love that. Is that the diverter valve?

I'm playing around w/ the CUSTOM settings now. Any idea if the numbers showing on the Custom is the OTS ...or the Original? It says 1.5s but I'm sure it's way more than that.

If there's a setting for Comfort (no label), Sport (labeled as Sport).... where's for the Sport+? It's what I use for my canyon runs.
Curious how you like the map overall as I just had my intercooler installed and am going to be flashing Stage 1 93 this week...
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2021, 10:32 PM   #9
SeanWRT
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisualEcho View Post
Quote:
Is there a "no fart" option??
Yes. For OTS and custom map.

I've disabled burble since early 2018.
      05-19-2021, 06:56 AM   #10
MidnightM2
Private
Australia
Rep

Quote:
But this isn't the true "stock" configuration surely.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2021, 11:08 AM   #11
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:

Not the burble, I like the burble. The fart. The long brrraaappp when you let off the throttle in Sport and Sport+. Seems to be exclusively an M2 thing, and I hate it.

You can hear it here at 1:33 & 1:41 & 3:19 & 4:53.

Appreciate 0
      05-20-2021, 02:23 AM   #12
vrooooom
New BMW owner
Philippines
Rep

Quote:
So weird. I adore the pops/bangs/burbles, and absolutely hate the long fart sound on throttle lift. Can't wait to get BM3 after my warranty is out and turn more burbles on and this damn cold start off.
I'm the opposite. I hate those long burbles and love that fart sound. What's causing that "long fart" sound anyways?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasnub View Post
Curious how you like the map overall as I just had my intercooler installed and am going to be flashing Stage 1 93 this week...
To be honest i don't consider myself to be an expert on this car, I'm a newbie and sometimes i feel I'm not that senstive. But to answer that, I feel that it's not as smooth on low gear but the RPM seems to get up there faster. Seems can be described as "free-er". I guess that's due to the increased power. When on my canyon runs, it's all good and fun. Sometimes I hear the tires chirp on shifts.
2018 BMW M2 LCI BM3 Stage 2 + MPE + FTP charge pipe + MST V2 Inlet + TurboSmart DV + CSF FMIC + AA Hi-flow Downpipe + Turner Rear Shifter Bushing + Wiechers Strut Brace + Bilstein B16 PSS10 + Apex VS-5RS

Last edited by vrooooom; 05-20-2021 at 02:56 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2021, 07:22 AM   #13
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by vrooooom View Post
I'm the opposite. I hate those long burbles and love that fart sound. What's causing that "long fart" sound anyways?
Hey brother, it takes all kinds! It's something in the engine management software for sure, as it doesn't happen in comfort, only Sport and Sport+.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2021, 09:53 AM   #14
nioh_lbbm2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

I had this same concern and messaged BM3 support directly. Halim gave me a customized map that brought the "stock" burbles back to truly stock. I suggest you guys reach out to him if you want the same.
Appreciate 2
tenkies147.00
      05-22-2021, 02:52 AM   #15
SeanWRT
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Not the burble, I like the burble. The fart. The long brrraaappp when you let off the throttle in Sport and Sport+. Seems to be exclusively an M2 thing, and I hate it.

I'm pretty sure the fart you're referring to is not for drama but boost dumping related. In other words, undefeatable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightM2 View Post
Quote:
It's interesting you mentioned that. Technically, anything flashed thru BM3 or any other aftermarket tool is not "true stock" but tuner's best attempt to mirror the stock. The same goes for "stock" m2, m2/3/4 cs and m4 gts map under the BM3 OTS category.
It sounds to me that you see the details regarding the burble, care to elaborate to start more discussion?
      05-22-2021, 06:54 AM   #16
Dasnub
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I'm pretty sure the fart you're referring to is not for drama but boost dumping related. In other words, undefeatable.

It's interesting you mentioned that. Technically, anything flashed thru BM3 or any other aftermarket tool is not "true stock" but tuner's best attempt to mirror the stock. The same goes for "stock" m2, m2/3/4 cs and m4 gts map under the BM3 OTS category.
It sounds to me that you see the details regarding the burble, care to elaborate to start more discussion?
Isn’t it possible for them to pull a direct copy of the stock tune right off the DME? So many flash companies have (wrongly) talked about “flashing back to stock so the dealer can’t tell.” Surely they wouldn’t make that assertion without it being an exact replica?
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2021, 08:26 AM   #17
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Interesting, as it's not as present on any other boosted BMW that I know of. When I get BM3 I'll ask them if it can be tuned out anyway, you never know.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2021, 04:24 AM   #18
MidnightM2
Private
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightM2 View Post
Quote:
Hi Sean, burbles are pretty subjective but in my opinion the "oem" setting on bm3 stage 2 91 sounds nothing like burbles on a stock car or even on the custom dyno tune I've had on the car. Perhaps some people like them but my experience is they do not sound natural at all and are quite a bit louder with added gunshots when the exhaust is hot. I have Wagner 300cpi and Remus cat back. My ideal combination would be the OTS tune and truely natural burble which isn't obnoxious
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2021, 11:25 PM   #19
vrooooom
New BMW owner
Philippines
Rep

When I get my AA hi-flow downpipe which after ~2 months I'm still waiting, I'm going to remove the ASD altogether using BM3 which should turn the burbles off too. I have a good feeling I'd like that more than the ones being pumped by the speakers.

Come on AA, ship my downpipes already. Crazy wait times.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2021, 11:29 PM   #20
vrooooom
New BMW owner
Philippines
Rep

Gunshots: are they not the same as a backfire when the car (rich) has too much unburnt fuel and goes into the manifold to explode? Or when there's a leak on our exhaust and the oxygen reacts w/ the unburnt fumes and explodes.

This is supposed to be bad for the engine isn't it?
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2021, 03:42 AM   #21
3t3p
Major
New Zealand
Rep

My burbles and bangs much more since MHD stage 2. I never even went into the actual burble settings slider so assume it's running stock. However don't know if the stage 2 map has active burble coding in above baseline or it's a result of increased air/fuel/power whatever.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2021, 04:26 AM   #22
MidnightM2
Private
Australia
Rep

So I have figured out how to have the true oem factory burbles back on the car whilst running stage 2+ MHD map.

I have the luxury of having a bm3 licence aswell.

To get stock factory burbles:
1. Disable active sound in bm3 diagnostics interface.
2. Disable burbles in MHD map configuration

Video here:

https://youtube.com/shorts/HLzyT8Dp8io?feature=share

Don't ask me why this works but I am absolutely chuffed I have the factory stock burbles back!
Appreciate 0