BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > Differential squeeking??

04-23-2020, 02:45 AM   #1
Sedrik1982
Rep
Drives: 2020 F87 BMW M2C ordered

Differential squeeking??

Hi,
have cca 1600 km on my M2C. From the delivery I hear squeeking from rear part of the car. It is not the breakes (i think), since it squeek mosty during acceleration from standstill and turning, never during breaking. I cant hear it during driving - only when I drive really slowly.

Can it be the diff? Have anyone similar problem?
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2020, 06:18 AM   #2
bri1042
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2021 IOMG M3 6MT

I had a somewhat similar squeak for a bit a couple weeks ago. I had changed to my summer wheels, and hadn't driven the car much due to the pandemic. I was concerned that I had messed up a wheel, or that it might be the differential... But then I remembered that I'm driving a BMW and cleaned the door and window seals. The squeak went away.

Obviously, might not be the same thing, but I've gotten so many weird creaks and squeaks out of BMW door seals, its always where you should start.
Appreciate 2
      04-23-2020, 06:44 AM   #3
Sedrik1982
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bri1042 View Post
... But then I remembered that I'm driving a BMW and cleaned the door and window seals. The squeak went away.

Obviously, might not be the same thing, but I've gotten so many weird creaks and squeaks out of BMW door seals, its always where you should start.
Thank you for the tip - I will check the seals. But I think this is something different and sometimes very loud (inside and outside).

I will have first service in 400 Km, so I will let dealer look into it.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2020, 07:53 AM   #4
pizza240
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Competition xDrive

I think it's the fuel pump or something: on acceleration in sport or sport plus I hear a bit of a squeak on throttle with the window down... and sometimes after the exhaust burbles stop I hear the squeak again.

I've heard what I thought was the diff make a "crunch" sound before. It sounded almost like driving over an aluminum can.

I'm no mechanic, so I could be wrong about all of this... maybe I did drive over an aluminum can, and maybe there's a mouse living under my gas pedal.
Appreciate 1
      04-27-2020, 01:23 AM   #5
ImSoTired
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M2 Comp.

Yes. I have a constant squeak on the passenger side, sounds like from the rear. It is very noticeable on canyon/mountain drives and is present in all modes, DSC off, etc. It is present when I swap to my set of track wheels as well.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2020, 02:22 PM   #6
beMtroubleYou
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2C '18

Garage List
2018 M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pizza240 View Post
I think it's the fuel pump or something: on acceleration in sport or sport plus I hear a bit of a squeak on throttle with the window down... and sometimes after the exhaust burbles stop I hear the squeak again.

I've heard what I thought was the diff make a "crunch" sound before. It sounded almost like driving over an aluminum can.

I'm no mechanic, so I could be wrong about all of this... maybe I did drive over an aluminum can, and maybe there's a mouse living under my gas pedal.
YES! What is that sound???

I thought I ran over a can the other day, but there was no can.

Can someone indentify the sound for us? I have no idea what it is - heard it once so far, I´ve done 2000kms. (total 10000km)
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2020, 10:15 PM   #7
EmUc
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C LBB 6MT

Yes I hear a similar sound. It sounds exactly like a brake squeal but I'm not touching the brakes. Just driving really slowly (1-2 mph) and it seems to be coming from the rear. No apparent dirt or debris in the wheels or brakes (car is brand new). I'll get it checked out during the break-in service.
2012 135i SG DCT - Gone
2004 M3 LSB 6MT - Gone
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2020, 02:51 PM   #8
TrentMeister
Colonel
Rep
Drives: g82 comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmUc View Post
Yes I hear a similar sound. It sounds exactly like a brake squeal but I'm not touching the brakes. Just driving really slowly (1-2 mph) and it seems to be coming from the rear. No apparent dirt or debris in the wheels or brakes (car is brand new). I'll get it checked out during the break-in service.
This just showed up for me as well.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2020, 04:15 PM   #9
tokki
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2C

Might seem dumb but it very well could be a small rock stuck between your caliper and your wheel. These cars are NOTORIOUS for that.
Appreciate 1
      04-30-2020, 04:26 PM   #10
Sedrik1982
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tokki View Post
Might seem dumb but it very well could be a small rock stuck between your caliper and your wheel. These cars are NOTORIOUS for that.
You are right - I have this issue with.my E90 several times

But it was squeeking all the time - this is very random.

But I check rear calipers. Im scheduled for Monday 2000 km service, so I will ask technician - hope he will help
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2020, 02:01 PM   #11
beMtroubleYou
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2C '18

Garage List
2018 M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tokki View Post
I´ve had that. Not the same sound at all. The stone in heatshield is like a grinding noise.
Appreciate 2
      05-04-2020, 09:22 AM   #12
Sedrik1982
Rep

Status update - it was some junk in the rear brake. Servis removed it and it is fine. It's strange, since I first heard it on my way from pick up of the car - I must collect it on my very first trip 😳
Appreciate 2
EmUc13.50
ChrisK4449.00
      05-11-2020, 01:04 PM   #13
.Tranceparent.
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 AW M3CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBbluem2 View Post
Quote:
Has anyone figured this out? Started noticing this on my car as well - 2020 M2C with 1250 miles.

No squeaking noise when reversing, only on forward motion. It is constant and independent of braking. The description that it sounds like the braking squeal is accurate, but the brake isn't being applied.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2020, 09:08 AM   #14
NE_M2C
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C

I think I had something like this pop up recently - less than 300 miles here.

I was pulling away from a stop sign and I heard some sort of squeaking. I honestly thought it was the Stop Sign oscillating on the post from the wind LOL. The next intersection confirmed it was me. It only happened in the first 5-10 feet of movement, probably under 10 MPH. Hasn't happened since but I'm looking out for it.
Appreciate 1
      05-12-2020, 02:41 PM   #15
TrentMeister
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by .Tranceparent. View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Has anyone figured this out? Started noticing this on my car as well - 2020 M2C with 1250 miles.

No squeaking noise when reversing, only on forward motion. It is constant and independent of braking. The description that it sounds like the braking squeal is accurate, but the brake isn't being applied.
Mines in service as we speak. The shop Forman came out and said "yeah no way that's the brakes, we'll get it figured out"

I'll keep you guys posted
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2020, 01:27 PM   #16
.Tranceparent.
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Mines in service as we speak. The shop Forman came out and said "yeah no way that's the brakes, we'll get it figured out"

Eagerly waits
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2020, 02:53 PM   #17
NE_M2C
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C

x2! I noticed this sound a lot more today driving around town. So strange - it sounds like a brake squeak but it definitely happens when I'm beginning to accelerate with absolutely no foot on the brake.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2020, 05:53 PM   #18
TrentMeister
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Eagerly waits
Hey so it ended up just being a lubrication issue. They greased something up back there and now it's as quit as a mouse 👌🏼
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2020, 08:08 PM   #19
cptobvious
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C HS DCT

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Eagerly waits
Hey so it ended up just being a lubrication issue. They greased something up back there and now it's as quit as a mouse 👌🏼
That's what she said!
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
Davil6524.50
jdubm2c169.00
      05-16-2020, 08:11 PM   #20
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 F80 M3CS, %E2%80%9818 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptobvious View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Eagerly waits
That's what she said!
Consultants..... smh

/s
Wife's Prior Car: 2018 F80 M3, Yas Marina Blue, DCT, Black 19s, Carbon Structure Anthracite Cloth/Leather Combination, Driving Assistance Package (Euro Delivery Oct. 9, 2017)
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2020, 09:49 AM   #21
.Tranceparent.
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

My squeak just disappeared. So I'll chalk it up to one of world's mysteries.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2020, 02:36 PM   #22
M2Cmtl
Major
Rep
Drives: 21 Q7 & 22 4XE

1400 kms and I have the same sound. Only heard with windows down at low speed.