BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modifications > Matte Finish Care

09-02-2021, 03:40 PM   #1
contented
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C DCT, 2022 Ford Bronco

Matte Finish Care

I'm pondering a color change in the upcoming years from BSM to Ferrari Blu Tour De France Opaco (matte). I have access to talented high quality paint services. It would be a complete teardown, etc. My question is one of care and long term durability. I'm a geezer who gets a great deal of satisfaction from washing, waxing and otherwise keeping my cars clean. In my area we get "love bugs" several times a year. They can require some rubbing/scrubbing to get off - a bad thing on matte finishes. Care of matte finishes is very different from normal clearcoats. All of this concerns me.

Does anyone have knowledge or experience w/ BMW Frozen paint durability and care or matte finishes in general?

Thanks. Contented
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2021, 03:47 PM   #2
Foggins
Restless
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2C

I have experience with BMW frozen paint through a 2012 M3 in frozen silver I used to own. I was scared at first but after a bunch of research, found out that this type of paint is as durable as regular more glossy paint. But just need to be a bit more careful on products used (I ended up using Dr Beasley products for matte paint and it worked out great), and avoid car washes that use glossy soaps and waxes as that makes the paint glossy.

The only BIG pain in the butt is when it comes to correcting the paint or polishing scratches out...not nearly as easy as regular paint, and most likely need a professional to do it vs weekend warrior like myself.
Appreciate 1
contented193.50
      09-02-2021, 04:31 PM   #3
contented
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C DCT, 2022 Ford Bronco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foggins View Post
I have experience with BMW frozen paint through a 2012 M3 in frozen silver I used to own. I was scared at first but after a bunch of research, found out that this type of paint is as durable as regular more glossy paint. But just need to be a bit more careful on products used (I ended up using Dr Beasley products for matte paint and it worked out great), and avoid car washes that use glossy soaps and waxes as that makes the paint glossy.

The only BIG pain in the butt is when it comes to correcting the paint or polishing scratches out...not nearly as easy as regular paint, and most likely need a professional to do it vs weekend warrior like myself.
Thanks for your response. Makes me feel better. Had about talked myself out of matte. My son tells me that today's matte clearcoats are much improved over those of just a few years ago and not to worry. Too much over thinking it I guess.
Appreciate 1
Foggins1334.50