BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Cel help (crankhub?)

08-14-2021, 04:32 AM   #1
m25tfu
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 N55

Cel help (crankhub?)

I have a feeling I’ve hit the hard torque limiter which is making my crank vibrate or turn the crank which is creating friction causing the problem, the problem is under high load I lose all gears with drivetrain fault malfunction (not the usual one) I’ll post some pics of what MHD is reading out CEL

I have to sit and wait for either the crankhub or gearbox to completely cool down / sort itself out after this happens

Can another torque limiter removed fix this or will I need crankhub fix

Appreciate 0
      08-14-2021, 02:34 PM   #2
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by m25tfu View Post
I have a feeling I’ve hit the hard torque limiter which is making my crank vibrate or turn the crank which is creating friction causing the problem, the problem is under high load I lose all gears with drivetrain fault malfunction (not the usual one) I’ll post some pics of what MHD is reading out CEL

I have to sit and wait for either the crankhub or gearbox to completely cool down / sort itself out after this happens

Can another torque limiter removed fix this or will I need crankhub fix

1) if it was the crank hub fully slipping you would have had a crank position sensor (crank angle or cam angle off) code. Since that isn't happening I don't think it's the crank hub. Also with the crank hub slipping you'd get a drive train error that would persistent, just leaving the car to cool down wouldn't make it go away.

2) do you have data logs? What are your mods, what tune are you running, what fuel?

3) I still don't know what is going on with your car, your description makes no sense to me. So when you go WOT you get a drive train error and the car won't shift gears? This could be a myriad of things from the tune being to agressive for your fuel octane, to hardware issues on the car.

I recommend scanning for codes with ista first to make sure there isn't anything super severe going on, then going back to the stock tune and if possible stock mods and see if the issue reoccurs there. If it does it might be hardware related, if not then go back to the mhd tune but on a less agressive map and data log then go from there.
      08-15-2021, 02:05 PM   #3
m25tfu
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F87source View Post
1) if it was the crank hub fully slipping you would have had a crank position sensor (crank angle or cam angle off) code. Since that isn't happening I don't think it's the crank hub. Also with the crank hub slipping you'd get a drive train error that would persistent, just leaving the car to cool down wouldn't make it go away.

2) do you have data logs? What are your mods, what tune are you running, what fuel?

3) I still don't know what is going on with your car, your description makes no sense to me. So when you go WOT you get a drive train error and the car won't shift gears? This could be a myriad of things from the tune being to agressive for your fuel octane, to hardware issues on the car.

I recommend scanning for codes with ista first to make sure there isn't anything super severe going on, then going back to the stock tune and if possible stock mods and see if the issue reoccurs there. If it does it might be hardware related, if not then go back to the mhd tune but on a less agressive map and data log then go from there.
hey brother this was on a very lean map, the tuner said he leaned out 5500-redline to increase power top end, only log i have on this map is a 4th gear pull
https://datazap.me/u/m2ryanlol/puret...og=0&data=3-16

basically i was giving it some and randomly limp mode but then it changed to drivetrain fault not problem on screen said don't turn off engine, when i came to a stop i had zero gears ( they didn't even. display on dashboard ) at first i thought i blew the gearbox entirely lol after the police came and shut down the m25 the gears magically came back, after about 4-6hours of being stuck on the motorway, things to keep in mind, meth tank was pretty much dry but i doubt that was the problem due to this happening a second time yesterday with a full load of 70/30 mix in the boot, this is a 23.5psi, this is the stock gearbox with a gt/s flash on it, i haven't done the crankhub fix on her since it's an N55 i know its possible for them to go though, my tuner said " torque messed up the crackhub and let it spin a little bit, and it maxed out"
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2021, 04:56 PM   #4
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
hey brother this was on a very lean map, the tuner said he leaned out 5500-redline to increase power top end, only log i have on this map is a 4th gear pull
https://datazap.me/u/m2ryanlol/puret...og=0&data=3-16

basically i was giving it some and randomly limp mode but then it changed to drivetrain fault not problem on screen said don't turn off engine, when i came to a stop i had zero gears ( they didn't even. display on dashboard ) at first i thought i blew the gearbox entirely lol after the police came and shut down the m25 the gears magically came back, after about 4-6hours of being stuck on the motorway, things to keep in mind, meth tank was pretty much dry but i doubt that was the problem due to this happening a second time yesterday with a full load of 70/30 mix in the boot, this is a 23.5psi, this is the stock gearbox with a gt/s flash on it, i haven't done the crankhub fix on her since it's an N55 i know its possible for them to go though, my tuner said " torque messed up the crackhub and let it spin a little bit, and it maxed out"
I'm not going to lie to you but it's really hard to help you when your replies are all over the place, can you be a bit more clear and concise with your answers?

Second who is your tuner and why isn't he able to help you diagnose issues with his own tune?

Third, why did you run out of meth in traffic the meth system shouldn't be on unless past a certain RPM and boost set point (on low level meth system and on high level meth systems more conditions must be met before it sprays) and you shouldn't have hit any of those conditions in traffic. Also when you're out of meth a limp mode clearly needs to be set or your engine is toast.

Fourth do you have an upgrade tmap? Because the stock one cannot read past 21.5 psi.

Fifth, I haven't had time to read your logs yet but on a quick glimpse you're not hitting boost targets. It could be caused by so many things - what kind of turbo do you have because the stock one can't hit these boost levels at red line, you could have a boost leak etc etc.

Again you need to list your mods..... If you want someone to help you, you need to give them every single detail otherwise it'll be impossible to diagnose anything. It would literally be like going to the doctor and saying Im sick and giving no symptoms.
      08-15-2021, 05:35 PM   #5
m25tfu
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
I'm not going to lie to you but it's really hard to help you when your replies are all over the place, can you be a bit more clear and concise with your answers?

Second who is your tuner and why isn't he able to help you diagnose issues with his own tune?

Third, why did you run out of meth in traffic the meth system shouldn't be on unless past a certain RPM and boost set point (on low level meth system and on high level meth systems more conditions must be met before it sprays) and you shouldn't have hit any of those conditions in traffic. Also when you're out of meth a limp mode clearly needs to be set or your engine is toast.

Fourth do you have an upgrade tmap? Because the stock one cannot read past 21.5 psi.

Fifth, I haven't had time to read your logs yet but on a quick glimpse you're not hitting boost targets. It could be caused by so many things - what kind of turbo do you have because the stock one can't hit these boost levels at red line, you could have a boost leak etc etc.

Again you need to list your mods..... If you want someone to help you, you need to give them every single detail otherwise it'll be impossible to diagnose anything. It would literally be like going to the doctor and saying Im sick and giving no symptoms.
1stly mod list
csf intercooler
dorch stage1 hpfp
pure turbo stage2 hybrid
uprated charge pipes (throttle side), intake and turbo side
bms intake
jb4(removed)
stealth bms meth tank (cm10) on aem controller
3.5 sensor
decatted downpipe + full iPe titanium exhaust
gt/s mapping (diff, steering, gears)

2nd tuner is RFP cc https://www.rfptuning.com/

3rd it wasn't exactly 'traffic' i spray at 11psi and max at 15-16psi (aem controller v2)

4th 3.5 tmap

5th i have no clue why i cant hit targets, she goes in for a boost leak test this week i have a separate thread about this cc https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1848428

6th this is word for word what my tuner said about the error cc https://voca.ro/1fzrpOhcsvxN

7th sorry for the bad explanation i don't really know how to explain what happened or why it happened it felt like the car hit another torque limiter and just killed all power, similar to the feeling when the stock hpfp is maxed out and it dips hugely then throws a drivetrain error... anyways i hope the mod list helps...
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2021, 06:39 PM   #6
Enabled
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 328xd Wagon, M2 Competition

You need a better tuner. Their sorry attempt at blaming the crank hub *while you have torque monitoring codes* is ridiculous.

A good tuner knows how to tune and not have torque monitoring codes.
Others:
-E36 328is. 2000 Z3 Roady. 2003 VW Jetta TDI Manual. Estoril Z3M Coupe.
Appreciate 2
F87source7251.50
m25tfu25.00
      08-15-2021, 07:21 PM   #7
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
1stly mod list
csf intercooler
dorch stage1 hpfp
pure turbo stage2 hybrid
uprated charge pipes (throttle side), intake and turbo side
bms intake
jb4(removed)
stealth bms meth tank (cm10) on aem controller
3.5 sensor
decatted downpipe + full iPe titanium exhaust
gt/s mapping (diff, steering, gears)

2nd tuner is RFP cc https://www.rfptuning.com/

3rd it wasn't exactly 'traffic' i spray at 11psi and max at 15-16psi (aem controller v2)

4th 3.5 tmap

5th i have no clue why i cant hit targets, she goes in for a boost leak test this week i have a separate thread about this cc https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1848428

6th this is word for word what my tuner said about the error cc https://voca.ro/1fzrpOhcsvxN

7th sorry for the bad explanation i don't really know how to explain what happened or why it happened it felt like the car hit another torque limiter and just killed all power, similar to the feeling when the stock hpfp is maxed out and it dips hugely then throws a drivetrain error... anyways i hope the mod list helps...

1) Ok I am now looking at your logs, this really should be your tuner's job because he tuned it.

a) was your traction control on while logging? Because I see a sudden throttle body closure.
b) WGDC is pretty high the entire time while boost is never really hitting its targets if you ignore the throttle body closure causing the boost spike. You likely have a boost leak.
c) Wow your tuner is targeting alot of boost at a really low rpm, probably a bad idea because that'll cause alot of knock if your octane is insufficient and potentially LSPI in higher gears and high load scenarios - I would be scared to do 5th gear low rpm dyno pulls with this tune.
d) AFR throughout the pull was fine it wasn't lean at all, but when you hit the rev limiter at the end afrs dropped to 10 which could cause a bit of a stumble, but nothing concerning so far. I do not see the lambda target channel which should be there too so I can see if the car is hitting its lambda targets.
e) Your short term fuel trims are really negative throughout the pull, generally you want +/- 10% but you are above that. It is not too too bad, and is likely attributed to your meth kit spraying all that additional fuel. Since the car didn't throw any trim codes you should be ok. But again your tuner should be the one making this call since it is his tuning strategy. You should also log LTFT.

f) your tune is way too agressive for your octane, even while not hitting the boost targets your time corrections are way over 1* at high rpm and this is when the car isn't even hitting full boost - if it was hitting full boost you would get crazy knocking. This could be why your car is cutting power. Not sure why your tuner is letting this slide as an acceptable tune because imo it really isn't.... Overall imo your timing curves look like crap, cylinders are deviating alot in terms of timing and you are getting alot of knock. In an ideal circumstance (aka a good tune) your timing curves for each cylinder would overlap and look like a bowl shape tapering upwards as rpms climb. There would also be no knock.

g) Your tuner is probably messing up load maps because you are getting torque limiter codes again that could be the major factor (if not the factor) in causing your power to completely cut off.

Ok in summary you are not hitting boost targets and that could be due to a boost leak, your tune is way too agressive and your timing curves look terrible, you are getting throttle body closures, and fuel trims are not really ideal. IMO I would get a different tune from a different tuner (get it from a good tuner like Twisted tuning or bend calibration - they unfortunately don't tune with MHD) because this one doesn't look good for something that should be dialed in for your car specifically. It literally should be perfect and if the car was behaving weird i.e. boost leaks during tuning the tuner should have caught that and told you to fix it before continuing the tune.

2) Your meth kit is honestly not that good, imo I really don't like aem meth kits because they're not progressive and have zero safety. I personally would consider switching away from that kit if you value your engine. I did a whole discussion on that in another thread so I don't want to get into it here.

With that aside you should also not have your meth kit firing like that spray on set point and max spray are too close, you are essentially having an on off meth kit and every time it triggers you're drowning your engine in fuel forcing it to compensate - although your logs don't show super sharp stft spikes so it doesn't look too bad.

3) Boost leak: I would do a smoke test (not a pressure test because that only will tell you if you have a leak but not where the leak is) first and address any leaks. In terms of where the leak is coming from before a smoke test (because that will definitively tell you where the leak is) make sure all your O-rings are in place, orientated correctly (if the intercooler O-rings are backards you can have a leak due to that), lubricated correctly and not pinched. Also if make sure your meth nozzles are tightened down and have some thread sealer on them. Then check if all connections are all the way down on the charge pipe and if all C-clips are fully seated. Then check all hoses and sensors going to the charge pipe.

4) You should also get those fault codes addressed via ista, maybe flash back to the stock transmission settings.

Overall here is what I would do: diagnose with ista, look for a boost leak and fix it, then get a new tune and meth kit (controller + hardware). Otherwise all your other mods look solid.
Enabled1410.00
m25tfu25.00
      08-15-2021, 07:27 PM   #8
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enabled View Post
You need a better tuner. Their sorry attempt at blaming the crank hub *while you have torque monitoring codes* is ridiculous.

I didn't want to be so direct by trying to hint at it.

1) But yeah looking at the logs the tune looks like utter sh!t imo and they should be perfect since it is a custom tune.

2) During tuning if OP was getting boost leaks the tuner should have been smart enough to see it and tell OP to fix it before tuning commenced. He did not spot it so again huge warning sign.

3) blaming the crank hub without having any crank position sensor codes and having torque monitoring codes is another sign he is incompetent imo. I just listened to the audio recording and honestly idk is he even talking about. Even if the hub spun 1* the crank position sensor would put the car into full limp mode and you wouldn't be able to drive it let alone make less power. If you cleared the codes and pushed through your would get piston to valve contact and engine failure. You either have a spun crank hub or your don't there is NO middle ground where power is compromised.

4) There are threads about this guy blowing engines and bragging about it online.... So yeah imo probably do a bit more research before getting a tune from anyone guy.

https://www.sp oolstr eet.co m/thr eads/stay-away-from-rfp-tuning-aka-dean-fuhriman.4179/

(delete the spaces)

Again I don't want to be so harsh but I really do think the tune is the major part to blame along with a potential boost leak.
      08-15-2021, 08:22 PM   #9
Enabled
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 328xd Wagon, M2 Competition

Hah, I get it.
I really feel that if I don't beat around the bush in this case, I may save an engine's life.

This has nothing to do with blaming the decisions by OP, but that rather, he should probably consider someone else, ASAP.
Others:
-E36 328is. 2000 Z3 Roady. 2003 VW Jetta TDI Manual. Estoril Z3M Coupe.
Appreciate 3
F87source7251.50
m25tfu25.00
gphung193.50
      08-15-2021, 08:30 PM   #10
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Hah, I get it.
I really feel that if I don't beat around the bush in this case, I may save an engine's life.

This has nothing to do with blaming the decisions by OP, but that rather, he should probably consider someone else, ASAP.
Yeah normally I don't like talking about bad tuners but this OP's engine was in pretty bad shape with this tune so I had to warn him as well.

Nope I don't blame op, he trusted a tuner that probably shouldn't be trusted. Just be more careful next time when selecting a tuner.
m25tfu25.00
      08-16-2021, 04:25 AM   #11
m25tfu
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Yeah normally I don't like talking about bad tuners but this OP's engine was in pretty bad shape with this tune so I had to warn him as well.

Nope I don't blame op, he trusted a tuner that probably shouldn't be trusted. Just be more careful next time when selecting a tuner.
@f87source
@enabled
thank you so much for spending the time to have an in-depth look, Dean shouldn't be tuning cars, my car barely even turned on today from cold start i legit had to flash it back to stage0 on mhd lol rev's where bouncing so much that car was stalling and couldn't complete a cold start, this being said i've flashed PureBoost' off the shelf pureturbo beta map one of them gave me to test, even though its only boosting to 16-18psi it feels so much better no codes no bullshit randomly breaking down in the middle of the road, i'll get some new datalogs of it but heres an old of the off the shelf map pureboost gave me i didn't have meth installed at the time so try to ignore the crazy iats cc https://datazap.me/u/ryans/pureboost...-pureturbo-ots

I'm getting another smoke test done this week hopefully i'll be able to hit those boost targets thanks again
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2021, 04:27 AM   #12
m25tfu
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Hah, I get it.

i'm. probably gonna end up going with PureBoost, i would have gone with f80paul but i can't justify buying a new license system for BootMod3 when i already have the full 3yards on MHD
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2021, 12:49 PM   #13
m25tfu
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:

old tuner blocked, new tuner PureBoost is in contact with me via whatsapp + emails trying to work out a deal thanks again Enabled, looks like Deans maps in the past make it look like non-existent boost leaks exist in the logs
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2021, 10:35 PM   #14
Wolfman’s Brother
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2

Where can one find intel on good tuners and ones to avoid like this shmuck?

Can anyone share a few names that are considered top tier?
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2021, 12:40 AM   #15
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfman’s Brother View Post
Where can one find intel on good tuners and ones to avoid like this shmuck?

Can anyone share a few names that are considered top tier?
BM3 and ecutek = cookiesowns from bend calibration

MHD = justin whitted Twisted Tuning

I have also heard david shoup is really good and have heard nothing but good about him.

These are the only three individuals I have learned about and seen their work that I would trust my engine with.

Otherwise just google the name of the tuner and review, then the name of the tuner and issues or blown engine etc. Better yet look at the data logs of their tunes and see if it is good or not.
      08-19-2021, 01:14 PM   #16
Wolfman’s Brother
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
BM3 and ecutek = cookiesowns from bend calibration
FYI Re: Bend Calibration

“For M2 N55 we are doing ecutek only right now. Our BM3 tuner is pretty stacked with S55 BM3 tunes right now. We do have an N55 expert on our team however like I mentioned that's ecutek only as of right now.

Thanks for your inquiry.”

I’ve heard Cary Jordan’s name thrown around some too. Would love to hear any other well respected names in BM3 world if anyone’s got any.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2021, 01:23 PM   #17
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:

“For M2 N55 we are doing ecutek only right now. Our BM3 tuner is pretty stacked with S55 BM3 tunes right now. We do have an N55 expert on our team however like I mentioned that's ecutek only as of right now.

I’ve heard Cary Jordan’s name thrown around some too. Would love to hear any other well respected names in BM3 world if anyone’s got any.
I'd wait then and in the mean time use the ots maps.

Better do your research, alot of m2 guys here got really bad tunes from CJ.

If I were you I'd literally read hundreds of threads regarding a tuner before even giving them a chance to touch my car.
      08-19-2021, 03:23 PM   #18
cecaa850
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Quote:

Ecutec and Bend are a win. If you're going to start over this is the way to go.
Appreciate 0