BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Stage 3 Big Turbo Build

08-14-2021, 06:05 PM   #1
shaneguags
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Big Turbo BMW M2

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [9.42]
Stage 3 Upgraded Turbo Build

Hey guys, 4 months ago I bought an M2 that came with a stage 3 Speedtech big turbo kit. The kit currently is running a Borgwarner 8374 turbo and seeking help for what to do for power.

I'm pretty new to having a big turbo and funny enough I bought the car without knowing it came with the upgraded turbo. This week I had maintenance done to fix my boost issues. I had my local shop (ACI Dynamix) fix and weld the waste gate bracket on properly and reroute the tubing. I am still dialing down on the performance and making sure I am FBO before pushing higher PSI. However, I am still not educated about fueling upgrades. As of now, I am on a custom MHD stage 2 conservative tune with pretty much FBO minus intercooler, charge pipe, and boost. Since my car is already at the shop, this week I plan on getting the FTP charge and boost pipe paired with a 5.5 CSF intercooler installed ASAP before I leave for college. As well, I am going to get a custom MHD retune tune by my local shop (ACI Dynamix) to up the boost. However, for now since I don't have upgraded fueling, I was wondering if anyone had a rough idea of what the max crank hp and torque I can achieve with 93 pump gas on stock fueling with the upgraded turbo I'm running ? I would run mix fueling but unfortunately the closest gas station with e85 near me is 50 minutes and not easily accessible for me using the car as a daily.

I plan on adding more power next summer when I come back from college but unsure what route to take. I'm looking for roughly 500-600 crank hp max as it is a daily. As well, I'm looking for the most inexpensive route. I obviously want to have fun by increasing the boost but I don't want to go crazy. I was recommended port injection and a lpfp upgrade but like I said as of now I am unsure what route I want to take. If anyone has any suggestions on what to do it would really help a lot !

Current performance mods currently installed :

- Speedtech N55 BMW M2 with Borgwarner 8374 Turbo Kit

- FI-Exhaust with titanium tips and catless downpipe

- Eventuri V1 blue kevlar open box intake

- MHD Stage 2 custom tune
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2021, 06:34 PM   #2
neonbrown
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

More than likely you also bought it with an upgraded HPFP, but if not you will need to upgrade that as i'm sure you're already aware of.

MHD offers flex fuel capability, but you're going to need an additional for sensor for that i think.
Appreciate 1
shaneguags1192.50
      08-14-2021, 06:38 PM   #3
shaneguags
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [9.42]
Quote:
Originally Posted by neonbrown View Post
More than likely you also bought it with an upgraded HPFP, but if not you will need to upgrade that as i'm sure you're already aware of.

MHD offers flex fuel capability, but you're going to need an additional for sensor for that i think.
my shop said they didn't see it, supposing the guy parted it out. would I only need the hpfp or would I need a lpfp as well and other things to support it ?
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2021, 05:15 AM   #4
carchrism5
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2, X3 M40i, 911

Seems a little odd that someone would part out just fueling bits and leave an expensive exhaust and intake on it. You have some great hardware on the car now and I think building up for reliability on 93 would be my goal, especially given you're going off to school.

If you haven't already ordered the FMIC you might want to look at Wagner, I have CSF but just a Stage 2 car, not a big turbo and consensus is Wagner is a better route for bigger power numbers.

Given all that is in the car now I'd confirm HPFP, LPFP and definitely consider port injection. That car has the base to be an absolute riot and I'd love to see happen. I don't know about Monroe but I'm just a little south of you and E85 is so so, the most reliable station being in Greenwich. Not all E85 is the same and I know friends that regularly check that one station. This may be one more headache to get into E when you are still understanding fueling in general.

In the event you don't have an HPFP this is pretty popular https://dorchengineering.com/product...-hpfp-upgrade/
And if you look in the photo/video forum there's a guy with an excellent N55 M2 build who did the work himself so you can see what he did and he's been really helpful to others doing the same. Can't remember his name off hand but its a black OG in Canada with the plate "HIOFFICER" or something.
Appreciate 1
shaneguags1192.50
      08-15-2021, 05:18 AM   #5
shaneguags
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [9.42]
Quote:
Originally Posted by carchrism5 View Post
Seems a little odd that someone would part out just fueling bits and leave an expensive exhaust and intake on it. You have some great hardware on the car now and I think building up for reliability on 93 would be my goal, especially given you're going off to school.

If you haven't already ordered the FMIC you might want to look at Wagner, I have CSF but just a Stage 2 car, not a big turbo and consensus is Wagner is a better route for bigger power numbers.

Given all that is in the car now I'd confirm HPFP, LPFP and definitely consider port injection. That car has the base to be an absolute riot and I'd love to see happen. I don't know about Monroe but I'm just a little south of you and E85 is so so, the most reliable station being in Greenwich. Not all E85 is the same and I know friends that regularly check that one station. This may be one more headache to get into E when you are still understanding fueling in general.

In the event you don't have an HPFP this is pretty popular https://dorchengineering.com/product...-hpfp-upgrade/
And if you look in the photo/video forum there's a guy with an excellent N55 M2 build who did the work himself so you can see what he did and he's been really helpful to others doing the same. Can't remember his name off hand but its a black OG in Canada with the plate "HIOFFICER" or something.
awesome thank you for the response. I actually bought the intake separate and was recently my first added on mod. Also, is it possible for me to just run a stage 2 hpfp safely without the lpfp and port injection upgrade ? As well, will the 5.5" be able to support the hpfp upgrade or will I be needing a bigger intercooler size ? Everyone saying to get the evo 3 but it just seems very overpriced in my opinion and I'm not looking to go crazy with extreme power, maybe 550whp max.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2021, 05:29 AM   #6
carchrism5
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2, X3 M40i, 911

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaneguags View Post
awesome thank you for the response. I actually bought the intake separate and was recently my first added on mod. Also, is it possible for me to just run a stage 2 hpfp safely without the lpfp and port injection upgrade ? as well, will the 5.5" be able to support the hpfp upgrade or will I be needing a bigger intercooler size ? everyone saying to get the evo 3 but it just seems very overpriced in my opinion and I'm not looking to go crazy with extreme power.
You can absolutely run a HPFP on its own. You may want to get into conversation with your tuner because tuning is as important as the hardware. Have you tried tracking down a little more history on this car, some things just seem odd, like turbo kit and factory charge pipe. Maybe the last shop can give you some more insight.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2021, 05:39 AM   #7
shaneguags
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [9.42]
Quote:
Originally Posted by carchrism5 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaneguags View Post
awesome thank you for the response. I actually bought the intake separate and was recently my first added on mod. Also, is it possible for me to just run a stage 2 hpfp safely without the lpfp and port injection upgrade ? as well, will the 5.5" be able to support the hpfp upgrade or will I be needing a bigger intercooler size ? everyone saying to get the evo 3 but it just seems very overpriced in my opinion and I'm not looking to go crazy with extreme power.
You can absolutely run a HPFP on its own. You may want to get into conversation with your tuner because tuning is as important as the hardware. Have you tried tracking down a little more history on this car, some things just seem odd, like turbo kit and factory charge pipe. Maybe the last shop can give you some more insight.
I actually found out the shop that worked on it before and it was located in Texas. According to ACI Dynamix, they told me the guy left in the aftermarket intercooler bolts on the car so our guess was that he parted out the intercooler and charge pipe before selling the car. Also, the shop said the guy was running two different brands of coil ignitions and based on the routing of the lines of the car, the previous shop clearly didn't know what they were doing when installing the turbo kit. As well, they told me there was no port injection or meth injection going on and I think the previous owner just gave up with the build. The turbo install was posted by the Texas shop and it seems that the turbo was only on the car since February 21st (2 months before I bought the car). Due to this, I had ACI Dynamix inspect my setup and they fixed all the lining and fixed my waste gate so my car should be ready for FBO now. I think I will just do a HPFP then and a custom retune with ACI but still so confused with what power I can make and what intercooler to get. I talked to ACI about it and they said the 5.5" should work but I figured get other people's advice to get better insight.
Appreciate 0