BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Anyone here have the (catback) AFE Mach Force exhaust?

07-25-2021, 06:23 PM   #1
Matt Devo
Recovering RS4 owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Anyone here have the (catback) AFE Mach Force exhaust?

One popped up locally on craigslist, but already off the car so can't hear it in person. Videos found on YouTube are minimal / don't tell much.

What I'm looking for is: how does it compare to stock -- at idle, cold start, under load, and cruising on the highway?

My main complaint with the stock exhaust (w/Fabspeed sport cat) is the drone/resonance when cruising on the highway or under partial throttle. The sound just isn't "clean." The seller claims the AFE didn't drone, but not really in the mood to chance it without some independent confirmation

cheers,
Matt
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2021, 05:50 AM   #2
wassy4
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Devo View Post
One popped up locally on craigslist, but already off the car so can't hear it in person. Videos found on YouTube are minimal / don't tell much.

What I'm looking for is: how does it compare to stock -- at idle, cold start, under load, and cruising on the highway?

My main complaint with the stock exhaust (w/Fabspeed sport cat) is the drone/resonance when cruising on the highway or under partial throttle. The sound just isn't "clean." The seller claims the AFE didn't drone, but not really in the mood to chance it without some independent confirmation

cheers,
Matt
Can't speak on the AFE but the resonance/drone is only going to get worse with a louder exhaust.

Not entirely sure what you mean by not sounding "clean". Do you mean it sounds like a dump truck at low rpms? Lol

Previous - 2016 340i M-Sport | AWE Tuning Touring Edition Exhaust w/ Non-Resonated Performance Mid Pipe | Agency Power Intake | Active Autowerke Activ-8 | VRSF Catless Downpipe
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2021, 07:14 AM   #3
M Fifty
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2 & 330CI

How did the exhaust sound to you with the stock cat?
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2021, 07:28 AM   #4
EDWYER
Yoda of mods
Rep
Drives: X5 RWD

Garage List
2015 X5 RWD  [0.00]
2016 BMW M2  [10.00]
From everything I have read, the AFE will drone.
YT: https://www.youtube.com/@DWYERGARAGE/videos
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2021, 09:01 AM   #5
Matt Devo
Recovering RS4 owner
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M Fifty View Post
How did the exhaust sound to you with the stock cat?
dunno, bought the car with the Fabspeed and res delete already done. I swapped the resonator back in and it helped a little, but sound still a bit muddy
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2021, 11:42 AM   #6
Matt Devo
Recovering RS4 owner
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by wassy4 View Post
Can't speak on the AFE but the resonance/drone is only going to get worse with a louder exhaust.
that's certainly not universally true. My RS4 had a loud aftermarket exhaust, and zero drone. Another local OG M2 has a FI exhaust (IIRC) and it's quieter / has less drone with valves closed than stock.

Quote:
Not entirely sure what you mean by not sounding "clean". Do you mean it sounds like a dump truck at low rpms? Lol
there's lots of resonance in the cabin.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2021, 05:15 PM   #7
wassy4
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
that's certainly not universally true. My RS4 had a loud aftermarket exhaust, and zero drone. Another local OG M2 has a FI exhaust (IIRC) and it's quieter / has less drone with valves closed than stock.

Quote:
there's lots of resonance in the cabin.
A. I'm not talking universally, I'm talking specifically exhausts for this car. I had a 340i with a non-valved exhaust which also had zero drone, but this car is different.

B. From the looks of it, the AFE catback uses the stock valve which barely closes on the car without a valve controller. Even with a controller, it's not a big difference. It's 100% going to be much louder when paired with a downpipe, and will only make your issue worse. I have a Dinan exhaust that is the same way and it doesn't drone really at all but there's lots of resonance booms at certain RPMs. The FI exhaust has two valves on each side with its own controller to force shut the valves. I can almost guarantee that no aftermarket exhaust will be quieter than stock when paired with a downpipe even with valves closed. I bet it would be quieter with the stock downpipe though since the valve(s) can actually be closed in the proper scenarios. If it is actually quieter than stock when valves are closed, the exhaust isn't technically louder at that point, right?

I digress… I would recommend just taking the downpipe out and maybe just going the catback route with stock downpipe

Previous - 2016 340i M-Sport | AWE Tuning Touring Edition Exhaust w/ Non-Resonated Performance Mid Pipe | Agency Power Intake | Active Autowerke Activ-8 | VRSF Catless Downpipe
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2021, 06:10 PM   #8
Matt Devo
Recovering RS4 owner
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
I digress… I would recommend just taking the downpipe out and maybe just going the catback route with stock downpipe
well, I don't have a stock cat to swap in, and ideally I'd like to not lose performance =P
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2021, 06:14 PM   #9
wassy4
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
well, I don't have a stock cat to swap in, and ideally I'd like to not lose performance =P
I'm really not too sure then. I think my car sounded fantastic with downpipe and stock exhaust and had no resonance/drone at all. Maybe there's a leak?

Appreciate 0
      07-26-2021, 07:10 PM   #10
Matt Devo
Recovering RS4 owner
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
I'm really not too sure then. I think my car sounded fantastic with downpipe and stock exhaust and had no resonance/drone at all. Maybe there's a leak?
it's worth looking at, will check when my car is up in the air next week for an e90 slave, trans mounts, and a few other goodies
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2021, 01:15 PM   #11
Sundinisagod
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2

I hate to point out the obvious, but I will anyways. Did you delete the ASD?
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2021, 11:41 PM   #12
Matt Devo
Recovering RS4 owner
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundinisagod View Post
I hate to point out the obvious, but I will anyways. Did you delete the ASD?
yes, ASD has been disabled via BimmerLink
Appreciate 0