BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > S55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > AA Equal Length Midpipe (stock muffler and downpipes)

03-18-2021, 09:26 AM   #23
ChrisK
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ESB View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nettles View Post
Quote:
Haha what else do you want to see/hear?
Cold start with higher revs in closed/open valves? More drive bys from the outside?

This is asking a lot but if you ever are that bored I'm sure people would appreciate it. Enjoy it
Here's a clip of shifting close to redline til 80ish mph

I did a few drivebys but ran out of battery and the video ended early. Bummer.

I'll grab a cold start in next couple days. Spoiler alert: it doesn't sound good.
That's fantastic!
      03-18-2021, 04:39 PM   #24
ESB
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPT Smuggs View Post
Thank you for the videos ESB.

For those with the AA EL midpipe, the internet videos make the car sound amazing from the outside, but it makes the inside sound "duller" unless you're stepping on it. Is there any truth to that statement?

I like the low growls and other noises stock provides while driving around town under 3k. (above 3k sounds great to me as well, but too quiet) Looking for something about 20% louder without going over the top with the burbles, or eliminating them altogether. Basically trying to get a more aggressive sound without entering the JDM or muscle market.
Hmm ... not to my ears. I never thought much of the old sound from inside the cabin under 3k rpm though. I had ASD turned off and don't remember low growls from the inside under 3k. I think with EL midpipe you still get the low end growls you might be looking for, even inside the cabin.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2021, 11:49 PM   #25
ESB
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Hmm ... not to my ears. I never thought much of the old sound from inside the cabin under 3k rpm though. I had ASD turned off and don't remember low growls from the inside under 3k. I think with EL midpipe you still get the low end growls you might be looking for, even inside the cabin.
So I tried paying some more attention to this today. I think there is a low-end growl between 1-2k but then from 2-3k maybe it is slightly dull as you say? But i dunno, to me that's a good thing. It goes back to not wanting to draw a lot of attention during daily driving at 2-3k + not having drone.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2021, 09:39 AM   #26
No_curebimmer
~Spyder
Sweden
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C Hockenheim 6sp

Garage List
Quote:
I got my midpipe installed earlier this week! I'm loving it.

I won't bother trying to write up a detailed review. I don't have any past experience with other after-market exhausts & haven't had a chance to listen to other M2C systems in person.

I'll just say that I am really glad I made this purchase. Maybe I'll pair it up with AA's muffler (or any other) some time in the future. But I'm plenty happy with just the midpipe.

I did find the burbles to have gotten way too loud and obnoxious now so I coded them out with BimmerLink. I was never a big fan of them but after getting the midpipe replaced they really just went too far for my personal taste.

Here are some clips I recorded yesterday. Nothing fancy ... just my iphone. I recorded from inside with mixture of windows down and up which I don't think I had seen/heard before.
Hey Thanks for posting this...because of your vids, I just PM @mike@x-ph.com to place an order.

Now the wait begins...

Cheers!
      03-26-2021, 02:39 AM   #27
ESB
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Still loving it!! The creaking that I mentioned in OP seems to be totally gone now.

The rattling/vibrations at low rpm still happen sometimes but it's really not a big deal. I don't think it's worth it to me to take it back to the shop. For all I know they'll fix it only to make something else slightly off. I'm content with it as-is. 🥳
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2021, 02:17 PM   #28
No_curebimmer
~Spyder
Sweden
Rep

Garage List
Darn you OP @ESB...my wallet isn't happy and is much lighter at the moment: AA EL non-resonated order completed through mike@x-ph.com...thanks Mike!!!! Since my downpipes are and will remain stock, I've decided to keep it non-resonated/straight pipes

Initially I was gunning for the Dinan muffler section + the x-pipe, because it will clean up the sound (slightly) and get rid of the cow udder rear look. But seriously, the AA EL is far superior to my ears, it is as sexy as I have ever heard coming out of any inline 6 motor, I can live with the udder look for a while. May consider adding the Remus Sport muffler or AA's own back box at a later date...Besides, seems Dinan is still having supplier delays, as it has perpetually been back-ordered.

Does anyone know if AA much better at fulfilling orders and keeping schedule? The current ETA is late April, early May...and I'm hoping this remains pretty solid.
      03-26-2021, 02:30 PM   #29
No_curebimmer
~Spyder
Sweden
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

I'll grab a cold start in next couple days. Spoiler alert: it doesn't sound good.
This vid is the ICING ON THE CAKE: to me, this sounds like a Porsche Neunfer 992 gen!!! If you 'skip' the few seconds at the beginning, there is no way you would attribute that glorious exhaust/engine noise to a turbo charged BMW. Even more impressive considering how far the camera/mic was from the car while it was redlining away from the vantage point.

Well done AA
      03-26-2021, 02:32 PM   #30
to_riffic
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: rwd

Man....can't wait for this to come in along with my Akra exhaust mated to it....

Appreciate 0
      03-26-2021, 03:02 PM   #31
No_curebimmer
~Spyder
Sweden
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by to_riffic View Post
Man....can't wait for this to come in along with my Akra exhaust mated to it....
Curious, did you place order for it already? If I'm not mistaken, there are like 5-10 max YouTube videos/Bimmerpost owners of M2C sporting the AA EL (either rez or straight pipes), I think AA released only a few weeks back...

Man (AA EL midpipe + Akra back box) = that would be MONEY!!!
      03-26-2021, 03:05 PM   #32
to_riffic
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_curebimmer View Post
Curious, did you place order for it already? If I'm not mistaken, there are like 5-10 max YouTube videos/Bimmerpost owners of M2C sporting the AA EL (either rez or straight pipes), I think AA released only a few weeks back...

Man (AA EL midpipe + Akra back box) = that would be MONEY!!!
Yeah, ordered the EL (non res) through x-ph, so the backorder will take a while, probably end of next month, and Akra I ordered from buddy's shop, which is probably ready by mid next month. So realistically....not putting it together until early May probably since I don't want to cut my CS exhaust.

Appreciate 0
      03-26-2021, 04:10 PM   #33
No_curebimmer
~Spyder
Sweden
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by to_riffic View Post
Yeah, ordered the EL (non res) through x-ph, so the backorder will take a while, probably end of next month, and Akra I ordered from buddy's shop, which is probably ready by mid next month. So realistically....not putting it together until early May probably since I don't want to cut my CS exhaust.
Niiiice: also sporting an M2CS!!! Congrats on that special beauty!

Yep, same here: I anticipate NLT mid-May to have my own AA EL installed (I already gave my shop a heads up that I'll have them install it for me...I could probably handle the single AA midpipe install on my own, but don't want to take chances on the EL one though).

need. to. step. away. from. this. thread. meanwhile.

...the wait will be killing me, so I have to keep being distracted by something else.
      03-26-2021, 04:19 PM   #34
to_riffic
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Niiiice: also sporting an M2CS!!! Congrats on that special beauty!

Yep, same here: I anticipate NLT mid-May to have my own AA EL installed (I already gave my shop a heads up that I'll have them install it for me...I could probably handle the single AA midpipe install on my own, but don't want to take chances on the EL one though).

need. to. step. away. from. this. thread. meanwhile.

...the wait will be killing me, so I have to keep being distracted by something else.
Thanks! The wait definitely sucks. Away for PPF anyway and I'm so slammed from work, I doubt I even get to break-in miles when the exhaust gets here. Maybe get to at least 600 though. lol

Appreciate 0
      03-26-2021, 07:51 PM   #35
pawelczyk7
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 bmw m2 comp 6spd

geez you guys are killing me as that last vid of the EL mid pipe .. i had no choice and just ordered from X -pwrhouse. Sounds freakin sick and will replace my AA single mid pipe i just put on approx, 1 k miles ago ( ughhh which i think sounds very good ) and should sound great with my MPE..
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2021, 08:08 PM   #36
Nettles
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawelczyk7 View Post
geez you guys are killing me as that last vid of the EL mid pipe .. i had no choice and just ordered from X -pwrhouse. Sounds freakin sick and will replace my AA single mid pipe i just put on approx, 1 k miles ago ( ughhh which i think sounds very good ) and should sound great with my MPE..
Post videos if you can. This is the exact setup I’m going for when the time comes. Should have a unique sound.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2021, 08:36 PM   #37
ESB
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Does anyone know if AA much better at fulfilling orders and keeping schedule? The current ETA is late April, early May...and I'm hoping this remains pretty solid.
Mine arrived with Mike's original ETA. Idk if I got lucky and somehow squeezed in towards the end of the first batch? But I think mine arrived just 4 weeks after placing the order. Not too bad at all imo.

I'm hoping others in my area get EL midpipe and pair it to different rears. I'd love to take a listen and see how it compares.

I agree I'd like to get rid of the ugly look of the stock muffler. I'm worried that Remus will be too loud though. Also quite frankly the $$$ for the rear sections feels like bad ROI given how good the car sounds now. EL mid is only like $1200 whereas rear sections are more than double that from what I've seen.

Quote:
Quote:

This vid is the ICING ON THE CAKE: to me, this sounds like a Porsche Neunfer 992 gen!!! If you 'skip' the few seconds at the beginning, there is no way you would attribute that glorious exhaust/engine noise to a turbo charged BMW. Even more impressive considering how far the camera/mic was from the car while it was redlining away from the vantage point.

Well done AA
LOL yes I agree that video even surprised me when I heard it.
Appreciate 1
      03-26-2021, 09:03 PM   #38
to_riffic
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Not sure how you got it for $1200 when it's $1500 new.

Appreciate 0
      03-26-2021, 09:13 PM   #39
pawelczyk7
Second Lieutenant
Rep

i will post vid with my MPE and EL once installed etc. and current price is $1499 ( what i
just paid $ ) which i believe has increased from what it was 6 months or so ago .
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2021, 09:28 PM   #40
pawelczyk7
Second Lieutenant
Rep

it is amazing to me that the s55 has been out there since 2014 and taken a ton of negative press and while i do think there have been some decent improvements with different rear sections and mid pipes but nothing great IMO. NOW throw that all away as the EL by itself or with a number of rear sections will finally reduce the number of times i seek out video clips of the E92 m3's with aftermarket exhausts and daydream on how to i wished we could also have a great sound to go along with the S55 beast.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2021, 09:53 PM   #41
to_riffic
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawelczyk7 View Post
it is amazing to me that the s55 has been out there since 2014 and taken a ton of negative press and while i do think there have been some decent improvements with different rear sections and mid pipes but nothing great IMO. NOW throw that all away as the EL by itself or with a number of rear sections will finally reduce the number of times i seek out video clips of the E92 m3's with aftermarket exhausts and daydream on how to i wished we could also have a great sound to go along with the S55 beast.
The EL midpipe seems to have been the game changer. Back when I had my F80, I had, Eisenmann catless downpipe and full IPE system and it just sounded like crap. Now the EL seems to have changed the tone and makes it actually sound good in the S55 finally.

Appreciate 0
      03-29-2021, 08:42 PM   #42
Lt1camaro
Lieutenant
Iran
Rep
Drives: 2016 535i, 2015 435i, 2013 M3

How much louder would you say this setup got over stock?
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2021, 10:59 AM   #43
ESB
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt1camaro View Post
How much louder would you say this setup got over stock?
The burbles maybe doubled in volume so I turned them off.

Burbles aside, I'd say the car got maybe 20-30% louder during lower RPMs and 60-80% louder at high RPMs?

Hard to really say though.

Net-net I don't find it obnoxious for daily driving and it's a ton of fun when gunning it. This is coming from someone who has no experience with aftermarket exhausts and was nervous about having it be too annoying. No regrets.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2021, 03:14 PM   #44
No_curebimmer
~Spyder
Sweden
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
The burbles maybe doubled in volume so I turned them off.

Burbles aside, I'd say the car got maybe 20-30% louder during lower RPMs and 60-80% louder at high RPMs?

Hard to really say though.

Net-net I don't find it obnoxious for daily driving and it's a ton of fun when gunning it. This is coming from someone who has no experience with aftermarket exhausts and was nervous about having it be too annoying. No regrets.
OP...I'm the same boat. Limited experience with aftermarket exhaust: my goal is to eradicate the stock raspiness and tinny sound while increasing the low end growl. Without a doubt, your vids seem to solve these two...

In my opinion, and I know this may contradict some fellow members' viewpoints, the burbles interfere with the potential that the S55 engine/exhaust overall sound can reach. My entire '19 M2C is stock except those nasty, childish burbles which I coded them out via BimmerLink last Aug [really bothered me, so I asked the developer if they can be removed, got an iOS beta version (now it's officially released) - burbles have been gone since].

Cliff's Notes w.r.t. S55 engine/exhaust sound nirvana:

step 1: install AA EL midpipe
step 2: code out burbles
step 3 (optional, especially if the cow udder is an eye sore): install your favourite back box/muffler (Remus Sport seems the best sounding option, albeit not cheap)