BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > BIMMERPOST BMW M2 In Depth Review from Laguna Seca

02-18-2016, 10:01 AM   #265
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

A tad late Sam, but a great enthusiastic video from a non-pro journo(which is a compliment btw) . The best review so far(Eagerly awaiting Chris Harris, Steve Sutcliffe, Bovingdon, Matthias Malmedie and Tim Schrick driving/sliding the thing in the oncoming videos)

Because 10/10 journos/reviewers so far wanted the 6MT instead of the DCT I was at my dealership this afternoon and just changed my LBB M2 DCT on order to a 6MT...

...Because then I really know what I get, a bit more fun. And an easy gearbox. Production 5-16

Thanks to you too.

(Semi) Oldskool rules.

Now I have to find out which fuse is the electronic throttleblip

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2016, 10:35 AM   #266
hoyasaxa
Captain
Rep
Drives: GTI | 982 4.0

Has anyone figured out the driver's seat issue? Is it production, or just caused by non-standard seats in the euro spec car? (Although, manual seats are available in Europe, so you wouldn't think that would have been an issue...)
      02-18-2016, 10:53 AM   #267
Groundpilot
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135I DCT , e92 M3 DCT, Audi A6

Great video review OP
Now, when you are talking about performance comparison between M2 vs M3 M4, you said that there is no doubt that M3-4 are more capable cars, faster, grip better and are more sofisticated.
You maybe right about it on paper, but i would hold that judgement untill direct comparison is conducted between these cars by pro drivers on the track...
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2016, 11:02 AM   #268
Verbiage
Dismembered Member
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: F80 ZCP 6MT, R55 Clubman S 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin_NL View Post

Cheers
Robin
I bet you'll break it.

My delivery experience and beach photoshoot here.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2016, 11:02 AM   #269
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by chmura View Post
Yes that is true. The M3/M4 IMO out grown themselves. They are becoming slightly more grand tourer than what the M3 of the past once was.

Even the OP thinks so.

The M2 is yesterdays M3 IMO which is exactly why I want one.
M2 would be a great garage mate to an E90 M3. You should keep both
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2016, 01:36 PM   #270
Sam@Bimmerpost
Contributor - Editor
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 Silverstone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosozoku View Post
Let me guess: Gabriel Bridger. His review said he had "a moment" in the Corkscrew.
And his car showed the number 2 in the windshield. Yours showed number 1.
Therefore I deduce that he was directly behind you and his "moment" was why
you and Bill Auberlen had to slow down and let the rest of the group catch up.

Good! That proves that you were relaxed in the car. Can't go fast without relaxing.
And man, you were going fast!
Nope, it wasn't Gabe behind me! I do know Gabe but him and I were in different driving groups for the day. He's a great guy. I did hear about someone having a 'moment' in the corkscrew... maybe that was him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by z3lai View Post
Hi Sam
is the M2 u tested equipped with optional MP exhaust?
Thx
Hi, it was the normal exhaust. None of the cars we drove had the optional exhaust.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin_NL View Post
A tad late Sam, but a great enthusiastic video from a non-pro journo(which is a compliment btw) . The best review so far(Eagerly awaiting Chris Harris, Steve Sutcliffe, Bovingdon, Matthias Malmedie and Tim Schrick driving/sliding the thing in the oncoming videos)

Because 10/10 journos/reviewers so far wanted the 6MT instead of the DCT I was at my dealership this afternoon and just changed my LBB M2 DCT on order to a 6MT...

...Because then I really know what I get, a bit more fun. And an easy gearbox. Production 5-16

Thanks to you too.

(Semi) Oldskool rules.

Cheers
Robin
Thank you Robin. I'm glad you went with the 6MT. You will love the involvement and fun factor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundpilot View Post
Great video review OP
Now, when you are talking about performance comparison between M2 vs M3 M4, you said that there is no doubt that M3-4 are more capable cars, faster, grip better and are more sofisticated.
You maybe right about it on paper, but i would hold that judgement untill direct comparison is conducted between these cars by pro drivers on the track...
True, but it's hard to dispute the horsepower difference. We shall see but even if the M2 laps slower, I know which one I would rather be lapping in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
I agree. Keep both!
Appreciate 3
      02-18-2016, 03:04 PM   #271
Bosozoku
Almost completely sane
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M2, '00 S2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam@Bimmerpost View Post
Nope, it wasn't Gabe behind me! I do know Gabe but him and I were in different driving groups for the day. He's a great guy. I did hear about someone having a 'moment' in the corkscrew... maybe that was him. ...
You're just too quick, Sam!

And hey, "moment" in the corkscrew or not, Mr. Bridger is obviously a very experienced driver and writer.
Which reminds me of a quote:

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough."
- Mario Andretti
'17 BMW M2 (BSM 6MT Exec CarPlay, TechnicPnP ASD bypass, IND M Perf shift knob + keyhole cover, Pedal Haus pedals + heel plate, 3M CR90 tint, BavSound Ghost woofers, Racing Dynamics strut tower brace, Dinan midpipe, Turner intercooler)
'00 Honda S2000 (Silverstone Metallic, black leather, factory titanium shift knob + front lip + trunk spoiler, front shock tower brace, front subframe x-brace)
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2016, 03:43 PM   #272
Bosozoku
Almost completely sane
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M2, '00 S2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by e46e92love View Post
I find it ironic the way we all praise more engagement, less autos, lighter cars, less grand tourers, etc. ...
Agree. BMWs used to be all about sportiness. Now there's a heavy layer of luxury over that.
With a glittery spritz of glamour dust on top of it all.

But yeah, "engagement" and "fun" are the keywords everyone uses to defend the 6MT.
And sometimes "lightweight build." Because it saves what, 50 pounds?

The thing that kills the M2's 6MT for me is the auto rev-matching.
Heel-and-toe rev-matching on downshifts is the skill factor in manual shifting.
Take that away and I start to lose interest. No more challenge. No more fun.

Yes, I know you can defeat robo-blipping by by setting Driving Dynamics to Sport+.
But no, I don't think you should need to do that.
'17 BMW M2 (BSM 6MT Exec CarPlay, TechnicPnP ASD bypass, IND M Perf shift knob + keyhole cover, Pedal Haus pedals + heel plate, 3M CR90 tint, BavSound Ghost woofers, Racing Dynamics strut tower brace, Dinan midpipe, Turner intercooler)
'00 Honda S2000 (Silverstone Metallic, black leather, factory titanium shift knob + front lip + trunk spoiler, front shock tower brace, front subframe x-brace)
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2016, 05:29 PM   #273
dammitcubs
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '16 M2 LBB

The only conclusion I can seriously make about the auto-rev matching is that the car is so balanced that with the nannies off....it won't kill you.

BMW is not in the business to make a death vehicle. They have focus groups and intelligent people (maybe I shouldn't assume that). If there is a serious outcry for disabling auto-rev matching, they wouldn't make it so that it's so unappealing. Also, alot of the engineers there are car enthusiasts. I mean it was said - over and over, they love what they do.

I don't think there is a person there that loves disabling scheme for auto-rev matching. You have to go out of your way to change the programming scheme from M3/M4 to M2.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2016, 06:24 PM   #274
bdaddylo
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dammitcubs View Post
The only conclusion I can seriously make about the auto-rev matching is that the car is so balanced that with the nannies off....it won't kill you.

BMW is not in the business to make a death vehicle. They have focus groups and intelligent people (maybe I shouldn't assume that). If there is a serious outcry for disabling auto-rev matching, they wouldn't make it so that it's so unappealing. Also, alot of the engineers there are car enthusiasts. I mean it was said - over and over, they love what they do.

I don't think there is a person there that loves disabling scheme for auto-rev matching. You have to go out of your way to change the programming scheme from M3/M4 to M2.
I'm pretty sure it came down to cost and not safety. BMW should have allowed the driver to customize how he/she wants the car to be setup by utilizing programmable M buttons like they've done before on the M3 and M5/6.

1991 E30 M3/Brilliantrot
2017 F80 M3/AW
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2016, 06:40 PM   #275
Vocans
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Red tricycle

I'm pretty sure you can code off rev matching on the M3/4. Is it not reasonable to assume you'll likely be able to do the same on the M2?
      02-18-2016, 09:47 PM   #276
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush
Quote:
Originally Posted by -JLT- View Post
I understand what ur saying but to say it's like a grand tourer is a stretch. don't think a grand tourer does 7:52 seconds on the Nurburgring
The M5 does it in 7:55 and that's a luxo barge!
Which means an M6 competition package runs the same time.

M3, M4 , M5 and M6 are all GT cars.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2016, 09:49 PM   #277
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vocans
I'm pretty sure you can code off rev matching on the M3/4. Is it not reasonable to assume you'll likely be able to do the same on the M2?
I have EURO MDM from the E90 coded onto my 1M.

The F80 does have a setting that is independent. I would bet you insert that code or one could at the very least code the auto rev match permanently off if is that appalling to the owner.
Appreciate 1
      02-19-2016, 09:26 AM   #278
marcva
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36 M345

Getting close

Sounds like the general formula is great. Decent proportions...even some steering feel (Per MT review).

I still want 4 doors:

Marcva
Appreciate 1
      02-19-2016, 01:17 PM   #279
BGR
Captain
Rep
Drives: C7 GS 7MT; e90 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcva
Sounds like the general formula is great. Decent proportions...even some steering feel (Per MT review).

I still want 4 doors:

Marcva
Those proportions make the front bumper look a LOT better somehow. This would be my perfect car.
Appreciate 1
      02-19-2016, 01:19 PM   #280
BGR
Captain
Rep
Drives: C7 GS 7MT; e90 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam@Bimmerpost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundpilot View Post
Great video review OP
True, but it's hard to dispute the horsepower difference. We shall see but even if the M2 laps slower, I know which one I would rather be lapping in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
I agree. Keep both!
Another question for you...

How noticeable was the overboost, especially on the track? The 1M I had a chance to put some laps on seemed very abrupt and inconsistent when the overboost was provided. It actually made my 135i more predictable in certain situations.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2016, 03:29 PM   #281
Paul-Bracq-BMW
Australia
Rep
Drives: 1981 323i, sports M5, LSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcva

I still want 4 doors:

[IMG]https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-O...2520Orange.jpg[/IMG]

Marcva
BTW, This is on no way a future model from BMW, just my interpretation of what a M2 grand coupé should look like (more agressive front with slimmer headlights, longer wheelbase for more room in the back, etc)...
      02-19-2016, 09:47 PM   #282
marcva
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36 M345

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul-Bracq-BMW View Post
BTW, This is on no way a future model from BMW, just my interpretation of what a M2 grand coupé should look like (more agressive front with slimmer headlights, longer wheelbase for more room in the back, etc)...
Thank you for the render. It's one of my favorites. It's a stretch (pardon the pun) but I like the chiseled lines even if the proportions wouldn't coincide with a 4 door treatment of the current car.

It couldn't hurt to suggest. I think BMW may monitor these boards for feedback.

8^/

Marc
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2016, 11:02 PM   #283
MackDivaS6
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2005 330i ZHP and 2011 E90 M3

Fantastic review - one of my instant favorites!

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcva View Post

I still want 4 doors:

Marcva
Yes 4 doors please!

OP, thanks for the awesome video review - great work on the shoot and the editing! Also all of the pictures uploaded in this post also brought out the drool on the keyboard.

Well done Sam!
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2016, 05:44 PM   #284
DrKevM5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 X5, F87 M2

Ok, Sam. I originally ordered my M2 (production scheduled for Week 3 in March) with DCT. I'm a track rat, and since I've had two M vehicles with it, i know what an advantage it is on the track. But on the street, it is very boring. I ordered my F10 M5 with the 6MT and love every mile. Except in traffic! So after a particularly torturous stint in Toronto traffic three months ago, I promised myself that my next M car would have the automatic. But after hearing your description of how amazing the manual is, I just called my Sales Advisor and asked him to change my order. Know that every time I get caught in horrible traffic with this beast, your image and comments will materialize in my psyche.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2016, 06:12 PM   #285
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

Don't really know what's so horrible about 6MT in traffic?
Appreciate 6
      02-20-2016, 06:42 PM   #286
DrKevM5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 X5, F87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagon
Don't really know what's so horrible about 6MT in traffic?
Seriously?! The slow creep/constant stop and go in really bad traffic makes your left leg go numb.
Appreciate 2