BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > Reliability

09-04-2019, 04:11 PM   #1
1mm2
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2

Reliability

Before I start please don't flame me as I am unfortunately afflicted with the "paranoia" gene.

A little background first, I'm coming from a 1M and currently drive a 128, bought the wife an M2 (2018 LCI) and love it. As we use these cars as daily drivers I'm contemplating buying either a 2018 LCI or M2C to replace the 128 for myself (no kids, have done the 911s and for my use simply not cost effective).

My research indicates the OG M2 is quite reliable overall.

I would like opinions on the reliability of the S55 with respect to spun crank hub and risks of the oil cooler location.

Both of the above kinda bother me so looking for owner experience with any of these two potential problems.

Thanks in advance and please be gentle.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2019, 04:23 PM   #2
MazdaPower
Rep
Drives: 19M2C, 12Speed3, 03Protege

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1mm2 View Post
with respect to spun crank hub
Statistically unlikely

Quote:
risks of the oil cooler location
Elevated.
Appreciate 1
Thescout134944.00
      09-04-2019, 04:27 PM   #3
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
You would be better asking this question in the M3/M4 forum. They have much more experience with the S55 engine.
Appreciate 1
Poffman493.00
      09-07-2019, 06:23 PM   #4
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 F80 M3CS, %E2%80%9818 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MazdaPower View Post
Quote:
with respect to spun crank hub
Statistically unlikely

Quote:
risks of the oil cooler location
Elevated.
This.
Wife's Prior Car: 2018 F80 M3, Yas Marina Blue, DCT, Black 19s, Carbon Structure Anthracite Cloth/Leather Combination, Driving Assistance Package (Euro Delivery Oct. 9, 2017)
Appreciate 1
Poffman493.00
      09-07-2019, 09:51 PM   #5
heavyD^2
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

It does appear that there's a slight reliability tradeoff to be paid for the extra power of the S55. Does seem that there's been more than a few failures and it's simply more complex overall with the oil cooler location as well as the liquid to air intercooler. Nothing alarming or widespread but the N55 stock is pretty reliable which is why the M2 has a solid reputation for reliability.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2019, 11:11 PM   #6
aerokubectl
Major
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by MazdaPower View Post
Statistically unlikely

Elevated.
This
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2019, 05:56 AM   #7
1mm2
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyD^2 View Post
It does appear that there's a slight reliability tradeoff to be paid for the extra power of the S55. Does seem that there's been more than a few failures and it's simply more complex overall with the oil cooler location as well as the liquid to air intercooler. Nothing alarming or widespread but the N55 stock is pretty reliable which is why the M2 has a solid reputation for reliability.
Quote:
Originally Posted by spetsnazos View Post
This
Thanks to all for your responses.

I will test drive an M2C again (more extensively) and then hop back into my wife's to decide if the extra performance (for my needs) is worth the extra coin and potential reliability risks (even though they sound low).
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2019, 01:07 PM   #8
N8shon
M's are Wonderful
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Sunset Orange M2C 6spd

In the same boat here-trying to make the right decision for my next daily M car.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2019, 01:40 AM   #9
waldrops
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

If you don't plan on voiding your warranty via DP/Tune, I don't see why it matters. Warranty covers it all
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2019, 09:35 AM   #10
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldrops View Post
If you don't plan on voiding your warranty via DP/Tune, I don't see why it matters. Warranty covers it all
Until it doesn't, because you know, it expires...?
Wife's Prior Car: 2018 F80 M3, Yas Marina Blue, DCT, Black 19s, Carbon Structure Anthracite Cloth/Leather Combination, Driving Assistance Package (Euro Delivery Oct. 9, 2017)
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2019, 10:38 AM   #11
M1Curious
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Before I start please don't flame me as I am unfortunately afflicted with the "paranoia" gene.

A little background first, I'm coming from a 1M and currently drive a 128, bought the wife an M2 (2018 LCI) and love it. As we use these cars as daily drivers I'm contemplating buying either a 2018 LCI or M2C to replace the 128 for myself (no kids, have done the 911s and for my use simply not cost effective).

I would like opinions on the reliability of the S55 with respect to spun crank hub and risks of the oil cooler location.

Both of the above kinda bother me so looking for owner experience with any of these two potential problems.

Quote:

oil cooler problem has an aftermarket solution. there is a metal replacement cage instead of the oem plastic. get that to ease your mind, or try not to hit large rocks .

spun crank hub has an aftermarket solution as well. but like others have pointed out, its unlikely to happen on a stock setup, and if it does it will most likely happen during your warranty period and warranty covers it. you are still statistically unlikely to experience this though. of all the problems being reported for the M2C I've experienced none of them @ 8k miles of driving it.

Hope that helps!
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2019, 11:04 AM   #12
1mm2
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thescout13 View Post
I understand warranty covers most but I don't believe it covers oil cooler puncture. That's when insurance battles it out with BMW if engine needs rebuild/replacement.

Then of course there's the "after warranty" issue if you plan on keeping long term.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2019, 11:07 AM   #13
1mm2
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1Curious View Post
oil cooler problem has an aftermarket solution. there is a metal replacement cage instead of the oem plastic. get that to ease your mind, or try not to hit large rocks .

spun crank hub has an aftermarket solution as well. but like others have pointed out, its unlikely to happen on a stock setup, and if it does it will most likely happen during your warranty period and warranty covers it. you are still statistically unlikely to experience this though. of all the problems being reported for the M2C I've experienced none of them @ 8k miles of driving it.

Hope that helps!
Thanks.

The IND after market cage is better than stock but will not stop small rocks at speed puncturing the cooler which is beyond delicate.

I wonder how many have gotten the aftermarket cage...
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2019, 06:35 PM   #14
M1Curious
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

Hope that helps!
Thanks.

The IND after market cage is better than stock but will not stop small rocks at speed puncturing the cooler which is beyond delicate.

Quote:
Quote:

Hope that helps!
Thanks.

good question. I'm more worried about the bigger rocks tbh. Ive driven over some shabby rocky county roads at speed and have never had issues. only person ive seen personally affected by the low oil cooler hit a rock about the size of a softball and it lodged between the road and his oil cooler. for what its worth.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2019, 09:25 PM   #15
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thescout13 View Post
I understand warranty covers most but I don't believe it covers oil cooler puncture. That's when insurance battles it out with BMW if engine needs rebuild/replacement.

Then of course there's the "after warranty" issue if you plan on keeping long term.
Oil cooler puncture is really rare and easy and cheap to prevent.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2019, 12:25 PM   #16
TemjinX2
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi e92

some s55 owners had near scares with hydro lock with leakying intercoolers. the fix is to get a csf intercooler. leaky air to air system...you just loose boost.

n55 is similar to that old GM joke where BMW made the n55 engine for so long that its reliable.

the n55 is bit more reliable with the air to air system versus the air to water system of the s55. air to water systems are more efficient but more things can go wrong and air to air systems recover from heat soak more quickly.

also keep in mind the n55 was mass produced so maintence parts will probably be cheaper and more plentiful

i was in a similar sitiuation as you...i decided to get a lightly used OG M2 with only 5k miles for 43k because i was ok with the lower power and i thought it was a simplier more reliable system at a cheaper price.

i was ok with the power of just FBO....if you want 1000whp i would go with the s55...its a better platform to start off with for that goal.
Appreciate 1
cptobvious2531.50
      09-12-2019, 09:21 PM   #17
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TemjinX2 View Post
some s55 owners had near scares with hydro lock with leakying intercoolers. the fix is to get a csf intercooler. leaky air to air system...you just loose boost.

n55 is similar to that old GM joke where BMW made the n55 engine for so long that its reliable.

the n55 is bit more reliable with the air to air system versus the air to water system of the s55. air to water systems are more efficient but more things can go wrong and air to air systems recover from heat soak more quickly.

also keep in mind the n55 was mass produced so maintence parts will probably be cheaper and more plentiful

i was in a similar sitiuation as you...i decided to get a lightly used OG M2 with only 5k miles for 43k because i was ok with the lower power and i thought it was a simplier more reliable system at a cheaper price.

i was ok with the power of just FBO....if you want 1000whp i would go with the s55...its a better platform to start off with for that goal.
Yes, I think it is safe to say that N55 is much more reliable than S55. There are not that many reports of N55 failures when you think about the fact that it's been in basically every vehicle BMW makes. S55 is only in 3 lower volume models and there seem to be more reports of issues. Obviously, S55 is still a better performer.
Appreciate 1
TemjinX2520.50
      09-13-2019, 11:38 AM   #18
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by TemjinX2 View Post

The weak point of the n55 m2 is really the cooling. That's really the one thing that makes the s55 really stand out as an upgrade to me is you can beat on the s55 and it just stays cool, at least at stock tune. Upgrade that one thing and it might not seen so far away from the m2c in terms of experience.

There are other nice upgrades with the m2c, but I feel the cooling is the big one as I feel the n55 m2 on a spirited drive to just feel the power disappear rather quickly as the car heats up.

As far as reliability I think the s55 is good when it comes to S designated M engines. The n55 in the m2 even better, but obviously it's less advanced in a number of ways.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2019, 11:49 AM   #19
TemjinX2
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi e92

Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
The weak point of the n55 m2 is really the cooling. That's really the one thing that makes the s55 really stand out as an upgrade to me is you can beat on the s55 and it just stays cool, at least at stock tune. Upgrade that one thing and it might not seen so far away from the m2c in terms of experience.

There are other nice upgrades with the m2c, but I feel the cooling is the big one as I feel the n55 m2 on a spirited drive to just feel the power disappear rather quickly as the car heats up.

As far as reliability I think the s55 is good when it comes to S designated M engines. The n55 in the m2 even better, but obviously it's less advanced in a number of ways.
s55 has better cooling since its a air to water system. for general driving...air to water systems are more efficient then air to air. Its when you start doing back to back pulls or really long track seccessions is when you start to see the weaknesses in air to water systems.

you can buy bigger heat exchangers or add more pumps but it starts getting expensive really fast compared to just buying a bigger FMIC in a air to air system. its one of the reasons why most of the 2000whp-3000whp cars you see in half mile racing are air to air systems, also the quicker heat soak recovery.

my canyon runs are at 11k ft elev...i've boiled coolant in air to water systems just from canyon runs due to high heat and low air density.

Last edited by TemjinX2; 09-13-2019 at 11:56 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2019, 02:40 PM   #20
1mm2
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

Really? I've taken my wife's out repeatedly for extensive "spirited" drives and never felt power quickly disappear...
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2019, 03:25 PM   #21
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Really? I've taken my wife's out repeatedly for extensive "spirited" drives and never felt power quickly disappear...
Yea that's my experience.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2019, 04:34 PM   #22
1mm2
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Yea that's my experience.
I'll have to try harder next time...
Appreciate 0