BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > My Car is offensive... apparently

06-10-2019, 11:55 PM   #23
frosty2k
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Competition

I drove a 2018 TTRS on a business trip in LA with the performance exhaust last year. Around town slowing down with the dct in sport it would do these epic 3-2 shifts that sent an exquisite burbling racket out the back end.

I expected in LA that people would be over that sort of thing because there are performance cars all over the place, but everyone in earshot would turn when they heard it. Half frowned, half smiled.
Appreciate 2
      06-11-2019, 04:37 AM   #24
JackyStuntin
JackyStuntin
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2

Turn the car to mdm mode and rev it
Appreciate 1
      06-11-2019, 06:31 AM   #25
mr_lab_rat
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, 2018 X1

I get some dirty looks in the neighborhood. I believe it's because one of the neighbors has a blue M4 with MPE. He drives like an asshat, valves always open.

I drive slow and always in comfort mode with valves closed (but it's still pretty loud with the MPE). I wouldn't be surprised if people can't tell our cars apart.
Appreciate 1
      06-11-2019, 09:26 AM   #26
gmazet
Captain
Rep
Drives: Broken 2020 M2C

I can't find the vid off hand but there was a funny video of a 911 doing launch control noisily in normal use cases like stop sign, drive up, etc. its out there somewhere this thread reminds me of it..

edit it was Grand Tour
Past: 2008 E92tt 6MT, 2001 E46 6MT 2009 Z06 1997 Camaro SS 6MT
Appreciate 3
M2Cnme33.00
EthanEJC199.50
      06-13-2019, 08:55 PM   #27
hyperrift
Private
Rep

I of course own an M2C and love the sounds it makes when I'm able to enjoy it without disturbing others around me.

If you have the car in sport or sport+ in a dense residential area where you have no use for the mode then you are just being an asshole. It's like making waves when passing someone in a boat in a slow area.

No one wants to hear the loud exhaust, cracks and pops as you drive by. You don't have to be going fast or driving dangerously.

It's just immature of you. Put it into comfort mode.
Appreciate 1
kpham189.50
      06-13-2019, 09:41 PM   #28
natmad
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2C 6MT, M3C Build Week 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperrift View Post
I of course own an M2C and love the sounds it makes when I'm able to enjoy it without disturbing others around me.

If you have the car in sport or sport+ in a dense residential area where you have no use for the mode then you are just being an asshole. It's like making waves when passing someone in a boat in a slow area.

No one wants to hear the loud exhaust, cracks and pops as you drive by. You don't have to be going fast or driving dangerously.

Nah, I’d rather be immature... at 56 years old.

However, I always drive slowly in neighborhoods, in sport mode.

Well, I did in the SS sedan 6MT, before I sold it... and I will in the M2C 6MT.

The only time I might rev it in a neighborhood would be if, say, some old bag shook her head and muttered “idiot”.

Edit: Ok, when I have to leave for work early in the morning, I did use the normal mode in the SS, and I will in the M2C, so I guess I’m not a total asshole. Hehe
Appreciate 9
cptobvious2531.50
gmazet308.00
BlkSVT388.50
MDuckie93.00
Tag18135.50
grl.racr382.50
csbear1118.00
Germanauto9701.00
      06-13-2019, 10:24 PM   #29
biggripper
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 M3 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperrift View Post

While do the courtesy of closing my valves and leaving the neighborhood in comfort mode in the mornings, all bets are off during business hours.

Aside from that, I'd have to say I disagree with your perspective. If I'm doing normal residential neighborhood speeds even in Sport+ the car just isn't that obnoxious. It's a M2C not a Gt350 or something with a super loud V8/10/12. Now if it was 5am and I was rolling through the hood at 40mph in 2nd with the valves open that would be inappropriate perhaps but that's not what we are talking about. I was out in town in a commercial area driving down a slip road between parking lots. I wasn't being obnoxious or irresponsible.
FORMER ///F87 M2C | Sunset Orange/Orange | 6MT | Black 788M Wheels
FORMER ///F82 M4 | SSII | Full SO | 6MT | Black 437M Wheels
Appreciate 4
gmazet308.00
MDuckie93.00
natmad667.00
AndrewC198910929.50
      06-14-2019, 05:46 AM   #30
Lucky1
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '08 128i Coupe SGM 6MT

Garage List
Back in the day I had a Civic with a loud exhaust. I was just cruising behind a planet killer SUV in a nice neighbourhood going very slow with my girl in the passenger seat. Guy pulls into his driveway and randomly just flipped me the bird. My girl and I were both stunned; we hadn't done anything at all and I clearly wasn't speeding. Just assuming he found the exhaust offensive. Don't know what to say. :
Appreciate 2
natmad667.00
      06-14-2019, 06:11 AM   #31
gmazet
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggripper View Post
While do the courtesy of closing my valves and leaving the neighborhood in comfort mode in the mornings, all bets are off during business hours.

Aside from that, I'd have to say I disagree with your perspective. If I'm doing normal residential neighborhood speeds even in Sport+ the car just isn't that obnoxious. It's a M2C not a Gt350 or something with a super loud V8/10/12. Now if it was 5am and I was rolling through the hood at 40mph in 2nd with the valves open that would be inappropriate perhaps but that's not what we are talking about. I was out in town in a commercial area driving down a slip road between parking lots. I wasn't being obnoxious or irresponsible.
I agree with this perspective.

also the analogy that this is like making waves is a bit off. throwing waves/wake causes physical damage to personal property. some crackles at low speeds doesn't cause any harm at all.
Appreciate 1
natmad667.00
      06-14-2019, 08:40 AM   #32
3tekcorps
Major
Rep
Drives: In Gestation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky1 View Post
Back in the day I had a Civic with a loud exhaust. I was just cruising behind a planet killer SUV in a nice neighbourhood going very slow with my girl in the passenger seat. Guy pulls into his driveway and randomly just flipped me the bird. My girl and I were both stunned; we hadn't done anything at all and I clearly wasn't speeding. Just assuming he found the exhaust offensive. Don't know what to say. :
A civic with loud exhaust is offensive. What's so confusing about the situation?
Appreciate 1
smknjoe234.00
      06-14-2019, 09:11 AM   #33
Lucky1
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '08 128i Coupe SGM 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3tekcorps View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky1 View Post
A civic with loud exhaust is offensive. What's so confusing about the situation?
I was in his neighbourhood for a total of two minutes and would have been out of there even sooner if he wasn't in front of me. And I'll never be back again. I get it, its loud but do you really think its deserving of such a vile gesture? Really if thats the kind of thing that is enough to make you lose your top on a one off basis your life is really, really great all around because when my neighbours do it to me on the regular its not even close to being on my list of worst things that happened to me that day and I live in a far more dense neighbourhood than this guy does.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2019, 10:06 AM   #34
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmazet View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggripper View Post

I agree with this perspective.

also the analogy that this is like making waves is a bit off. throwing waves/wake causes physical damage to personal property. some crackles at low speeds doesn't cause any harm at all.
Giving someone a nasty look because they're using an obnoxious noise-maker doesn't cause any harm either, it's a normal reaction to being annoyed.

How would you feel if someone drove around with a vuvuzela and produced loud cacophony behind you. Because that's the equivalent to an outsider who doesn't appreciate it.

To most people, a loud exhaust has the emotional/intelligence of male burps and farts noises; it's not cute but other folks deal with because they have no choice.

You guys think it sounds "deep" but all I
see with I observe a grown-ass man driving around with a loud car is "Even though I'm over 30, I haven't emotionally progress beyond the age of 14."

Not defending the old bag but I understand being startled by loud noises. The sound of some new BMWs with loud "pops and burbles" is like nails on a chalkboard to me, however a well-tuned turbo I6 with a muted exhaust can sound pretty sweet. Subtly is the key to making everyone happy.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2019, 10:33 AM   #35
Tag
this is the way
Rep
Drives: N-1 starfighter

Don't worry guys, once we go all electric you'll still get dirty looks for your lack of sound creeping up on people. When AI takes over you'll get dirty looks when Terminators see you and use their laser guns. If you are lucky enough to get uploaded to the singularity you'll get dirty looks for not being dead.
Appreciate 3
cptobvious2531.50
Robin_NL8717.00
csbear1118.00
      06-14-2019, 10:46 AM   #36
gmazet
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tag View Post
Don't worry guys, once we go all electric you'll still get dirty looks for your lack of sound creeping up on people. When AI takes over you'll get dirty looks when Terminators see you and use their laser guns. If you are lucky enough to get uploaded to the singularity you'll get dirty looks for not being dead.
not just dirty looks. called names..

screw the haters and what they think or say. It's when one of those haters decides that they are justified in taking action against your property is where we have problems.

as long as you are not being a total squid and revving the engine to pop it or doing that shit when you wouldn't/shouldn't be mowing your lawn, it's fine.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2019, 04:13 PM   #37
grl.racr
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G87 M2, MK8 R, RS6 Avant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
.... Subtly is the key to making everyone happy.
If you live your life to make everyone happy, you’ve lost
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2019, 04:35 PM   #38
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs.boost View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
.... Subtly is the key to making everyone happy.
If you live your life to make everyone happy, you've lost
I don't try to conform to anyone but I do understand that I'm living in a society and try not annoy my fellow human inhabitants.

If I resided in the secluded woods, far away from civilization, I would be rolling around in a loud ass Shelby, kicking up dust like Will Smith in "I Am Legend."

Here in NYC, the houses are built close to each other and are made of Sheetrock which are paper-thin, so any noises are amplified, thus a loud exhaust would not win me any point with the neighbors.

Appreciate 1
mcvaughan704.00
      06-17-2019, 01:14 AM   #39
Saphirschwarz
Major
Belgium
Rep

I LOVE loud exhausts but I am in comfort mode within 500 m of my area, its just a matter of respect.
People living and relaxing, babies sleeping, etc
Appreciate 2
c1pher4671.50
smknjoe234.00
      06-17-2019, 06:52 AM   #40
Trapperj
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2C

Had a old lady scream at me once when driving my Gt4. I was concerned and curious what I’d done to anger her. Turns out she just wanted to use my wing to iron her blouse.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2019, 09:41 PM   #41
Pyrat 2
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Rapidly from A to B

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by paradocs98 View Post
I've also gotten dirty looks when driving through my neighborhood in my GT4. Stock exhaust, but clearly louder than the average Camry. I also drive very slowly and carefully through our residential neighborhood and in town. This is in contrast to others in my neighborhood who routinely drive 60mph on our narrow streets to make their morning train to the city, or who blast around stopped school buses with their flashing stop signs deployed. So here I am, being very cautious and responsible, and I occasionally get looks because the car is a bit louder than expected. If anything, I'm safer by being louder. It's the Mario Andrettis in the dead-silent Teslas who are the real threat.
Haha. I have a plain Jane stock N55 M2 and my plain Jane stock GT4 is waaay louder. Lucky that nobody in my hood has given me the disapproving look with either car. I do try to keep the GT4 settled down though. Can't help cold startup though - an engineering marvel to my ears at least.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2019, 06:24 AM   #42
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep
Drives: All of them

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saphirschwarz View Post
I LOVE loud exhausts but I am in comfort mode within 500 m of my area, its just a matter of respect.
People living and relaxing, babies sleeping, etc
I love exhaust sounds too, but I think many of us forget that the exhaust is much louder outside the car than inside.....that’s why BMW pumps fake noises into your cabin. I live in an urban area and I certainly expect it to be louder but I am positive many of the jerks with aftermarket exhausts way exceed state laws on noise. To add insult to injury I can hear all the revving and intentional downshifts to get the pops and burbles and squealing tires......every. single. day. I am certain some of the posters in this thread are significantly downplaying their behavior.
Appreciate 2
cptobvious2531.50
devo755.00
      09-14-2019, 12:27 PM   #43
jkoral
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 LBB 6MT

This thread reminds me of

Appreciate 0
      09-14-2019, 12:53 PM   #44
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

Society today cares WAY too much about if a person is offended. God forbid a person is offended we must coddle and accommodate them. I am tired of it and starting to push back. Apparently I have been raised to be too polite and ignore these cry babies. That strategy only lets these crybabies get away with more and more.
Appreciate 5
Germanauto9701.00
EthanEJC199.50
smknjoe234.00
Altra265.50
mcvaughan704.00