BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > Is anyone underwelmed with their M2C?

08-06-2019, 02:21 PM   #67
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, LBB, 6MT

(I haven't even driven it in MDM yet. haha)

Man, you should try MDM. My car is always in MDM unless it is raining or really cold. There is still a level of protection. It will teach you how to control the car when the back wheels slip a bit.
Appreciate 3
nomoracin758.00
KevinM2935.50
      08-06-2019, 02:38 PM   #68
BlkSVT
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2c BSM, 2020 MB GLC63

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomoracin View Post
.....When will it be enough?
Never. Not. Ever.

You're doomed! You've started down the slippery slope like the rest of us, and need more power, more handling, more everything to get to the bottom more quickly!

Seriously, I do think going after learning to really drive and the track angle is a great plan. Something I've been meaning to do too since the faster/better approach just gets more and more pricey, and you eventually get used to anything no matter how stupid-fast.

Back in my young-ish days, I dabbled in sport bikes with a few buddies. 0-60 in the 2s, 0-100 in the 4s, quarter mile in the 9-10s. Just ridiculous, and everyone started looking into turbo kits and all kinds of stuff to make them faster. In hindsight: WTF? we only ever rode on the street. You get used to anything...maybe it's time I learn to drive

Last edited by BlkSVT; 08-07-2019 at 06:46 AM..
Appreciate 5
nomoracin758.00
Mavallone164.50
Moflow2484.50
      08-06-2019, 09:16 PM   #69
KevinM
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2002 M5;2007 M Coupe;2020 M2C

Garage List
2020 M2 Competition  [10.00]
2007 E86 M coupe  [8.38]
2002 E39 M5  [9.00]
If you take the car for what it is, and enjoy BMWs in general, I'd say keep the car longer. As others have said, 200 miles is really not enough time to experience all the car has to offer. Is this your first BMW? For me, it's the first modern BMW I've really enjoyed since I bought my 2007 Z4M coupe. I never really connected with my F80 M3.

As a reasonably priced sports sedan/DD that is nimble, fun to drive and returns to core M values, I'm not sure what else is out there. Now, if you really wanted a sports car/track tool, I can see how this car would pale compared to a GT4. But I'd pick it over a GT4 any day of the week for what I use it for (DD).
2021 Kia Telluride (hauler)
Appreciate 2
dmboone254972.00
      08-06-2019, 10:29 PM   #70
Davil
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 CS, 18 Vantage AMR, 00 WRX

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bri1042 View Post
broken in, with months under my belt getting to know the thing, enough time that manual shifting with paddles is finally instinct instead of something I have to think about have erased most of my underwhelmed feelings about it.
The paddles are so ingrained into my brain that I got into my other car (manual) after 6 weeks not driving it and I was constantly trying to flip the paddles that weren’t there. Very weird. When I first got the DCT I kept pressing an imaginary clutch. You really do need to train your hind brain before you can enjoy it fully.

Another trick for those craving more power or feeling something is lacking is to drive another car for a bit. If you play at 11 all the time, you’ll starting wanting 12. And so on.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2019, 04:20 AM   #71
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

Quote:

So, before I start modding it, I think I'm going to take some driving course lessons and figure out how to drive it the way it's supposed to be driven. (I haven't even driven it in MDM yet. haha)

This is the way to go!

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 1
nomoracin758.00
      08-07-2019, 02:40 PM   #72
devo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bimmers & Porsches

As expected, especially given the price point. Agreed, the E46 M3 was more raw. I owned two and loved them; each was manual.

All said, considering my M2C was only (roughly) 10-11% more than my 15-16 year old MY2002 and 2003 is quite a feat, imo.

Last edited by devo; 08-07-2019 at 03:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2019, 02:48 PM   #73
Economatic
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpsRider View Post
Firstly, buyers remorse is a thing. You have anticipated your new car expecting it to transform the world :-) Wait until the car is broken in then you can toss it around in the twisties and feel the engine growl at 7300 rpm. Then come back and tell us what you think.
This is probably part of it. My wife thinks it's because we waited so long and dealt with so many frustrations that there isn't any way it could meet my expectations.

Quote:
I think the others are right about at least waiting for the break-in service to make a better decision.

Given that, I'm still very back and forth with my thoughts of the car. This is definitely the fastest (and most expensive) car that I have ever owned, but it's crazy how quickly one can get accustomed to the speed. I transitioned from stock to BM3's CS to Stage 1 so quickly. Each time I thought that this would be enough power for me, but here I am considering Stage 2 already. When will it be enough?

As I'm writing this, I think I'm going about it all wrong though. This car isn't meant to be driven in a straight line...it's meant for the back roads and/or the track.

So, before I start modding it, I think I'm going to take some driving course lessons and figure out how to drive it the way it's supposed to be driven. (I haven't even driven it in MDM yet. haha)
Thanks for the update and that's interesting you're still on the fence, even after a tune. I've done the modding thing with other cars and didn't plan to with the M2C so I really should be happy with the car, as is. That concerns me...but I also don't have a clue what the car can do since it's only in the beginning miles of the break-in period.

Like others said, I highly recommend doing some track days with instructors. I went all in the last year and did 3 track days with classroom time and multiple instructors and one full day with a private instructor. Game changing. I learned quickly I definitely don't need more power from my car, just more driver mods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinM View Post
If you take the car for what it is, and enjoy BMWs in general, I'd say keep the car longer. As others have said, 200 miles is really not enough time to experience all the car has to offer. Is this your first BMW? For me, it's the first modern BMW I've really enjoyed since I bought my 2007 Z4M coupe. I never really connected with my F80 M3.

As a reasonably priced sports sedan/DD that is nimble, fun to drive and returns to core M values, I'm not sure what else is out there. Now, if you really wanted a sports car/track tool, I can see how this car would pale compared to a GT4. But I'd pick it over a GT4 any day of the week for what I use it for (DD).
Bingo! Now that I think about it, this largely sums it up for me. This is my first BMW and it is not my DD, so I could have gone with something more in the sports car category. However, getting into a Porsche would be a stretch for my car budget unless buy used.

I'll be kicking around this decision for a couple more days and then will force myself to be happy with what I decide. At least for a couple years.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2019, 03:37 PM   #74
JMurphM2Comp
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 SOM M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig335d View Post
I haven’t got mine yet, but my excitement / interest is waning and I find myself looking at numerous alternatives.
Can’t quite put my finger on why.....
WOW! That's...depressing! I got more and more excited as my delivery date became closer. I spent the 4-month wait, from allocation to delivery, watching videos, reviewing articles and building excitement reading this forum. I knew deep down there was no other vehicle that even remotely caught my eye. I guess it's the rareness of the car that made it so special for me.

I hope you feel different when the vehicle arrives but something tells me you'll be trading it in early into your ownership.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2019, 08:34 PM   #75
Karmic Man
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C

This is the he first time I haven’t thought about modding for more power. May be I have grown up or may be because the performance envelope of the M2C is very high at every level. More power would certainly be nice but not at the expense of voiding the warranty.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2019, 10:00 PM   #76
Vintage
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW G80 (MT), 718 Spyder

I love my M2C - its a little hooligan. Now, I have owned a GT4 and tracked it, as well as many other awesome sports cars. My current P car is a GT3T; despite that, the M2C makes me smile a ton, especially with how I have programmed the M1 and M2 buttons. It is a very entertaining vehicle but still comfy enough for DD. The best of both worlds.

Enjoy the hell out of it.
Appreciate 4
cptobvious2531.50
ChrisK4449.00
MDuckie93.00
      08-08-2019, 03:36 PM   #77
Economatic
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Comp

Thanks for talking me down from the ledge--let's call it temporary insanity. Not sure what my problem was. I spent some time driving it last night and today, and gave it a handwash. My excitement has fully returned. Even better, while working from a coffee shop this morning the car was constantly getting double-takes and a couple guys stopped to take pictures. Besides, my wife decided it is 'sexy' and she reserves the term for very few cars. Usually only badass overlanding vehicles get that status with her so apparently she's a fan.

BUT...I do wonder if the car is cursed. The 180 mile drive home on Sunday involved a horrible thunderstorm with hail. Luckily no damage and we rarely get storms like that in Oregon. And driving it in town with 209 miles on the odo a lady damn near plowed into me in a roundabout. It was 100% her mistake but I somehow got far enough out of her way to avoid contact. I swerved, slammed on the brakes, and ended up halfway in the circle when the car came to a stop. When her car stopped my passenger mirror was almost touching her fender. Fucking tourists not paying attention...
Appreciate 2
Vintage377.50
RyeM23.00
      08-08-2019, 03:44 PM   #78
goku7
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M2C ED 08/2019

when I drove the m2 manual it felt fast but not pin ur head to the back of the seat fast, it was fun fast. when I test drove the m2c it felt underwhelming as it was dealer test drive and I kept it to below 3k. But when I drove mine finally holy hell does it bolt after the turbos kick in. cannot wait for break in to complete and my first track day
Appreciate 1
M2Cnme33.00
      08-11-2019, 03:38 PM   #79
frosty2k
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Economatic View Post
I began my search over a year ago, got an allocation in January, did ED in May (didn't get to drive it due to the airbag stop delivery), and then it finally arrived at the dealer 2 weeks ago.
I think this is the genesis of your issue. You didn't get to do what you wanted with it and it's a bit of a letdown. I'm currently sitting at a bar in a small skiing town near the Stelvio Pass, and I can't imagine doing this with any other car. The roads make the difference. Lots of them out here can't handle huge power anyway, unless you want to crash into an Italian driving a Fiat coming the other way around a blind corner. (Lanes are just a suggestion to these folks) Granted, I may be in your boat when I get home and the entire world is just a grid of straight lines.

For looks, 60% of people have no idea what it is, 30% look because they know it something fast, and 10% know exactly what it is and freak out, point or turn around completely when you go by.

There is still fun to be had before break in is done too. Do a pull in 3rd from around 1,500 to 5,000 and listen to, and feel, those turbos spool up.
Appreciate 2
gmazet308.00
      08-16-2019, 07:17 AM   #80
gmazet
Captain
Rep
Drives: Broken 2020 M2C

I am only about 300 miles in, so not even close to broken in, but when I give it half throttle and shift at 5K it feels very strong, and doing it on a nice curvy county road with the windows open(sounds great) it feels great and brings big smiles.

Definitely not underwhelmed!
Past: 2008 E92tt 6MT, 2001 E46 6MT 2009 Z06 1997 Camaro SS 6MT
Appreciate 1
cb8042351.00
      08-16-2019, 08:31 AM   #81
808elise
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: CB E46 and SG E92 M3s

Garage List
Would really like to see how many people here truly push the limits of this car. More power is always cool, in a straight line. Not what this car was built for. Stg 2 still still gets that done too.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2019, 10:43 AM   #82
goku7
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M2C ED 08/2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Valid point.

I recall from my high school days an easy experiment in the physics class:
  • the physics teacher had put three bowls filled with water on a table, without disclosing the difference in water temperature: bowl A = cold temp water | bowl B = normal/mild temp water | bowl C = warm temp water;
  • two pupils were called forward: pupil 1 was asked to hold his hands for a minute or two in bowl A while pupil 2 was asked to do the same for the same time with bowl C;
  • subsequently the physics teacher asked both students to move their hands together inside bowl B and tell the class what they experienced;
  • pupil 1 (acclimatized to cold temp water) said that it felt 'warm', while pupil 2 (acclimatized to warm temp water) said that it felt 'cold';
  • conclusion: relativity, personal experience & subjective perception matter.
Underwhelmed, whelmed, overwhelmed: if you're used to frequently drive low-performance cars and get behind the wheel of an M2C, the experience will inevitably be different than if you're used to frequently drive high-performance cars. And driving cars back-to-back under the same circumstances, gets you a better idea.
I drove a 488 GTB, a Hurracan and then back home and drove a OG M2. I like the M2 better because its easier to drive and basically more fun.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2019, 12:50 PM   #83
mr_lab_rat
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, 2018 X1

You guys need to stop posting this nonsense until your break-in period is over and you can really step on it.
Appreciate 4
goku7173.00
AndrewC198910910.50
      08-16-2019, 01:38 PM   #84
Bumpinjeep
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2

Garage List
2023 M2  [8.00]
Am i underwhelmed? Not at all. The car is a little monster. Looks great, handles like it's on rails, straight line power is excellent (430 rwhp?!? https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1638635), and is balanced enough to remind me of my old job where i would drive 993s all day long.
Vintage377.50
      08-16-2019, 06:03 PM   #85
Moflow
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlkSVT View Post
Never. Not. Ever.

You're doomed! You've started down the slippery slope like the rest of us, and need more power, more handling, more everything to get to the bottom more quickly!

Seriously, I do think going after learning to really drive and the track angle is a great plan. Something I've been meaning to do too since the faster/better approach just gets more and more pricey, and you eventually get used to anything no matter how stupid-fast.

Back in my young-ish days, I dabbled in sport bikes with a few buddies. 0-60 in the 2s, 0-100 in the 4s, quarter mile in the 9-10s. Just ridiculous, and everyone started looking into turbo kits and all kinds of stuff to make them faster. In hindsight: WTF? we only ever rode on the street. You get used to anything...maybe it's time I learn to drive
This. As awesome as it is to drive a fast car, it's more fun imho to drive any car, slow or fast in a controlled environment.

My race car has a quarter the hp of an m2c and only weighs like 400 lbs less. It's a dog in a straight line. Yet I will never get the kind of grins from the m2c that I will from the race car because tossing it around the track, setting up a great pass and generally not giving a fuck if I write off my cheap-o race car is always going to be more fun.

Which is not to say driving a fast car on the street isn't also so rad I'd pay to own something like an M2c (because I am) but we shouldn't put the cart in front of the horse. I highly suggest spending some money to learn on a track or ideally rent a drive in a race car.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2019, 12:49 AM   #86
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moflow View Post
My race car has a quarter the hp of an m2c and only weighs like 400 lbs less. It's a dog in a straight line. Yet I will never get the kind of grins from the m2c that I will from the race car because tossing it around the track, setting up a great pass and generally not giving a fuck if I write off my cheap-o race car is always going to be more fun.

What racecar do you have? 100hp(25% of 400) and 1400kg(?) doesn't sound anything like a racecar.

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2019, 03:11 AM   #87
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moflow View Post
Yet I will never get the kind of grins from the m2c that I will from the race car because tossing it around the track, setting up a great pass and generally not giving a fuck if I write off my cheap-o race car is always going to be more fun.
I guess this is one of the reasons I always see so many bloody morons and idiots on trackdays/driftdays and Nordschleife....no offence this is not directly pointed at you but it makes me think again...

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2019, 10:41 PM   #88
csbear
Major
Rep
Drives: SO M2C

Coming from a 981 GT4, I obviously had reasons to be a little worried.

After driving the M2C for approximately 700 miles, those worries have been alleviated. I love this car. And I haven't even hit the magical 1200 mile mark yet, so I can really let it rip.

Of course, both the GT4 and M2C do things differently. The GT4 being more raw and visceral obviously. The steering and noise of the Porsche is hard to beat. The steering in the GT4 is heavy in a good, organic way. The connection to the road is evident. While the M2C's is somewhat artificial in feel by comparison. But everyone already knows that.

As a road car, the M2C delivers the sensation of speed a lot differently than the GT4. I actually like it better as the gearing and NA engine in the GT4 is somewhat disadvantaged on public streets. It truly is a track car and needs the high revs to get going. Something I regret not doing (tracking it) because I had to sell it at the time.

However, as a total package, and a daily driver type of sports car, the M2C puts a smile on my face every day (and others as well!). I can throw a bunch of shit in the back seat...I miss that!

Both cars are great examples of what Porsche and BMW are capable of when they aren't worried about how many Macans and X1,2,3,4,5,6,7 they are selling.

I won't be in the market anytime soon for the eventual M2 CS, CSL, Clubsport or whatever they call it, but I can't wait for new owners to get them. But as I am enjoying the M2C right now, and if BMW doesn't pull an M4CS debacle in terms of pricing, I will be very curious of these upcoming iterations of the M2.

And speaking of pricing, I hope the new C8 really does shake things up in the sport car industry. Yes, Chevy tends to over-produce their Corvettes (my biggest gripe with them), but whether you hate or love Corvettes, the introduction of the new one is good for the entire sports car world. BMW had their heads in the sand with their pricing of the M4 GTS and CS. Sport car enthusiasts don't always cross-shop Corvettes and M4s, but hopefully the C8 gives BMW pause to think it out this time (I have a feeling they won't )

Last edited by csbear; 08-18-2019 at 10:57 PM..
Appreciate 6
Poochie9103.00
Robin_NL8714.50
cptobvious2531.50
BlkSVT388.50
Artemis29276.50