BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > Is anyone underwelmed with their M2C?

12-01-2018, 06:19 AM   #23
fusionchicken
Captain
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, Z4M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris719 View Post
I was a little underwhelmed with the OG M2, M3, and M4 that I drove. They are good cars but they all lacked something special I felt in my Z4M. Maybe I need to find a true sports car. I'm still here - so I am still very interested, though.
I drive a Z4M roadster as well, and IMHO that "era" of cars just feel much more raw / direct / analog, I don't think modern cars can really replicate that feeling with all the technological advances in performance / safety and a general increase in weight and vehicle dimension. It's also why I'm having trouble moving on from my C6Z to a C7 variant

Even driving a 997 Porsche vs a 991, I much preferred the steering feel and how much smaller the car felt in the 997, even though I know the 991 is a more capable car.

These older / more analog cars generally feel more fun to drive slower; the newer cars tend to have a higher performance envelope and as such require exploiting the performance more to experience a similar level of fun, which one can't always safely do on public roads.

That said the welcoming thing for the N55 / S55 cars is definitely the mid-range torque, that makes driving them daily quite fun IMO Boost is truly addicting and I miss having a turbo performance car in the garage.

I too lurk these forums because I was super close to pulling the trigger on an F80 M3 for a daily so many freaking times, but now that the M2C is out with the same engine and with shorter wheelbase I'm back in the market as well.

Perhaps for you keeping the Z4M and adding a daily like an M2 or even the B58 powered M240i (it still feels very quick and darty around town) would be a good compromise?
Appreciate 10
///M Houbi1653.00
CSBM52715.00
cptobvious2531.50
Tornado1M1209.00
chris7197324.00
Robin_NL8710.00
Karmic Man1996.00
devo755.00
dmboone254972.00
clee1982797.50
      12-01-2018, 06:33 AM   #24
JWMII
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C, GLE53, GLA 250

Nope

"Underwhelmed?" Not even close. Even driving at a pedestrian pace through the break-in period, I'm impressed with how well the car drives. The ride is firm for sure, but not what I would call jarring, not even over imperfections in the road. I'm pissed that my iPhone8 plus doesn't fit in the charger. My only disappoint so far.
Appreciate 1
cptobvious2531.50
      12-01-2018, 06:44 AM   #25
Davil
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 CS, 18 Vantage AMR, 00 WRX

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusionchicken View Post

These older / more analog cars generally feel more fun to drive slower; the newer cars tend to have a higher performance envelope and as such require exploiting the performance more to experience a similar level of fun, which one can't always safely do on public roads.
You just described what I most disliked about my e36 M3. It was boring as batshit to drive at sensible speeds. M2C is a joy at all speeds. That’s the beauty of low down torque. It’s a fantastic car.
Appreciate 4
cptobvious2531.50
jmkr29.50
Karmic Man1996.00
      12-01-2018, 08:26 AM   #26
Hooptie157
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C

Man 1/2 the posts are about the need for more power. My thought is that we shouldn’t need to tune these cars right from the gate. That fact that so many want to tune concerns me. I’m not trying to lose my warranty though. I guess I’ll take delivery and if I hate it sell it straight away. I shouldn’t lose to much money.

I’d love to tune for $550 but again I’m not trying to lose a warranty. Maybe I’ll just drop it at Dinan for a month and let them wake it up while retaining so semblance of dealer support.

Note: I’m coming from an e90 m3 and e46 m3 track car.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2018, 08:49 AM   #27
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig335d View Post
I haven't got mine yet, but my excitement / interest is waning and I find myself looking at numerous alternatives.
Can't quite put my finger on why.....
lol I think it's bad when I'm considering other cars a year into ownership and you don't even have the car yet? Dude you're effed.

For those that want more power, why? The M2C is very fast. More speed is just making up for the fact that modern M cars are too refined, lacking soul and character. The M2C probably has the most though.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2018, 09:00 AM   #28
Hooptie157
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transfer View Post
lol I think it's bad when I'm considering other cars a year into ownership and you don't even have the car yet? Dude you're effed.

For those that want more power, why? The M2C is very fast. More speed is just making up for the fact that modern M cars are too refined, lacking soul and character. The M2C probably has the most though.
I was and am in Craig’s situation but I’m going to give the car a shot. The wait for one is still long enough to possibly sell without a lose at all. I think I’d “what if” myself if I didn’t at least try.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2018, 10:21 AM   #29
devo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bimmers & Porsches

My M2C meets expectations and probably exceeds them a little. It feels as raw as my LCI M2 without a harsh ride. Harsh rides alone should not be confused with 'raw' imo.

I look forward to any drive in the Competition, more so than my M2.

My acceptance of the level of sports car feel may slightly slanted as am fortunate to have anther fairly raw car to drive.
cptobvious2531.50
chris7197324.00
Robin_NL8710.00
      12-01-2018, 10:22 AM   #30
Fear-Mongrel
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 LCI 6MT LBB

Dude, don't psyche yourself out. You are going to LOVE it. These aren't just good cars, they are insanely good cars. And ignore most/all of the "more power!" noise...I can quickly and easily kill myself and others with the 365hp in my M2, and you're going to have even more than that. There's a lot of verbal bat guano posted on this forum - be careful you don't step in any.
Appreciate 5
cptobvious2531.50
D22M21372.50
Artemis29257.00
dmboone254972.00
smknjoe234.00
      12-01-2018, 12:19 PM   #31
CSBM5
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Comp, 2011 M3, etc

With a good launch on a prepped surface and decent tires, the M2C (stock) is likely a high 11-second bracket 1/4 mile car. It just amazes this old drag racing fanatic, emphasis on old, that anyone could conceive of a 12-flat/high 11s in the 1/4 as underwhelming. It's a beast and one that will, without a doubt, get many less experienced drivers in over their heads easily.
2007 E91 328i Silver, slushbox, Eibach fr/E93 M3 rear sway bars, ARC-8
Appreciate 3
COChris888.50
Davil6464.50
clee1982797.50
      12-01-2018, 01:23 PM   #32
aerokubectl
Major
Rep
Drives: M2C

idk what cars you guys were coming from but 400 whp is a metric ton of power to work with. Forget the fact that this isn't a dodge demon, it can actually turn
Appreciate 4
3tekcorps826.00
mikeahso411.50
Artemis29257.00
dmboone254972.00
      12-01-2018, 01:42 PM   #33
MartyE12345
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp AW, S2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooptie157 View Post
So I actually pulled the trigger on the M2C but haven't taken delivery. I will on the 19th. Question - is anyone underwhelmed with the performance of their car? I watch reviews and no one is really GUSHING over it like the OG M2. I hear people talking about how tunes will wake it up and what not but without a tune what are your thoughts?
To answer your question simply, is anyone underwhelmed with the performance of their car? No, I’m not. It’s great.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2018, 05:43 PM   #34
bobert
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: manual shift cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietmind View Post
It’s a great all around package.
The only other car I want is a GT3 Touring, but I’m not willing to burn money
I'm willing to burn money for a GT3 Touring - I just need to find more of it to fuel that fire!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWMII View Post
"Underwhelmed?" Not even close. Even driving at a pedestrian pace through the break-in period, I'm impressed with how well the car drives.
Yea, Road & Track certainly didn't seem underwhelmed by it in the latest issue (comparing it to a Camaro) that caught my attention on a magazine rack earlier this week. Basically said it's a little German muscle car, which is exactly how my wife described my '18 M2 when it arrived here at home a year and a day ago.

Quote:
Man 1/2 the posts are about the need for more power. My thought is that we shouldn’t need to tune these cars right from the gate. That fact that so many want to tune concerns me.
It doesn't NEED more power - no one NEEDS to tune these cars - but many enjoy the process (and feel) of adding power, esp if they track it often. I don't consider that an indictment of its stock power level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transfer View Post
I think it's bad when I'm considering other cars a year into ownership...

I started considering other cars mere months after getting my M2, but I'm sure you meant as a replacement, whereas I'm always wanting MORE cars (thinking about next purchase even if a few years away), not usually replacing one. Need more room tho.

Totally agree it's very possible to refine all the fun out of a car - it's happened before. The character and feel of a sporty car is more important to me than outright power.
      12-01-2018, 05:49 PM   #35
gnx
Όλα ρόδες
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
Quote:
I was a little underwhelmed with the OG M2, M3, and M4 that I drove. They are good cars but they all lacked something special I felt in my Z4M. Maybe I need to find a true sports car. I'm still here - so I am still very interested, though.
Quote:
Today I drove the e86M and the M2C back to back. Sure, the coupe is more physical but the manual M2C is a joy much easier than the e86, no driveline shunt, just great. The coupe is also really cramped inside, that adds to the cars character since most modern cars aren't. But that doesn't necessarily mean it is a purer driving experience. I will have a better picture after break in.
Appreciate 1
chris7197324.00
      12-01-2018, 06:00 PM   #36
einauslander
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2 AW 6MT Exec

I love the M2C. It is like a modern day E30 M3.

The car looks subtle to the lay person. Has awesome power, almost perfect steering and nimbleness in a small footprint. Rear-drive with manual trans completes my requirements. I don't see an alternate in the market that has four seats that will lure me away.

I still love my E30 M3 on the track but for driving on the street and occasional track events, the M2C is a great option. Kudos to BMW for making this car.

The only thing I hate is the weight - how can the smaller M2 weight more than the M4! If this car was 400 lbs lighter, I will be in driving heaven.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2018, 06:07 PM   #37
///M Houbi
Major
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by einauslander View Post

The car looks subtle to the lay person. Has awesome power, almost perfect steering and nimbleness in a small footprint. Rear-drive with manual trans completes my requirements. I don't see an alternate in the market that has four seats that will lure me away.

I still love my E30 M3 on the track but for driving on the street and occasional track events, the M2C is a great option. Kudos to BMW for making this car.

The only thing I hate is the weight - how can the smaller M2 weight more than the M4! If this car was 400 lbs lighter, I will be in driving heaven.
It‘s lighter than the M4. BMW forgot to update the M4 specs for quite a while...
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2018, 06:16 PM   #38
einauslander
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2 AW 6MT Exec

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Houbi View Post
It‘s lighter than the M4. BMW forgot to update the M4 specs for quite a while...
You are right, the M4 is 25 lbs more.

M2 Official Spec: https://www.bmwusa.com/vehicles/m-mo...fications.html

M4 Official Spec: https://www.bmwusa.com/vehicles/m-mo...fications.html

I still think the M2 needs to shed a couple of hundred pounds. I would have paid extra to have the option to give up motorized seats and factory CF roof etc.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2018, 06:18 PM   #39
///M Houbi
Major
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

Garage List
I think this is the outdated information of the M4. The difference should be around 85lbs if I remember correctly.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2018, 08:54 PM   #40
articulatedsphinx
meow
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

I've had mine about 2 months now and am very tempted to bootmod3 it but the warranty is the only thing stopping me. You get used to the power quite quickly.
Appreciate 1
nomoracin758.00
      12-01-2018, 09:23 PM   #41
Proctor750
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E30 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by einauslander View Post

Let's not confuse the M2 with God's chariot. The E30 feels better (subjective) at everything but straight line speed. Everything is instant.

I do not like the arm rest in my M2C. It's makes me contort my arm in a weird way to shift - feels unnatural. Also - on long trips I'll leverage my elbow on it to adjust my seating position only for it to slide (i keep forgetting it does that) and scare the shit out of me on the highway.

That and the "sluggish" feel of whole process of driving it in anger. The clutching/shifting then tiny bit of turbo lag combined with throttle response makes for a sort of slushy feel. I think removing the clutch delay valve from the slave cylinder and the CS+ tune may help with this. I have seen Throttle response tuning options as well. Heel and toe is almost impossible at least on the street (not threshold breaking obviously). The pedals seem too far apart (forward to aft) for that and the initial bite of the brake is way ahead of where you would expect to blip the throttle to match. Perhaps I need more time to get used to the pedals vs the E30.

I think out of the box it's a bit of a softy for the masses but I think with a little tinkering it should sweeten it up just right. Still waiting for the first track day to get a solid feel. Just my opinion anyway.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2018, 10:09 PM   #42
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proctor750 View Post
Let's not confuse the M2 with God's chariot. The E30 feels better (subjective) at everything but straight line speed. Everything is instant.

I do not like the arm rest in my M2C. It's makes me contort my arm in a weird way to shift - feels unnatural. Also - on long trips I'll leverage my elbow on it to adjust my seating position only for it to slide (i keep forgetting it does that) and scare the shit out of me on the highway.

That and the "sluggish" feel of whole process of driving it in anger. The clutching/shifting then tiny bit of turbo lag combined with throttle response makes for a sort of slushy feel. I think removing the clutch delay valve from the slave cylinder and the CS+ tune may help with this. I have seen Throttle response tuning options as well. Heel and toe is almost impossible at least on the street (not threshold breaking obviously). The pedals seem too far apart (forward to aft) for that and the initial bite of the brake is way ahead of where you would expect to blip the throttle to match. Perhaps I need more time to get used to the pedals vs the E30.

I think out of the box it's a bit of a softy for the masses but I think with a little tinkering it should sweeten it up just right. Still waiting for the first track day to get a solid feel. Just my opinion anyway.
I'm curious to know what the slave cylinder de-restriction will do. I did CDV remove on my Z4M and it didn't actually have the effect I expected. It really made modulating the clutch from a stop and in reverse much nicer, but didn't affect anything when driving in anger.
Appreciate 1
clee1982797.50
      12-02-2018, 02:50 AM   #43
Spare°
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin_NL View Post
Mine needs a tad of extra power:BM3 this spring?
And another exhaust definitely. But steering, chassis, LSD plus revving to 7600 and that enourmous torque. FWP

A really enjoyable car, but not as a daily commuter (imho), because then a 225 /228 will do better. I don't commute with my M2C.

Cheers
Robin
Planning to do just that + a wrap... underwhelmed by HS, definitely not the car as a package.

Disagree on the daily. I do commute with mine (+/-70kms/45miles one way at the moment), wouldn't give it up for the world. It's DCT however.

Last edited by Spare°; 12-02-2018 at 02:55 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2018, 02:52 AM   #44
Spare°
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Man 1/2 the posts are about the need for more power. My thought is that we shouldn’t need to tune these cars right from the gate. That fact that so many want to tune concerns me. I’m not trying to lose my warranty though. I guess I’ll take delivery and if I hate it sell it straight away. I shouldn’t lose to much money.

I’d love to tune for $550 but again I’m not trying to lose a warranty. Maybe I’ll just drop it at Dinan for a month and let them wake it up while retaining so semblance of dealer support.

Note: I’m coming from an e90 m3 and e46 m3 track car.
I don't think it needs more power. It's just so tempting to have the possibility to create a CS-like M2, just lurking around.
Appreciate 1
Robin_NL8710.00