BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > BMW Makes a Return to Car & Driver's 10 Best List w/ the M2 Competition

12-07-2018, 05:47 PM   #23
Project_F87
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C LBB 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRZ06 View Post
You could be feeling new tires VS not new tires differences.

New tires grip better. A test drive is no where near enough for a comparison.

You need day in , day out on a variety of roads.

Tests drives always skew the brain because it's new and all the components, including tires are all brand new.
I had literally installed my Sport Cup 2s the week prior to the test drive. My main comparison I was stating in my original statement was of the difference in the stiffness and response of the chassis and suspension of the M2C vs my 2017 M2. It is definitely improved
Appreciate 1
      12-07-2018, 06:39 PM   #24
BM dnobagaV
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 528i

60k base price, lol now that's a good joke
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2018, 07:04 PM   #25
ryem3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 MB M2 CS

FWIW, BMW NA told me over the phone that the Competition suspension was "tuned" and that it was "relaxed" from the prior version. I was surprised because I felt that the spring rates were increased, because the chassis movement is more contained, as others agree.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2018, 07:32 PM   #26
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

The new 3er better make it back onto this list.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2018, 08:24 PM   #27
ilikebmxbikes
Banned
Rep
Drives: S65 1M Clone & E92 M3 4.6L

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris719 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin_NL View Post
Exactly, imo it's not only the carbon brace under the bonnet, the M2C really feels more planted, less bumpy(esp.rear end) , even more balanced than OG M2's ride...

Dunno what they did to the chassis...

And with 4 persons in it OG M2 still felt rather bumpy, so what about the gained weight making the ride better? No idea...

Cheers
Robin
It may be true they secretly modified the parts without changing the part numbers, but that seems like something a German quality manager would quit over.

The software changes could have something to do with it, but it seems hard to imagine given that the car has passive dampers.

I would say that C&D are not my first choice for absolute technical accuracy. They probably get their info from a BMWNA pdf, and BMWNA has demonstrated they are clueless on technical details many times.
They would never change a part and keep the part number unless the part was a non mechanical replacement part - like a fender liner. Anything as important as a spring or shock would not change without changing a part number because people would unknowingly mismatch the parts during repairs etc.
Appreciate 2
chris7197331.50
6ixSpd6011.50
      12-07-2018, 09:30 PM   #28
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryem3 View Post
First review to cite revised dampers and spring rates, which I definitely believe to be the case. I agree, ride is considerably improved.
FWIW, here's what former BMW M boss Frank van Meel said about the M2C suspension in an interview (published last April) with forum fellow MR. (source: here and here):
"MR: In what way did you listen to the existing customer base and included their remarks in this new car?
FvM: We have most definitely taken notice of what the current customer base and community has shared with us. We looked at where we could improve the package for the M2 Competition. The main change following comments was adding the M mirrors. The majority of the customers wondered why they were missing on the base M2 Coupé and therefore we added them. They are the same mirrors used on the M3 and M4 models. Other changes such as the new M Sports seats, M sports brake kit and the tweaked suspension will also be greatly appreciated by the customer base. Especially those would like to have that additional performance, a key asset of the Competition range.
MR: How did you separate the M2 Competition from the base M4 and made sure the price tag did not increase too much?
FvM: Interesting question. Pricing will be revealed mid-May so I cannot comment on the exact price levels of the M2 Competition yet, but I can ensure you that we looked thoroughly into positioning the vehicle between the outgoing M2 LCI and the base M4. This is the main reason why we didn’t add a carbon fiber roof, adaptive suspension or ceramic brakes to the M2 Competition. We really wanted to make sure that the M2 differentiates itself from its bigger brother both on specification level and price tag. The base price will not increase drastically!"
BMW M head of development Dirk Häcker mentioned "changed spring and damper tuning" and that chassis revisions provide the M2C with "significantly improved response and more progressive on-the-limit characteristics" than the original M2 (Autocar UK magazine article published last Spring: see here):

12-07-2018, 11:35 PM   #29
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
FWIW, here's what former BMW M boss Frank van Meel said about the M2C suspension in an interview (published last April) with forum fellow MR. (source: here and here):
"MR: In what way did you listen to the existing customer base and included their remarks in this new car?
FvM: We have most definitely taken notice of what the current customer base and community has shared with us. We looked at where we could improve the package for the M2 Competition. The main change following comments was adding the M mirrors. The majority of the customers wondered why they were missing on the base M2 Coupé and therefore we added them. They are the same mirrors used on the M3 and M4 models. Other changes such as the new M Sports seats, M sports brake kit and the tweaked suspension will also be greatly appreciated by the customer base. Especially those would like to have that additional performance, a key asset of the Competition range.
MR: How did you separate the M2 Competition from the base M4 and made sure the price tag did not increase too much?
FvM: Interesting question. Pricing will be revealed mid-May so I cannot comment on the exact price levels of the M2 Competition yet, but I can ensure you that we looked thoroughly into positioning the vehicle between the outgoing M2 LCI and the base M4. This is the main reason why we didn’t add a carbon fiber roof, adaptive suspension or ceramic brakes to the M2 Competition. We really wanted to make sure that the M2 differentiates itself from its bigger brother both on specification level and price tag. The base price will not increase drastically!"
BMW M head of development Dirk Häcker mentioned "changed spring and damper tuning" and that chassis revisions provide the M2C with "significantly improved response and more progressive on-the-limit characteristics" than the original M2 (Autocar UK magazine article published last Spring: see here):

But how did they tune it without changing the part numbers? Surely that would cause problems for existing M2 owners?
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2018, 12:18 AM   #30
ProperBimmer
Banned
Rep
Drives: 15 X5, 14 335

I would hope that the example car for of all things that bmw ever did right (to not forget about real car enthusiasts) the last few years, cracks the damn top ten list!
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2018, 12:49 AM   #31
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
But how did they tune it without changing the part numbers? Surely that would cause problems for existing M2 owners?
Notice how he vaguely said "the tweaked suspension" I honestly believe he's referring to just the shiny new carbon fiber strut brace everyone is raving about and not the actual dampers or springs.. That's businessman i.e. bs talk..

I don't believe the M2C carbon brace is anything more than eye candy.. The M2 already had a massively amount of reinforcement, including a less attractive strut brace, so how much difference can a carbon piece possible make..

BTW a lot of the reinforcement in the M2 wasn't new; it was all borrowed from the standard convertible 2 series and the rest from the M4.. So they didn't exactly reinvent the wheel with M2 chassis.

I'm not criticizing the guy, just keeping it real.
Appreciate 4
chris7197331.50
AESZ4104.50
Brake_Late1936.50
      12-08-2018, 02:31 AM   #32
trebled
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW M140i & BMW M2 DCT

Bushes - not herbaceous !

I am pretty sure that I read somewhere that they had firmed up some of the suspension bushes to capitalise on the improved stiffness from the strut brace and other marginal fine tuning. I assume that if someone has a root around the parts numbers they will find that the M2C has different bushes.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2018, 06:30 AM   #33
FSU_Logan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davil View Post
As this is the unofficial M2C / Camaro group I went to read about the latter but couldn't seem to find it. I do like that Mustang, but just a bit too big for my tastes.
2018+ Mustang is the best ever by far (weve had over a dozen) The A10 is incredibly quick and the car is very nimble with magneride. It's hard jumping in the M2C when our 18 5.0 is a mid 9 second DD with just a blower on it
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2018, 07:30 AM   #34
Brake_Late
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2015 F82 M4 FIREORANGE2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin_NL View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryem3 View Post
First review to cite revised dampers and spring rates, which I definitely believe to be the case. I agree, ride is considerably improved.
Exactly, imo it's not only the carbon brace under the bonnet, the M2C really feels more planted, less bumpy(esp.rear end) , even more balanced than OG M2's ride...

Dunno what they did to the chassis...

And with 4 persons in it OG M2 still felt rather bumpy, so what about the gained weight making the ride better? No idea...

Cheers
Robin
4 persons .... in a 2series ?
Wow that would be a first sighting for me.

Regardless,
it's nice to a VW out of a seat,
And make the top ten list.
BMWPhotoVin, 01of01, GTS DCT, EPS, MDM,
CS EDC,Analog Dip ,GTS parts.
Euro Vin e30 M3, FIA cage / 14.7 p / w ratio.
Euro E30 touring G30 MSport i3s LBB X5M
3.2carrera

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClRTsfNzuz_EjUBu59UCykA
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2018, 07:52 AM   #35
DgjoX6M2016
F86, G05, E91
United_States
Rep
Drives: F86 X6M

One of my personal favorite engine compartments. Something about the straight 6 in M trappings. And that carbon fiber element. Gorgeous. Does BMW provide a clear hood option?
Appreciate 1
Brake_Late1936.50
      12-08-2018, 10:09 AM   #36
PARTS@STBMW
Rep
Drives: BMW

Oh yeah, this is awesome.
Appreciate 1
Brake_Late1936.50
      12-08-2018, 12:45 PM   #37
ContactPatch
Major
Rep
Drives: It's Quick!

[QUOTE=Poochie;24087573]

I don't believe the M2C carbon brace is anything more than eye candy.. The M2 already had a massively amount of reinforcement, including a less attractive strut brace, so how much difference can a carbon piece possible make..

Wait a sec, it's carbon fiber, it has magical qualities. It is responsible for structural rigidity and torsional integrity. About 20 years ago carbon fiber was introduced to fly rods with the same claims. I purchased one ($$$) and never caught any more fish with it then my fiberglass rods. You could be right, it just might be smoke and mirrors. Besides, it looks like a tongue sticking out when you pop the hood, maybe for a reason!
Appreciate 1
Brake_Late1936.50
      12-08-2018, 04:47 PM   #38
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post

Yeah if you buy the parts are you getting m2 or m2c parts?
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2018, 05:21 PM   #39
aerokubectl
Major
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post
The new 3er better make it back onto this list.
The new 3er will also top the list of 10 Best Yachts of 2019
Appreciate 2
ChrisK4449.00
      12-08-2018, 06:19 PM   #40
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

Have you ever bought springs from BMW?

The part number is only for the fitment type. Within that part number are often numerous sub variants with differing rates. (Ever noticed the little tags on springs with a, b, c, d, e, etc on them?)

When you try to order the spring by basic part number they will then need the VIN to find the exact spring sub type dependant on model variant / date using a "spring table" on their ETK system,

Differing models can therefore easily have different springs but with the same basic part number.

Last edited by doughboy; 12-08-2018 at 06:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2018, 06:50 PM   #41
ContactPatch
Major
Rep
Drives: It's Quick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oshalygin View Post
The new 3er will also top the list of 10 Best Yachts of 2019
Is the 3er a Yank Tank?
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2018, 07:01 PM   #42
cwulffy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30

The M2 was great on its own. I don't regard C&D as a credible publication anymore.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2018, 08:01 PM   #43
stein_325i
Ring Leader of G8X Haters
No_Country
Rep
Drives: A Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwulffy View Post
The M2 was great on its own. I don't regard C&D as a credible publication anymore.
They never said it wasn't, when the M2 came out, it shared the 10 best position with the M235/240i for 2 years or so until last year when the Audi RS3 and Alfa Giulia got spots on the list. They just wish the suspension wasn't so harsh as they test cars on rough michigan roads, so they preferred the softer M235/240i, but since its been out the 2 series and M2 has been named the best bimmer in years by C/D.
      12-08-2018, 08:04 PM   #44
cwulffy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuastein55 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwulffy View Post
They never said it wasn't, when the M2 came out, it shared the 10 best position with the M235/240i for 2 years or so until last year when the Audi RS3 and Alfa Giulia got spots on the list. They just wish the suspension wasn't so harsh as they test cars on rough michigan roads, so they preferred the softer M235/240i, but since its been out the 2 series and M2 has been named the best bimmer in years by C/D.
Good point. I do love that stiff suspension but I know that it generally gets points docked from reviewers for "daily driver" status
Appreciate 0