BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > M2 Photos, Videos and Builds > Kimchi and Rice - A Build Saga (M2C) (Schirmer Page 9)

11-06-2018, 09:50 AM   #23
IND-Distribution
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: G80 M3 / G82 M4

Incredible thread!

Might have to hire a security team to watch over that rare M2c there.
      11-06-2018, 11:00 AM   #24
TiAg_E46_M3
2003 TiAg /// M3
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2003 BMW Tiag E46 M3

WOW! Awesome car especially where you're located. I wish you all the luck tho. For the record I'm Korean so I know first hand, but Koreans (in general) don't care much for their cars esp others. They swing their doors wide open and don't give 2 flippin birds if they ding your car or not.

I really hope you have a private parking spot or even better a garage because the parking situation is a nightmare, where people leave their cars in neutral and push your car to get theirs out??? OMG

But otherwise she's a beaut and really wish you all the best! I would hate for such a beautiful car get dinged by ignorant people who think a car is a car is a car.
Appreciate 3
      11-06-2018, 11:28 AM   #25
Aim.F32
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: SO M2C

Great write up and blog! This has inspired me to think about writing a blog for my new M2C and all the road trips across Europe I have planned.

Keep it up!
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2018, 11:57 AM   #26
O Haiii
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Toyota Tercel

Awesome story! I'm Korean and this thread made me want to eat KFR for dinner haha. Keep us posted on your journey!
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2018, 12:36 PM   #27
fullstack
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: around in circles.

It's crazy how everything shuts down during Korean thanksgiving! I'll be visiting next month and i'll make sure I try that goo goo cone. Thanks and good luck with the break in.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2018, 03:04 PM   #28
E9TOU
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 335i

Garage List
Question: Since you bought a USDM M2C from a South Korean dealer did you pay US MSRP or Korean? I've heard S. Korean car prices are astronomical compared to US so I'm just curious.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2018, 03:37 PM   #29
Happy Motoring
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: OG M2

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [10.00]
You're a brave man for driving a nice car there. There's a reason why every car has a dash cam in Korea.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2018, 03:58 PM   #30
pz619
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C 6MT, Tesla 3

Great write up and pictures! Another Korean guy here checking in. Really makes me miss the old country and those rest stops!
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2018, 04:25 PM   #31
Trapperj
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2C

Curious to learn which route you go for tuning. What fuels are readily available there?
Is E85 available? Good luck & nice ride!
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2018, 04:33 PM   #32
O Haiii
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Toyota Tercel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Motoring View Post
You're a brave man for driving a nice car there. There's a reason why every car has a dash cam in Korea.
There are actually tons of nice cars in Seoul. Much nicer cars than M2C roaming around all over. By "Nice" i just mean expensive haha.

They have dash cams because they dont have the whole invasion of privacy bs laws like we do here so accident cases are handled nice and easily via dash cam footage.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2018, 04:36 PM   #33
Happy Motoring
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: OG M2

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by O Haiii View Post
There are actually tons of nice cars in Seoul. Much nicer cars than M2C roaming around all over. By "Nice" i just mean expensive haha.

They have dash cams because they dont have the whole invasion of privacy bs laws like we do here so accident cases are handled nice and easily via dash cam footage.
Indeed, I'd never be able to afford an M2 there. Hell, I wouldn't even be able to afford rent. But cheap food and alcohol are plenty!
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2018, 05:47 PM   #34
warrenw
Food Critic
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 19 AW M2C, 21 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmosMpower View Post
Wow AW looks really good on the M2C. I felt it was pretty blah on the OG M2 but something about the changes to the bumper with the black wheels make it look great.
To be honest, I only got AW because it was the free option - couldn't fathom PAYING for a color lol but I'm really happy with it! It hides dirt well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavpilot2k View Post
Love me some kimchi. Never ate it fried with rice when I lived there, only traditional cold on white rice.

CHop chae bop is still one of my favorite meals.
And chicken cheese ramen (ramyon).

I lived there for a year in 2000-2001 while in the US Army. One of the greatest experiences of my life. I love Korea and Korean food.
Oh man, japchae is one of my favs, budachigae is another go-to as well - were you into spicy food when you were here? When I first moved I hated spicy food but now, I can't eat anything UNLESS it's spicy! I'm not a fan of cold kimchi though, even when I eat KBBQ I grill the kimchi, I think it tastes better.

Thanks for your service!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IND-Distribution View Post
Incredible thread!

Might have to hire a security team to watch over that rare M2c there.
Yeah it's definitely gotten attention in the BMW circles - I've even gotten cash offers for more than I paid. Thankfully theft is minimal/non-existent here - before the M2 I never even locked the doors on my car!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiAg_E46_M3 View Post
WOW! Awesome car especially where you're located. I wish you all the luck tho. For the record I'm Korean so I know first hand, but Koreans (in general) don't care much for their cars esp others. They swing their doors wide open and don't give 2 flippin birds if they ding your car or not.

I really hope you have a private parking spot or even better a garage because the parking situation is a nightmare, where people leave their cars in neutral and push your car to get theirs out??? OMG

But otherwise she's a beaut and really wish you all the best! I would hate for such a beautiful car get dinged by ignorant people who think a car is a car is a car.
Yeah one of my coworkers lives in an apartment building like that, where there's not enough parking so people just park anywhere and you have to leave your car in neutral / unlocked so people can push your car out of the way if they need to.

As for me, I park on the lowest basement level and in the corner, and myself and a few other cars park across multiple spaces. It's a shady move for sure, but the parking spaces are so small here and the M2 isn't compact so no matter what I'd get a door ding every time I park in a regular spot. So I park where a lot of people don't park and take up two spaces. The Ferrari two stalls over does the same thing lol

I'd say you have two groups of people here - those that DO care about their car, so much so that they live in a shit apartment and have a nice G80 or Equus, and people who they have a car but they know driving sucks here so it's beat to pieces lol!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aim.F32 View Post
Great write up and blog! This has inspired me to think about writing a blog for my new M2C and all the road trips across Europe I have planned.

Keep it up!
Thanks! I look forward to reading yours!

Quote:
Awesome story! I'm Korean and this thread made me want to eat KFR for dinner haha. Keep us posted on your journey!
Haha it's a weekly staple for me! 만나서 반갑습니다! When I first moved actually I hated Korean food because of some bad experiences in the states, but once I tried it "from the source" I'm hooked!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rdPedalAddict View Post
It's crazy how everything shuts down during Korean thanksgiving! I'll be visiting next month and i'll make sure I try that goo goo cone. Thanks and good luck with the break in.
EVERYTHING stops. It's crazy, but it's also nice that everyone takes a step back to rest. But good luck getting a train or bus going anywhere, they're sold out a month in advance once ticketing opens! I have some friends who buy as many open tickets as they can once ticketing opens, then once they know what time they want to travel they cancel the other tickets.

Goo-goo cones are amazing, and I'm not just hyping it up. Definitely get the chocolate one!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by E9TOU View Post
Question: Since you bought a USDM M2C from a South Korean dealer did you pay US MSRP or Korean? I've heard S. Korean car prices are astronomical compared to US so I'm just curious.
I paid US MSRP minus 10%. My car insurance, however, is priced at Korean MSRP, so if I crash I make money essentially.

Quote:
And a dash cam is what saved me when I got in an accident with my other car. Old lady swiped me when both of our lanes were turning left, her dash cam caught it (I was running naked) and both of our insurance companies ruled her 100% at fault because of it. Since then, gotta have a dash cam!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trapperj View Post
Curious to learn which route you go for tuning. What fuels are readily available there?
Is E85 available? Good luck & nice ride!
Eh - not the same as the US. Race fuel is extremely hard to come by. As far as premium, they have 98RON which is the equivalent to 93 octane, but that's on the Korean economy. I usually fill up 95RON because that's all I have available to me, and I'd rather pay $3.50/gallon than $6.75/gallon. No E85. For tuning I'll just try to get the GTS map and then leave it alone.

I'm also exempt from having to do Korean state inspections so I could technically get away with a lot of stuff if I wanted to.

Quote:

Yeah there are definitely a lot of nice cars. Motorsport isn't a big thing here, I've been to a few races and barely anybody attends, but you can still find groups of folks who are interested in it.

Biggest hardship with owning a nice car, especially in Seoul, is parking.

And yeah thank god for dash cams!

Quote:
Indeed, I'd never be able to afford an M2 there. Hell, I wouldn't even be able to afford rent. But cheap food and alcohol are plenty!
Well.... It depends. Rent is really doable it just requires a steep downpayment. You can rent money from the bank for a small 1.5-2% fee, then live either rent free or reduced rent. Then when you move out you get the downpayment back and you return it to the bank. Or you use your own money and then use that downpayment for your next place. In Seoul to live rent free it's usually 300k-900k, for reduced rent the lowest downpayment I've seen is $30k for a two bedroom. Of course studio apartments are a lot cheaper.

As far as food, yeah a lot of things can be cheaper but meat in general is expensive when compared to the US and imported goods always carry a fat premium. If you miss your steaks be prepared to pay!
      11-06-2018, 06:57 PM   #35
warrenw
Food Critic
South Korea
Rep

Dashcam install - Faaaaaail

Dashcam install - Faaaaaail

Not long after taking ownership I knew I had to get a dashcam because, well, people suck at driving here.

This is the land of infinite technology, so most places have this thing where they will drive out to you and install at your house/apartment/dark alleyway. So I thought, yeah that's the best thing to do.

My gf bought me a Blackvue DR550 2 channel dashcam. I like this one because it's small and compact. A lot of dashcams on the market are big, bulky squares because they include a screen - I don't need a screen because you can just tether the dashcam to your phone and watch from there... I also bought the "parking mode" piece, which allows it to continue to work when shut off, but I later realized before it got installed that when you do that with a BMW it actually voids your battery's warranty. I am currently looking for an external battery setup but as of right now they go for over $300...

So we made the appointment and the kid came out to install it. ~$30 for install, discounted because we bought from their retailer, not bad right?

As they say.... Be wary of things that are "too good to be true." When in doubt, pay the going rate (here it's about 80 bucks) to have a shop do it for you who, oh I don't know, does it on a regular basis. First this guy immediately starts taking all the trim pieces off so he can hide the wires. Ok great. Then once everything's in place, he starts to look for a place to get power. I would think that you would want to find power FIRST so you know how to route your lines... But nah. Shoot first, ask questions later.

He is literally tearing up my passenger side front console area when I ask him, are you looking for the fuse panel?? To which he replies yes so I show him that it's in the trunk. Well he decides that he's already too far into it to route any wires back there, so he continues looking in the front. Then decides that he's going to splice into an existing wire when I stopped the show and told him that I didn't want him to do that. He gets flustered and embarrassed, rushes to put everything back together and quits and leaves. Literally.

So we call his boss and his boss says that he'll do it himself - but that he can't do it that week, can't meet on a weekend, can't be after 5pm, blah blah blah so eventually I gave up and decided to do it another way.

I had my M2 shop guy at least get it hooked up and fixed but I still need to get it powered permanently in the car, I just haven't had a chance to go anywhere to do that yet.

Now here's the kicker - every single place I've had work on my car thus far, both my BMW specialty shop guy, the BMW dealer, my tint guy, my ceramic coating guy, all my 'guys' have told me the same thing - the dashcam install kid did a terrible, terrible job. The wiring part has since been fixed, but we were all really surprised with how bad it was. Trim pieces not installed correctly, wiring not fully hidden, the cap to the rear dash cam was still on, etc.

So we gave him a 1 star review online... Jumping headfirst without checking power first I can forgive, but shoddy wiring I cannot. Online reviews in Korea hold a pretty heavy weight, so hopefully he can be trained to do it right!

Lessons learned: while having someone come to your house may be convenient, it's not worth the hassle afterwards. Also, you get what you pay for.
      11-07-2018, 06:00 AM   #36
ry_h
Registered
Rep
Drives: '17 LBB M2, '15 AW f22 220d

Wow great story!
Glad to see another M2 in Pyeongtaek but we have never come across in this small city.
I've been lurking online forums (including Korean ones) and heard that there's an M2C in Korea, delivered near Camp Humphreys...it's you! haha
Btw, there are many great mountain roads in Gangwon-do, and a few nearby.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2018, 07:19 AM   #37
warrenw
Food Critic
South Korea
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdk1215 View Post
Wow great story!
Glad to see another M2 in Pyeongtaek but we have never come across in this small city.
I've been lurking online forums (including Korean ones) and heard that there's an M2C in Korea, delivered near Camp Humphreys...it's you! haha
Btw, there are many great mountain roads in Gangwon-do, and a few nearby.
진짜요?? 안녕하세요 만나서 반갑습니다!!! 저는 평택역 근처에 삽니다. I haven't seen a LBB M2, we should meet up soon! There's another M2 in Pyeongtaek too, we can all do something. Are there other M2's around too? I have seen a black one a few times before. I'll message you!
      11-13-2018, 01:12 AM   #38
warrenw
Food Critic
South Korea
Rep

Gotta protect the paint!

Gotta protect the paint!

I hemmed and hawed and kept going back and forth if I should do a paint protection film or if I should just do the ceramic coating, or maybe I should do a partial film, or maybe.... coating...... or maybe I should sacrifice a lamb and use it's blood to protect the paint, or maybe a paint protection film... Anyways I was really conflicted.

I was most overcome by the cost of some of this stuff, especially since I could buy film online pre-cut (3M) for a huge difference in price compared to what installers charge. I even looked at some of the brands that you guys are obsessed with and it was the same thing. Sure I may not be a professional installer, but I just didn't get it.

So I decided to just do a coating. I chose this place based on reviews I found online and overall I'm really happy with the results, they take a lot of pride in their work, I just wish I knew more about the product they used - it seems that most places around here don't use the common ceramic coatings that the US does, and when they do it was double the price so I didn't think it was worth it.

While I was tempted to stay the entire time and watch what they did out of sheer curiosity, I refrained otherwise I would have felt my girlfriend's wrath out of her sheer boredom. So instead we took the subway to Chinatown in Incheon and ate dim sum while we waited.

Meanwhile, the guy who runs the place took a bunch of pics for his own blog, and once he posted them I used them (read: I stole the pics) and I'll post them below with a rough translation of what he was talking about in his own post. His post is here.

The guy was bragging a bit about how his shop has become popular amongst foreigners... Apparently I was the second "foreigner" to visit his place, the week prior a Chinese guy went there. K.

Then he mentions how he was surprised when he opened the hood, and how behind he was with social media because he didn't know Korea had a M2 Competition, blah blah blah ok. He also mentioned that the rear taillights are similar to the Genesis G70 - not sure if I agree.

He mentioned how he had to clean out my trunk before cleaning it, I'll admit I tend to leave stuff in there...

He also made mention of my dog, who yes rides in my car with me.

Made some comments about vacuuming.

Time to start.

He has two bays, one for washing/cleaning/correcting and the other for applying coatings, films, and curing.

He also did the wheels.

He also has lights for curing, which I think is pretty cool, but maybe other places do too? I'm not sure. But still, I was impressed.

So overall I was happy with the experience, I will say that maybe next time I'll buy my own ceramic coating and then give it to them to apply, that way I know exactly what I'm getting and can vouch for it, otherwise I'm just going off of what someone says.

I'm happy with the results though, washing the car is really simple now, water beads off, etc. I am now rethinking getting at least a protection film for the front, I largely underestimated exactly how many rocks I would come into contact with and while I already have two small nicks but it's only going to get worse, so I might do that sooner rather than later. Hindsight is always 20/20 LOL.
      11-13-2018, 01:25 AM   #39
Davil
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 CS, 18 Vantage AMR, 00 WRX

Garage List
Isn't Gyeon (from South Korea) one the best products? Maybe he used that? I know lots of places down here recommend it.

http://gyeonquartz.com/about-us/

Funny story though

Koreans have quite a unique culture. So much of the world thinks of "Asian culture". But one country to another can be is as distinct as France & Germany. Also they have dolsot bibimbap. Like a heathen I like to throw my Kimchi into it. So good. It's probably as culturally strange to them as it was once was when I was in London with some customers watching the Chinese tourists mixing up their muesli with bacon and eggs.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2018, 05:41 AM   #40
warrenw
Food Critic
South Korea
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davil View Post
Isn't Gyeon (from South Korea) one the best products? Maybe he used that? I know lots of places down here recommend it.

http://gyeonquartz.com/about-us/

Funny story though

Koreans have quite a unique culture. So much of the world thinks of "Asian culture". But one country to another can be is as distinct as France & Germany. Also they have dolsot bibimbap. Like a heathen I like to throw my Kimchi into it. So good. It's probably as culturally strange to them as it was once was when I was in London with some customers watching the Chinese tourists mixing up their muesli with bacon and eggs.
Personally I'm not a fan, I like my bibimbap mostly cold with only the warmth of the rice - otherwise it just sticks to the bowl too much. Usually you put your gochujang sauce into it too (the red pepper paste) so that's close to kimchi so at least in my circles it's definitely acceptable lol. And yes, there are so very many differences between Korea, Japan, China, Thailand, Vietnam....etc.

As far as the coatings, yeah I'm not too worried, there are pretty high quality products here, I just don't know a lot about them!
      11-13-2018, 03:05 PM   #41
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrenw View Post
Gotta protect the paint!

I am now rethinking getting at least a protection film for the front, I largely underestimated exactly how many rocks I would come into contact with and while I already have two small nicks but it's only going to get worse, so I might do that sooner rather than later. Hindsight is always 20/20 LOL.
If you're thinking about getting it, get it sooner rather than later. It basically freezes in time whatever state the car was in when it gets PPF. If you don't care about rock chips, then it's not worth it. For me, every time I looked at the car or washed it I was inspecting for more chips. Every time a rock hit it on the road, I was thinking in my head "Oh fuck!"

Now that I have PPF on the front end if a hear a rock hit the front I just think "meh" whatever. I don't bother looking for more damage, because there probably isn't any. For me the cost was worth the peace of mind.
Appreciate 2
cptobvious2531.50
Poochie9099.00
      11-13-2018, 05:25 PM   #42
warrenw
Food Critic
South Korea
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
If you're thinking about getting it, get it sooner rather than later. It basically freezes in time whatever state the car was in when it gets PPF. If you don't care about rock chips, then it's not worth it. For me, every time I looked at the car or washed it I was inspecting for more chips. Every time a rock hit it on the road, I was thinking in my head "Oh fuck!"

Now that I have PPF on the front end if a hear a rock hit the front I just think "meh" whatever. I don't bother looking for more damage, because there probably isn't any. For me the cost was worth the peace of mind.
That's good advice, I'll look into getting something done ASAP then, at least just the front bumper.
      11-26-2018, 01:36 AM   #43
warrenw
Food Critic
South Korea
Rep

Let's go Racing

Let's go Racing

It's amazing how something as simple as buying a car can open up so many opportunities. After meeting some fellow enthusiasts at a BMW specialty shop when I showed them my car I was invited to a spec M4 racing series. It's multiple races, and it's put on by CJ which is an entertainment conglomerate here in Korea. The CJ SuperRace is comprised of 4 classes that each race separately during the day - Cadillac 6000, which is basically a stock car with a CTS-V body, Hyundai Avante Cup, Genesis Cup, and BMW M class (which is all spec M4's).

Here's some more information in English.

There are I believe 8 races in the season, so this was the 7th one. They rotate tracks, so this one was held in Inje, which is far east of Seoul.

Except, I was coming from even further... LOL

So as you can see it's about 3 hours to get there even though it's only 214 km, which goes to show how slow people drive....

Anywho, we had to arrive by 8 to get let in by our hosts because they had qualifying at 9. So I set out on the drive. Going to Seoul is the easy part, it's going East that starts taking a lot of time because it's only two lanes each direction so slowpokes get in the left lane and camp.

We arrived to the foggy, damp track.

Since everyone was in a rush we were quickly escorted to the staging area and I found a prime parking spot.

And watched everyone start to get prepared.

Lining up...

And warmup, then qualifying!

The setup is pretty cool, there's even a tire sponsor that changes tires on the fly for you.

There's also a hotel which overlooks the track that most of the folks stay in the night before the race.

The majority of these GT86's were shipped over from Japan to take part in the race just for today. Lotta coin!

This particular day these open air 4cyl racers were running too.

Before the races start for the day, everyone lines up on the grid, take pictures, get the team together, etc. This particular day even had a guest singer who sang a few songs.

Cadillac 6000.

The team. Remember, this is entirely self-funded, so they're racing their personal M4's. One guy is the head for BMW M sales, as in he sells the most M cars every year, another is the test driver for McLaren, etc etc.

For the race, it was either hanging out in the McLaren bay (they own one of the pit bays since they do testing here; no pics of inside though) or hanging out on the roof so I decided to hang out on the roof.

As you can see, motorsport isn't extremely popular here, especially in a more remote location, so not very many people came. LOL

The results were pretty staggering - the team leader, in the #17 car, went from 16th to 1st in 11 laps. I'll have to see if I can find in car video, it was really impressive!!! The winner gets the $8,000 cash prize and gets time penalized for the next races' qualifying. 2nd and 3rd also get a slight time penalty and they also get cash, although it's less than 1st place.

The downside to winning is you have to stay for the entire rest of the races for the day for an interview at the very end...

So everyone spent the time watching in car footage.

I ended up leaving a bit early because I knew it was going to be a long drive, especially with traffic, home and I had to feed my dog so she wouldn't die.

All in all loads of fun!

Last edited by warrenw; 11-26-2018 at 02:26 AM..
Appreciate 5
      12-05-2018, 11:30 AM   #44
infinitekidM2C
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
lol about the vpc issue. Korean males are hard headed ammirite?
Appreciate 0