BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > 550 miles in to Euro Delivery....loud knocking from motor that corresponds to RPM

11-18-2019, 07:00 PM   #133
Cannondale900
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '20 M2C, '10 535ixT, '91 M5

Garage List
2023 X5 45e  [0.00]
2015 LR4 HSE Lux + HD  [0.00]
1965 Shelby Cobra 4 ...  [0.00]
2020 M2C  [0.00]
1991 M5  [0.00]
2010 535ixT  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by goku7 View Post
Nice. I too have bought my m2c from Ziegler BMW. Dealing cross country is a bit taxing and I'm still working some things out but they are one of the better dealers from my experiences. They try to make things right.

Interesting how you got that car cover. The sales guy said they only have the futurist car cover and its not sale-able in the states.
Car cover NLA.....instead I got TPMS sensors for the wheels.

I knew of your situation and I can assure you Will was doing whatever he could to make it work.
Appreciate 1
goku7173.00
      11-18-2019, 10:03 PM   #134
Cannondale900
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2023 X5 45e  [0.00]
2020 M2C  [0.00]
1991 M5  [0.00]
2010 535ixT  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proctor750 View Post
So does your Cannondale (I assume) have only 1 fork or what's going on there?

Nice E34, don't ever sell it - I made that mistake.

Glad BMW hooked you up with some goodies as consolation.
Yes the fork on the bike has only one leg....called the Lefty. It's a 2012 Flash 29er that I've upgraded significantly over the years.....another hobby lol. My bike in college was a CAAD3 M900.....hence my username across any forum I've ever joined.

Highly unlikely I will ever sell the E34. I've had it at many tracks days over the years and I get offers on it almost every time. Most of the time it keeps the lift weighed down. My only regret is not holding out for a 93 in avus blue.
Appreciate 1
      12-22-2019, 05:13 PM   #135
MPBK
Everyday I'm shuffling
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 SG 135i DCT; '18 MG M2 DCT

OP, was this your problem?

Appreciate 0
      12-22-2019, 11:46 PM   #136
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Cannondale900, quite an ordeal of 'Freude am Fahren' in Europe that got abruptly curtailed. But it seems that the final outcome was kinda satisfactory for you and your wife. Your grace under pressure is remarkable, making the best of a thorny situation. In the mountains of truth you will never climb in vain: either you will get up higher today or you will exercise your strength so as to be able to get up higher tomorrow (Friedrich Nietzsche).

As you reported about the dreadful hassle to get BMW throw you and your wife a lifeline at the time when you got stricken/stranded in Prague, I'm curious to know whether you also tried to establish contact with BMW through the eCall SOS button ('Intelligent Emergency Call') located near the rear view mirror. Maybe you tried to make the distress call that way too, but to no avail due to local absence of network connection coverage ? eCall is designed for emergency situations (not limited to traffic accident situations only; for example you may also use eCall when you witness an accident). Given your situation, I think that everyone would understand if you had operated it.

Name:  BMW_M2C_Emergency_1.png
Views: 585
Size:  171.1 KB

Name:  BMW_M2C_Emergency_2.png
Views: 583
Size:  173.0 KB

Name:  BMW_M2C_Emergency_3.png
Views: 549
Size:  224.7 KB

12-23-2019, 12:21 AM   #137
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 F80 M3CS, %E2%80%9818 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Cannondale900, quite an ordeal of 'Freude am Fahren' in Europe that got abruptly curtailed. But it seems that the final outcome was kinda satisfactory for you and your wife. Your grace under pressure is remarkable, making the best of a thorny situation. In the mountains of truth you will never climb in vain: either you will get up higher today or you will exercise your strength so as to be able to get up higher tomorrow (Friedrich Nietzsche).
As you reported about the dreadful hassle to get BMW throw you and your wife a lifeline at the time when you got stricken/stranded in Prague, I'm curious to know whether you also tried to establish contact with BMW through the eCall SOS button ('Intelligent Emergency Call') located near the rear view mirror. Maybe you tried to make the distress call that way too, but to no avail due to local absence of network connection coverage ? eCall is designed for emergency situations (not limited to traffic accident situations only; for example you may also use eCall when you witness an accident). Given your situation, I think that everyone would understand if you had operated it.
Won't work for US spec cars while in Europe. It works off of a different infrastructure/system. Asked both times when we did ED (most recent one at the exact same time as OP) and both times were told it won't work while in Europe (the first guy even pushed the button to show us).
Wife's Prior Car: 2018 F80 M3, Yas Marina Blue, DCT, Black 19s, Carbon Structure Anthracite Cloth/Leather Combination, Driving Assistance Package (Euro Delivery Oct. 9, 2017)
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2019, 01:17 AM   #138
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thescout13 View Post
Won't work for US spec cars while in Europe. It works off of a different infrastructure/system. Asked both times when we did ED (most recent one at the exact same time as OP) and both times were told it won't work while in Europe (the first guy even pushed the button to show us).
Well, then the US customer is definitely left to his own devices during European Delivery if they give him an emergency number which in reality turns out to be of no use when he encounters an emergency situation. As if they give you a parachute bag without parachute: "if you get into trouble during the flight: don't worry, use this parachute" - you get into trouble and prepare for bailout...

Let's hope that BMW learns from this dreadful experience encountered by a customer, to improve its European Delivery service. You're given the comforting feeling of emergency assistance available, while in reality you're abandoned in a foreign country with a language you don't speak, with what was expected to be a joyful journey on The Old Continent getting ruined: quite a shame.
      12-23-2019, 01:58 AM   #139
Cannondale900
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2023 X5 45e  [0.00]
2020 M2C  [0.00]
1991 M5  [0.00]
2010 535ixT  [0.00]
550 miles in to Euro Delivery....loud knocking from motor that corresponds to RPM

Yep......I left the car for a few minutes after we reached Prague and my wife hit the SOS button while I had stepped away. It did not work and it locked up iDrive for a period of time. I returned to the car to use the Navi to locate the nearest BMW service facility and couldn't use it until the system reset.

Comms network for North America vehicles is different than European vehicles.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2019, 02:08 AM   #140
Cannondale900
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2023 X5 45e  [0.00]
2020 M2C  [0.00]
1991 M5  [0.00]
2010 535ixT  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thescout13 View Post
Well, then the US customer is definitely left to his own devices during European Delivery if they give him an emergency number which in reality turns out to be of no use when he encounters an emergency situation. As if they give you a parachute bag without parachute: "if you get into trouble during the flight: don't worry, use this parachute" - you get into trouble and prepare for bailout...

Let's hope that BMW learns from this dreadful experience encountered by a customer, to improve its European Delivery service. You're given the comforting feeling of emergency assistance available, while in reality you're abandoned in a foreign country with a language you don't speak, with what was expected to be a joyful journey on The Old Continent getting ruined: quite a shame.
Eventually BMW did call me a couple of times to discuss the issues in detail and I did leave them with my recommendations. The main issue that evening was Allianz did not perform according to the their SLA with BMW.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2019, 03:30 PM   #141
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannondale900 View Post
Yep......I left the car for a few minutes after we reached Prague and my wife hit the SOS button while I had stepped away. It did not work and it locked up iDrive for a period of time. I returned to the car to use the Navi to locate the nearest BMW service facility and couldn't use it until the system reset.

Comms network for North America vehicles is different than European vehicles.
ALL US-spec BMWs data connection is integrate with an IMEI on AT&T'a 4G domestic network, it's not going to work in another continent, which operates on a different carrier or simple GPS module.

European Delivery team should of made that clear to visitors.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2019, 04:56 PM   #142
MPBK
Everyday I'm shuffling
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 SG 135i DCT; '18 MG M2 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
ALL US-spec BMWs data connection is integrate with an IMEI on AT&T'a 4G domestic network, it's not going to work in another continent, which operates on a different carrier or simple GPS module.

Doesn't AT&T 4G use LTE/GSM technology? So does Europe and most of the continents. Why would it not be compatible?
Even if technically compatible, there's the question of who pays the bill. My AT&T phone works in Europe, but there's roaming fees to be paid. Maybe BMW disabled connectivity because it doesn't want to pay those roaming bills.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2019, 05:06 PM   #143
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPBK View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post

Doesn't AT&T 4G use LTE/GSM technology? So does Europe and most of the continents. Why would it not be compatible?
Even if technically compatible, there's the question of who pays the bill. My AT&T phone works in Europe, but there's roaming fees to be paid. Maybe BMW disabled connectivity because it doesn't want to pay those roaming bills.
I'm guessing it's provisioned to only operate in a domestic US markets.

They could, in theory, allow the service to "ROAM" in the ROW but it probably does boils down to cost and added carrier agreements, for such a small fragment of their total sales and a very short period.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2020, 08:29 PM   #144
Drv4fun
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '13 M3 (original owner)

What ever happened here? I read through all the pages at least I thought I did. I wonder why they didn’t give you a new car and send that one to schools/track days after repair..
Appreciate 0