BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > M2 vs... > Drove an M4 Comp, M2 Comp and M2 LCI back to back today, results surprised me.

05-03-2022, 02:50 PM   #1
///MFrankie
///MHead
No_Country
Rep
Drives: MK2 Focus RS Stage 4+

Garage List
Drove an M4 Comp, M2 Comp and M2 LCI back to back today, results surprised me.

Well, today, I got an opportunity I didn't think I would get, the chance to drive an M4 Comp, M2 Comp and M2 OG back to back on my own so I could properly get to know the cars. The results were... Interesting, to say the least.

I'll start by saying I have owned some fast cars and have a lot of time behind the wheel of the OG LCI M2 as my brother in law owns it. I am in the market for one of the three, and off the top of my head, the M4 was by far the one I expected to fall in love with and want to buy.

Let's start with the first drive... The M2 Competition.

I have been so curious about this car for a long time, especially having driven the OG M2 so many times; driving up to the dealership, they had it ready for me, and boy did it look good, so mean and aggressive. We got the small talk out of the way, and I was handed the keys to go find out for myself.

Initial impressions, the seats are excellent, the OG M2 lacks here. I love the leather steering wheel (My Bro has the V1 wheel); this surprised me, actually. And it sounds so much better on start-up in person than on YouTube vids. First things first, the driving position; I see what people mean now when they say the position is a little high in the M2 Comp; I had it in its lowest and most tilted back position, and it's nice and sporty don't get me wrong but was still high.

Put everything to Sport+ and hardest setting and off I went. The car makes a lovely rumble setting off, whether it's fake or real I don't care, I liked it. The diff whining away, engine rumbling, DCT shifting, it had occasion which is what I want. I took off and got the engine nice and warm and got myself onto some proper highway roads to start seeing what it can do, I floored in 2nd gear and it started wheel spinning, good start. I went through the power band a bit more to get to know the car and then switched to the paddles...

Well, I'll say first, it does act like a N/A car, the thing wants to rev, it wants to play. I felt a strong connection to the car, like I was driving it as it egged me on to do more. It's fast, very fast, but not an in your face fast, the power is linear and progressive. I both liked and disliked this; it feels like a proper performance car but needs a bit more low down grunt to get the stomach going.

The steering felt heavier than the OG, more planted and serious. You can tell this is a more focused car better suited for the track than the previous one. It felt more stable aswell, more comfortable performing hard. The DCT was amazing as always and I thought it sounded amazing to be honest, no complaints there.

There's something about the M2 Comp, it's drawing me in, I can't quite tell what it is but I want more, I feel like this is a car you could fall in love with the more you drive it.

What didn't I like? Well to be honest other than maybe the 'lack' (for lack of a better term) of low down thrust, there isn't much. The thing I loved is also the thing I kind of dislike.

The wheels look better in person, still not a fan, they lack concave and give the car a slimmer look. The worst back box in history, that thing looks hideous. Other than that in black with them Icons

I came away from this one so torn, I want more but not for the reasons I thought. Interesting car this.

Now, for me, the BIG one. The M4 Competition. A car I have obsessed over for years. I've watched every Youtube Video, read every thread.

I'll start by saying in my opinion the M4 is by far the best looking M car, it's gorgeous from every angle. I love the front end, so mean, from side on it is sublime. It has the M2 beaten here. The interior is lovely, a step above, leather everywhere, carbon etc. You guys know what I'm on about. The seats are a lot more adjustable, I was in a much better position in them, real low and slanted back like I was in the Apollo 13.

So, I go into this expecting well a car that wants to kill me, I will admit I was a little scared as I took with everything in its hardest setting. I've heard the stories and the nicknames.

Setting off nice and steady, again the engine grumbles along, sounds incredible. Has that supercar feel as you drive out of the car park, these M cars are something else. I get onto the same parkway I was just on in the M2 Comp and well both nervous and excited but thought here we go? I floor it and honestly was half expecting to shit myself when...

Well, it just accelerated, fast, yeah but very controlled, linear (hate that word) in fact. The wheels span in second, but nothing uncontrollable. The M4 felt big and heavy, very stable and comfortable at speed. I was a bit surprised but I thought let's get to manual. 2nd gear, 3000rpm floor it, again the revs build as the speed does, the engine comes alive at 4500rpm+

3rd gear 4000rpm, hold it and then floor, it propels forward in a controlled manner but is going 110mph in seconds. I was shocked, I was expecting a car that felt like a rocket, made me terrified and it was the opposite, a superfast cruiser. Yeah, I had read it was, nothing like the M2 but I was perhaps expecting a completely different car?

I'm no racing driver and perhaps if I spent more time with the car I'd see more of its character but my initial impressions were telling. Now, I'm not saying this is a bad car or slow by any means, in fact, the opposite; it's a rocket but a comfy, stable rocket.

Was it me? Was I driving it wrong? I had it at 7000rpm in every gear It felt big, and heavy, especially after the M2 (I know the M2 is almost the same weight).

I pulled back into the garage with more questions than answers lol these cars have so much character but boy are they different to one another. Perhaps, the M4 Comp isn't the car I've been looking for? Would the normal M4 be different?

To end the day I took the bro's OG LCI M2 out, why not? The 437 wheels are the best wheels BMW ever made, I'll never change that opinion.

I love the OG M2, it has so much character and fro day to day driving there really isn't much in it between the OG and the Comp. The Comp defo feels more set up and better on the road, it's faster and has more potential. But the OG is more fun low down and has more character, it's a real bargain for what you can pick them up for now.

Is the M2 comp better? Yeah, probably, not 10k better though.

So after it's all said and done, I find myself drawn back to that damn M2 Comp, there's something about that little fucker. If I could have the looks of the M4 with the drive of the M2 Comp and the low down acceleration of the Og M2 then I think that would be the perfect car, oh well, you can't have it all

Sorry, for the long write up, be interested to see what you guys think of them yourselves?

If it's okay I'll post this write up in both forums?

Cliffs.
M4 is a lot of stable and controllable than I thought.
M2 Comp is probably the most fun car BMW make.
OG M2 is still an amazing bit of kit.

Cheers
Appreciate 18
///M TOWN13117.00
DrJLag420799.00
wjones14640.00
D22M21366.50
Resoelg226.00
prompt292.00
happyjack1657.00
shaneguags1166.50
JMon3y26.00
Orjan184.00
dtmurf477.00
Robin_NL8679.50
ddnmkun153.50
hk2354.50
      05-03-2022, 05:09 PM   #2
///M TOWN
Rep
Drives: M GmbH

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.78]
Interesting feedback

I could own any of these M-Cars

I choose the OG M2 and couldn't be happier
      05-03-2022, 05:35 PM   #3
DrJLag420
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M240i

Nice write-up
Appreciate 1
      05-03-2022, 06:13 PM   #4
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M TOWN View Post
Interesting feedback

I could own any of these M-Cars

I choose the OG M2 and couldn't be happier
Completely my opinion.
      05-03-2022, 09:49 PM   #5
///393
Captain
Rep
Drives: X6

Sounds like a good day

You’re missing 3 more cars. Mildly tuned versions of each.

A tuned OG obviously steps it’s game up significantly compared to stock examples of the other two, but boy howdy is there potential with the S55 cars with a mild tune.

Makes for a heck of a decision on which path to choose. Good news is, they all kick ass.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2022, 10:09 PM   #6
jefe2000
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
When I started avidly watching the used car market here in the States, my eyes and heart were firmly set on an M2 Comp. Once in a while, in a fit of jealousy, my eyes would steal toward an M4. Then I watched the prices, especially on newer M2 Comps, start going up up up in early-to-mid 2021. But I had to have the Comp over the OG — right?!?

When I realized the OG was going to be far more car than I had EVER owned before, that was a turning point for me. Since picking up my '18 OG M2 at the beginning of the year, I haven't looked back. And my eyes haven't strayed even once back to that M4.

Still, lovely to read your back-to-back-to-back comparison!
Appreciate 1
///M TOWN13117.00
      05-04-2022, 02:59 AM   #7
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

I mean the m2 looks better than the m4, at least on the exterior. The M4 is so comically long for a coup. Sitting super low is overrated, you want to be able to see where to place the car, don't underestimate the importance of vision and looking where you want to be next. If you think the m4 is a cruiser you should try the new one. It's truly a boat.

Depending on the model year of the m2c and DME version you can flash tune it for more power lower in the rev range or whatever you want. Same for the m4.

Depreciation will be worse on the m4 for sure, if that matters.
Appreciate 3
///M TOWN13117.00
happyjack1657.00
      05-04-2022, 03:10 AM   #8
///M TOWN
Rep
Drives: M GmbH

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.78]
Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
I mean the m2 looks better than the m4, at least on the exterior. The M4 is so comically long for a coup. Sitting super low is overrated, you want to be able to see where to place the car, don't underestimate the importance of vision and looking where you want to be next. If you think the m4 is a cruiser you should try the new one. It's truly a boat.

Depending on the model year of the m2c and DME version you can flash tune it for more power lower in the rev range or whatever you want. Same for the m4.

Depreciation will be worse on the m4 for sure, if that matters.
Agreed

Very well said ‼️
      05-04-2022, 07:28 AM   #9
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Everyone of these cars is a solid choice, I always compare them very simply-

M2 - smaller, shorter, more twitchy
M4 - larger, slightly more luxurious, more stable

It kind of ends there, you need to decide what you want.
      05-04-2022, 07:42 AM   #10
RockChalkKU
Chump
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 LBB M2/'18 X3 M40i/'16 X5d

I was never sold on the styling of the M4, it looks ridiculous. Almost as if they took the M3 and said, "what if we just made super long doors and only put 2 on?" And didn't do anything to make the body look tighter. That being said, the power of the M4 far outshines the OG M2, but put a light tune on it and its the best bang for your buck with such a gorgeous sounding exhaust and an amazing feel on the road.
2010 BSM M5
2007 BSM 6mt M5

Last edited by RockChalkKU; 05-04-2022 at 05:05 PM..
Appreciate 2
ASAP10048.00
///M TOWN13117.00
      05-04-2022, 09:01 AM   #11
sk8funk
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Comp

I was in the same, well almost the same position. I never owned M cars or anything powerful to say the least. I bought an M240i and 3 weeks later after seeing few M cars, M4, M2 OG. i knew, i should have gotten an M car even if i had to sell myself (wishful thinking). I wanted the M4 and on the day of the test drive, they had an M2 comp and not the OG so i asked if i could test drive both. The M4 is gorgeous to my eyes and it's what i wanted. Test drive done on both and ended up exchanging my 240 for the M2 comp. I can't tell you how much i love the car. I love the OG though as i'm not the type to say, the comp is a real M car. For me the M2 in general is the most beautiful baby M car of all.
Appreciate 2
BigKutta3870.50
///M TOWN13117.00
      05-05-2022, 10:08 AM   #12
Sundinisagod
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2

I think a tuned m2 comp will be the car for you. Check out the YouTube channel The Smoking Tire for a review of one with 600hp (I think). Keep in mind more recent versions are locked from tuning but not impossible, you’ll have to do the research on that, I’m sticking with the OG.

Just my 2 cents, I think the m2 is much better looking than the m4, due to its curvy hips. It looks especially good once it’s been lowered.
Appreciate 1
///M TOWN13117.00
      05-05-2022, 10:48 AM   #13
TurtleFox
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2; 1976 Porsche 912E

Awesome write up. "So, I go into this expecting well a car that wants to kill me,". This had me chuckling.
Appreciate 1
      05-05-2022, 12:45 PM   #14
KevinC
your average JAMF
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M2 Comp, '19 Golf R

Garage List
My best buddy has a '15 M4. I never fully warmed to that car - just too big for me for what it is, and those early M4's really did have issues putting power down and "trying to kill me!" factor that was not great. I understand that was greatly improved by the time the Comp came around.

To me the big difference in how they drive is all about the shorter wheelbase of the M2c. Coming from a Z4 M Coupe, where the driver practically sits right on the rear suspension, the M2c has a similar feel of the car kind of rotating around your hips, whereas the longer M4 just feels like a big car. It's incredible how well the M2c hides its weight - feels much lighter on its feet, despite gobs of unsprung weight from the massive brakes & relatively heavy (for a forged wheel) 788M's. I'd love to drive a CS with the lighter carbon ceramic brakes and lighter 763M's. Those changes alone have to make a huge difference in how the car handles & steers.
      05-26-2022, 06:11 PM   #15
Dasnub
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2

I always thought the M4 was the worst looking M car myself. It’s basically a 440i with different bumpers and hood- it lacks the gorgeous hips of the M2 and M3. It’s also just stupidly long and most of the extra length is hood, so you don’t even really get much more passenger or cargo space. If I wanted a car that big (and I don’t,) I’d pick the M3 without hesitation.
Appreciate 0