BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > bootmod3 for BMW F series Vehicles - General Discussion

06-20-2018, 11:27 PM   #177
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Ok yep confirmed this is just a comfort mode oddity. Sport mode has more aggressive cooling. Thanks m2ruder

Last edited by stefan; 11-18-2018 at 09:48 AM..
Appreciate 1
M2OG400.00
      06-21-2018, 07:12 PM   #178
designatedposter
Captain
Rep
Drives: m235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan View Post
Ok yep confirmed this is just a comfort mode oddity. Sport mode has more aggressive cooling. Thanks m2ruder

Issues I had with the beta area:

- configuring cold start to OFF seems to not take. The cold start is still there and always obnoxious. Do I need to set something in the idle RPM below for this setting to take?

- burbles are basically completely gone--wonder if it went a bit far in the reduction. Anyone have recommended settings somewhere between OEM and BM3?

Other notes:
- love the way it pulls, no old overboost hesitation.

- turbo whistle has crept in (incl. at idle after throttle) . Wonder if this is an issue or just a reality of DP + BM3, or a bad sign.
Cold start off should be noticeable, you need to put in a ticket to ptf.

The loss of burbles, what's your customer setting? Have you tried in the diagnostics section to disable active sound?

I have m235i and my setting is 5.5 aggression with the least duration. I may increase to 6 after I heard a jaguar f type pass by..
      06-21-2018, 10:25 PM   #179
425M2
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2 - Mineral Gray

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
I’ve been using my laptop to connect to my car for the flashing. I have the iOS app on my phone too. How exactly do you use the phone app with the car? Is that separate agent box the only way? Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2018, 05:24 AM   #180
Norhidem
Private
Sweden
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp,M2

i'm buying the wagner 200cell DP and evo 1 performance intercooler, what bm3 stage would you suggest i use? We got good gas in Sweden. Stage 1 or 2? I'm a noob to this ;()

I'd like as much power as possible but also reliability.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2018, 09:18 AM   #181
designatedposter
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norhidem View Post
i'm buying the wagner 200cell DP and evo 1 performance intercooler, what bm3 stage would you suggest i use? We got good gas in Sweden. Stage 1 or 2? I'm a noob to this ;()

I'd like as much power as possible but also reliability.

Thanks
You meet the recommended modifications for stage 2 which are downpipe and intercooler.

As for reliability.. That's your call, but know that stage 2 tune has increased boost over stage 1 which is increased over stock..
      06-22-2018, 10:53 PM   #182
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 Mineral Grey M2

Is there any way to see what tunes are available without purchasing the device/app?
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2018, 12:22 AM   #183
designatedposter
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1s View Post
Is there any way to see what tunes are available without purchasing the device/app?
Poke around their website protuningfreaks
https://bootmod3.atlassian.net/wiki/...view/485130241
      06-23-2018, 06:41 PM   #184
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by designatedposter View Post
Poke around their website protuningfreaks
https://bootmod3.atlassian.net/wiki/...view/485130241
That link doesn't show anything about the tunes available. Specifically I'm looking for what mods need to be done for the tunes they have available. Doesn't make sense for me to buy this stuff and realize I don't have the supporting mods for the tunes.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2018, 06:58 PM   #185
MTWO
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2

You just sign up on bootmod3.net or using the app and you can see all the maps in the OTS maps screen.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2018, 07:18 PM   #186
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTWO View Post
You just sign up on bootmod3.net or using the app and you can see all the maps in the OTS maps screen.
Oh thanks, I see them now.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2018, 12:38 AM   #187
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1s View Post
That link doesn't show anything about the tunes available. Specifically I'm looking for what mods need to be done for the tunes they have available. Doesn't make sense for me to buy this stuff and realize I don't have the supporting mods for the tunes.
This stuff is pretty standard for all F87 OTS tunes.

Stage 1 = nothing needed
Stage 2 = FMIC + DP
Stage 3 = FMIC + DP + Turbo upgrade (although dinan calls this Stage 4 but w/e)

Last edited by stefan; 11-18-2018 at 12:14 PM..
Appreciate 1
      07-03-2018, 11:49 AM   #188
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan View Post
PTF fixed an issue in my Stage 2 91 OTS tune that prevented the cat heating = off setting from actually working after flash. Now it works like a charm along with the other tune config settings. Awesome customer service there. Also I imagine my neighbors will be a little happier when I set off at 6am.

This stuff is pretty standard for all F87 OTS tunes.

Stage 1 = nothing needed
Stage 2 = FMIC + DP
Stage 3 = FMIC + DP + Turbo upgrade (although dinan calls this Stage 4 but w/e)
Well most of us have never owned a F87 before owning our current F87 lol.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2018, 11:55 AM   #189
proTUNING Freaks
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: powered by bootmod3

UPDATES:

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1544162

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1544164
Appreciate 1
FSociety3811.50
      10-17-2018, 10:48 AM   #190
proTUNING Freaks
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: powered by bootmod3

UPDATE:
https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1546064
Appreciate 1
FSociety3811.50
      10-17-2018, 05:25 PM   #191
Mr Wyn
Rep
Drives: M2 LCi

Just a question for everyone regarding the GTS map or who's flashed the GTS map, is there any real advantage of having this map? i.e faster shifts etc? do you have to be in a specific mode to reap all benefits? I've flashed it myself but I cant really seem to tell apart from it up shifts faster (which I dont mind, I'm use to the fast upshift of the ZF8 I had previously in my F-type, and even faster upshifts in the GTR both in auto mode) Just want to know if theres any real advantages of having the GTS map? I think theres a difference but im unsure whether if its placebo..
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2018, 05:29 PM   #192
MTWO
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2

GTS transmission flash maximizes clutch holding power for our transmissions so if you’re pushing power I’d do it.
Appreciate 1
FSociety3811.50
      10-19-2018, 11:15 AM   #193
kpaso
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Sorry, dumb question:

If you have a BM3, you can clear/hide CELs right? So if you have a BM3, is there any reason to spend the extra money on a Fabspeed sport cat instead of a Wagner catted downpipe which might throw a CEL? Since if it does throw one, you can just hide it with BM3 and its no big deal?

Or is the concern around the fact that that CEL will be logged in the ECU and BMW can see that down the road when you are getting serviced?
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2018, 11:53 AM   #194
Nezil
Major
Rep
Drives: LCI '18 6MT M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpaso View Post
Sorry, dumb question:

If you have a BM3, you can clear/hide CELs right? So if you have a BM3, is there any reason to spend the extra money on a Fabspeed sport cat instead of a Wagner catted downpipe which might throw a CEL? Since if it does throw one, you can just hide it with BM3 and its no big deal?

Or is the concern around the fact that that CEL will be logged in the ECU and BMW can see that down the road when you are getting serviced?
No, the concern is for emissions and smell. A Sport Cat is still a Cat. It still reduces emission and smells. The only real benefits to going totally catless is that you can a) go unleaded, b) the sound (which is subjective), c) price.

I don't think there are any significant performance gains to be had from Sport Cat to Catless.

To be honest though, the emissions point is a little reduced because adding a tune makes emissions worse. A Sport Cat is still going to improve things, but I expect you'll be pretty far from compliant with a Sport Cat and tune.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2018, 02:00 PM   #195
kpaso
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nezil View Post
No, the concern is for emissions and smell. A Sport Cat is still a Cat. It still reduces emission and smells. The only real benefits to going totally catless is that you can a) go unleaded, b) the sound (which is subjective), c) price.

I don't think there are any significant performance gains to be had from Sport Cat to Catless.

To be honest though, the emissions point is a little reduced because adding a tune makes emissions worse. A Sport Cat is still going to improve things, but I expect you'll be pretty far from compliant with a Sport Cat and tune.
Sorry, that's not what I meant. I'm getting a catted downpipe regardless. From what I understand, with the Fabspeed I am guaranteed not to get a CEL. With a cheaper option like the Wagner, it sounds like there is an 80% chance I won't get a CEL.

If I'm going to have the BM3 installed, getting a CEL with the Wagner wouldn't be a big deal in the end anyway since I can clear it. So I might as well go with the Wagner and save some cash.

The main thing I'm asking is this - is it actually a bigger deal than I think because that CEL will be stored in the ECU and down the road the dealership will notice?
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2018, 03:12 PM   #196
kpaso
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Nvm, just read their update in another thread here:

Quote:
"Hey guys, we just pushed a new system update out for code reading and clearing that's under the Diagnostics screen. bootmod3 reads/clears DTCs (diagnostic trouble codes) from all ECUs in the car and allows for clearing codes from all modules unlike most other flash tools that have been limited to reading/clearing just codes from the DME.

This update adds support for code descriptions in all ECUs in the car and expands further on the previous set of DME codes that were there already. We also adjusted the code listing screen so on mobile devices with smaller screens the descriptions that were long and wouldn't show in full previously were now showing in multi-line format."
Looks like there would be no reason to spend the extra cash on a Fabspeed catted downpipe over Wagner if that's the case.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2018, 08:29 PM   #197
SeanWRT
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 & F87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpaso View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nezil View Post

Sorry, that's not what I meant. I'm getting a catted downpipe regardless. From what I understand, with the Fabspeed I am guaranteed not to get a CEL. With a cheaper option like the Wagner, it sounds like there is an 80% chance I won't get a CEL.

If I'm going to have the BM3 installed, getting a CEL with the Wagner wouldn't be a big deal in the end anyway since I can clear it. So I might as well go with the Wagner and save some cash.

The main thing I'm asking is this - is it actually a bigger deal than I think because that CEL will be stored in the ECU and down the road the dealership will notice?
Piggyback hides CEL. Tune adjusts threshold so there is no CEL in the first place, unlike someone just said earlier.

Cats efficiency differ. If CEL is your only concern, flash tune fixes it whatever cat you use.
      10-19-2018, 11:09 PM   #198
kpaso
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanWRT View Post
Piggyback hides CEL. Tune adjusts threshold so there is no CEL in the first place, unlike someone just said earlier.

Cats efficiency differ. If CEL is your only concern, flash tune fixes it whatever cat you use.
Got it, thanks!
Appreciate 0