BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Remus Exhaust + Fabspeed Sport Cat Review

04-17-2020, 10:54 PM   #111
bmxcamel
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F87 LCI, G01 m40i, E90 M3

Recently put together a video with some proper sound capturing this exact setup on my 2018 M2 6MT, enjoy:

Appreciate 7
AndrewC198910903.50
BruceM983.00
QM287.00
      04-18-2020, 09:07 AM   #112
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328d xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmxcamel View Post
Recently put together a video with some proper sound capturing this exact setup on my 2018 M2 6MT, enjoy:
Awesome, thanks! I'm sure this will be helpful to anyone considering this combo.
Appreciate 2
bmxcamel528.50
      04-20-2020, 11:43 AM   #113
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmxcamel View Post

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2020, 12:14 PM   #114
walnuttea
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M235i, Alpine White

OP, fantastic setup. Any chance you have additional pictures you might be willing to share with the new black chrome tips (I know you shared a few earlier in this post)? Thinking of pulling the trigger but still slightly hesitant on the looks with black chrome. I too have a BSM M2. Cheers!

**Nevermind, found your build thread Is there room for the adjustable tips to be moved inward to sit slightly more flush with the back bumper as well?

Last edited by walnuttea; 06-13-2020 at 12:43 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2020, 04:08 PM   #115
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by walnuttea View Post
OP, fantastic setup. Any chance you have additional pictures you might be willing to share with the new black chrome tips (I know you shared a few earlier in this post)? Thinking of pulling the trigger but still slightly hesitant on the looks with black chrome. I too have a BSM M2. Cheers!

**Nevermind, found your build thread Is there room for the adjustable tips to be moved inward to sit slightly more flush with the back bumper as well?
Yes the tips are adjustable to varying lengths and directions, almost to a fault. It takes forever to get them aligned with each other

That being said, the ability to adjust them however you want is really nice.
Appreciate 1
      06-23-2020, 07:07 PM   #116
walnuttea
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M235i, Alpine White

Appreciate the quick response! That's great to hear. Definitely sounds like a pain but I suppose it's better to have too many options than not enough.

Looking forward to trying it out myself
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2020, 09:35 AM   #117
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by walnuttea View Post
Appreciate the quick response! That's great to hear. Definitely sounds like a pain but I suppose it's better to have too many options than not enough.

Looking forward to trying it out myself

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2020, 02:37 AM   #118
MidnightM2
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewC1989 View Post
Remus Exhaust + Fabspeed Sport Cat Review

Howdy!

So a while back I purchased a Fabspeed sportcat and a Dinan Resonator Delete,

You might remember the write up I did: http://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1355352

(If you wanna hear more about the sport cat, click the link above. This review is going to focus on the addition of the Remus Exhaust)

I've been happy with that set up for the last 8 months but after getting used to it overtime, I decided I wanted a change in sound. My biggest gripe wasn't the volume at start up or when revving, it was the noise it did (or rather didn't make) on the highway. It just wasn't loud enough in gears 3-6. Not just volume wise but also the tone. It sounded so muffled and I knew since i already had a sport cat that the rest of the exhaust was to blame.

Having looked at a ton of options over the past few months, I kept finding little things I didn't like with many of the popular systems out there.

The MPE is loud but it sounds too hollow with the valves open and it has a cold start vibration issue that requires welding to permanently fix. It also isn't a true catback, it requires cutting. The tips aren't large enough for me and they cost a fortune. It drones at highway speeds. The additional bluetooth valve controller on top of the sport/comfort button seems like a PITA. I wasn't digging any of that. It of course does sound amazing with the valves shut but too many trade offs for me.

Armytrix, Akra and AA all cost more than I want to spend and tip options were limited,

Eisenmann and FI just don't sound the way I want (personal opinion),

Dinan sounds great and is affordable but the tips can't be changed and I REALLY wanted some brushed silver tips.

Why was it so hard for me to find a true catback exhaust system that retained OEM valve control, sounded good, had many tip options and didn’t cost an arm and a leg?

...It was starting to seem bleak.

Finally I came across a YouTube clip that caught my attention:

Remus!

An Austrian company that made exactly what I wanted!

The exhaust sounds amazing and it looks like a quality item.

It comes with a 3 year unlimited mileage factory warranty. This in addition to the fact that Remus exhausts are designed, engineered and manufactured in Austria (and not somewhere in Asia) meant a lot to me.

After all, BMW is a German brand so buying European parts for my car just feels right.

Valve control remains operated within the car just like stock, except there are 2 valves now.

There's also the option to purchase their valve control system for $600

I open and close mine with a CG Precision Variable Sound Controller I bought for $199

You can program it into your homelink buttons and open and close your valves without a remote/phone! Super cool.

Plenty of tip options! #thankyajezus

I definitely had my doubts after hearing videos of the exhaust with a stock cat. It seemed like a lot of money for not that much noise.

Don’t get me wrong, it’s a great noise…but it sounds a little too quiet for me.

I was unable to find any videos of what the exhaust would sound like with a sport cat (at the time) so I decided to take a leap of faith, got ready to eat ramen for a month and went ahead and purchased it.

The exhaust wasn't cheap (~$3000) but it was jusssssst within my budget. Sorta. (Whoops)

I went with these tips since my car is black:

I think the color contrast and tip size is perfect.

I prefer the straight cut look which is why I went with the 98mm tips (straight cut) instead of the 102s (slant cut).

There is plenty of room for adjustment with the long length of these tips. You can push them as far in or as far out as you want.

These things look like cannons and I love it!

Anyway without further ado, here are some video clips:

This is in MDM mode, then Sport+ (with valves open)

Some backfires near a wall on my way home (windows down, little windy)

And some tunnel videos

Since i already had a sport cat before i got this exhaust, the biggest change wasn't so much the volume the car made but when it made it. It's pretty much the same volume in gears 1+2 but a wayyyyy better sound. And when you hit the throttle in 3-6 it's actually audible now. Love love love it.

There are a few tweaks and adjustments we need to make with the tips but i'm really impressed with the exhaust and happy with my purchase.

I took it out this afternoon for a few hours with my windows down and music off to really listen for any rattles, shakes or drone. I didn't hear any while driving with the exception that If you have the valves forced open in MDM mode and have your radio off then you can definitely hear it drone at around 2500rpm. In Comfort, Sport, Sport+ there isn't any drone, even with the valves open. I don't ever drive for extended periods of time in MDM mode so this isn't an issue for me. I keep the car in Sport+ 99% of the time and it sounds FANTASTIC.

If for some reason you love driving in MDM mode and the drone is a concern for you then just don't buy the sport cat and you won't have that problem. The exhaust by itself is very civilized but with the cat added and the valves open it goes from Dr. Jekyll to Mr. Hyde. I love that but some of you might not, so fair warning.

Not my clip, but here's a 300cell sport cat paired with a remus exhaust:

And here is one by @bmxcamel with the exact same set up as me (200cell FB sport cat + remus cutback)

Also, I should mention: I find it remarkable how quiet the car sounds at idle when the car is warm. You can't even tell it's there till you touch the throttle.

Cold start is obv very loud because of the sport cat but after a min it gets much more civilized:

Here's a cold start with the valves shut. Still loud at first, but not as bad after a few seconds:

If you're concerned about waking the neighbors you can always have the cold start procedure coded out with a flash/bench tune.

If you are not tuning your car then there's a very easy way to get rid of the loud cold start. After you start the car leave it in neutral and put your foot on the gas. Raise the RPM very slightly...only 100-200rpm and the car will immediately quiet down a ton. Hold for 30 sec and you'll be good to go.

I will finish by saying that if you want the best ratio of dollars to decibels, then this isn't the set up for you. Get an MPE and a catless downpipe if you want that. This is loud but it's not going to blow your ear drums out. It will however make people stop and stare as you rumble on by. It's a great low, deep tone. Very authoritative.

When people pull up next to me at stop lights they don't go "What the hell did you do to that thing?!" but what they do say, (and this is a direct quote) is "Man you got that thing sounding right!". I'll take good noise over loud noise any day of the week.

So...is it worth spending ~$3100 on an exhaust, ~$1200 on a catted dp and ~$200 on a valve controller? That's really up to you. If you're on a budget then probably not, but if you are looking for a more refined, meaner sound (and don't mind spending a few bucks to get it), then this is the set up for you. I personally love it and don't regret buying it at all. Trust me, I'd attempt to return or sell it if I did.

One last thing I want to mention: I had my ASD (active sound) removed. This needs to be emphasized because it is a critical part of my review and experience with the sound this car makes in its current form. If you do not code it out or install a bypass harness it will be much louder in the cabin and you may experience drone so please keep that in mind.

Thanks for reading and I hope my write up helped you get a better idea of what this exhaust is like.

I also owe a BIG thank you to RemusUSA. You’ve made a wonderful product and I’m so happy I’ve finally found a new and improved exhaust set up that I didn’t have to make any compromises on. Cheers!
Hi Andrew,

I loved your review and how good is the Remus!

A couple of questions regarding the CG Precision valve controller:
- confirming VSC-1 is the type to purchase for Remus twin valve catback (I have the Remus harness linking both valves)?
- can you share your remote settings you requested from CG Precision (eg. Default closed; "on" valves open)

Thanks so much
Matt
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2020, 07:50 AM   #119
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightM2 View Post
Hi Andrew,

I loved your review and how good is the Remus!

A couple of questions regarding the CG Precision valve controller:
- confirming VSC-1 is the type to purchase for Remus twin valve catback (I have the Remus harness linking both valves)?
- can you share your remote settings you requested from CG Precision (eg. Default closed; "on" valves open)

Thanks so much
Matt
Hey Matt,

Next time you respond to a very long post, try not to reply to it because it will copy the entire post in your response. Simply making a post in the thread will notify the OP that you have a comment or question.

Now that that's out of the way:

1. VSC-1 what you want if you have an OG M2 (N55). Doesn't matter that the exhaust has two valves, the Remus system already comes with a cable connecting the two. The only difference between the CG VSC-1 and 2 is the inclusion of that valve link cable.

2. My settings are default = open, activated = closed
Appreciate 1
      08-03-2020, 08:09 AM   #120
MidnightM2
Private
Australia
Rep

Thanks for the rapid response.

My valves are constantly open currently which is annoying and will amplify noise if I add a downpipe.

I am wondering if there would be any drawbacks to having default setting to closed?
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2020, 08:17 AM   #121
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

My valves are constantly open currently which is annoying and will amplify noise if I add a downpipe.

I am wondering if there would be any drawbacks to having default setting to closed?
Nope no drawbacks, it's just a matter of preference.

Aside from the occasional early morning cold start I prefer to keep mine open, so default set to open made more sense to me since I would be hitting the open/shut buttons less frequently that way.
      08-03-2020, 06:58 PM   #122
MidnightM2
Private
Australia
Rep

Terrific thanks for your help mate!
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2020, 03:25 PM   #123
Duke Silver
Private
Rep
Drives: '17 MG M2

Quote:

I've got my controller to be default closed with no issues. I did that to reduce the cold start volume, but I ended up having the cold start deleted via ecutek as well.

Ultimately it comes down to how you want it setup and everyone will have a different preference.
Appreciate 1
      08-04-2020, 06:09 PM   #124
MidnightM2
Private
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke Silver View Post
Quote:

I've got my controller to be default closed with no issues. I did that to reduce the cold start volume, but I ended up having the cold start deleted via ecutek as well.

Ultimately it comes down to how you want it setup and everyone will have a different preference.
I'm leaning towards default closed.Do you have a downpipe/Remus?

Is the installation reasonably straight forward?
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2020, 06:16 PM   #125
Duke Silver
Private
Rep
Drives: '17 MG M2

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke Silver View Post
Quote:

I'm leaning towards default closed.Do you have a downpipe/Remus?

Is the installation reasonably straight forward?

Yeah I've got the Remus/Fabspeed combo. Having the valves closed did help a bit, I originally didn't have the valve controller and it was a bit much for me.

The controller install is simple enough, there's a connector behind the bumper which controller plugs into and the Remus Y cable connects into the controller. Probably a 15min job
Appreciate 1
      08-04-2020, 06:23 PM   #126
MidnightM2
Private
Australia
Rep

Legend. I'm initially going with MHD adaptor+bimmerlink as a short term but will pull the trigger on this.

Thanks for your help
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2020, 01:32 PM   #127
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Recently noticed my passenger side hangs a bit lower than the driver's side and it bothers me so much now that i can't unsee it. Finally found a tighter exhaust hangar that solved the issue. You can buy it here for anyone who has the same issue or simply wants to raise both sides up a tad.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Before:

After:

Appreciate 4
      06-08-2022, 07:33 PM   #128
bmxcamel
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F87 LCI, G01 m40i, E90 M3

If anyone's looking for the exhaust hanger mentioned in the previous post, it is called "RalliTEK 35mm Short Polyurethane Exhaust Hanger w/12mm ID - WRX & STI 08-16/Legacy & Outback 05-09/Baja 03-06/BRZ & FR-S 13-16". I noticed the product page 404's now on Amazon, but they work a treat if you can track them down elsewhere.
Appreciate 1
AndrewC198910903.50
      08-14-2022, 08:41 AM   #129
sfjm2
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 LCI 2018

Pulling out this old thread to ask.

Between the Remus and Akrapovic, which is a more bang for buck. or rather is the Akra worth getting at twice the price?
      08-14-2022, 10:07 AM   #130
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfjm2 View Post
Pulling out this old thread to ask.

Between the Remus and Akrapovic, which is a more bang for buck. or rather is the Akra worth getting at twice the price?
My opinion:

The titanium Akra system is more of a status symbol than a practical purchase on a street car. Unless you're stripping out your interior and creating a track weapon that needs to be as light as possible, it's total overkill.

I also don't think it sounds good at all (on the N55 M2), so even if it were the same price as the Remus, I'd take the Remus every time.
      09-16-2023, 12:10 PM   #131
luxo
Private
Rep
Drives: LBB 18' M2

Resurrecting this from the dead. Can't decide on the Remus or Dinan + res delete (I already have a Fabspeed sport cat). Has anyone heard both in person and can give feedback? I've only ever heard the Dinan in person. From the zillion videos I've watched I dare say the Dinan sounds a touch deeper but it's hard to tell based on videos alone.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2023, 12:17 PM   #132
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by luxo View Post
Resurrecting this from the dead. Can't decide on the Remus or Dinan + res delete (I already have a Fabspeed sport cat). Has anyone heard both in person and can give feedback? I've only ever heard the Dinan in person. From the zillion videos I've watched I dare say the Dinan sounds a touch deeper but it's hard to tell based on videos alone.
I think they sound somewhat similar. Sound is pretty subjective so it’s not really a one’s better than the other choice, it’s preference. Since they’re not that different tone wise to my ears, the deciding factor for me was build quality and being able to pick/change the exhaust tips. Remus wins both of those categories so that’s why I went Remus. If you can get a much better deal on one vs the other cost wise then do that. You really can’t go wrong.