12-10-2023, 03:28 PM   #1
DrChase
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Arrive and Drive

Hello members!

My M2C was struck by someone who ran a red light, so it’s in the shop for front-end suspension and body work. Yesterday at Buttonwillow, I rented a Supra (due to M2 currently being on the bench), but the experience was very amateurish. It was essentially a Turo car, with nothing track-prepped other than mild pads up front and some Motul. The car wasn’t even trailered to the event, and the business owner did not have basic tools, compressor, spare consumables, etc. I sorely missed my M2C, which a perfect balance for lapping and street manners. Although the rental situation was laughable, I loved the convenience and my wife loved that I did not have to prep a car prior to the event, or drive my track car to and from the event. I’ve never been open to trailering any of my cars (behind my SUVs) to tracks. Having done an arrive-and-drive event, I now feel it’d be perfect to do arrive-and-drive with my M2C, which I already track a fair bit.

I’m looking for a business, or even a competent fellow hobbyist, that would tech/prep and transport my car to and from track events. This would be particularly useful for the tracks days when I’ve got my family out for the day, or when it’s a long distance to the track. I usually run Chuckwalla, Streets, Buttonwillow, Sonoma, and Laguna. I live in Orange County. Is anyone out there aware of any businesses or individuals who provide this service? Im familiar with Will at WR Technica, but his services are at the top end of pricing and are more suitable/sensible for cars over $150K. I’m open to ideas!
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2023, 04:45 PM   #2
lax01
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

I have to imagine that California anti-business laws & insurance kills most of these businesses from even leaving the ground...

I would check with the actual track management(s) as they may have a better ideal of who is "renting" cars for track use...I know I've seen signs at Buttonwillow about renting cars or providing services. Otherwise, get used to the DIY-model

Good luck with your M2C
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2023, 09:22 PM   #3
DrChase
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by lax01 View Post
I have to imagine that California anti-business laws & insurance kills most of these businesses from even leaving the ground...

I would check with the actual track management(s) as they may have a better ideal of who is "renting" cars for track use...I know I've seen signs at Buttonwillow about renting cars or providing services. Otherwise, get used to the DIY-model

Good luck with your M2C
Thanks. I'm aware of rental options through Sevens Only, DK Racing, Fast Lane, and other schools/garages that are located on-premises at major SoCal tracks. Their offerings are specific to spec Miata, BRZ, and other cars that are not close approximations to M2C. I'll keep looking. I'm determined for a solution. Strom Motorsports in Irvine might be an option. I just love my M2C so much on track. I've owned half a dozen cars that I've tracked, and driven more than just those on track, and M2C is my favorite. The pace, balance, and versatility cannot be beat.
Appreciate 0