BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip > Aim Dash fuel/oil pressure

06-30-2021, 02:25 PM   #23
MrLizzzard
Private
Rep
Drives: m2

Hey everyone - so its been a bit of a rollercoaster - ive had a number of pm's from people, some really great people in the community, thanks.

Apologies for the lack of updates - the cars been in the shop and ive been in and out of hospital - all good now though.

So the dash on the street is good, speed is really clear, its nice to see the engine and oil temp large, shift lights etc, there are some bad points, Oil Pressure I cant get, fuel level i cant get. For the oil i need a T piece and a sensor really.

i have a track day next week and that's where I'm hoping it will really shine, i can see all sorts of data - i have set the dash to show green lights in increments of 1 for each 1/10th of a second gained per lap and red for - 1/10th for each tenth lost.

AP racing brakes also on the car - just need to sort some wheels out now!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-03-2021, 04:51 AM   #24
CoffeeLife
Coffee Every Day
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Garage List
2021 BMW M2C  [10.00]
MrLizzzard the progress is looking good! I keep going back and forth between AEM and AIM. Really wish there were other products with a clean and modern design...
-Recaro Pole Position , 2kBody Half Cage, Pinnacle Motorsports Half Cage (On order), CAE Shifter
-Remus Race + BR EL Mid
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2021, 09:10 AM   #25
ebisu8
Dom
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 Comp

Well done! Now I guess I just need to sack up and order one, the dash surround is sitting right here next to me, just need to do the actual MXG. A part of me is still tempted to order the OEM version but without the software pre-installed I'm sure I'll be more frustrated than you on this.

The side buttons are covered by the dash surround, is there a need to press them often? Are we going to need to press them at all?

Thanks for the update though, all in all it's perfect. The fuel almost empty notification will still go when it's almost empty, is that right?

Thanks
Dom
      07-06-2021, 02:13 PM   #26
MrLizzzard
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebisu8 View Post
Well done! Now I guess I just need to sack up and order one, the dash surround is sitting right here next to me, just need to do the actual MXG. A part of me is still tempted to order the OEM version but without the software pre-installed I'm sure I'll be more frustrated than you on this.

The side buttons are covered by the dash surround, is there a need to press them often? Are we going to need to press them at all?

Thanks for the update though, all in all it's perfect. The fuel almost empty notification will still go when it's almost empty, is that right?

Thanks
Dom

Hey Dom, unfortunately i found out today that the fuel warning lamp doesnt work, and not only that - the connection to the phone app to give you the fuel read out doesnt work either (displays the data at the point the cable was disconnected!!) ARRRRGH, so i got fuel surge on track (great), fortunately there was a filling station. Still need to have a think about that.

On the buttons, actually ideally you would be able to press just to move between a street and a track dash design, i had my laptop with me so changed it whilst plugged in - but ideally could do with getting to it.

ill report back more later!
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2021, 03:08 PM   #27
richf80
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 F80

You can get fuel level via OBD if that helps. I have an aim solo 2 and could not get this data either via can bus, but I can get fuel level and IAT via obd.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2021, 03:30 AM   #28
MrLizzzard
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by richf80 View Post
You can get fuel level via OBD if that helps. I have an aim solo 2 and could not get this data either via can bus, but I can get fuel level and IAT via obd.
Hi Rich, please let me know how - just using esys?
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2021, 09:24 AM   #29
richf80
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLizzzard View Post
Quote:
Hi Rich, please let me know how - just using esys?
I am not sure about Esys but I use a wireless Bluetooth obd dongle and connect to my iPhone. I can display fuel level and IAT that way on my phone. What I meant earlier is that you can get this data from obd so if you can think of a creative solution the data is accessible via obd. Of course you can use a phone as well; I use TrackAddict if you're interested in what app I use. I hope that helps.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2021, 10:17 AM   #30
MrLizzzard
Private
Rep

Quote:
I am not sure about Esys but I use a wireless Bluetooth obd dongle and connect to my iPhone. I can display fuel level and IAT that way on my phone. What I meant earlier is that you can get this data from obd so if you can think of a creative solution the data is accessible via obd. Of course you can use a phone as well; I use TrackAddict if you're interested in what app I use. I hope that helps.
ah right - I have ecutek on the car which i have a bluetooth connection for but it doesnt show the fuel level, i will try track addict - would you mind sending me a link to the bluetooth obd dongle you have please?
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2021, 01:16 PM   #31
richf80
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLizzzard View Post
Quote:
ah right - I have ecutek on the car which i have a bluetooth connection for but it doesnt show the fuel level, i will try track addict - would you mind sending me a link to the bluetooth obd dongle you have please?
Sure. Here you go: amazon(dot)com/Veepeak-OBDCheck-Bluetooth-Diagnostic-Supports/dp/B073XKQQQW
Appreciate 1
      07-12-2021, 08:00 AM   #32
MrLizzzard
Private
Rep

Quote:
Sure. Here you go: amazon(dot)com/Veepeak-OBDCheck-Bluetooth-Diagnostic-Supports/dp/B073XKQQQW
So I tried this and unfortunately it shows the fuel as 100% - which is a little odd as when the dash was disconnected it was at 25litres (think full is about 42 ish?)

Ill have another go, good app and suggestion though Rich thanks for that. Just annoying the fuel level doesnt seem to update!
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2022, 03:16 PM   #33
M2CGT
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Hi I just got an aim dash too and I’m trying to install it, but I am super confused with the wiring. I have the CAN wiring harness. Do you guys know where to plug that in?
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2022, 06:17 PM   #34
ROBM2C
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M2C , DATSUN 260z, Porche

@M2CGT

I just bought one, it arrives Monday .

Have you installed yours yet . If not I can try to help, because 2 heads are better then 1 sometimes

From other videos I just saw the harness is in the passenger footwell to the right so not hard to access the harness . ( not drivers side as I previously thought )

Maybe somebody who has already installed can confirm for us .

We need FARKLE to get one of these then we would have a video DIY !
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2022, 03:24 AM   #35
M2CGT
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

@ROBM2C I have just gotten around to installing it a few weeks ago. I’ve got it somewhat running. I have the same problem in that I can’t get the fuel level. I think it might have to do with the CAN connection but I’m not 100% sure. I will get around to switching the wiring later to see if my hunch is correct.

How about you? Have you been able to install yours yet? Mine came with the 14 pin connection for the can and the 23 pin connection for the different channels, is yours the same too?

And yeah seriously! I watch his vids all the time. I used it to get the bigger brake pedals and the brake front brake kit LOL pretty much everything
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2022, 10:09 AM   #36
omasou
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
Not sure if this helps but theses values are available via ODB

DriveDeck Sport (M Performance Analyzer) https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1399028
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2022, 01:11 PM   #37
ROBM2C
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

@M2CGT good to hear you have it hooked up ! I did not go with the OBD connection .

My MXG arrived I am just waiting on the dash insert to arrive before install .

It's too bad we cannot get fuel level or oil pressure … I may hit you up for some tips once my insert arrives.

Post pics ! Let's see that beauty !
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2022, 12:19 PM   #38
ROBM2C
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Well this took forever , but it's finally here !

Install to come .
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-08-2022, 05:09 PM   #39
to_riffic
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: rwd

Nice....congrats on the MXG. I used to have one in my MINI. They're badass.

Appreciate 1
ROBM2C314.00
      09-08-2022, 07:50 PM   #40
DRLane
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2008 m3  [6.63]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBM2C View Post
Well this took forever , but it's finally here !

Install to come .
Call AIM to get on their notification list for when the accelerometers are back in stock and to have the dash retrofit.

They've been shipping the units without and relying on the GPS for said data. It's a COVID supply chain issue but infuriating nonetheless…
      09-09-2022, 12:32 PM   #41
ROBM2C
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

@DRLane

Mines a street version MXG . It's not a logger .
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2022, 01:20 PM   #42
DRLane
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 m3  [6.63]
Quote:
@DRLane

What version do you have ? I have 1.2 and was told I am fine. It's the new version 1.3 that does not come with that .

Easiest way to test, power up the dash and connect it via WIFI or USB to RS3. Then you can see the live values.

Check what values are pulling for incline Lat/Long, Vert, etc. See mine are blank.
Attached Images

09-09-2022, 02:06 PM   #43
DRLane
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 m3  [6.63]
Quote:
I better contact them then .
Honestly, I was furious and asked that they share my frustration with leadership. Knowingly selling this "as is" without specific hardware they market as included at full price is unacceptable and possibly amounts to fraud. They're putting the onus on their distributors to inform us 🤬

They have a "plan" in place to get those affected with a recall and they'll update the intervals when available. Best to see if you're affected and get on their waitlist for the update whenever it comes available.

Sorry for the bad news. Maybe you're lucky 🤞.
      11-12-2022, 06:58 AM   #44
CoffeeLife
Coffee Every Day
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Garage List
2021 BMW M2C  [10.00]
Quote:
@M2CGT good to hear you have it hooked up ! I did not go with the OBD connection .

My MXG arrived I am just waiting on the dash insert to arrive before install .

It's too bad we cannot get fuel level or oil pressure … I may hit you up for some tips once my insert arrives.

Post pics ! Let's see that beauty !
Any work around to showing fuel level?
-Recaro Pole Position , 2kBody Half Cage, Pinnacle Motorsports Half Cage (On order), CAE Shifter
-Remus Race + BR EL Mid
Appreciate 0