BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > Pricing / Ordering / European Delivery / PCD > End of an Era - The Final Few EDs Comprehensive Compilation

06-23-2020, 03:04 PM   #265
MinionM3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3 // 2020 M2CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by F82PRETEND View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buchloe_Burkard View Post
Looks certain US will not be on the July 1 list of countries whose citizens can enter EU.
Apparently, the requirement is to be at or below EU-average of new cases over last 14 days per 100k citizens. The magic number is 16 at the moment, while US sits at 107.

Hopefully, the situation here will improve sufficiently by July 15, so that once EU decides to further relax the restrictions, we will be allowed in.
Yea, I was just about to post that. Apparently, they will update the list every 2 weeks. Could be very dicey and touch and go. For me, it's ED or bust, as I'll likely walk if I can't do the trip and focus on a Porsche ED next year. Really hope it doesn't come to that, because I'm getting really into planning this trip. It's something to look forward to and right now that is needed!
I'm in your same boat / it's ED or no go for me. I'm doing this for the experience, not necessarily the car. :-(

Current Garage:
2012 M3 ZCP, Mineral White, DCT: Track Build
2020 M2CS, Misano Blue, 6MT
Appreciate 1
      06-23-2020, 04:08 PM   #266
Fugly M3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3CX

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinionM3 View Post
I'm in your same boat / it's ED or no go for me. I'm doing this for the experience, not necessarily the car. :-(
I hate the way it comes off sometimes, but that's exactly it. The car is great...but it's really the journey. The M2C is not appreciably different/better enough on its own to justify just getting rid of my M4. If it comes to that and my dealer balks at the refundable $2000 deposit, I'll just say okay put it toward an extended warranty or some tires and we'll figure something out on that end. Getting the money back from Lufthansa and Germans at BMW Driving schools...well, that's another fight. Hopefully, I'm gleefully cursing through Europe in about 100 days and it's no big deal.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2020, 07:02 PM   #267
JCZ5
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 (G05)

Quote:
Quote:
I hate the way it comes off sometimes, but that's exactly it. The car is great...but it's really the journey. The M2C is not appreciably different/better enough on its own to justify just getting rid of my M4. If it comes to that and my dealer balks at the refundable $2000 deposit, I'll just say okay put it toward an extended warranty or some tires and we'll figure something out on that end. Getting the money back from Lufthansa and Germans at BMW Driving schools...well, that's another fight. Hopefully, I'm gleefully cursing through Europe in about 100 days and it's no big deal.
Hey, I have reiterated to BMWNA previously that the delivery experience made me a repeat customer. Even though I am not doing ED, I am hoping to do PCD. Without PCD, it's just not the same.
      06-24-2020, 10:57 AM   #268
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

according to the news today looks like all of EU is going to have America on the ban list. Not looking good for ED.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/23/w...imes&smtyp=cur
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2020, 11:00 AM   #269
Fugly M3
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
according to the news today looks like all of EU is going to have America on the ban list. Not looking good for ED.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/23/w...&smtyp=cur
Yea, that was as of yesterday. I think they release first official list next week.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2020, 12:26 PM   #270
marshall834
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M2 Comp

Wow that is so discouraging. I was actually thinking of this last night - "What if, Marshall, because Americans need to go to bars and like their freedom from masks, the EU just doesn't let us in?"

Welp. My late night mind meanderings seems to have a likely outcome.

Originally I was also thinking I'd cancel the order. However, I've gotten way excited for this and it would be a huge step up from my 228. PCD could be a decent, but admittedly less fun, consoldation prize.
E46 323ci
B6 Audi S4
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2020, 01:20 PM   #271
Buchloe_Burkard
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 Q7, 2020 M2C

Just heard from Raven. In case I need to postpone, BMW AG will store the already produced 2020 car and hold on to it until I am able to pick it up at the Welt (Aug or Sep).

Meanwhile, Lufthansa has yanked off all its JFK/EWR to MUC direct flights through Sep ME from its website, offering instead non-direct routes via Brussels. Most EU flag carriers are focusing primarily on flights within EU this summer, reducing their projected schedules to US cities to a minimum, and cancelling some routes altogether.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2020, 01:32 PM   #272
mercury26
Lord of the Rings
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20 Audi SQ5,05 BMW 330i ZHP

Garage List
Quote:
Just heard from Raven. In case I need to postpone, BMW AG will store the already produced 2020 car and hold on to it until I am able to pick it up at the Welt (Aug or Sep).

Meanwhile, Lufthansa has yanked off all its JFK/EWR to MUC direct flights through Sep ME from its website, offering instead non-direct routes via Brussels. Most EU flag carriers are focusing primarily on flights within EU this summer, reducing their projected schedules to US cities to a minimum, and cancelling some routes altogether.
Interesting. I booked a United flight from Denver direct to Munich in September. I booked it through United, but it is a Lufthansa flight. I have not received any notification that it was changed or cancelled, but will keep a close eye. We are in a very tenuous situation here.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2020, 01:52 PM   #273
Fugly M3
Major General
Rep

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercury26 View Post
Interesting. I booked a United flight from Denver direct to Munich in September. I booked it through United, but it is a Lufthansa flight. I have not received any notification that it was changed or cancelled, but will keep a close eye. We are in a very tenuous situation here.
Interesting...I booked RT LH nonstop flights from LAX...the outbound on Thursday, September 24 is no longer available, though the 23rd and 25th are. Expert flyer shows almost wide open availability for most of the surrounding week, save for Sunday...so I am wondering if they've cancelled Sunday and Thursday flights. I may have to call them and find out what they are going to do with me if this is the case. If so, I may cancel, take the refund and do something with miles on AA as those are fully cancelable with free reinstatement of miles right now.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2020, 01:58 PM   #274
marshall834
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M2 Comp

Quote:
Interesting...I booked RT LH nonstop flights from LAX...the outbound on Thursday, September 24 is no longer available, though the 23rd and 25th are. Expert flyer shows almost wide open availability for most of the surrounding week, save for Sunday...so I am wondering if they've cancelled Sunday and Thursday flights. I may have to call them and find out what they are going to do with me if this is the case. If so, I may cancel, take the refund and do something with miles on AA as those are fully cancelable with free reinstatement of miles right now.
I booked through Delta with miles (similar promise for refunds) and haven't heard anything. But it's Minneapolis to Atlanta, then Munich.

It sounds almost like a forgone conclusion that the US won't be on the July 1st list. Even if the list if reviewed every two weeks, we're looking at a dead minimum of July 15th and considering we are currently 5x the average infection rate when compared to EU, I don't see how we can reduce our rate that quickly. I'm considering my mid-August trip high risk now when I originally thought it would be enough time.

E46 323ci
B6 Audi S4
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2020, 07:07 PM   #275
MinionM3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshall834 View Post
Quote:
I booked through Delta with miles (similar promise for refunds) and haven't heard anything. But it's Minneapolis to Atlanta, then Munich.

It sounds almost like a forgone conclusion that the US won't be on the July 1st list. Even if the list if reviewed every two weeks, we're looking at a dead minimum of July 15th and considering we are currently 5x the average infection rate when compared to EU, I don't see how we can reduce our rate that quickly. I'm considering my mid-August trip high risk now when I originally thought it would be enough time.

I'm holding out - my delivery is scheduled for 9/9.... maybe Americans will be allowed back in as of 9/1? :

I'll be really bummed if this all falls through and we all miss our chance at the last round of Euro Deliveries...

Current Garage:
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2020, 08:50 PM   #276
mercury26
Lord of the Rings
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I'm holding out - my delivery is scheduled for 9/9.... maybe Americans will be allowed back in as of 9/1? :

I'll be really bummed if this all falls through and we all miss our chance at the last round of Euro Deliveries...
I am with you brother! My delivery date is two days before you, we will be in Munich on the 8th. If we make it to Munich, it would be great to meet up (if you are there on the 8th).
Appreciate 1
MinionM3492.00
      06-24-2020, 08:56 PM   #277
arciga18
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: LeMans/ Chestnut E90, RWD

If there is a ban in place, Will bmw honor ED price and ship the cars?

This is a big hypothetical question but everyone needs a backup plan.

ED was on my bucket list since 2011 when I started buying cars.

Had Planned on taking my dad but that fell through obviously . Sigh 😔

In rooting for you all.
Appreciate 1
Fugly M35075.50
      06-24-2020, 08:56 PM   #278
MinionM3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I am with you brother! My delivery date is two days before you, we will be in Munich on the 8th. If we make it to Munich, it would be great to meet up (if you are there on the 8th).
Yessir! I fly in on the 7th and the 8th is a free day for me to adjust and check out the town before delivery on the 9th.

Current Garage:
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2020, 09:10 PM   #279
Fugly M3
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by arciga18 View Post
If there is a ban in place, Will bmw honor ED price and ship the cars?

This is a big hypothetical question but everyone needs a backup plan.

ED was on my bucket list since 2011 when I started buying cars.

Had Planned on taking my dad but that fell through obviously . Sigh ��

In rooting for you all.
Even if they were to do that, we'd be better off walking. Can get the car for less as a US delivery or off-the-lot purchase. ED sticker is only $2945 less than US and I don't know anyone that got one for less than ED MSRP...maybe $500 or $1000. Instead, you can get about 10% off right now, which is closer to $6k. Additionally, if I were to consider that, one option I specced, the M Driver's pack, would have to be removed to save that $2500 as it's worthless to me without the autobahn for the 174 mph limiter.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2020, 09:16 PM   #280
mercury26
Lord of the Rings
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Even if they were to do that, we'd be better off walking. Can get the car for less as a US delivery or off-the-lot purchase. ED sticker is only $2945 less than US and I don't know anyone that got one for less than ED MSRP...maybe $500 or $1000. Instead, you can get about 10% off right now, which is closer to $6k. Additionally, if I were to consider that, one option I specced, the M Driver's pack, would have to be removed to save that $2500 as it's worthless to me without the autobahn for the 174 mph limiter.
I am going through similar thought process, but with that being said I am going to take M2C regardless of what happens. The M2C is an end of era as a vehicle, manual transmission, great design (the new M3/M4 grill is terrible), manual parking brake, non-digital gauges....I can go on. It's a modern classic.

If I cannot do ED on this round, then a Cayenne is going to replace my Q7 in 18 months. I checked out the 911, but that won't work for a family trip around Europe.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2020, 09:45 PM   #281
Fugly M3
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I am going through similar thought process, but with that being said I am going to take M2C regardless of what happens. The M2C is an end of era as a vehicle, manual transmission, great design (the new M3/M4 grill is terrible), manual parking brake, non-digital gauges....I can go on. It's a modern classic.

If I cannot do ED on this round, then a Cayenne is going to replace my Q7 in 18 months. I checked out the 911, but that won't work for a family trip around Europe.
Understandable...btw I think the LCI+ M2/M2C have digital gauges, no? Or is that just in the exec pack?
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2020, 10:21 PM   #282
AUSf22
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C HS & Ferrari Roma

Garage List
I hope you all stay safe during the travel there! corona is not completely over and in some countries, resurfacing rapidly!
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2020, 10:31 PM   #283
mercury26
Lord of the Rings
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Understandable...btw I think the LCI+ M2/M2C have digital gauges, no? Or is that just in the exec pack?
Not digital, just a lot of back lighting. I test drove one and with the lights out, you can still see the gauges. A couple Pre-LCI and LCI comparisons show the difference on the gauges.
Appreciate 1
Fugly M35075.50
      06-24-2020, 11:49 PM   #284
Fugly M3
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Not digital, just a lot of back lighting. I test drove one and with the lights out, you can still see the gauges. A couple Pre-LCI and LCI comparisons show the difference on the gauges.
I didn't realize that...guess I didn't look that closely...that's great!
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2020, 02:03 PM   #285
dll2k20
Rep
Drives: TBII M340i

Quote:
Croatia is definitely OK for ED trip as far as insurance goes. In fact, all EU member states (continental Europe) are fine + Norway, Switzerland and Liechtenstein. We were supposed to swing down to Istria during ED, but decided to cancel and focus on countries that flattened earlier in the pandemic.
Croatia is covered for ED trip insurance, but note that you cannot drive directly to the southern extreme of the country (including Dubrovnik) as that requires a short crossing through Bosnia and Herzegovina. A ferry is available to avoid this however.
      06-25-2020, 02:46 PM   #286
Buchloe_Burkard
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 Q7, 2020 M2C

Indeed, until (if ever) they build the Peljesac bridge, ferry is the only way to avoid the Neum "riviera". At least F82PRETEND has a definite confirmation that ferry is covered under ED insurance.
Appreciate 1
Fugly M35075.50