BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > S55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Exhaust gasket help

02-11-2021, 10:50 AM   #1
2020m2c
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M2

Exhaust gasket help

I'm replacing the exhaust in my M2C.
For some reason even the high-end exhaust manufacturers don't see fit to provide new gaskets and I do not want to rely on the old ones. As such I ordered new ones for me well-known supplier. The first at that arrived look damaged to me. See first 2 pics.

I contacted them and they immediately sent a new set by 2day Fed ex. The new ones just arrived and they also look damage to me as well (see last 3 pics).

Both boxes came perfectly intact with no signs of shipping damage. I'm confused as to whether the gaskets are actually made this way and conform to the pipes upon installation, or are these all just damaged gaskets they keep sending me? *
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-11-2021, 11:14 AM   #2
Detoxified
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2C HS

Following this as well since I am having the exact same problem!

Granted I did my downpipe install myself so I don't understand fully, but my new gaskets would NOT fit flush on the downpipes....

Do you install these on the downpipe then mate the midpipe? Or do you slide them into the midpipe then mate to the downpipe?

My gaskets were JUST barely too small, inner diameter, to slide fully on the downpipe. I opted to finely shave the inside of the gasket to fit it snug. I had to push them on with force and was not able to seal both pipes flush to the downpipes. Now I have an exhaust leak and I'm bringing the car to a shop to fix it.

Side note: I am using M3/M4 AR design downpipes, and M2C AA full exhaust/midpipe. Additionally I am using M3/M4 VRSF donut gaskets but ordered some OEM knockoff gaskets from FCP Euro to try... brand: Erling P/N: 18307851168

Anyone's insight is highly welcomed 🙏🏼

Photos for reference
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-11-2021, 12:16 PM   #3
2020m2c
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

These are all made in Germany, elring brand, advertised as brand new. I have not tried to fit any of them since they looked so terrible in the package. I left them in the package figuring on needing to return them.

I've never dealt with gaskets that look so poor in the package and I'm not sure if I'm missing something here? They look like they were run over by a forklift in the warehouse.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2021, 02:31 PM   #4
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

Just get oem BMW gaskets, mine were perfect fit without any marks and only a few ££ each, why bother when your spend £1000's on exhaust?
Appreciate 1
2020m2c180.50
      02-11-2021, 02:46 PM   #5
2020m2c
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by doughboy View Post
Just get oem BMW gaskets, mine were perfect fit without any marks and only a few ££ each, why bother when your spend £1000's on exhaust?
I thought that these were going to be OEM but even if AM they are damaged and not useable.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2021, 04:14 PM   #6
cpxchewy
Monkey
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C

I think you got a bad batch. Elring is the OE supplier and I got them too. Mine looks in much better shape than yours
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-11-2021, 07:05 PM   #7
2020m2c
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpxchewy View Post
I think you got a bad batch. Elring is the OE supplier and I got them too. Mine looks in much better shape than yours
Yeah, that's what I was lead to believe. Thanks for confirming the condition.

I don't know what's going on. It's a big supplier and was very quick to respond and send out replacements. Looks like they got damaged at the warehouse and no one is checking them when they pick orders. Will just go with another vendor I guess.

The biggest disappointment of the experience is that these expensive exhaust systems don't bother to give you a $20 part that they know you will need. Makes for extra unnecessary work but quite honestly I would rather just pay an extra 20 bucks when buying the exhaust and have what I need the first time.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2021, 06:17 PM   #8
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

I don't know what they are made from, but they are really soft. Any slight pressure can deform the edges.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2021, 07:15 PM   #9
2020m2c
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NISFAN View Post
I don't know what they are made from, but they are really soft. Any slight pressure can deform the edges.
The supplier was baffled. I sent both pairs back and will order from dealer. Strange but I guess they aren't storing them properly at the warehouse.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2021, 11:11 PM   #10
Detoxified
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2C HS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2020m2c View Post
The supplier was baffled. I sent both pairs back and will order from dealer. Strange but I guess they aren't storing them properly at the warehouse.
I just ordered 2 from FCP Euro, and they arrived today in perfect condition. They were shipped in a padded enveloper from the east coast to the west coast.

They will be installed tomorrow at the shop, I'll let you know how it goes/if they fit etc. The shop will plan on buying OEM M2C gaskets if these don't fit.

Edit: shop claimed my current VRSF gaskets were fine, the exhaust midpipe was just misaligned with the downpipes. So they aligned it all properly and tightened my downpipe to midpipe connection and all my exhaust clamps. The issue has been resolved. Basically a bad install job on my back with the downpipe and exhaust. I recommend taking your car to a shop for any downpipe or exhaust work if you don't have a lift. It's hard to do it all on jack stands/QuickJacks.
Appreciate 0