BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > DCT Transmission Mount Benefits ?

08-14-2022, 07:43 PM   #1
shaneguags
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Big Turbo BMW M2

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [9.42]
Does anyone know if stiffer aftermarket transmission mounts add the same benefit to DCT transmissions as they do to the manual ? I was looking to get some for my OG M2 but wasn't sure if it'll actually make a difference. I heard they allow quicker and smoother shifts on the manuals but I've yet to see a review with them on the DCT transmission. I have a sponsorship with 034Motorsports and was offered a deal for some, so I was curious to know if anyone has experienced any noticeable change after installing
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-16-2022, 01:14 PM   #2
blacksh33p
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 LCI

<Ignore me>

Last edited by blacksh33p; 08-17-2022 at 03:33 PM.. Reason: I was wrong
Appreciate 1
shaneguags1192.50
      08-16-2022, 01:19 PM   #3
shaneguags
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [9.42]
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksh33p View Post
AFAIK, you don't need it. The DCT has only one "transmission bearing" which is a different style entirely to a manual's two rubber mounts, and adds an additional support brace to the rear of the tranny.

DCT driveline slop for me seems to stem from the diff (or at least that is where I perceive any jerkiness at all and in fact there was some kind of TSB, at least for Europe, where if you had that slop/knock coming off and on the accel they would update to OEM poly bushings).

Incidentally, I experience this on my modded LCI and it is an annoyance so I am installing Turner's dual mount bracket and poly bushings all around for the diff to hopefully tighten things up next week.
awesome, thank you for the detailed clarification. if I'm experiencing a slight slop from high amounts of torque, what would you suggest would help ? I'm currently made 660whp with 590ft-lbs via dyno. when testing on the street, the car seems to do a slight jerk after shifting with all the power it's making.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2022, 09:51 PM   #4
Pussiwillow
Major
Rep
Drives: Alpine white 2014 335i msport

While I have an f30 with zf8
I passed this along in f80 group.
Rogue engineering has nice trans mounts. They were sold out so I went to AKG Motorsport and got e21 mounts with limiter cups.
Rogue is a plug and play version of e21 mounts, e21 needs trans bracket and upper support fork opened up for larger diameter stud.
This being said, people are happy with rogue mounts on dct, I'm beyond happy with my e21 with limiter cups, very little NVH at idle, drivetrain has minimal slop, even in the zf you let off, you can feel a jolt through chassis from stiffness, very connected feel when in the throttle, hard to explain.
I would do it, stock mounts are trash imo even on stock power. Just don't go poly lol

I did this after my diff brace install and felt an improvement for sure fyi
Appreciate 1
shaneguags1192.50
      08-16-2022, 11:53 PM   #5
shaneguags
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [9.42]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pussiwillow View Post
Rogue engineering has nice trans mounts. They were sold out so I went to AKG Motorsport and got e21 mounts with limiter cups.
Rogue is a plug and play version of e21 mounts, e21 needs trans bracket and upper support fork opened up for larger diameter stud.
This being said, people are happy with rogue mounts on dct, I'm beyond happy with my e21 with limiter cups, very little NVH at idle, drivetrain has minimal slop, even in the zf you let off, you can feel a jolt through chassis from stiffness, very connected feel when in the throttle, hard to explain.
I would do it, stock mounts are trash imo even on stock power. Just don't go poly lol

would you say the improvement was solely from the trans mounts though ? the differential brace upgrade seems expensive and not necessary for street driving so I'll prob skip that. also, do you suggest I just run Rogue then ? I heard they have no NVH, which is leaning me to buy them. also, what are the Rogue made out of ? I could have sworn they were poly as well
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2022, 12:30 PM   #6
Pussiwillow
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaneguags View Post
Quote:

would you say the improvement was solely from the trans mounts though ? the differential brace upgrade seems expensive and not necessary for street driving so I'll prob skip that. also, do you suggest I just run Rogue then ? I heard they have no NVH, which is leaning me to buy them. also, what are the Rogue made out of ? I could have sworn they were poly as well
The diff brace stopped the wheel hop
The trans mounts improved a lot of slop in drivetrain imo, especially heavy braking and acceleration you could feel the engine/trans moving around it was weird feeling, like unbalanced weight transfer, I did trans mounts and massive improvement, I upgraded engine mounts later and hardly a difference, trans made a massive improvement in my case, wife agreed when she ripped on it, car all around feels more connected if that makes sense
Some of the numbness you get from soft mounts is gone. I absolutely would do this mod 10x over again imo, simple job, takes like 30 min honestly, I did it on ramps, jack supporting the trans with board and towels to soften it, drop bracket, replace, install, done.
Appreciate 2
shaneguags1192.50
///M TOWN16543.50
      08-17-2022, 12:41 PM   #7
shaneguags
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [9.42]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

The trans mounts improved a lot of slop in drivetrain imo, especially heavy braking and acceleration you could feel the engine/trans moving around it was weird feeling, like unbalanced weight transfer, I did trans mounts and massive improvement, I upgraded engine mounts later and hardly a difference, trans made a massive improvement in my case, wife agreed when she ripped on it, car all around feels more connected if that makes sense
Some of the numbness you get from soft mounts is gone. I absolutely would do this mod 10x over again imo, simple job, takes like 30 min honestly, I did it on ramps, jack supporting the trans with board and towels to soften it, drop bracket, replace, install, done.
awesome, sounds like a good simple cheap mod to add ! looking at the 034Motorsport design, they looked like an hour glass shape and made out of rubber instead of poly. do you think this would be a solid choice for street / dailying ? I really don't want any NVH so I think maybe their design would be better for the streets in comparison to Rogue's. however, Rogue probably stiffer being a full block design.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2022, 02:55 PM   #8
Pussiwillow
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

awesome, sounds like a good simple cheap mod to add ! looking at the 034Motorsport design, they looked like an hour glass shape and made out of rubber instead of poly. do you think this would be a solid choice for street / dailying ? I really don't want any NVH so I think maybe their design would be better for the streets in comparison to Rogue's. however, Rogue probably stiffer being a full block design.
They'll be better than what was in there, still probably pretty soft
I got minimal NVH at idle, nothing through rev range even with limit cups.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
///M TOWN16543.50
      08-17-2022, 03:27 PM   #9
blacksh33p
Private
Rep

Quote:
awesome, thank you for the detailed clarification. if I'm experiencing a slight slop from high amounts of torque, what would you suggest would help ? I'm currently made 660whp with 590ft-lbs via dyno. when testing on the street, the car seems to do a slight jerk after shifting with all the power it's making.
That is exactly what I am experiencing and everything I found pointed to the diff mounts so that is what I am going. I'll post back next Tuesday or Wednesday after I pick it up.
Appreciate 1
shaneguags1192.50
      08-17-2022, 03:40 PM   #10
blacksh33p
Private
Rep

Ignore very first msg, I am an idiot and was reading the wrong part description on the diagram (it was late, I had Scotch). Def two mounts and same brace for M2. When I did tranny mounts on my 1er it helped significantly with the crispness of shift with the very minor addition of NVH but I felt no perceptible difference in the driveline slop after install.

I'll keep with my original suggestion though for diff mounts, I feel the slop from the rear and all research pointed to diff brace/mounts as culprit. I figure it's worthwhile.

I also came across this, which I know I get from time to time backing in/out of my driveway. https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1802743
Going to have this sorted with the diff brace/upgraded mounts.

I'll report back!

Quote:
Appreciate 1
shaneguags1192.50
      08-17-2022, 03:52 PM   #11
shaneguags
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [9.42]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I'm so OCD to rattles so I might just pickup the 034Motorsports and call it a day. with my discount they are like $40
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2022, 04:21 PM   #12
Pussiwillow
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I'm so OCD to rattles so I might just pickup the 034Motorsports and call it a day. with my discount they are like $40
Mine doesn't rattle, but you know the car is running
My wife can't do NVH, example, I had a full blown track prep e36 you'd want to wear ear plugs in, lol
But I'm still sensitive enough to it, anything is an upgrade over stock for sure, but the NVH from the rogue mounts without limiter would be nothing, my e21 mounts use beefy studs and those cups certainly add a lot and the NVH is nil
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2022, 06:12 PM   #13
shaneguags
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [9.42]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

My wife can't do NVH, example, I had a full blown track prep e36 you'd want to wear ear plugs in, lol
But I'm still sensitive enough to it, anything is an upgrade over stock for sure, but the NVH from the rogue mounts without limiter would be nothing, my e21 mounts use beefy studs and those cups certainly add a lot and the NVH is nil
the Rogue are rubber ? also, I heard people say there is slight NVH, so I might just try a different route with the 034Motorsport. you got any other cheap mod suggestions that may help my ride quality ?
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2022, 07:22 PM   #14
Pussiwillow
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

the Rogue are rubber ? also, I heard people say there is slight NVH, so I might just try a different route with the 034Motorsport. you got any other cheap mod suggestions that may help my ride quality ?
Rogue are rubber
Rogue is a plug and play version of the e21
Basically the same except e21 mounts (common to use on all chassis bmw) have larger studs so they require modification etc, rogue are plug and play, e21 slightly stiffer.
The ones you're looking at would be better over stock, they're easy enough to swap and cheap enough etc I say go for it bro
Appreciate 1
shaneguags1192.50
      08-17-2022, 08:18 PM   #15
shaneguags
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [9.42]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Rogue are rubber
Basically the same except e21 mounts (common to use on all chassis bmw) have larger studs so they require modification etc, rogue are plug and play, e21 slightly stiffer.
The ones you're looking at would be better over stock, they're easy enough to swap and cheap enough etc I say go for it bro
alright sweet man sounds good I appreciate the info !
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2022, 08:36 PM   #16
Pussiwillow
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Rogue are rubber
Absolutely man!
Appreciate 1
shaneguags1192.50
      08-19-2022, 03:23 PM   #17
shaneguags
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [9.42]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Rogue are rubber
Absolutely man!
I contacted 034Motorsport today about my sponsorship discount and I'm putting in an order today. I'm hoping these transmission mounts add a little benefit, I'm excited to see the result !
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2022, 04:36 PM   #18
shaneguags
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [9.42]
Just put an order in, I'll update everyone how they are once they are installed
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-20-2022, 02:36 AM   #19
shaneguags
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [9.42]
here's a comparison of the OEM BMW M2 transmission mounts versus the 034Motorsport street line density transmission mounts. 034motorsport utilizes slightly stiffer 60 durometer rubber, which is a significant upgrade from the 45 durometer rubber used in stock BMW transmission mounts. With this, these transmission mounts should be much more durable, reduce drivetrain slop, increase slightly smoother shifting, and avoid adding any noticeable NVH inside of the cabin.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
///M TOWN16543.50
      08-21-2022, 01:24 AM   #20
///M TOWN
United_States
Rep
Drives: M GmbH

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.82]
DCT Transmission Mount Benefits ?

08-23-2022, 02:00 PM   #21
blacksh33p
Private
Rep

Got mine back today. Went ahead and put the Rogue mounts on while doing the full Turner brace kit for the diff. Definitely feels tighter/smoother but I didn't get to really open it up yet. Hopefully get a chance to thrash it about later this evening, but definitely a perceptible difference in Sport+ revving high between shifts, doesn't feel anywhere near as clunky as it did.
Appreciate 1
shaneguags1192.50
      08-23-2022, 07:03 PM   #22
shaneguags
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [9.42]
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksh33p View Post
Got mine back today. Went ahead and put the Rogue mounts on while doing the full Turner brace kit for the diff. Definitely feels tighter/smoother but I didn't get to really open it up yet. Hopefully get a chance to thrash it about later this evening, but definitely a perceptible difference in Sport+ revving high between shifts, doesn't feel anywhere near as clunky as it did.
you DCT ?
Appreciate 0