BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Bootmod3 Owner Experience Thread

03-28-2018, 02:06 AM   #23
SeanWRT
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 & F87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by evoq007 View Post
For me I did the latest OBD Unlock process and OTS 91oct map. The car runs fantastic and the process was very easy! Similar to Cobb Accessport except you need a laptop. Process maybe take 5min total once you have all the proper software downloaded.

My only disappointment is the stock burbles are COMPLETELY gone. Traction mode also does nothing either. This is pretty disappointing for me.

Anyone know how to get them back?
Try disable ASD thru BM3 diagnose page. Can be done on the fly.

Should fix your burble.
      03-28-2018, 07:15 AM   #24
R0ME0
"The Midas Touch"
Rep
Drives: F87 LBB ///M2

Garage List
2017 M2  [10.00]
2008 Z4M - SOLD  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanWRT View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by evoq007 View Post
For me I did the latest OBD Unlock process and OTS 91oct map. The car runs fantastic and the process was very easy! Similar to Cobb Accessport except you need a laptop. Process maybe take 5min total once you have all the proper software downloaded.

My only disappointment is the stock burbles are COMPLETELY gone. Traction mode also does nothing either. This is pretty disappointing for me.

Anyone know how to get them back?
Try disable ASD thru BM3 diagnose page. Can be done on the fly.

Should fix your burble.
I tried this and it did not fix the issue.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2018, 09:09 AM   #25
nothingman
Private NumNuts
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 GT4

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by nothingman View Post
Great reviews, guys. I've been silently lurking and reading up on what mod path to take and know that BM3 is in my future, but I like to read-up as much as possible about things before jumping in and I have been disappointed by the lack of documentation and general knowledge available (that I can read in one place without having to follow numerous threads and FB posts) for me to drink in BM3.

You can go to a site like Hondata for tuning Acura/Honda and they have their own forum community with countless enthusiasts sharing best practices and help from one another on tuning. They also have a page with manuals that explain how everything works in detail. I can't seem to find that for BM3.

I'm also not a fan of excessive burbles; in fact would go so far as to say I could care less if the car didn't burble at all. All I care about is obtaining more power, so the frequent posts I see about "please add more burbles" scares me. I hope they add a feature to independently choose the burble level or even tune them out if the user wants.
So I took the plunge yesterday. For reference, my car is stock with an MPE exhaust, so I went with an OTS stage 1 93 octane tune. The DME unlock and flash were surprisingly easy and only took 15-20 minutes. Not without incident, however, as upon restarting the car I had three trouble codes including a fuel system error. I created a trouble ticket, and true to their character, I received a prompt response advising me to perform an online re-code to fix the problem. I did that this morning and it worked - the codes are gone! Their customer service is unbeatable.

Took the car out for a spin and after warming it up I got into it a bit. I noticed the burbles are definitely less than stock, which as I mentioned before I could care less about burbles. One of the first mods I did when I got the car was disable ASD thru Bimmercode, so I wonder if that affected the burbles? Either way, doesn't bother me.

I can't say I notice much of a difference. On WOT, the car does seem to make a new "hollow metallic" sound that I hadn't heard before. I had a buddy with me driving for several hours yesterday before I did the flash, and he heard the new sound too so it isn't just me. Not a big deal, just not sure what it is? Anyone else heard it?

I'm curious what I should have expected with the flash, as the OTS tunes don't give any documentation as to what is changed. I know the fuel maps have been altered, but what else do the OTS maps provide? Did it increase the boost a little? Was the top speed limiter removed? It would be nice if each tune gave a little more description, something like "stage 1 93 octane: adds 2lbs boost, approximate 5-10hp gain" or something along those lines.

Anyways, I'm happy I made the jump and looking forward to learning more about BM3 tuning!

Last edited by nothingman; 03-28-2018 at 09:17 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2018, 11:05 AM   #26
NOLAGUY
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: LBB M2

How would someone go from HEX to BM3? Do you just use the HEX stock flash? And then buy BM3 and treat the install as if was all OEM?
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2018, 04:48 PM   #27
R0ME0
"The Midas Touch"
Rep
Drives: F87 LBB ///M2

Garage List
2017 M2  [10.00]
2008 Z4M - SOLD  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLAGUY View Post
How would someone go from HEX to BM3? Do you just use the HEX stock flash? And then buy BM3 and treat the install as if was all OEM?
Correct flash back to with the HEX cable to stock and then flash with the BM3 agent.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2018, 08:28 PM   #28
NO_USER_
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLAGUY View Post
I've done this twice. Find my thread lol and avoid what happened there. Just flash back to FULL stock with HEX, then come to BM3! PM me if you have questions.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2018, 08:30 PM   #29
NO_USER_
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
So I took the plunge yesterday. For reference, my car is stock with an MPE exhaust, so I went with an OTS stage 1 93 octane tune. The DME unlock and flash were surprisingly easy and only took 15-20 minutes. Not without incident, however, as upon restarting the car I had three trouble codes including a fuel system error. I created a trouble ticket, and true to their character, I received a prompt response advising me to perform an online re-code to fix the problem. I did that this morning and it worked - the codes are gone! Their customer service is unbeatable.

Took the car out for a spin and after warming it up I got into it a bit. I noticed the burbles are definitely less than stock, which as I mentioned before I could care less about burbles. One of the first mods I did when I got the car was disable ASD thru Bimmercode, so I wonder if that affected the burbles? Either way, doesn't bother me.

I can't say I notice much of a difference. On WOT, the car does seem to make a new "hollow metallic" sound that I hadn't heard before. I had a buddy with me driving for several hours yesterday before I did the flash, and he heard the new sound too so it isn't just me. Not a big deal, just not sure what it is? Anyone else heard it?

I'm curious what I should have expected with the flash, as the OTS tunes don't give any documentation as to what is changed. I know the fuel maps have been altered, but what else do the OTS maps provide? Did it increase the boost a little? Was the top speed limiter removed? It would be nice if each tune gave a little more description, something like "stage 1 93 octane: adds 2lbs boost, approximate 5-10hp gain" or something along those lines.

Anyways, I'm happy I made the jump and looking forward to learning more about BM3 tuning!
I hear the different sound, it definitely has to do with wastegate tuning or something....I switched to HEX for that very reason the 2nd time LOL. Just to see the sound difference as stock sounds much smoother. BTW I'm back on BM3, check out my threads for the full story.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2018, 05:37 AM   #30
PackPride85
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:

Didn't realize they don't include whats changed on the notes. That's absolutely a requirement before I run any OTS map.
Appreciate 0