AWC-F87
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by OG Shark View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWC-F87 View Post
I appreciate the thoughts. But a 9" front wheel is going to have a lot more clearance than a 10" with a 275 tire.

I do agree that springs might be a helpful solution.
What is the length of the front spring that comes with the KW kit? Any reason you could not go to a shorter spring? How much camber are you running?
I was going to post last night and forgot. After bugging slicer Brett and scouring the web I determined that a shorter spring would be the way to go. I cranked the spring perch all the way up and had way more clearance. So I ordered 6" swift spring set and a 5.5" eibach set. Both at 10kg.

With the spring perch out of the way I will have way more room.

So the real trick here guys! You can run square anything from 18x10et40s 513 wheels to 18x9et22.
The major trick is to make sure the spring perch is above the tire or near the top of the tire when you are running a wider wheel and tire.
Appreciate 1
Rundskop148.00
      08-20-2021, 08:36 AM   #134
OG Shark
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: Angry

Quote:
I was going to post last night and forgot. After bugging slicer Brett and scouring the web I determined that a shorter spring would be the way to go. I cranked the spring perch all the way up and had way more clearance. So I ordered 6" swift spring set and a 5.5" eibach set. Both at 10kg.

So the real trick here guys! You can run square anything from 18x10et40s 513 wheels to 18x9et22.
The major trick is to make sure the spring perch is above the tire or near the top of the tire when you are running a wider wheel and tire.
Yeah it is all about clearing the spring perch. Ohlins have a larger perch as well that you have to get as high as you can to gain the clearance. Do this on the E9x M3 platform as well. We run 5" springs up front on those cars - do you think there is the ability to go to a 5" spring if needed with the KW Clubsports? What length is the spring that comes with the kit?
Appreciate 1
aatlas192.00
      08-20-2021, 09:15 AM   #135
AWC-F87
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Yeah it is all about clearing the spring perch. Ohlins have a larger perch as well that you have to get as high as you can to gain the clearance. Do this on the E9x M3 platform as well. We run 5" springs up front on those cars - do you think there is the ability to go to a 5" spring if needed with the KW Clubsports? What length is the spring that comes with the kit?
Yeah the E9x is where I got the idea. Then I saw slicers posts about it. I hit him up on IG.

The thing with the KW clubsport is I'm going to be at the top of the perch threads. So my ride height will be slightly dictated by the spring height and how much a spring will sag. That's why I ordered a 6" and 5.5". If I need to order more springs I will. They are cheap enough that I'm less concerned.

I also ordered the pre machined kw 60mm spring perch from HP Autosport. I'll have everything by Monday and I have a fender rolling appointment next weekend. So I'll finally get all this done next week.

The kw spring that comes in the clubsport kit is 6.61" long.

I'm pretty certain this will dial it in and allow clearances everywhere.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2021, 10:06 AM   #136
MrLizzzard
Private
Rep
Drives: m2

Quote:
Yeah the E9x is where I got the idea. Then I saw slicers posts about it. I hit him up on IG.

The thing with the KW clubsport is I'm going to be at the top of the perch threads. So my ride height will be slightly dictated by the spring height and how much a spring will sag. That's why I ordered a 6" and 5.5". If I need to order more springs I will. They are cheap enough that I'm less concerned.

I also ordered the pre machined kw 60mm spring perch from HP Autosport. I'll have everything by Monday and I have a fender rolling appointment next weekend. So I'll finally get all this done next week.

Glad that it looks like you have a solution now!

let us know how you get on with the fender rolling! i might need to do some of that..
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2021, 10:16 AM   #137
AWC-F87
Lieutenant
Rep

@MrLizzzard I'm glad I have a solution now too.
This was really bothering me. I hope this information helps future owners.
I wasn't willing to compromise tire width. I want to run 275 square. If not bigger! Definitely not narrower lol.
After seeing a car on 295 square I knew it could be done.

Lesson learned. Spring perch needs to be above the tire.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2021, 10:51 AM   #138
OG Shark
Rep

Quote:

Quote:
I wasn't willing to compromise tire width. I want to run 275 square. If not bigger! Definitely not narrower lol.

You are still having to roll the front fenders to clear 275? I have cleared 275 hoosiers (wide shoulders) on the front without having fender issues. What camber is that at?

Glad you hear you are getting close on your setup!
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2021, 12:35 PM   #139
AWC-F87
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

You are still having to roll the front fenders to clear 275? I have cleared 275 hoosiers (wide shoulders) on the front without having fender issues. What camber is that at?

I just want to be 100% sure they won't touch the fenders. So I'm erroring on the side of caution. I don't care if they rub the liner, which they will at full lock in both directions but I don't want to buckle the fenders.

I don't know what the kw clubsport camber plates max out at for negative camber. But with them maxed out negative it still visually looks close to the fender.

I'm not aligning the car until I have everything done.

I think the clubsport camber plate is somewhat limited in negative camber. Because with it maxed out the front wheels don't look like they have that much negative camber.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2021, 10:16 AM   #140
mcvaughan
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 Competition

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Yeah I can't figure it because I have no outboard clearance issues with a 275/35 SC3R with only 2.5 up front.
      08-21-2021, 06:54 PM   #141
AWC-F87
Lieutenant
Rep

For anyone looking to run a shorter spring on kw clubsports this is the spring I'm running. Also a really neat pass through socket set from Amazon. This allowed me to safely remove the camber plates.

I now have plenty of inboard tire/spring clearance!

Next weekend roll the fenders and we should be good to go on the square set up.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Rundskop148.00
      08-21-2021, 10:12 PM   #142
M1500Z
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: a white BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcvaughan View Post
Yeah I can't figure it because I have no outboard clearance issues with a 275/35 SC3R with only 2.5 up front.
Same. There's no reason to roll fenders with a 275/35 setup. because of my Öhlins, I am running an effective +15 on a 10" wheel with a 275/35 tire and -3.2º of camber—no issues on track.
Appreciate 2
Rundskop148.00
aatlas192.00
      08-21-2021, 11:04 PM   #143
AWC-F87
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1500Z View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcvaughan View Post
Same. There's no reason to roll fenders with a 275/35 setup. because of my Öhlins, I am running an effective +15 on a 10" wheel with a 275/35 tire and -3.2º of camber—no issues on track.
This is on 275/35 square et33. It's closer than I am willing to risk without rolling my fenders.
To each there own. I am rolling my fenders for every extra bit of clearance I can get.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2021, 07:47 AM   #144
OG Shark
Rep

Quote:
This is on 275/35 square et33. It's closer than I am willing to risk without rolling my fenders.
To each there own. I am rolling my fenders for every extra bit of clearance I can get.
Not saying do not roll the fenders - absolutely go for it if you want to - and please post pics afterwards so we can see how it came out. Being further inboard (if not running a spacer) will be interesting to see how it turns out - maybe room to go even wider

My OG is a hair less effective negative than M1500Z is in the front - at minimal strut clearance the hoosiers cleared the fenders no issue. With fender rolling should have plenty of room. I would drop down to 265 fronts on the street though just to gain a bit more room.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2021, 10:31 AM   #145
AWC-F87
Lieutenant
Rep

I will absolutely post pics here next weekend once it's all done and on the ground square!!
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2021, 09:09 PM   #146
DRLane
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2008 m3  [6.63]
For those curious.

Fall Line is running 18x10.5 square with 295/30 A7 on their M2CSR.

Front spacer is the oem 41 mm, and rear is 7mm.

Edit: Corrected to 41mm
Attached Images

08-23-2021, 07:25 PM   #147
mcvaughan
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRLane View Post
For those curious.

Fall Line is running 18x10.5 square with 295/30 A7 on their M2CR.

Front spacer is the oem 40mm, and rear is 7mm.
That's a massive spacer.
      08-24-2021, 03:00 PM   #148
MrLizzzard
Private
Rep
Drives: m2

Unsure how comfortable i would be running 40mm on slicks..
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2021, 10:02 PM   #149
DRLane
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 m3  [6.63]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLizzzard View Post
Unsure how comfortable i would be running 40mm on slicks..
It's the BMW oem spacer for the M2CSR, it's how it comes from the factory. The rear spacer is the unique part. That's not oem.
      08-25-2021, 12:03 PM   #150
RSXDC5
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3

Stupidest wheel setup ever with a 41mm spacer. I don't care if it's bmw or Joe Schmo…41mm is wildly excessive to enable tire rotations. The car clearly needs different spec'd front and rear wheels.
      08-25-2021, 12:57 PM   #151
DRLane
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 m3  [6.63]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSXDC5 View Post
Stupidest wheel setup ever with a 41mm spacer. I don't care if it's bmw or Joe Schmo…41mm is wildly excessive to enable tire rotations. The car clearly needs different spec'd front and rear wheels.
These are professional race teams running slicks in all sorts of conditions and race formats. I doubt they're doing it for tire rotation and I would trust their car setup capabilities over the forum's consensus.

Edit: Just spoke with buddy that's very familiar with M2CSR and the whole front suspension is unique to pull the spindle inward. This won't be replicable easily in the street M's.
      08-25-2021, 04:54 PM   #152
RSXDC5
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
These are professional race teams running slicks in all sorts of conditions and race formats. I doubt they're doing it for tire rotation and I would trust their car setup capabilities over the forum's consensus.

Edit: Just spoke with buddy that's very familiar with M2CSR and the whole front suspension is unique to pull the spindle inward. This won't be replicable easily in the street M's.
Rotation was probably the wrong word to use. I mean that teams would have the ability to throw on one of their wheels/tires on either the front or rear by using the massive front spacer…the spacer is the crutch that allows this to occur. It allows this at the expense of improper wheel fitment, massive scrub radius increases, and added wheel bearing stress.

Ideally, the front wheels would have their own unique offset/width compared to the rear. If you need to shorten suspension arms and add wild spacers, you are making compromises FOR A REASON, as stated above.
      08-25-2021, 04:58 PM   #153
DRLane
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 m3  [6.63]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Rotation was probably the wrong word to use. I mean that teams would have the ability to throw on one of their wheels/tires on either the front or rear by using the massive front spacer…the spacer is the crutch that allows this to occur. It allows this at the expense of improper wheel fitment, massive scrub radius increases, and added wheel bearing stress.

Ideally, the front wheels would have their own unique offset/width compared to the rear. If you need to shorten suspension arms and add wild spacers, you are making compromises FOR A REASON, as stated above.
Again, the whole front suspension is unique. It's not an apples comparison. I was wrong to share those details regarding the Fall Line car.

Nonetheless, I'd still argue professional tean engineers and BMW GT4 engineers are more competent than the forum as to whether there are compromises here.
      08-25-2021, 05:05 PM   #154
RSXDC5
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Again, the whole front suspension is unique. It's not an apples comparison. I was wrong to share those details regarding the Fall Line car.

Nonetheless, I'd still argue professional tean engineers and BMW GT4 engineers are more competent than the forum as to whether there are compromises here.
It's not an issue of competency my friend, it's about compromises. You are sacrificing max wheel fitment (and unique f/r wheel specs) for the ability to use a squared setup (enabled by spacers).

If you want max grip (via dialed-in tire width and offset) from the front and rear suspension, you need a non squared non rotate able setup.