BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > Oh Snap! New S4 starts at $45,900!!!

08-15-2009, 03:22 AM   #89
domobrown
Banned
Austria
Rep
Drives: Audi RS5 S-Tronic

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinturbo335 View Post
welcome to e90post.. remember, everyone here has the mentality that "my chipped 335/135 can beat your X"
Thanks man, I think someday, every car can peacefully coexist with the 335i.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2009, 03:34 AM   #90
Robert
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i -> is350 -> Tesla M3 perf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramos View Post
I really have no clue what you guys are talking about?? Maybe a stipper model?
I just priced one out at over $60K... That is M3 pricing... E90 335 is no where near that...

Your Audi S4Total Price
$ 60,225 Engine

S4 Prestige 3.0 TFSI quattro 333 HP S tronic$ 53,400

Exterior
Sprint Blue, pearl effect$ 475

Interior
S sports seat Silk Nappa leather Tuscan brown black

Equipment
Audi drive select package$ 3,950
Carbon Atlas decorative inlays$ 500
Silk Nappa leather$ 1,000
Driver Assist package$ 900
Doesn't the m3 starts off in 55-57k? that's almost 10k more than base s4?
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2009, 03:40 AM   #91
Robert
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i -> is350 -> Tesla M3 perf

Quote:
welcome to e90post.. remember, everyone here has the mentality that "my chipped 335/135 can beat your X"
Seriously huh, like Audi has no tuner who can wrung out audi's new v6tt. And we dont know the extend of the engine's potential. Anyone truly believe bmw is years ahead with turbo engine has never been in a competitive environment, where the difference is razor thin.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2009, 05:01 AM   #92
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

Yeah, those prices are off the hook--you fellas talk about 40-50k like it's not a lot of money for an entry level car. But they were more than several thousand less when the 335 coupe and sedan first came out (in my case the 2k9 is $3580 more for the same car). Pretty steep back then, but today, as they say, fuggediboudit.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2009, 08:03 AM   #93
A418t81
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Ever changing fleet

Garage List
2013 335is  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
Seriously huh, like Audi has no tuner who can wrung out audi's new v6tt. And we dont know the extend of the engine's potential. Anyone truly believe bmw is years ahead with turbo engine has never been in a competitive environment, where the difference is razor thin.
Yeah, and that's the other thing, Euro tuners are already making about 100 hp gains at the crank just through software alone on the new S4. One thing that I don't like about it, though, is the blower. I've seen/heard video of one with an intake and while you can't hear the SC with the stock intake, it's very evident with the upgrade and for some reason I really do detest that incessant whining.

Last edited by A418t81; 08-15-2009 at 09:45 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2009, 09:36 AM   #94
Borsig
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: '09 335i ///M-Sport

Im not a fan of the big ass front grille.

Also I went to my local audi dealer and their inventory really sucks. I mean in a BAD way. Its a real shame.

However when my lease is up in 3 years, if BMW is still nickel and diming me to death on options that should be standard on a $45,000+ luxury sports sedan (bluetooth, leather, sirius, premium sound) I may just go to audi. Of what I just listed - I only have leather. Its the car I chose off the lot, yes but these things should be standard. Period.

If the audi can offer the same performance, tunable to the same levels as the 335i, with more standard options and more features for the same price or less I will be taking a very serious ahrd look at the S4 in 3 years.

Its time for BMW to stop nickel and diming and include things that the others do standard...

Are you listening BMWNA? I expect you to work to retain me as a customer.

330 ---> 335i --->?

Make me want to stay a BMW customer.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2009, 09:45 AM   #95
Verrückt
Rep
Drives: Fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrad01 View Post
Impartial like getting paid to write a review for Audiworld? I'm just saying..

(Insert "I'm absolutely not being paid to say nice things about Skoda/VW/Audi" here...)

We believe you. Honest.
So I guess Audi must be paying off all the other publications that say nice things about the S4 too, right?

Have you driven both cars yet?

Don't assume I'd be paid to write good things. If it's crap, I'd be more than happy to say it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb4 View Post
I would have definitely considered the S4 if it was available when I bought by 335. My guess is that acceleration times will be similar. The torque and hp curves on the 335 are so much flatter than the S4 and I can chip the bimmer for 500 bones that will give me 50 more hp and torque. I'll take the inline turbo 3L-6. Based on my past Audi test drives in all likelihood I just won't like it. The RS4 on the other hand, that I likey, a lot. If the new S4 feels more like the last generation RS4, then Audi has something.
The S4 has better throttle response and no lag. It feels snappier. A chip alone gets about 100 hp on the S4 too.

Give the new one a try, it drives differently than the old S4.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2009, 10:18 AM   #96
jmsent
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: VW GTI

Quote:

The S4 has better throttle response and no lag. It feels snappier. A chip alone gets about 100 hp on the S4 too.

Give the new one a try, it drives differently than the old S4.
Just got back from a nice quiet Saturday morning drive in my 335 Coupe. After nearly 3 years of ownership, every time I drive my car I still come away telling myself "I love the way this car drives". You know what? I'll bet the S4 IS also a fantastic car. Why shouldn't it be? Audi is a high end German car manufacturer with all that implies, and has been chasing after BMW for years. Working hard against such a benchmark is going to result in a very good car with very similar dynamics. Maybe the S4 is even better than a 335 in some respects, and probably not quite as good in some others. It weighs more (and our 335's are already porky) Steering feel is not as good, acceleration is about the same, and the shifter doesn't get very high marks. I'm also no big fan of forward weight bias, even though Audi has tamed this to a decent degree. But the slick quattro setup and the nifty rear diff make a difference at the track. No one will ever convince me that a V6 has the smoothness of an I6, but then again, the supercharger has better throttle response than our TT's.
My point: Congrats, Audi, but I don't care. If it's an improvement, it's an incremental one at best. . BMW made a nice leap with the E90/92 335, and every competitor has jumped into the fray. I've no doubt the next 3 series will go the Audi one better and redefine the benchmark. In the mean time, the wait will be totally painless.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2009, 10:39 AM   #97
Verrückt
Rep
Drives: Fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsent View Post
Just got back from a nice quiet Saturday morning drive in my 335 Coupe. After nearly 3 years of ownership, every time I drive my car I still come away telling myself "I love the way this car drives". You know what? I'll bet the S4 IS also a fantastic car. Why shouldn't it be? Audi is a high end German car manufacturer with all that implies, and has been chasing after BMW for years. Working hard against such a benchmark is going to result in a very good car with very similar dynamics. Maybe the S4 is even better than a 335 in some respects, and probably not quite as good in some others. It weighs more (and our 335's are already porky) Steering feel is not as good, acceleration is about the same, and the shifter doesn't get very high marks. I'm also no big fan of forward weight bias, even though Audi has tamed this to a decent degree. But the slick quattro setup and the nifty rear diff make a difference at the track. No one will ever convince me that a V6 has the smoothness of an I6, but then again, the supercharger has better throttle response than our TT's.
My point: Congrats, Audi, but I don't care. If it's an improvement, it's an incremental one at best. . BMW made a nice leap with the E90/92 335, and every competitor has jumped into the fray. I've no doubt the next 3 series will go the Audi one better and redefine the benchmark. In the mean time, the wait will be totally painless.
That's a fair response and a testament to how good cars are these days. You can't lose with either choice.

The cars are very competitive on paper, but they are still very different. One isn’t trying to be like the other. As a result, most people will be polarized to one side.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2009, 10:54 AM   #98
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsent View Post
We shouldn't take it for granted--not everyone can drive a 3 Series and feel totally satisfied. If you get one at age 15, what are the odds that you'll be satisfied with it when you get your diploma 3 years later? But for those who drove junk for years before getting a 335, there's a 50% chance it could be satisfying 3 years later. I'm at 32 mos. and I'm still satisfied, so BMW did something right.

Physics shows that it's impossible for a V6 to be as smooth as an I6, in theory. Sure, they can throw in some counter balance shafts but that adds weight, complexity, and friction. Audi always builds and designs nice cars to look at, and they've sold the idea of FWD and weight forward cars quite successfully. From a marketing perspective, they are a stepchild to MB and BMW, but want desperately to get some respect. The day that an Audi beats an M in a comparo is just that day. A 335 is not an M, obviously. We don't have the badge on our cars, the maintenance or insurance bills, nor does the dealership hand wash our cars!
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2009, 11:23 AM   #99
Nutballa
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F13 M6 // BMW F22 M235i

The S4 interior is gorgeous. It would be very hard decision to make between the 2010 S4 and 2009 335. I see far fewer Audis on the road compared to BMWs. S4 really is a nice car.

"Power is nothing without Control" - Pirelli.

Appreciate 0
      08-15-2009, 11:37 AM   #100
flem
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 335xi

Garage List
2008 335xi  [0.00]
They should take the boost on the 335 up to 11.6 psi, stock for the S4, and re-do the road course test...

Bet that test would look different...
      08-15-2009, 11:54 AM   #101
jimf15e
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutballa View Post
I see far fewer Audis on the road compared to BMWs. S4 really is a nice car.
In my mind this is the nut cutter. Both cars are wonderful sports sedans, with each having an edge in different areas. I've loved my E90 330i, and I loved my B6 S4 before it. However, it's now at the point that in most parts of the country a 3 series is about as commonplace as an Accord or Camry - driven by every other real estate agent, 20 yr old college student, and recently returned military deployer. I'm in the Air Force, and BMW is now approaching the level of standard issue transportation. I exaggerate slightly, but in the parking lot of my squadron there are 5 3 series. On base there are 3 M3s. And it sounds like the same problem nationwide. I just prefer a little more exclusivity, and the S4 has that. You pay the price in having to wait a while for the car.

The bottom line - both are great cars, nearly equal in their plusses/minuses and performance. But this time I think I'll move back to Audi. I should be placing my order this weekend for a Prestige S-Tronic.
(Sold) 2006 BMW 330i/Jet Black/Black
(Sold) 2005 Audi S4/Moro Blue/Black
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2009, 11:55 AM   #102
jeremicium
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 328i

Garage List
Kinda funny how riled up some people get about something as insignificant as..my car is better than your car. Have to wonder if they spend as much energy debating about important things.

I do enjoy the hell out of my 335, pretty sure i'd be damn happy with an S4..then again i've driven shitty cars like a falling apart 68 Ford and an 83 civic wagon. I think a more enjoyable way to boast about the pros of your favorite car would be to get off the damn computer and spend the afternoon at a BMW and Audi dealership, then come back here and give your INFORMED summary.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2009, 11:56 AM   #103
DrGP
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Sapphire 335i coupe

Everyone needs to really look at the S4 in a unbiased fashion. I have gone from an E36 M3 to a A6 2.7t to an B6 S4 and now in a 335i. I loved all of the cars when I was leasing them. BMW AND Audi make some very nice machines. Is one superior or better than the other? Perhaps. And that is based on what you are really looking for in a car AND on personal preferences. Is the 3 series styling 'better' than the B8 S4/S5? Maybe? Are Audi's interiors nicer? Perhaps. Does the 3 series make Car & Drivers top 10 list every year. YES. Would anyone who owns a 3 series be VERY unhappy driving a COMPARABLE Audi or visa versa ? IMHO, not many. Is the stock performance of both the 335i and B8 S4 VERY CLOSE, YES. Do both models have the potential to significantly upgrade the their performance with just an ECU mod. YES. Are they competitively priced? YES . IMHO, the real differences comes down to 2 things. Do you really like one better than the other. Which individual dealer will give you a better price. Do you want to buy or lease. If you are buying you can get competitive rates on both cars. If you are leasing. The Audi rates have been very high for quite some time. My lease is up in 8+ months. I would prefer the S4 PREDOMINANTLY, because I prefer not to lease the same car consecutively and the 335i with a M sport pack is just not really that much different than what I currently am driving . While the S4 is completely different. That being said. I will be completely happy with either one. In fact I think it is highly unlikely that I will get the S4 due to BMW's attractive lease rates. I just don't think you can lose with either.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2009, 11:57 AM   #104
Borsig
Captain
Germany
Rep

Id drive it first....

I made that mistake with the GTO. I didnt drive it first....

Bus with a rocket engine strapped to it.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2009, 12:01 PM   #105
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep
Drives: VF

Quote:
Originally Posted by flem View Post
They should take the boost on the 335 up to 11.6 psi, stock for the S4, and re-do the road course test...

Bet that test would look different...
Yes it would. Limp mode always looks good in a comparo....
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2009, 12:02 PM   #106
Borsig
Captain
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrGP View Post
Everyone needs to really look at the S4 in a unbiased fashion. I have gone from an E36 M3 to a A6 2.7t to an B6 S4 and now in a 335i. I loved all of the cars when I was leasing them. BMW AND Audi make some very nice machines. Is one superior or better than the other? Perhaps. And that is based on what you are really looking for in a car AND on personal preferences. Is the 3 series styling 'better' than the B8 S4/S5? Maybe? Are Audi's interiors nicer? Perhaps. Does the 3 series make Car & Drivers top 10 list every year. YES. Would anyone who owns a 3 series be VERY unhappy driving a COMPARABLE Audi or visa versa ? IMHO, not many. Is the stock performance of both the 335i and B8 S4 VERY CLOSE, YES. Do both models have the potential to significantly upgrade the their performance with just an ECU mod. YES. Are they competitively priced? YES . IMHO, the real differences comes down to 2 things. Do you really like one better than the other. Which individual dealer will give you a better price. Do you want to buy or lease. If you are buying you can get competitive rates on both cars. If you are leasing. The Audi rates have been very high for quite some time. My lease is up in 8+ months. I would prefer the S4 PREDOMINANTLY, because I prefer not to lease the same car consecutively and the 335i with a M sport pack is just not really that much different than what I currently am driving . While the S4 is completely different. That being said. I will be completely happy with either one. In fact I think it is highly unlikely that I will get the S4 due to BMW's attractive lease rates. I just don't think you can lose with either.
+1 I just took delivery and I like my 335.. Audis lease rates suck, BMW's dont.

In 3 years the game may change yet again. But at this time Id still be going with the 335 due to lease rates.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2009, 12:06 PM   #107
jeremicium
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 328i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimf15e View Post
... and recently returned military deployer. I'm in the Air Force, and BMW is now approaching the level of standard issue transportation. I exaggerate slightly, but in the parking lot of my squadron there are 5 3 series. On base there are 3 M3s. And it sounds like the same problem nationwide. I just prefer a little more exclusivity, and the S4 has that. You pay the price in having to wait a while for the car.
Funny, i'm in the air force too..my squadron has about 300 people, i just added the fifth BMW to the arsenal...an 86' E30, 02' M5, 03' 325i, 03' M3, and my 09' 335i. Maybe when your used to high performance aircraft you want your ground transportation to behave the same.

I have to agree with the lack of exclusivity,when choosing my 335 coupe the only hesitation I had was...joining what i perceived as the "elite-pretentious BMW" crowd...and the hoards of 3 series on the road...granted most of them are black, white, or silver sedans.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2009, 12:40 PM   #108
Dumb Bass
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 jet black e90 6spd MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer Loyalist View Post
LMAO

"I just dropped 50k on this...this shit box...goddammit"
lmao. Buyer's remorse ftw.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2009, 12:49 PM   #109
dlim1989
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

Anybody know what the apr rates are on the new s4?

Just wondering
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2009, 12:58 PM   #110
NewSong
Just another jerk in a hat...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 Ford Focus

Cool

Quote:

Also:

- Any domestic are crap, the interior looks like legos, and they drive like boats (even if said domestic beats 335i on the track)
- 335i's just offer European finesse
- You get more women driving a Bimmer
- If a car is more luxurious, the 3 Series is sportier and higher performance
- If a car is higher performance, the 3 Series has the better interior
- If a car is both more luxurious and higher performance than the 335i, the the other car is ugly
- If a car is more luxurious, faster, and better looking, go f*** yourself, the 335i was just right for me and anything more is too much
- If all else fails, outright lies and slander about the non-335i car

I think that about covers it.

And he hath put a new song in my mouth.
Appreciate 0