BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > S55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Best charge pipe for S55...

01-08-2024, 01:05 PM   #23
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMOS Racing View Post
From an engineering standpoint, I don't consider the multiple segments in the Mishimoto pipes to be an issue. If we were talking about tuned runners that went directly to the intake valves, then absolutely, but the charge pipe is under pressure and upstream of the massively turbulent intercooler plenum.
That's true, but having smoothly flowing air as much as possible reduces flow restriction under pressure or not. So if you're seeking every bit or horse power or every bit of efficiency then having a smooth pipe interior with smooth bends is best.
      01-12-2024, 08:49 PM   #24
Backroads Bimmer
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeekendWarriorz View Post
Best chargepipes are going to be any silicone ones. They keep IATs cooler and are less susceptible to heat soak than metal/aluminum.
Do the silicone hoses have issues with expanding when under boost?
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2024, 12:09 PM   #25
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeekendWarriorz View Post
Best chargepipes are going to be any silicone ones. They keep IATs cooler and are less susceptible to heat soak than metal/aluminum.
My issue with silicone charge pipe is the higher failure rate. I'd rather get an aluminum pipe with better reliability than risk it for an unknown and minimal improvement in IAT

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 2
      02-06-2024, 09:29 AM   #26
okla_m2c
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '20 BMW F87 M2C

Garage List
I know this post is about charge pipes.. but for what it's worth, I've known of two TMICs (one being mine) that failed and began leaking coolant into the intake manifold. In both cases, it was hard to determine that there was a leak just from inspection on the outside. No codes, etc. We were only informed by a drivetrain malfunction warning when the car was under load/boost (at the track). If you drive normally and don't constantly do any pulls, it's hard to tell you have an issue since no codes are thrown.

Like those said, it's a common failure but should be under warranty and can be replaced by the dealer.

I ended up replacing mine under warranty, but I still have a brand new Mishimoto intercooler waiting to be installed. I guess I'm waiting for it to fail again before changing it out, but will periodically check the coolant reservoir to insure there's still coolant.

https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1570544
Appreciate 1
m2ss1790.00
      02-06-2024, 11:07 AM   #27
mike@x-ph.com
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by okla_m2c View Post
I know this post is about charge pipes.. but for what it's worth, I've known of two TMICs (one being mine) that failed and began leaking coolant into the intake manifold. In both cases, it was hard to determine that there was a leak just from inspection on the outside. No codes, etc. We were only informed by a drivetrain malfunction warning when the car was under load/boost (at the track). If you drive normally and don't constantly do any pulls, it's hard to tell you have an issue since no codes are thrown.

Like those said, it's a common failure but should be under warranty and can be replaced by the dealer.

I ended up replacing mine under warranty, but I still have a brand new Mishimoto intercooler waiting to be installed. I guess I'm waiting for it to fail again before changing it out, but will periodically check the coolant reservoir to insure there's still coolant.

I had the same issue; my stock cooler failed, and it took me some time to realize it. The car felt less responsive, but I couldn't pinpoint the problem and thought it was in my head.

I recommend closely monitoring the top cooler since it's prone to failure, especially as these cars get older, it'll only get worse

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 1
      02-06-2024, 11:41 AM   #28
Info@mad-us.com
Rep

Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by okla_m2c View Post

I've had the same issue happen twice with the stock cooler as well and it took me awhile to get a code for it. Luckily I started noticing extremely high Iats because the car never threw a light till I did a extended highway pull.

As far as the charge pipe's our charge pipe work extremely well and are very durable compared to the silcoln and if you plan on doing any type of injection we have the bungs already attached as well. As with all of our products we include a lifetime warranty which takes away a lot of the stress with buying aftermarket parts.
Appreciate 1