BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 CS Model > Why still no M2 CS 'in motion' test reviews & videos? Why 'Ring' laptime undisclosed?

05-10-2020, 12:10 AM   #1
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Why still no M2 CS 'in motion' test reviews & videos? Why 'Ring' laptime undisclosed?

A couple of F87 M2 CS aspects:
  • March 22, 2019: EUR-spec M2 CS photo vehicle WBS1J310907D55186 is built (see here); later on display in Brussels (September 2019 and January 2020);
  • August 14, 2019: US-spec M2 CS photo vehicle WBS1J3C03L7E06781 is built (see here); later on display in Los Angeles (November 2019);
  • Sep 17, 2019: preview of a EUR-spec M2 CS in Brussels (see here);
  • Sep 24, 2019: Sport Auto releases a test review + test video of a pre-production M2 CS on the Hockenheimring (see here);
  • Nov 6, 2019: introduction of M2 CS and M2 CS Racing (see here) + M2 CS ordering process starts in Europe;
  • Nov 20, 2019: US-spec M2 CS presentation in Los Angeles at the L.A. Auto Show (see here);
  • Nov 26, 2019: BMW M boss Markus Flasch about the official Nürburgring Nordschleife M2 CS lap time: "we are going to disclose something but it is too early" (see here);
  • Jan 10, 2020: EUR-spec M2 CS presentation in Brussels at the Brussels Motor Show (see here);
  • March 2020: EUR-spec M2 CS goes into production + subsequently production stop because of COVID-19;
  • March-April 2020: first EUR-spec M2 CS cars are delivered to dealerships (see for example here (HS) and here (BSM));
  • April 18, 2020: BMW M boss Markus Flasch promotes the M2 CS again in a brief BMW video interview (see here);
  • May 3, 2020: BMW M boss Markus Flasch promotes the M2 CS yet another time in an interview: "current favorite M car" - "probably next company car" (see here).
Videos showing the M2 CS 'in motion' (AFAIK):
  • Summer 2019 Auto Sport Hockenheim hot lap (see here);
  • November 2019 official launch video (see here);
  • November 2019 M2 CS + M2 CS Racing official launch video (see here);
  • November 2019 L.A. presentation (see here).
Despite all press materials, previews, presentations, 'static display' walkaround videos and promo talk by BMW M boss Markus Flasch, still no sign surfaced of M2 CS 'in motion' reviews and videos by car journalists (except for the Auto Sport video). Peculiar is also the fact that BMW M keeps tight-lipped about the official Nürburgring Nordschleife M2 CS lap time (for earlier thoughts about a ± 07:43 guesstimate: see here). More than five months have lapsed since "we are going to disclose something but it is too early".

Why the silence ? Can't blame COVID-19 for everything. The M2 CS specs are well-known and have been discussed at large. Ain't it about time to end the 'static display' poster boy approach ? This car ain't supposed to be(come) a garage queen. Let this F87 M2 flagship show its true colors in its natural habitat: the road, race track and mountain twisties. Let it move and groove, slip and slide, huff and puff.

Car enthusiasts are eager to hear feedback from dedicated petrolheads such as for example Chris Harris, Jeremy Clarkson, Steve Sutcliffe, Henry Catchpole, Harry Metcalfe, Tiff Needell, Jethro Bovingdon, Matt Watson, Jason Cammisa, Randy Pobst and the like. Stories about driving fun experiences facilitated by the total package, answering questions such as for example:
  • Does the BMW M2 CS live up to its high expectations ?
  • How are the BMW M2 CS driving dynamics compared to those of the BMW M2 Competition or Porsche 718 Cayman GT4 (or Porsche 718 Cayman GTS 4.0) ?
  • As the BMW M2 Competition is generally considered to be worth its salt, does the BMW M2 CS package outperform the BMW M2 Competition package in a way justifying the ± 50% premium ?
"Too Expensive" ?
chris7197273.00
Jarran10.50
      05-10-2020, 01:46 AM   #2
F87EVO
Major
Cyprus
Rep
Drives: BMW F87 M2 CS (6MT)

Garage List
I don't think that it doesnt worth the money , its more powerfull and more dedicated track car , it should have better time than the normal M2s. Maybe its the time that they cannot review the CS in the track , since are closed !?
      05-10-2020, 02:12 AM   #3
Lukeni
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

as a cs buyer i can tell you the corona situation messed up a lot. my car was due at the 2nd week in april. thanks to corona and bmw shutting down their production i am still waiting for the car. i guess because of the closed production plants most of the m2cs are just not produced yet. hence the lack of videos etc
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2020, 02:50 AM   #4
samsamdar
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: OG M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [6.67]
I mean... there is currently a global pandemic occurring...
Appreciate 1
F87EVO4004.00
      05-10-2020, 03:38 AM   #5
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

I guess mostly the conspiracy theory is buried under:-

Can't build press cars
Can't go to race tracks
      05-10-2020, 07:46 AM   #6
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS | 85 of 592

My thoughts are strategic marketing. Build the final hype when all the cars are sold out but orders for the new m3/m4 are either available or around the corner. Not necessarily a bait and switch, but get everyone looking at BMW and then release another set of vehicles on a new platform with stellar specs. Put your money where you can get "more" car for your money. I would say most driver's are buying off paper specs and aren't searching for a specific feel.

Edit for conspiracy theory addition.

There is still some gas in the tank in the CS and BMW is waiting to see exactly where they want to place it in the lap time hierarchy with the competition. The CS doesn't have to be constrained within the model lineup and can be a "look what we can do" model. The Hockenheim lap had issues, and nowhere did they say they were going full tilt or it was the quickest lap possible. They may have just put down a strong lap. It surprised me that the most recent tuned m2c is almost 4s faster on same tires with similar power.

Last edited by medphysdave; 05-10-2020 at 07:57 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2020, 09:25 AM   #7
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by F87 M2CS View Post
Maybe its the time that they cannot review the CS in the track , since are closed !?
There have been several 'Industry Pool' test sessions (car manufacturers including BMW) at the Nürburgring Nordschleife over the past couple of weeks. 'Touristenfahrten' (public access) has also resumed recently (because of COVID-19 it's 'Kontaktlose Touristenfahrten': see here). And of course the Nürburgring isn't the only race track in the world for a test drive.

For the original M2 and M2 Competition, many test reviews (articles and videos) were available before deliveries started. OK, high volume car and no highly disruptive COVID-19 crisis back then. But was really no car journalist offered an M2 CS for a test drive after the Sport Auto test drive in the Summer of 2019 and before the COVID-19 lockdown in March 2020 ?

As BMW M has extensively tested the M2 CS on the Nürburgring Nordschleife, it's unlikely that they still need to time the laptime.
      05-10-2020, 09:33 AM   #8
SeanWRT
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 & F87 M2

It could be the marketing deparment having other focus at time of corona virus, than sending niche cars to magazines.

Don't you see those G80 test mules (exclusive to Bimmerpost) showing up and pushed to front page every two or three weeks, with the sole purpose of getting everyone used to the big grille?
PAC63.00
      05-10-2020, 10:28 AM   #9
///AVM
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3C

Quote:
. . . its more powerfull and more dedicated track car , it should have better time than the normal M2s. . .
Same S55 engine, same torque and a whopping 39 more hp as compared to the M2C . . . hmmm?

Read the following over and over again. . . Same chassis and same weight as M2C . . . hmmm?

Adaptive suspension is a nice feature, but an advantage over M2C suspension on track . . . hmmm? Dedicated M3 and M4 trackers all over this forum are quick to enter the aftermarket suspension line.

Tires are an important factor on the track. . . if we are talking track advantage, I guess the option of Cup 2 tires with M2CS is an advantage. Wonder how many M2CS purchasers will go with the Cup 2 tire option?

Biggest question is how many M2CS purchasers will ever even go to the track? I am making an educated guess in stating probably no more than the population Porsche GT model consumers.

Track reviews are not required. . . for that matter, press releases are not required. BMW has done nothing with the M2CS to revolutionize the 2-series chassis, let alone the M2C.

///AVM
Appreciate 3
PLF693762.50
tranck499.00
      05-10-2020, 11:05 AM   #10
F87EVO
Major
Cyprus
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///AVM View Post
Quote:
. . . its more powerfull and more dedicated track car , it should have better time than the normal M2s. . .
Same S55 engine, same torque and a whopping 39 more hp as compared to the M2C . . . hmmm?

Read the following over and over again. . . Same chassis and same weight as M2C . . . hmmm?

Adaptive suspension is a nice feature, but an advantage over M2C suspension on track . . . hmmm? Dedicated M3 and M4 trackers all over this forum are quick to enter the aftermarket suspension line.

Tires are an important factor on the track. . . if we are talking track advantage, I guess the option of Cup 2 tires with M2CS is an advantage. Wonder how many M2CS purchasers will go with the Cup 2 tire option?

Biggest question is how many M2CS purchasers will ever even go to the track? I am making an educated guess in stating probably no more than the population Porsche GT model consumers.

Track reviews are not required. . . for that matter, press releases are not required. BMW has done nothing with the M2CS to revolutionize the 2-series chassis, let alone the M2C.

///AVM
Isnt it the same way the M3/4 CS was produced ? Cant really understand all that hate ! Its seems like you see the CS just like a M2Competition but with CS badge instead and some m performance goodies !
      05-10-2020, 11:26 AM   #11
PLF69
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3

Like I said before, is the CS a better M2 ? Yes

Is it worth the premium ? Only the buyer can tell for himself.

Would own one ? Yes
Would I buy one ? No
Daily/Family: 2021 Atlas Cross Sport 3.6
Appreciate 1
jkoral1016.00
      05-10-2020, 11:42 AM   #12
///AVM
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
. . . Cant really understand all that hate ! Its seems like you see the CS just like a M2Competition but with CS badge . . .
Hate?

That is a strong and completely inaccurate description of my comments.

The reason I make it sound like the M2CS is just an M2C with CS badge is, well, because that is what the M2CS is when it comes performance. It HAS to be, as it has the exact same engine on the exact same chassis and comes in at about the exact same weight.

In addition to performance considerations – or track dedication, which is the focus of this thread - the M2CS remains nothing more than the M2C with some wardrobe accessories.

How could I 'hate' the M2CS? I dig the hell out of the M2C! Your use of the word hate is likely born out of the fact that I do not share your love for the M2CS over the M2C.

Track times, press reviews, BMW marketing and limited release . . . none of it is going to have the M2CS add up to anything significant over the M2C . . . except in the price column.

///AVM

Last edited by ///AVM; 05-10-2020 at 12:58 PM..
Appreciate 1
      05-10-2020, 11:43 AM   #13
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

///AVM
Isnt it the same way the M3/4 CS was produced ? Cant really understand all that hate ! Its seems like you see the CS just like a M2Competition but with CS badge instead and some m performance goodies !
If you want the best M2 money can buy, then why not. As the rapper say; "It ain't tricking if you got it."

Regardless, I would get one just based on the sheer looks. I don't know how it drives but I know my car doesn't look anything as boisterous as a CS and I get a ton of compliments.

I could only imagine the reaction of this one, the ladies would be throwing their panties at my carbon fiber roof or at least that's the way I envisioned it, in my dreams..
Appreciate 3
DanG10444.00
F87EVO4004.00
      05-10-2020, 11:54 AM   #14
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
If you want the best M2 money can buy, then why not. As the rapper say; "It ain't tricking if you got it."

Regardless, I would get one just based on the sheer looks. I don't know how it drives but I know my car doesn't look anything as boisterous as a CS and I get a ton of compliments.

I could only imagine the reaction of this one, the ladies would be throwing their panties at my carbon fiber roof or at least that's the why I envision it, in my dreams..
Hmm. Your M2 is almost out of warranty. You need an M2CS.
Appreciate 2
F87EVO4004.00
Poochie9099.00
      05-10-2020, 12:00 PM   #15
///AVM
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Regardless, I would get one just based on the sheer looks. I don't now how it drives but I know my car doesn't look anything as boisterous as a CS and I get a ton of compliments.
Poochie

I understand your statement, and absolutely cannot argue anyone else's aesthetic preferences . . . although I do beg and plead against those gold wheels

Most exchanges in this thread, however, are related to claims that the M2CS will be more track focused and offer superior performance over the M2C. . . just NOPE!

It really does not matter to me at all if someone wants to purchase an M2CS. Just do not try to convince me you are making the right decision based on incorrect claims . . . that was generic 'you.'

Dave, you are pretty damn good about saying, 'I just want one.' That is all it takes and all that matters. I cannot wait until you own one.

///AVM
Appreciate 1
Poochie9099.00
      05-10-2020, 12:01 PM   #16
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanG View Post
Quote:

I could only imagine the reaction of this one, the ladies would be throwing their panties at my carbon fiber roof or at least that's the why I envision it, in my dreams..
Hmm. Your M2 is almost out of warranty. You need an M2CS.
Nah, I'm good.. With everything that's going on in the world, I want to be debt free, for the Armageddon.

Not to go off topic but I have Geico Mechanical Breakdown insurance for 7 years/ 100k miles, which covers flash tuned vehicles and "user error" i.e. money shifts.

To my fellow members with Geico auto insurance, I recommend this add-on, as it's worth every penny.

https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=23193151

https://www.geico.com/claims/claimsp...akdown-claims/
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2020, 12:21 PM   #17
///AVM
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Not to go off topic but I have Geico Mechanical Breakdown insurance for 7 years/ 100k miles, which covers flash tuned vehicles and "user error" i.e. money shifts.
Poochie

I can offer you even more peace of mind. . . get a DCT and engage manual mode. In that way you can both power shift and never have to worry about the possibility of a money shift.

///AVM
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2020, 12:40 PM   #18
Hegge
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M2 CS

Quote:
Hate?

That is a strong and completely inaccurate description of my comments.

The reason I make sound like the M2CS is just an M2C with CS badge is, well, because that is what the M2CS it is when it comes performance. It HAS to be, as it has the exact same engine on the exact same chassis and comes in at about the exact same weight.

In addition to performance considerations – or track dedication, which is the focus of this thread - the M2CS remains nothing more than the M2C with some wardrobe accessories.

How could I ‘hate’ the M2CS? I dig the hell out of the M2C! Your use of the word hate is likely born out of the fact that I do not share your love for the M2CS over the M2C.

Track times, press reviews, BMW marketing and limited release . . . none of it is going to have the M2CS add up to anything significant over the M2C . . . except in the price column.

///AVM
///AVM appears to be right as the base of the CS is the M2 Competition with the carbon fiber bits and adaptive suspension. Weight is rumored to be about the same due to inclusion of adaptive suspension.

I'm probably not getting an allocation as I'm not willing to pay dealer markup as I'll let someone else with bigger pockets pay dealer markup. It's going to be a fun car, but I'm not in a financial position to overpay over MSRP.

However I do think the CS will drive somewhat differently than the Competition because of the testimony that the M3 and M4 CS have different dynamics than their Competition versions.

Lastly the first official rumor of the M2 CS was October 2018 so 17 months. Hopefully driving reviews come soon as there is not much new to talk about.
Appreciate 2
///AVM2528.00
RPM33598.00
      05-10-2020, 01:08 PM   #19
Poochie
United_States
Rep

You guys are right but by that logic, the original M2 is nothing more than an improved M235i, the M2 Competition is just an revised M2, the CS is just a hotted-up Competition and so on and so on.. I think you get my drift..

The value is only relative to what you're willing to spend.. I like it and if I had money to burn, I would be first in line to get me one and have no qualms about the sticker price, in comparison to its lineage..

Looks are only sink deep:
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
///AVM2528.00
F87EVO4004.00
      05-10-2020, 01:27 PM   #20
///AVM
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You guys are right but by that logic, the original M2 is nothing more than an improved M235i, the M2 Competition is just an revised M2, the CS is just a hotted-up Competition and so on and so on.. I think you get my drift..

The value is only relative to what you're willing to spend.. I like it and if I had money to burn, I would be first in line to get me one and have no qualms about the sticker price, in comparison to its lineage..

Poochie

The CS is touted as top of the line 2-series PERFORMANCE so, yes, objective views are performance-based.

Aesthetics are not the point of the M2CS and, of course, are completely subjective. Still, the entire point of carbon fiber bits is supposed to be 'lighter,' although it has clearly become a topic of aesthetics. . . and all the carbon fiber lipstick on the CS has lended itself to zero weight reduction. Wardrobe changes lend themselves to zero performance gain when it comes to the M2CS. Speaking of which, back to performance . . .

One important thing I think you are overlooking with the 2-series lineage is that the M2C took on ///M car legend status because of primarily one thing: insertion of the S55 engine. Neither BMW or the consumer ever saw it coming.

///AVM

Last edited by ///AVM; 05-10-2020 at 02:33 PM..
Appreciate 2
PLF693762.50
MDuckie93.00
      05-10-2020, 01:52 PM   #21
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS | 85 of 592

There's always going to be the group willing to pay for the top tech, and then the group that's going to wait until it trickles down to other models or becomes available in the aftermarket. BMW was clear that the tweaks to the front splitter and rear lip improved downforce. I have no reason to doubt. Parts are now available to order and can be added to the C. It should add the same benefit as what the CS experiences. Someone had to pay for the development. No different than those that drive an S class or E class. The tech trickles down. Granted, the sclass is usually out for a few years before trickling down to E class. Whereas the CS isn't even out yet lol.

I'm generally in the trickle down camp, but CS is a package that I want.

Yes A C can be modded. Recent article showed what $20k can do for a C and it was really impressive. $75k for a modded C that outperforms $85k CS. Value 5yrs down the road for both will be interesting.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2020, 02:25 PM   #22
F87EVO
Major
Cyprus
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

I understand what you say. But its the same recipe like the M3/4 CS , they are a better variant with the limited factor of the competition model. I wouldnt expect anything more from BMW on the M2CS except a bit of more weight savings . But you cant say that the M2CS is a M2 comp with added carbon and power upgrade. The limited factor alone , for me at least is a good deal. Why the 1M still is a good car nowadays and holds its value? If it was that logic is a souped 135 with wider tracks etc. What gave it specialness is the way it looks , and the limited factor. Anyone can say by this logic that the M2 Comp or M2CS is a mini M4. But it isnt ! I think what confuses people is that the price of the M2 Competition is really REALLY good for what you get ! IF the OG M2 existed today , the Competition model would probably be more expensive than it is - but since its gone , the Competition now its the entry level M car and thats why its priced as it is. Why would BMW give another engine , or chassis upgrades on the M2CS ? I think it deserves the CS badge . I also find it more special than the other CS models just because of the manual box - if it wasnt there i would move to a Cayman GT4 RS when its available . But i didnt even think about it since i would like to have the best M2 variant of the first Generation. In a few years , we would be looking back on the M2 special editions from all generations and it would be similar to this one -
Attached Images