BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip > Microphone Position for recording exhaust

07-27-2020, 06:33 PM   #1
detroitm2
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Microphone Position for recording exhaust

Does anyone have experience with this?

I'm planning on micing my exhaust at my next track event. Setup will include a purple panda lav mic, connected to a gopro hero 7. I did a test recording by clipping the lav to the back of my diffuser right near the exhaust can. It sounds great, but seems to clip a bit when I get on it with the valves open on my MPE.

My next trial will be clipping the mic to my license plate.

I also have some higher quality mics (Rode NT5) I could probably put in the trunk if I wanted, has anyone tried this?

EDIT: Heres a short video I put together. I opened the valves getting on the service drive at about 1:30 in the video.

Last edited by detroitm2; 07-27-2020 at 06:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2020, 07:33 PM   #2
j0oftheworld
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 01 S2k, 20 M2C

I've got a cheap Sony stereo lapel mic with a fuzzy wind sock on my s2k. I just zip tie it to the license plate light wiring prior to track day.
Regardless where it's mounted the fuzzy is key.
I can share some links when I'm at home if interested. I've got a 12ft audio extension cable so I'd like to also run it near the engine for a different sound. 👍

Appreciate 0
      07-27-2020, 07:42 PM   #3
detroitm2
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by j0oftheworld View Post
I've got a cheap Sony stereo lapel mic with a fuzzy wind sock on my s2k. I just zip tie it to the license plate light wiring prior to track day.
Regardless where it's mounted the fuzzy is key.
I can share some links when I'm at home if interested. I've got a 12ft audio extension cable so I'd like to also run it near the engine for a different sound.

Thanks for the tips. I did have a wind sock on the purple panda in the video above. Wind noise seems minimal, but there's noticeable clipping without even really getting on it hard.

May try moving it up to the license plate tomorrow and see how it does.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2020, 07:46 PM   #4
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 Mineral Grey M2

A different mic isn't going to help. You need a recorder than can lower the input volume level. A GoPros only audio settings do 0db or +20db, which isn't what you want. Some cameras let you do -db though, but not gopro.

I used my Zoom H5 recorder. I think I had the mic taped to the center of the bumper at the same height as the tow hook cover.
I guess to go into more detail I had my zoom h5, a mic splitter cable, and two audiotechnic lapel mics. I think the mic model is ATR3350. The mic splitter cable splits the left and right channels, so you can use two mics with them in a single audio file. So my exhaust was on the left channel and my engine sounds on the right channel. In premiere pro, I separated that into two and doubled them for left and right... What I mean is I took the left channel (intake) and doubled it to the right channel, so both channels are intake. Then took the right channel (exhaust) and doubled it so both channels are exhaust.

With separate audio sources, I can mix them as I see fit in premiere. Just time sync the good audio files with the junk audio your gopro records.

Last edited by Anthony1s; 07-27-2020 at 07:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2020, 07:59 PM   #5
detroitm2
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1s View Post
A different mic isn't going to help. You need a recorder than can lower the input volume level. A GoPros only audio settings do +20db, which isn't what you want. I used my Zoom H5 recorder. I think I had the mic taped to the center of the bumper at the same height as the tow hook cover.

I guess to go into more detail I had my zoom h5, a mic splitter cable, and two audiotechnic lapel mics. I think the mic model is ATR3350. The mic splitter cable splits the left and right channels, so you can use two mics with them in a single audio file. So my exhaust was on the left channel and my engine sounds on the right channel. In premiere pro, I separated that into two and doubled them for left and right... What I mean is I took the left channel (intake) and doubled it to the right channel, so both channels are intake. Then took the right channel (exhaust) and doubled it so both channels are exhaust.

With separate audio sources, I can mix them as I see fit in premiere.

I'd rather not do any software mixing after the fact. If I need to attenuate the signal I can build a simple one to put in line. Or drop a small portable mixer in line.

The NT5 actually has an attenuator built into it (-5db iirc), but I'd rather not strap that to the back of my car. That would be more for the trunk.

Thanks for the tips!
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2020, 08:01 PM   #6
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 Mineral Grey M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitm2 View Post
I'd rather not do any software mixing after the fact. If I need to attenuate the signal I can build a simple one to put in line. Or drop a small portable mixer in line.

The NT5 actually has an attenuator built into it (-5db iirc), but I'd rather not strap that to the back of my car. That would be kmmore for the trunk.

Thanks for the tips!
I can use the line out on my h5 to record straight into the camera. So you can do that with your gopro. No mixing needed then. Actually, the only reason I was mixing is because I had three audio sources in that video. If I just had exhaust (which is what you want), I wouldn't mix like I did in that video.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2020, 08:02 PM   #7
detroitm2
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1s View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitm2 View Post

The NT5 actually has an attenuator built into it (-5db iirc), but I'd rather not strap that to the back of my car. That would be kmmore for the trunk.

Thanks for the tips!
I can use the line out on my h5 to record straight into the camera. So you can do that with your gopro. No mixing needed then.
Ah, good call. I do have an H5 sitting around somewhere.

That also saves the trouble of finding adapters for XLR to 3.5mm as well
Appreciate 0