BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip > Track Forum General Chit Chat

02-04-2020, 09:36 PM   #1
OG Shark
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: Angry

Track Forum General Chit Chat

The M3 forums each have an ongoing thread about anything track related. Figure there are enough of us track rats here on the M2 side that we could use a thread like that for any random questions, observations, etc.

Been seeing quite a few M2s on the track lately - awesome watching them get put to good use.

I'm an OG '18 guy - but I make up for my S55 envy with sticky tires & a willingness to experiment (i.e. big(ger) turbo & somewhat unconventional intercooler setup among other things). Have a lot of other goodies on the way as well to finish the build, mainly cosmetic this time though.
Appreciate 2
CrashFL136.50
      02-05-2020, 12:33 AM   #2
5.M0NSTER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE

Curious, did you end up going air to water for your IC?
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2020, 07:09 AM   #3
OG Shark
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER View Post
Curious, did you end up going air to water for your IC?
Yes we did - very happy with it. Pretty awesome when you can thrash the car for an extended run on the track and the IC stays cool to the touch. After we got the M2 going we had to quickly turn our attention to the M3 for the race season that just started - sot still needs some refining to get to the consistent level I want. We have been able to put some pretty quick laps in with the boost turned up - but generally it is not happy at these levels. Going to get this resolved when she goes back under the knife here in the next couple of weeks. Also have some aesthetic issues that need addressing as you can see below

Appreciate 4
5.M0NSTER3353.50
ZM22783.50
pal433.00
      02-05-2020, 10:31 AM   #4
5.M0NSTER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Wow, that is a pretty sweet setup. Based on the feedback from tuned and more boosted users seems air to water IC is the way to go. Well done and thanks for sharing!

I知 bone stock under the hood and plan to stay this way. Hope it痴 enough to get me into the 7:5x range Nordschleife BTG lap time this year with continuing driver mod.
Appreciate 2
OG Shark4654.50
CrashFL136.50
      02-05-2020, 03:13 PM   #5
mcvaughan
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by OG Shark View Post
Yes we did - very happy with it. Pretty awesome when you can thrash the car for an extended run on the track and the IC stays cool to the touch. After we got the M2 going we had to quickly turn our attention to the M3 for the race season that just started - sot still needs some refining to get to the consistent level I want. We have been able to put some pretty quick laps in with the boost turned up - but generally it is not happy at these levels. Going to get this resolved when she goes back under the knife here in the next couple of weeks. Also have some aesthetic issues that need addressing as you can see below

Very interesting setup there, Sharky. Didn't want to go the CSF route? I had their race-spec radiator and DCT cooler in my M4 and the temps did not budge during 90+ degree runs at COTA.
Attached Images

Last edited by mcvaughan; 02-05-2020 at 03:24 PM.. Reason: add pic
Appreciate 2
5.M0NSTER3353.50
AmuroRay2165.00
      02-05-2020, 05:20 PM   #6
OG Shark
Rep

Quote:
Wow, that is a pretty sweet setup. Based on the feedback from tuned and more boosted users seems air to water IC is the way to go. Well done and thanks for sharing!

I知 bone stock under the hood and plan to stay this way. Hope it痴 enough to get me into the 7:5x range Nordschleife BTG lap time this year with continuing driver mod.
Nordschleife, freaking awesome. Let us know how it goes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcvaughan View Post
Very interesting setup there, Sharky. Didn't want to go the CSF route? I had their race-spec radiator and DCT cooler in my M4 and the temps did not budge during 90+ degree runs at COTA.
I actually did go the full do88 route before the IC swap. My poor N55 still couldn't handle the heat though. Would already be pulling major timing by the end of the out lap in June at COTA. So drastic measures were called for

In retrospect should probably have driven a couple of extra miles to Lowes for a blue strap to match the interior - but it was late and Home Depot was closer
Appreciate 4
mcvaughan702.00
Kankles1484.50
CrashFL136.50
      02-05-2020, 08:01 PM   #7
M2C AW
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C Alpine White

Hey OG glad you started a track focused chit chat thread.
I知 having a ton of fun at the local Texas tracks (MSR-H, MSR-C, ECR, COTA) with my 17 w/ DCT.
It痴 a drive-er, so keeping it sane for now.
I tracked in Texas heat all last summer, and didn稚 experience any heat related issues..but I don稚 push to hard. I do have a Evo 2 IC, WMI, Akra down pipe, and BM3 tune.
Car has been stone cold reliable (knock on wood) and a hoot to wheel around. I知 sure that we値l be seeing more and more of the M2 on track as time goes by.
Attached Images

Last edited by M2C AW; 02-05-2020 at 08:15 PM..
Appreciate 4
5.M0NSTER3353.50
OG Shark4654.50
AmuroRay2165.00
      02-05-2020, 08:41 PM   #8
243Racing
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2

Swift springs installed today on my OG M2. Loving it so far. Can’t wait for track season to start back up!

Last edited by 243Racing; 03-04-2020 at 06:28 AM..
Appreciate 3
OG Shark4654.50
yoboi76.50
AmuroRay2165.00
      02-05-2020, 09:45 PM   #9
OG Shark
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2MGM View Post
I知 having a ton of fun at the local Texas tracks (MSR-H, MSR-C, ECR, COTA) with my 17 w/ DCT.
It痴 a drive-er, so keeping it sane for now.
I tracked in Texas heat all last summer, and didn稚 experience any heat related issues..but I don稚 push to hard. I do have a Evo 2 IC, WMI, Akra down pipe, and BM3 tune.
Car has been stone cold reliable (knock on wood) and a hoot to wheel around. I知 sure that we値l be seeing more and more of the M2 on track as time goes by.
Hey M2MGM - hope all is well! Were you at at cota with chin this weekend? I was just there Saturday does some testing with the M3 - think I saw you flying around the track though. This was me:

Was awesome seeing a few M2s out there this weekend - especially a few I hadn稚 seen before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeastieBombRacing View Post
Swift springs installed today on my OG M2. Loving it so far. Can稚 wait for track season to start back up! Got in on the Apex group buy - wish it wasn稚 so hard to fit big fat tires under the front fenders.
Yeah not the easiest platform to get tires/wheels figured out for. Max I have been able to get is 275 Hoosier R7s in the front. What tire & wheel combo are you going with? When does track season start back up for you?
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2020, 09:57 PM   #10
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

Quote:
Swift springs installed today on my OG M2. Loving it so far. Can’t wait for track season to start back up! Got in on the Apex group buy - wish it wasn’t so hard to fit big fat tires under the front fenders.
Hey Gents.

It is hard finding the perfect fitment upfront. I noticed the M2 CS Racing is using an 18x10.5” square setup, which is interesting. I posted the short version of my wheel/tire journey below in a diff thread:

My first 18” set was the cheapo Tirerack set. They warped on me after 10 track days. I like to think it was bc I was driving so fast.

My second 18” set was Apex EC-7 18x9.5” ET35 and I’d run 265s all around. Worked well.

I wanted more rear grip, so I tried 19x9.5/10.5 ET33/45 and ran 265/295-305. Massive rear grip coming off the corners.

Now I want more front grip/response and different tire choices, so I have a set of forged EC-7 18x10/10.5 ET25/40 coming and will try 265/295 & 275/305.

I’ve tried the 71R, R888R, Trofeo R, R7s, and Falkens and they all have pros/cons, but I don’t really want to go back to any of them. So, will try the A052 as my fast tire and NT01 as my budget tire, or some Pirelli and Michelin take off slicks for fun.
Appreciate 1
Kankles1484.50
      02-05-2020, 09:58 PM   #11
Malakas
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2c

Quote:
Hey M2MGM - hope all is well! Were you at at cota with chin this weekend? I was just there Saturday does some testing with the M3 - think I saw you flying around the track though. This was me:

Was awesome seeing a few M2s out there this weekend - especially a few I hadn稚 seen before.

Yeah not the easiest platform to get tires/wheels figured out for. Max I have been able to get is 275 Hoosier R7s in the front. What tire & wheel combo are you going with? When does track season start back up for you?
Love that racecar!

You got 275 R7s on the front of your M2??
Appreciate 1
OG Shark4654.50
      02-05-2020, 10:06 PM   #12
243Racing
Banned
Rep

Quote:

March or April, depends on when Apex actually ships the wheels.

Right now what I have ordered is an 18x9 / 18x10 set and I plan to start with 255 & 275 R888Rs. Time trials is a different beast due to tread wear and width restrictions as well as available contingencies.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2020, 10:14 PM   #13
CrashFL
M2 Pilot
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2MGM View Post
I’m having a ton of fun at the local Texas tracks (MSR-H, MSR-C, ECR, COTA) with my 17 w/ DCT.
Hey, just moved to SA, and I'm planning to hit ECR, MSR-H and COTA this year in my '17. Looking for recommendations for a performance shop, preferably in San Antonio..... Austin if absolutely necessary.

Thanks!!
OG Shark4654.50
      02-06-2020, 05:01 AM   #14
5.M0NSTER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Still winter here in Deutschland, but I already registered for 2 days at the 'Ring late April and early May. Will also do 1 day in July and one more in September. Here are a few photos from last season while I can do nothing but wait
Attached Images

2018 Camaro SS 1LE. Because race car!

"Redline a day keeps the mechanics away"
Appreciate 8
ZM22783.50
OG Shark4654.50
mcvaughan702.00
CrashFL136.50
AmuroRay2165.00
pal433.00
AWC-F87436.50
neonbrown274.50
      02-06-2020, 06:18 AM   #15
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Still winter here in Deutschland, but I already registered for 2 days at the 'Ring late April and early May. Will also do 1 day in July and one more in September. Here are a few photos from last season while I can do nothing but wait
Do you have a sim setup that you can practice on? I found that to be a huge help before my two days on the Ring, and in between other track visits.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2020, 06:20 AM   #16
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:

Still waiting for you to fab some kits up for us fellow racers to purchase!
Appreciate 1
OG Shark4654.50
      02-06-2020, 07:34 AM   #17
OG Shark
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malakas View Post
Love that racecar!

You got 275 R7s on the front of your M2??
Yeah 275/35/18 on 18 x 9.5 ET28 - but with a 7mm spacer to clear the spring perch from the Ohlins R&T. Really tight but does clear. 295/30/18 on 18 x 10.5 ET40 for the rear. No DSC with this setup - the F to R diameter messes with it pretty considerably. Not the perfect world setup for tire:wheel - but I have found it to work really well on the track. Eyeballing the yoko A052's in 265/295 to try as my durability set. Then move to Pirelli DH in 285/305 as the get stupid set.

Taking the racecar back up to Austin tonight for the SCCA races this weekend - hopefully we have the fueling issues figured out!

Quote:
March or April, depends on when Apex actually ships the wheels.

Right now what I have ordered is an 18x9 / 18x10 set and I plan to start with 255 & 275 R888Rs. Time trials is a different beast due to tread wear and width restrictions as well as available contingencies.
Only a month or two away - not too bad. What organization/class will you be running in?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrashFL View Post
Hey, just moved to SA, and I'm planning to hit ECR, MSR-H and COTA this year in my '17. Looking for recommendations for a performance shop, preferably in San Antonio..... Austin if absolutely necessary.

Thanks!!
Welcome to SA Crash! Might add MSR Cresson to that list - about the same distance for us as MSR Houston and in my opinion a more enjoyable track. Harris Hill is supposed to get a large percentage of the track repaved in April which would be a game changer out there. It's a pretty fun layout but has gotten so rough that I will not be going back until it is fixed.

PM inbound on shops...

Quote:
Awesome pics, worth the wait! Nice little summer you have planned there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZM2 View Post
Still waiting for you to fab some kits up for us fellow racers to purchase!
I shouldn't do this - but I will divulge one of our top trade secrets... those ratchet straps are actually pretty easy to find anywhere - and in different colors if you really want to get crazy with it

The piping & brace for the intercooler are my priorities for April & May while my M3 is shutdown those couple of months. Wish me luck...
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2020, 09:41 AM   #18
5.M0NSTER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Do you have a sim setup that you can practice on? I found that to be a huge help before my two days on the Ring, and in between other track visits.
Hey ZM, long time no talk, hope you're doing well! Great idea, and when I get back to the States I will get this done for sure. In Germany I'm renting a house and don't have the room or console (and event the TV is not mine). I have used Real Racing 3 sim on my phone to learn Hockenheimring as well as Spa Francorchamps with good success. I definitely want to use this option, but I am not aware of a mobile device sim which also has NOS track. Real Racing 3 had the Nurburgring GP track, nut not Nordschleife. Are you aware of one that does?

Quote:

I shouldn't do this - but I will divulge one of our top trade secrets... those ratchet straps are actually pretty easy to find anywhere - and in different colors if you really want to get crazy with it
thanks, let's just hope I get good enough to put down a good enough lap time to meet my life goal WITHOUT becoming youtube famous

Also as for the strap, I was gonna say. That's a sweet looking strut tower brace
2018 Camaro SS 1LE. Because race car!

"Redline a day keeps the mechanics away"
Appreciate 2
OG Shark4654.50
ZM22783.50
      02-06-2020, 03:56 PM   #19
OG Shark
Rep

Quote:
Hey ZM, long time no talk, hope you're doing well! Great idea, and when I get back to the States I will get this done for sure. In Germany I'm renting a house and don't have the room or console (and event the TV is not mine). I have used Real Racing 3 sim on my phone to learn Hockenheimring as well as Spa Francorchamps with good success. I definitely want to use this option, but I am not aware of a mobile device sim which also has NOS track. Real Racing 3 had the Nurburgring GP track, nut not Nordschleife. Are you aware of one that does?

thanks, let's just hope I get good enough to put down a good enough lap time to meet my life goal WITHOUT becoming youtube famous

Also as for the strap, I was gonna say. That's a sweet looking strut tower brace
Eh, someone new is youtube famous everyday - no one will remember long. Now being able to say sub 8:00 at Nordschleife - now that lives on forever. I say full send.

I had someone come check out the car when we were running at COTA - he saw the strap and (understandably) gave me a weird look. He asked what the strap was for, so I told him it was holding the fenders together. His eyes popped out of his head - I almost let him walk away like that but then decided I didn't want to have to explain it to tech...
Appreciate 2
CrashFL136.50
5.M0NSTER3353.50
      02-06-2020, 04:16 PM   #20
243Racing
Banned
Rep

Soo what shifter is everybody running? I知 deep in discussion with Auto Solutions at the moment
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2020, 04:20 PM   #21
243Racing
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Only a month or two away - not too bad. What organization/class will you be running in?
I知 currently signed up in NASA TT4 but we値l see how that shakes out as we get closer to the season.

I looked into SCCA time trials but their classing is so ridiculous, I知 not going to go compete against Cayman GT4s and GT350Rs on Hoosiers
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2020, 08:34 PM   #22
Daytona_550
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 M2C / '08 550i / '23 330i

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Try this:

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/assolu...g/id1055375459
Appreciate 1
5.M0NSTER3353.50