BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > M2 Photos, Videos and Builds > How lucky (or unlucky) am I?! (I THINK I GOT SUPER LUCKY!!)

02-12-2021, 02:31 PM   #1
MASHCT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2 MG

How lucky (or unlucky) am I?! (I THINK I GOT SUPER LUCKY!!)

3/16 update:

Found the prior owner - great guy, provided tons of info for me. He got the Bootmod3 with Cary Jordan custom tune. Wicked!!

I think I am a little excited... but also a little wary. Need some feedback on how I should be feeling about all of this. And I know the value of the mods the prior owner did to this car.

I bought a used 2017 M2 from Louisville KY (via BMW dealer). I think the prior owner traded it in. 39,900 miles. Really only had pics to look at; the dealer sent me all of the shop records. No accidents. 6sp MT. Snagged it before it could get away. Mineral Grey... it's really nice.

Car is IMMACULATE. No curb rash even. Xpel protection film on entire front bumper, 1/3rd of the hood, the leading edge of the roof, the rockers.

Not even a single swirly in the paint. Unreal. Michelin PS4 all seasons. (So I've been driving it in the snow!)

MP Exhaust with titanium tips. New M2 style mirrors with sequential turn singnals. PSM CF spoiler (I don't like that... replacing it - but it's VERY nice.

And I JUST found out...
  • Wagner sport cat DP
  • Wagner black FMIC
  • FTP charge and boost pipes

I am wondering if the ECU has been flashed (stage 2 tune?) or perhaps the prior owner had stage 2 dinan piggyback that may have been removed. (There isn't anything attached to the car now.)

I am not concerned if the car is tuned - hell, that's even more money the dude saved me! And strengthens my feelings I got one hell of a car & bargain.

Never been in an M2 so nothing to compare to my car to know if the performance is stock. I do know - I grin ear to ear every time I drive it. It's loud, beautiful exhaust note (a bit drone-y at hwy cruise speeds) & the burbles/pops make me laugh out loud.

LOVE this thing.

Waddaya think - should I be excited?!
2017 M2 | MGM | 6SPD Std | RWD | MP Exhaust | CSF FMIC | Active Autowerke DP w/ HF CAT | FTP Charge & Boost Pipes | Fortune Auto series 500 7k/14k coilovers | CDT Audio ES Gold Fronts & HD series Rear | Richland Forged Project Nurburg RF-GT4 Wheels | AudioControl LC-6.1200 | JL Audio TWK 88 | CF Goodies

Last edited by MASHCT; 03-16-2021 at 05:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2021, 02:37 PM   #2
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
How lucky or unlucky you are is obviously yet to be determined.

Let's hope you're lucky.
Appreciate 7
MASHCT540.50
swampfox941186.50
bmxcamel528.50
P111541.50
      02-14-2021, 05:16 PM   #3
ptgltw
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M's

If you paid $70,000 you aren't so lucky. Price is a big factor here

I would recommend removing the partial hood and laying down a full hood PPF coverage. Partial PPF coverage on a panel can lead to 2 different colored panels down the road.

Congrats on the purchase. I wouldn't mind owning and modifying an OG m2
MASHCT540.50
      02-14-2021, 06:41 PM   #4
MASHCT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptgltw View Post

I would recommend removing the partial hood and laying down a full hood PPF coverage. Partial PPF coverage on a panel can lead to 2 different colored panels down the road.

I paid just under 40K, 39K miles on the car. I'm with you on the partial PPF too. I can't STAND the line - it's worse in appearance than a chip or a scratch. I got lines on my hood, fenders & roof. With all of those mods, low miles, condition of the interior and exterior, and based on other prices I saw for manual M2s... methinks I got a great deal. I didn't even have to beat down the dealer. They shipped right to me, too - dude showed up outside my house & unloaded the car. My neighbor (how has a vert red 911) was impressed. heh heh

I am thinking of doing a black wrap on the roof - read a post in here about a really black PPF (Lumarr or something like that?). Looks awesome, like glass.

I may take out the Wagner DP & replace with OEM. I am not really liking how loud the car is, or the drone. If the local speed shop thinks a resonator will help with the drone, maybe I'll just do that. I dunno yet..

EDIT: oh, and if this thing already has a tune on it?!?!

One thing I notice - and I have nothing to compare this to - when I am just driving, ECO mode, not on the throttle except to maintain speed, when I switch to Sport+ there is a BIG difference. THe car launches - big push. My M235 did NOT do that. Slight change in throttle response by not like this. 2 guys that drove the car swore there's a tune & both commented on this "push" you get going into Sport+.

Is that typical in the M2/N55? If I was to compare to M235... that was noticeable. The M2 - it's NOTICEABLE. LOL
2017 M2 | MGM | 6SPD Std | RWD | MP Exhaust | CSF FMIC | Active Autowerke DP w/ HF CAT | FTP Charge & Boost Pipes | Fortune Auto series 500 7k/14k coilovers | CDT Audio ES Gold Fronts & HD series Rear | Richland Forged Project Nurburg RF-GT4 Wheels | AudioControl LC-6.1200 | JL Audio TWK 88 | CF Goodies
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2021, 06:36 AM   #5
carchrism5
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2, X3 M40i, 911

I'm in CT too and have the AA downpipe on my stock tune still which would probably be a pretty solid comparison and make it pretty clear if the car is tuned or not.

I know the Wagner DP is good but I think eventually it would throw a CEL at some point unless there is a spacer (which would be easy to visually spot). So if you've driven with no CEL and don't see a spacer I'd say good chance it is tuned. Another thing you can do is check the emissions systems using a tool and see if any O2 sensors are turned off. The reason this is really important is because in CT you will not pass emissions which I think is due this year or next for a 2017 car, if the system doesn't set readiness. So in that case you definitely want to know that and if it is tuned you need to find out by whom and how to get the O2 sensor turned on for emissions purposes.
Appreciate 1
MASHCT540.50
      02-16-2021, 08:33 PM   #6
MASHCT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Wow man! Thanks for the reply & info. I got a call into munich motorsports up my way - they're a pretty well known/respected BMW shop. They said they can give it a once-over. I now know to ask them to check emissions if they can do that. If not there is a firestone nearby & I can ask them to do it. I'm thinking I am gonna take out the downpipe & put in an OEM anyway - the drone is murder.

EDIT: oh yeah - no check engine light. And some local buds & me got on the car for an afternoon. Nary a peep out of the thing, except for the awesome exhaust notes. Smooth as glass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carchrism5 View Post
I'm in CT too and have the AA downpipe on my stock tune still which would probably be a pretty solid comparison and make it pretty clear if the car is tuned or not.

I know the Wagner DP is good but I think eventually it would throw a CEL at some point unless there is a spacer (which would be easy to visually spot). So if you've driven with no CEL and don't see a spacer I'd say good chance it is tuned. Another thing you can do is check the emissions systems using a tool and see if any O2 sensors are turned off. The reason this is really important is because in CT you will not pass emissions which I think is due this year or next for a 2017 car, if the system doesn't set readiness. So in that case you definitely want to know that and if it is tuned you need to find out by whom and how to get the O2 sensor turned on for emissions purposes.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2021, 09:39 PM   #7
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
One thing you should do is get rid of ASD. You either need an ASD bypass harness or code it out. ASD is false exhaust sounds through your stereo. It does produce drown in Sport and Sport+.
Appreciate 1
MASHCT540.50
      02-16-2021, 09:59 PM   #8
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

Check the tmap sensor on the charge pipe, if there is a Y-harness it has a piggy back. Then take a look at the down pipe if you can (you can kind of see it from the passenger side engine bay when you look down beside the coolant tank area) see if there is an extra metal thing connected to the o2 sensor that is furtherest back towards the back of the car - that would be an o2 sensor spacer. If not you most likely have a tune or else you would have gotten a check engine light from the high flow cat, unless this particular car is not sensitive to high flow downpipes.

Overall those are some good mods, congrats on the car.
MASHCT540.50
      02-16-2021, 11:07 PM   #9
MASHCT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Thanks, Dan! rior owner already coded out ASD (coded a bunch of other stuff, too - I coded a bunch more). Seems he was pretty much an enthusiast & I know I got some quality parts - esp that MPE exhaust.

One thing I did was push the tips a little out farther past the diffuser/bumper cover. That helped some, but not enough. Not idea, either, I don't really like the look. It's a good temp fix.

If I was to do a resonator - any change you know the length I should go for, or you think OEM cat is the better option?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanG View Post
One thing you should do is get rid of ASD. You either need an ASD bypass harness or code it out. ASD is false exhaust sounds through your stereo. It does produce drown in Sport and Sport+.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2021, 11:15 PM   #10
MASHCT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Thanks, F87!! I was all excited about the MPE & then I found the rest of the mods this past weekend. I figured I had some kind of DP - this car is loud. Doesn't stink though so knew I had a CAT at least.

I have seen where the DP is - I reached down to try & see if I could feel a stamp or logo. That was how I figured out it was the Wagner. I didn't know to check for the things you mentioned below so I'll do that this weekend & report back. My buddy was under the car & he said there were no cuts or mods to the pipe & he could see the sport DP/cat underneath, too.

He thinks I'm weird... he loves the drone. LOL LOL LOL

I did look under the engine cover & under the power tap under the hood (where I installed my active autowerke 8 on my M235) and there was nothing attached, didn't see any other wires, no box anywhere.

Thanks a lot for the advice & what I need to look for.

Any chance you know this -- if the ECU was flashed, can that be put back to stock??

Quote:
Originally Posted by F87source View Post
Check the tmap sensor on the charge pipe, if there is a Y-harness it has a piggy back. Then take a look at the down pipe if you can (you can kind of see it from the passenger side engine bay when you look down beside the coolant tank area) see if there is an extra metal thing connected to the o2 sensor that is furtherest back towards the back of the car - that78 would be an o2 sensor spacer. If not you most likely have a tune or else you would have gotten a check engine light from the high flow cat, unless this particular car is not sensitive to high flow downpipes.

Overall those are some good mods, congrats on the car.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2021, 12:59 AM   #11
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MASHCT View Post
Thanks, F87!! I was all excited about the MPE & then I found the rest of the mods this past weekend. I figured I had some kind of DP - this car is loud. Doesn't stink though so knew I had a CAT at least.

I have seen where the DP is - I reached down to try & see if I could feel a stamp or logo. That was how I figured out it was the Wagner. I didn't know to check for the things you mentioned below so I'll do that this weekend & report back. My buddy was under the car & he said there were no cuts or mods to the pipe & he could see the sport DP/cat underneath, too.

He thinks I'm weird... he loves the drone. LOL LOL LOL

I did look under the engine cover & under the power tap under the hood (where I installed my active autowerke 8 on my M235) and there was nothing attached, didn't see any other wires, no box anywhere.

Thanks a lot for the advice & what I need to look for.

Any chance you know this -- if the ECU was flashed, can that be put back to stock??
If the ecu is flashed there are a couple of ways to flash it back to stock, however it could cause a CEL and overboosting if you have a sport cat:

1) Flash the stock ISTEP via esys or ista - this method requires no tuning software but it will require an appropriate power supply to keep the car charged, this is vital unless you want to brick the ecu.

2) I do not know if bootmod3 has stock maps you can flash, but with MHD it takes a back up and if you do not have the original back up you are kind of screwed. If you can some how get a tuning software and either have the option to flash a stock map or have the stock back up this would be the recommended method. If not and you are stuck then just flash the stock ISTEP.
MASHCT540.50
      02-17-2021, 05:33 AM   #12
carchrism5
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Given the prior owner coded out ASD I'd also be looking at other coding. If you don't use Bimmercode or Bimmerlink it might be something to look into as those programs alone could tell you more about the car than anyone on here and save you a trip to a shop to check things like emissions readiness.

I am betting the car is tuned and if it is you'd really want to find out which tune. With the Wagner DP and FMIC as well as coding done I think there is a chance the prior owner was at some point on this board. Might be a bit of work to attempt to find them but if you do and they are willing to just give you a few pieces of information that could save you a ton of time, give you a better understanding of your car and even save you money down the line.
Appreciate 1
MASHCT540.50
      02-17-2021, 12:03 PM   #13
MASHCT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

You all have been great - thanks for all the tips here!!
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2021, 07:47 PM   #14
MASHCT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

car passed emissions today

Had to get emissions here in CT to register the car. Passed & all systems checked out. Feeling better about this beast!!
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2021, 01:06 PM   #15
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptgltw View Post

Agree here. The line in the middle is worse than rock chips to me. Get a full piece that wraps the edges. So much easier to wash too, no swirls.

I would be shocked if the car wasn't tuned with this bolt ons, but could be flashed back to stock by previous owner or bmw before you bought it.

Even on stock tune big difference in throttle response between comfort and sport+
Appreciate 1
MASHCT540.50
      03-16-2021, 08:02 AM   #16
MASHCT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I found out who the prior owner is (is/was a forum member).

In the connected drive app in the car, where you sign into BMW Connected, I can see his email address. Searched the forum & voila - there he is/was!!

The good news is, I found no sad stories in his posts. His only warranty issue was his amp failed, and REM had to be replaced. He had some coding issues which folks in the forum helped him fix (y'all are awesome).

And he mentioned he tuned it via Bootmod3, so I have my answer on what tune he used (even though I don't know which OTS, my guess is stage 2.)

I did reach out to him through here; I don't plan on contacting him via his email as I thnk that's sort of creepy and rude. If I get any additional info, I'll post.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2021, 05:43 PM   #17
MASHCT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I found the prior owner (his email/user name was in the connecteddriver user history - searched the forums & found him).

He wrote me back & provided me a bunch of info. Turns out the car has bootmod3 - with the Cary Jordan custom tune. So it would seem my friends were not imagining things when they said to me, "dude, this car is tuned." LOL I am thrilled to find this out, too.

He also said he did not do the fuel system upgrade so he only went so far with the CJC tune.

I really appreciate the prior owner responding back & providing all of the info that he did. Super awesome. (And I told him there is no other personal info in the car.)

So... would y'all say I got pretty lucky? Lots of top notch mods & a custom tune to boot. And a car in near-pristine condition.

Quote:
Given the prior owner coded out ASD I'd also be looking at other coding. If you don't use Bimmercode or Bimmerlink it might be something to look into as those programs alone could tell you more about the car than anyone on here and save you a trip to a shop to check things like emissions readiness.

I am betting the car is tuned and if it is you'd really want to find out which tune. With the Wagner DP and FMIC as well as coding done I think there is a chance the prior owner was at some point on this board. Might be a bit of work to attempt to find them but if you do and they are willing to just give you a few pieces of information that could save you a ton of time, give you a better understanding of your car and even save you money down the line.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2021, 05:42 AM   #18
carchrism5
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

That is a lucky find, if you haven't already I'd get the cables and see if you can get the BM3 appropriately set up to your account. Might be worth doing a few logs just to see where the car is at given the custom tune.

Do you have any plans for more upgrades?
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2021, 07:55 AM   #19
MASHCT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
That is a lucky find, if you haven't already I'd get the cables and see if you can get the BM3 appropriately set up to your account. Might be worth doing a few logs just to see where the car is at given the custom tune.

Do you have any plans for more upgrades?
No, as this will be my DD and I need reliability as much as I do fun. The car is no doubt wicked fun right now and as the prior owner described it - a rocket ship. I'm afraid if it's any quicker I lose more hair if I open the windows.

I am actually at an exhaust shop right now though getting a resonator installed (drone must die) and to see if they can get rid of the vibration (actual shaking, not a rattle) too.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2021, 08:12 AM   #20
carchrism5
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MASHCT View Post
No, as this will be my DD and I need reliability as much as I do fun. The car is no doubt wicked fun right now and as the prior owner described it - a rocket ship. I'm afraid if it's any quicker I lose more hair if I open the windows.

I am actually at an exhaust shop right now though getting a resonator installed (drone must die) and to see if they can get rid of the vibration (actual shaking, not a rattle) too.
Yeah, drone now drives me crazy whereas 10 years ago I would just turn the volume up and roll windows down.

With my catted AA DP and stock exhaust it can get decently loud with the valves open, only imagine how loud the MPE would get.

When it warms up hopefully we can meet up, be interested to see how the CJ tune compares to the OTS given we have pretty similar setups.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2021, 11:48 AM   #21
MASHCT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Totally up for it!! I'll send you a PM.

Vibrant resonator installed - even as small as it is, there are limited places to install the resonator, pretty much only one spot. Even then, they had to cut the flanges off the resonator & weld the body to the pipe.

The shop told me it's gotta carbon up inside, so will take a couple hundred miles to realize relief in the drone but actually, there are immediate results.

There is still drone for a very brief moment at 3,000 RPM. But 2700-3000 is quiet so I can now drive at 65-75 drone-free. Right around 80 MPH it starts. I didn't go any faster to see where it cuts out. I definitely notice the drone is more a blip right at 3000 RPM vs a drone that starts around 2700 & goes well beyond about 3500.

Don't ask me how this is happening - I expected the resonator to tone the exhaust note down, but it didn't. It is actually deeper, throatier. The snarl is still there but that raspy sharp crackle is gone. I actually like the sound MUCH better. I hear the exhaust in the car, not the drone.

Quote:
Yeah, drone now drives me crazy whereas 10 years ago I would just turn the volume up and roll windows down.

With my catted AA DP and stock exhaust it can get decently loud with the valves open, only imagine how loud the MPE would get.

When it warms up hopefully we can meet up, be interested to see how the CJ tune compares to the OTS given we have pretty similar setups.
Appreciate 0