BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip > Track Mods for a first timer?

11-03-2016, 08:56 PM   #23
CommitConfirm
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: The Bus

Garage List
FWIW the 'best' 'modification' you can make is to you. For all but the most seasoned racers the slowest part of your car is the driver. Spend the money others would spend on carbon fibre trinkets on driver training, track time & tyres.

As others have already said, practice practice & more practice. The car will tell you what needs to be changed - if anything - and only change one thing at once.

Track pads are a good idea. Your street pads will be shot by the end of the day.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2016, 09:50 PM   #24
Pyrat 2
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Rapidly from A to B

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Si View Post
Went to the track the past weekend with stock PSS. The car was more than capable to have fun. It has a LOT of grip and quite easy to drive. You really have to do something stupid for the car to go off track. As many have stated, the only thing I'd change for me next track day would be pads and fluid. The brakes were fading a little towards the end of a 30 min session. It was a coldwet/ day, so I wasn't going hard on the car. I guess I'll follow the crowd and go with RS29 and Castrol.
Depending on your track experience I think you'll find our after a few more track days that you'll need some upgraded track pads. The stock pads just won't hold up. I overheated mine and destroyed my rotors with uneven pad deposits. Put on some track pads, and new rotors, and problem solved.
      11-04-2016, 03:38 PM   #25
Pparana
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 m235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurpZilla View Post
Appreciate everyones input, this is tremendously helpful!! Looking forward to my first track event @ Sebring.
Usually I would say nothing, Sebring is hard on brakes, fluid and lines should be sufficient. Depends what group, if they give you an instructor, and so on,. Lots to absorb, speed is last on that list.

A lot of instructors are good, most are not. Don't do what your not comfortable with. Many want to drive your car to get a feel, if your a total noob this is not needed as you won't be driving anywhere near the limits, you will just be learning the ropes, ediqute ext. if they are begging to drive, get a new instructor.
Appreciate 1