BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 CS Model > Chris Harris reviews the M2 CS vs his M2 Competition

08-20-2020, 02:38 PM   #133
sdhotwn
Mmmm... Bavarian
Rep
Drives: M2 CS, X5 45e, i3, Cayman S

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///AVM View Post
Dave

You have touched on a common and unfortunate theme. . . it seems the more people spend on their cars, the less they get driven.

Look at the used Porsche GT variants typically showing up in the market. Almost always have less then 5K miles and fine print indicating, ‘vehicle has never been tracked.’ Incomprehensible from where I sit.

On a related note, you may recall I have one such buddy who owns more cars than he has garage space. His new Shelby GT350 sat in my garage for over the past year, save for the occasion I had to wake it up and take it for a quick spin.

On the topic of ‘I just want one’ . . . The sound. The NA engine and its linear pull all the way to red line. What a fucking car . . . still, nothing I have any desire to own.

So, what does my buddy do last week . . . he buys a Shelby GT500. I am out of garage space, so he found a climate-controlled warehouse to house the vehicle. J’Christ, already, drive the damn thing.

///AVM
Lot of agreement with this post!!! From the love of the GT350 sound (but having some desire to own) to drive the damn things!!!

One of my friends was the restorer/owner of the Lemans winning GT40. He vintage raced it for years before selling it about 10 years ago for who knows how many millions. Talk about drive it .
2014 Cayman S
Appreciate 1
///AVM2529.50
      08-20-2020, 03:11 PM   #134
F87EVO
Major
Cyprus
Rep
Drives: BMW F87 M2 CS (6MT)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by medphysdave View Post
Quote:
Dave

I think you would agree this whole CS vs Competition vs Porsche thing has become a tired topic . . . you are just about the only person on this forum who comes out and says, "I just want one." The rest can continue to try and justify their purchase anyway they like.

Moving on, one thing you stated above made me curious. Namely, the 763M wheels 'are a significant cost.' Although I am sure the 763M and 788M wheels can be purchased through several different distributors and cost might vary a bit, I went to one distributor (Alloy Wheels Direct) for direct comparison in cost.

The 763M wheels are $4,195 for a set of four, while the 788M wheels are $4,614 for a set of four. So, actually, the 763M wheels come at a savings, not significant cost . . . at least from BMW's perspective, not the consumers.

///AVM
From the perspective of buying a C and then buying a new set of 763M wheels to "build" a C. Doesn't take into account that you can then sell the 788M wheels.

Yes. This topic is soooooo tired. I want a CS, my ego wants a CS, and I have the means so why not. In a different life scenerio I'd likely buy a pdk GT4. Why, well why not??? Why not an S, or GTS. Same reason for getting a CS. That's the version I would want. At some point I plan to get a 911. Why? Since I was a little kid it was my dream car. I don't really want one any more as a dream, but I still plan to get one. Why, because I can.

Drive what you want. Don't come to a forum to justify your purchases. Come here to gain knowledge and share the passion. It certainly helps to make informed decisions. More importantly everyone needs to be respectful of others. One size doesn't fit all.
Not really the same version or case . The GT4 718 isnt the pinacle of 718 , the GT4 RS will be the top dog there . Even if you get a GT4 you know that theres still a GT4 RS coming , and thats the best variant of all.
///BYU268.50
      08-20-2020, 03:22 PM   #135
F87EVO
Major
Cyprus
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karmic Man View Post
Get the CS and drive the hell out of it. Especially when you see a M2C on the road

No point worrying about depreciation as it will tank when the G87 comes out...low mileage M4CS tanked 50% down here in just 2 years. The one saving grace is those optioned with a 6MT will do much much better in value further down in time. Just look at the used market of Ferrari California, F430, Porsche's 997 GT3s and 991 GT3s.

The E46 CSL was BMW's top dog at the time as it was the fastest stable in the M catalogue and was seen as a pure bred. Now nearly 20 years later the hierarchy has all changed. With the new M3/M4 coming out in a few months, setting lap records on every track early next year, the desirability on the M2CS with be overshadowed and even more so when the G87 comes about.

All in all, the CS is a brilliant car. Own it, drive it and be happy.
I plan to beat the piss out of mine.
Quote:
Quote:
Dave

I think you would agree this whole CS vs Competition vs Porsche thing has become a tired topic . . . you are just about the only person on this forum who comes out and says, "I just want one." The rest can continue to try and justify their purchase anyway they like.

Moving on, one thing you stated above made me curious. Namely, the 763M wheels 'are a significant cost.' Although I am sure the 763M and 788M wheels can be purchased through several different distributors and cost might vary a bit, I went to one distributor (Alloy Wheels Direct) for direct comparison in cost.

The 763M wheels are $4,195 for a set of four, while the 788M wheels are $4,614 for a set of four. So, actually, the 763M wheels come at a savings, not significant cost . . . at least from BMW's perspective, not the consumers.

///AVM
From the perspective of buying a C and then buying a new set of 763M wheels to "build" a C. Doesn't take into account that you can then sell the 788M wheels.

Yes. This topic is soooooo tired. I want a CS, my ego wants a CS, and I have the means so why not. In a different life scenerio I'd likely buy a pdk GT4. Why, well why not??? Why not an S, or GTS. Same reason for getting a CS. That's the version I would want. At some point I plan to get a 911. Why? Since I was a little kid it was my dream car. I don't really want one any more as a dream, but I still plan to get one. Why, because I can.

Drive what you want. Don't come to a forum to justify your purchases. Come here to gain knowledge and share the passion. It certainly helps to make informed decisions. More importantly everyone needs to be respectful of others. One size doesn't fit all.
Exactly what I'm doing for the last 3 weeks. Also I have the need to say, the manual transmission is amazing with this car, the entire car feels so different from my OG M2, it's all about the feeling, interior feels more special more premium, all that simplicity with the alcantara and carbon pieces, those seats, steering wheel, the suspension setup, it's so simple in terms of tech, you only get what you need inside, no fancy lights that change colours, no cameras on the grills for auto stopping the car if you have anyone in front of you, no lane assist, etc. just nice and simple, analogue dials, proper handbrake, by the way the handbrake as well feels different too, as for the transmission, I haven't really tried the previous F87 with manual, but I believe those carbon linings make difference too.

Many times in those CS threads, some people say that CS owners have the need to justify their purschase etc., this is not happening really. I am so excited driving that beast, it feels so different from my OG M2, and couldn't ask for more really. I do not have to justify my purchase, just want to express my feelings and experience with the car.
jmg18663.00
///BYU268.50
      08-20-2020, 08:19 PM   #136
rwemersonrw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition, Acura TSX

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisualEcho View Post
Damn that blue is ugly, it'd put me off buying one altogether.

BMW should have given us a truly special color, and a car that was significantly lighter. As it is the Comp is stealing the CS's Fire. At least they put ugly wheels on the Comp to make at least some gap. 😆
I have to agree. I love the m2 CS and would consider it but that color is not my fav. Reminds me of when Honda made the s2000 CR in that ugly apex blue. Wish they made the CS available in hockenhiem silver. Just my opinion 🤷*♂️
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2020, 08:24 PM   #137
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwemersonrw View Post
I have to agree. I love the m2 CS and would consider it but that color is not my fav. Reminds me of when Honda made the s2000 CR in that ugly apex blue. Wish they made the CS available in hockenhiem silver. Just my opinion 🤷*♂️
OMG that's perfect. Ugliest S2000 ever.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2020, 08:27 PM   #138
rwemersonrw
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisualEcho View Post
Quote:
OMG that's perfect. Ugliest S2000 ever.
🤣🤣🤣 you just made me burst out laughing
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2020, 09:48 PM   #139
Davil
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 CS, 18 Vantage AMR, 00 WRX

Garage List
Quote:
Wish they made the CS available in hockenhiem silver. Just my opinion 🤷*♂️
Oh. There must be a magical genie in Munich

Love the blue. Love the silver.

Visual is a well known teal and brown guy. Nothing wrong with that. I also have no problem with people that wear socks and sandals. Be you.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      08-20-2020, 09:50 PM   #140
rwemersonrw
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davil View Post
Quote:
Wish they made the CS available in hockenhiem silver. Just my opinion 🤷*♂️
Oh. There must be a magical genie in Munich

Love the blue. Love the silver.
Holy cow! I had no idea! 😱
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2020, 03:02 AM   #141
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
M2 CS body colors: Alpine White, Black Sapphire Metallic, Hockenheim Silver Metallic or Misano Blue Metallic.
      08-21-2020, 03:28 AM   #142
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
In a different life scenerio I'd likely buy a pdk GT4. Why, well why not??? Why not an S, or GTS. Same reason for getting a CS. That's the version I would want. At some point I plan to get a 911. Why? Since I was a little kid it was my dream car. I don't really want one any more as a dream, but I still plan to get one. Why, because I can.

08-21-2020, 07:33 AM   #143
M3GymNut
Major
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM33 View Post
$30K over the MSRP would put the CS in 911 Carrera S territory which is a much faster car. Why would people overpay for a CS?
Trust me man I'm with you...just somebody with money to throw away I'm guessing. I hope it's because this individual thinks it's a rare car and the fact very few will be built.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2020, 07:38 AM   #144
sdhotwn
Mmmm... Bavarian
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3GymNut View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM33 View Post
$30K over the MSRP would put the CS in 911 Carrera S territory which is a much faster car. Why would people overpay for a CS?
Trust me man I'm with you...just somebody with money to throw away I'm guessing. I hope it's because this individual thinks it's a rare car and the fact very few will be built.
For the rest of us buying CS's in the states, I hope there are a few of these cases that occur for the next few years. Wishful thinking I know.
2014 Cayman S
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2020, 08:56 AM   #145
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS | 85 of 592

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdhotwn View Post
For the rest of us buying CS's in the states, I hope there are a few of these cases that occur for the next few years. Wishful thinking I know.
I hope so too. Unfortunately I think 400 is too many for an immediate value retention. Some will get wrecked, which will reduce the numbers. Strangely I think the CCB option is going to help with value retention due to the polarizing nature of the desirability of the option. I expect less than 50% take rate for CCB. The CCB cars will be ultra rare, but that means there are less cars without CCB for those that don't want that option. Vehicles seem to retain their value when kept to factory spec. I expect CCB cars that are swapped to steel will not be as valuable. Modified cars will not be as valuable. At some point there are fewer and fewer factory examples and these will be desirable.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2020, 09:25 AM   #146
rwemersonrw
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Quote:
M2 CS body colors: Alpine White, Black Sapphire Metallic, Hockenheim Silver Metallic or Misano Blue Metallic.
I don't know why I can't get any information on purchasing a CS. I have to stop by my local dealer today so I'm going to ask about it. Thanks for letting me know what colors are available
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2020, 09:35 AM   #147
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
I don't know why I can't get any information on purchasing a CS. I have to stop by my local dealer today so I'm going to ask about it. Thanks for letting me know what colors are available
  • dedicated M2 CS thread: see here ("BMW M2 CS (2020): Wallpapers | Specs | Info").
  • dedicated M2 CS in the US thread: see here ("M2 CS USA allocation: anyone ?").
      08-21-2020, 09:41 AM   #148
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20

I'm sensing a wee bit of discontent. It's like buying an M3 and being cut up you didn't get the CS so you try to make yourself feel better by making a video.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2020, 01:23 PM   #149
///AVM
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3C

Quote:
. . . If the CS doesn't happen for some crazy reason with allocations, I'm genuinely not sure what I'll do. Lotus, Alfa, GT350, 991 Carrera S... Dunno.
SDH

I dunno what you would want either? . . .

What I can tell you is the F82 M4 still makes my head turn every time I see one . . . which, in my neck of the woods, is almost never. Rare species.

I just wanted an M2C. Zero regrets. Love it!

However, one reason it took me so long to pull trigger was because the F82 was constantly trying to pull me in. If the M2C were not available and I was driven to own a BMW, absolutely no question I would own an F82.

For whatever reason, this new Heritage edition continues to just sit unclaimed at a dealership near me. It is a sight to behold in person, and its performance requires no introduction. I believe these were limited in production to 750 units worldwide and come in at about same price as M2 CS (ASKING $86,795).

I know what I would want . .

///AVM

Edit: I do not care about 'limited edition' and all that other bullshit, so a non-factor in my pointing the above F82 out as what 'I would want.' For those that do care, well, there you go . . . a sweet-ass, even more limited edition (than the CS), higher ranking official in the BMW lineup. Same model year and approximately same price as the M2CS.

https://www.erhardbmw.com/new-Bloomf...4Y9C07LFJ77682

Last edited by ///AVM; 08-21-2020 at 01:58 PM..
Appreciate 1
      08-21-2020, 03:20 PM   #150
F87EVO
Major
Cyprus
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
. . . If the CS doesn't happen for some crazy reason with allocations, I'm genuinely not sure what I'll do. Lotus, Alfa, GT350, 991 Carrera S... Dunno.
SDH

What I can tell you is the F82 M4 still makes my head turn every time I see one . . . which, in my neck of the woods, is almost never. Rare species.

However, one reason it took me so long to pull trigger was because the F82 was constantly trying to pull me in. If the M2C were not available and I was driven to own a BMW, absolutely no question I would own an F82.

For whatever reason, this new Heritage edition continues to just sit unclaimed at a dealership near me. It is a sight to behold in person, and its performance requires no introduction. I believe these were limited in production to 750 units worldwide and come in at about same price as M2 CS (ASKING $86,795).

///AVM

Edit: I do not care about 'limited edition' and all that other bullshit, so a non-factor in my pointing the above F82 out as what 'I would want.' For those that do care, well, there you go . . . a sweet-ass, even more limited edition (than the CS), higher ranking official in the BMW lineup. Same model year and approximately same price as the M2CS.

So you are saying that because the F82 M4 heritage edition made only 750 pcs , and its a ltd edition that its a better option than the F87 CS ? Just because of same price and because of the marketing edition? So what you are buying , its just a M4 Comp , with no differences at all . Its just another edition like Black Shadow etc. No special model or anything else , just a marketing edition. How do you even compare the two models ? :

I would only understand the 750 pcs , but again , everyone knows which is the special model and which is just the marketing edition . It was the easiest way to make money and just sell 2250 M4s in order to sell their final stock .

But again , its all personal preference. If you want it , just buy it . There is no wrong or right.
      08-21-2020, 04:38 PM   #151
///AVM
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbomeister View Post
So you are saying . . .
No, you vomited all that bullshit out of thin air . . .

I will assume English is a second language in Cyprus and it comes with issues related to reading comprehension.

Regardless, I get it man . . . it is either a CS or it is shit from your perspective.

///AVM
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2020, 05:24 PM   #152
rwemersonrw
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Quote:
  • dedicated M2 CS thread: see here ("BMW M2 CS (2020): Wallpapers | Specs | Info").
  • dedicated M2 CS in the US thread: see here ("M2 CS USA allocation: anyone ?").
Thanks! I stopped by my local bmw dealer and he wasn't helpful at all he said he "thinks" they will get one and he doesn't have any info on it and that he'll know more in a couple of months. Smh 😒
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2020, 06:31 PM   #153
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbomeister View Post
So you are saying that because the F82 M4 heritage edition made only 750 pcs, and its a ltd edition that its a better option than the F87 CS ?
Marketing 2200 cars with a salty price-tag as "limited edition" (M2 CS): BMW M didn't resort to that kind of 'scarcity marketing' for the E46 M3 CSL, M3 CS or M4 CS and produced as many as production capacity allowed (but demand was relatively limited anyway because of the high price-point). A "1 of 2200" plaque would have been cringey.

"The M4 CS is not a limited series, just limited by production capacity. When we started the project we knew that it was going to be sold out anyway." (Frank van Meel - former BMW M boss) (source: here).

1383 E46 M3 CSL were built. The target of 1200 cars for the M3 CS was met (1263 cars). Not sure whether the target of 3000 cars for the M4 CS was met by February 2020 (through June 2019 2043 cars had been built).

(source: here)
      08-21-2020, 07:00 PM   #154
sdhotwn
Mmmm... Bavarian
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
SDH

///AVM

There is an unclaimed heritage edition at my dealer as well. The M4 doesn't do it for me (personally liked the M3 styling better than the M4 throughout this last generation). The irony I thought was the heritage is the same price basically as the M2 CS. But the bigger car, DCT only, etc make it of little interest to me. Doesn't have the bulgy hips etc of the M2 that also attract me to the "little" M.

The heritage sitting around, after my dealer had trouble getting rid of their M4 CS, and considering they have a wait list after me on the M2 CS also I think says something.
2014 Cayman S
Appreciate 0