BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > Regional Forums > USA - Mid-Atlantic > Northern Virginia Tint Recos

02-10-2020, 03:32 PM   #1
bubsterino
Banned
Rep
Drives: none

Northern Virginia Tint Recos

Hi all -

New 2020 black M2C. Never tinted in my life but want to do so on the new car. Will be VA-compliant (50% front windows, 35% back side windows + rear).

1) Looking for recos on where to go

2) any suggestions on whether it looks better to just do 50% all around for consistency vs. the 50% / 35%. Imagine it could look off on the front window vs the smaller back side window.

Many thanks community.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2020, 07:55 AM   #2
DarthFader
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2, 135i, F23 M240i

I would do 35% all around. It won't look too dark and cops shouldn't harass you for it.
I did 30% all around in Wisconsin (same tint laws as VA) and it's a non issue. Not dark at all.
50% is way too light and offers no privacy.
Appreciate 2
      02-11-2020, 10:55 AM   #3
trackday_chuck
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1995 M3

I've used Matt at TNT Tint for all of my cars in the last 10 years. He's great, a one man show that cuts it all by hand and doesn't charge astronomical prices.

https://tnttint.com/

Edit: Also I've been ticketed for 35% front and rear... VA is strict. But I agree with above that 50% is not very dark.
Appreciate 1
      02-11-2020, 11:14 AM   #4
bubsterino
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackday_chuck View Post
I've used Matt at TNT Tint for all of my cars in the last 10 years. He's great, a one man show that cuts it all by hand and doesn't charge astronomical prices.

Edit: Also I've been ticketed for 35% front and rear... VA is strict. But I agree with above that 50% is not very dark.
thank you both (and thanks to Jason for moving the thread here - my bad!).

I am a lifelong VA resident and have been subject to all of the consequences of living here (reckless driving for going +20 on the highway, countless parking tickets in Arlington, multiple no front license plate tickets, etc.)...so from that perspective, I would only consider something VA-compliant.

I agree that 50% isn't much but it's still an incremental improvement :-)

Do you have any thoughts on the 35% on back seat window vs 50% on front seat windows looking bad vs just doing it at a consistent 35% all around??
Appreciate 1
      02-11-2020, 11:54 AM   #5
trackday_chuck
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubsterino View Post
thank you both (and thanks to Jason for moving the thread here - my bad!).

I am a lifelong VA resident and have been subject to all of the consequences of living here (reckless driving for going +20 on the highway, countless parking tickets in Arlington, multiple no front license plate tickets, etc.)...so from that perspective, I would only consider something VA-compliant.

I agree that 50% isn't much but it's still an incremental improvement :-)

Do you have any thoughts on the 35% on back seat window vs 50% on front seat windows looking bad vs just doing it at a consistent 35% all around??
35% all around is definitely going to be a more consistent look. But i've done 50/35 on most of my recent vehicles and its not that noticeable unless you are looking for it. Your call on the risk vs. reward of 35% all around. A sunroof/big windshield/light colored interior help it not look as dark.... but my guess is your M2 comp has none of that

I can find a pic of my last car (not an M2) with 50/35 if you want.
Appreciate 1
      02-11-2020, 01:20 PM   #6
DarthFader
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2, 135i, F23 M240i

Damn. Sucks that VA is so strict.

I have a friend that has 35% on back/side rears and 50% on fronts and it looks good. He just wishes he would have gone 35% all around for more privacy. I would do 35/50% if VA is that strict.
Appreciate 1
      02-11-2020, 02:31 PM   #7
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep
Drives: All of them

Garage List
There's a place I go to in Woodbridge on US1 across from the Whitehorse carwash. He will do whatever tint you want as long as you pay cash. I typically do 35% since it doesn't seem to arouse any suspicion.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2020, 06:34 PM   #8
bubsterino
Banned
Rep

Quote:

thx again for this reco. matt is doing my tint tomorrow and also got the shop he works out of to handle painting the muffler black. stoked!!!!
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2020, 06:59 PM   #9
BigKutta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C, 2019 330xi, 2017 Q7

Garage List
2019 330xi  [0.00]
2017 Audi Q7 3.0  [0.00]
2020 M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
thx again for this reco. matt is doing my tint tomorrow and also got the shop he works out of to handle painting the muffler black. stoked!!!!
Whoa...share some info please about the muffler paint person. What is he charging you for that, and which paint will he use? Is he removing the muffle or masking and painting? I'd like to get this done.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2020, 12:11 AM   #10
bubsterino
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKutta View Post
Quote:
Whoa...share some info please about the muffler paint person. What is he charging you for that, and which paint will he use? Is he removing the muffle or masking and painting? I'd like to get this done.

Thanks!
PM sent.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2020, 08:23 AM   #11
bubsterino
Banned
Rep

photos of tint + muffler

see attached!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-21-2020, 08:17 AM   #12
trackday_chuck
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
see attached!
Glad Matt/TNT worked out for you. Are you happy with the muffler painting results, worth the cost? My M2C is on order... trying to decide if I want to keep the hokenheim silver or go with black.... your car is making me want to switch!
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2020, 11:36 AM   #13
bubsterino
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
see attached!
Glad Matt/TNT worked out for you. Are you happy with the muffler painting results, worth the cost? My M2C is on order... trying to decide if I want to keep the hokenheim silver or go with black.... your car is making me want to switch!
100% worth the cost. Matt and I did not even verbally agree to a price on that and he said to trust he and the shop would be fair. He was MORE than fair. Saved my back and inability to complete "easy" jobs!

My favorite color has been mineral gray - my 228i was MG. My m240 was black and out of the choices for the M2C, black was the only choice for me. It looks mean all black w grills and now the muffler too :-)
Appreciate 0