BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > TPMS side effect of Euro MDM?

01-29-2021, 09:48 AM   #1
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328d xDrive

Garage List
I coded the MDM ECE setting a while back because people were saying it allowed more slip etc etc, but after coding it I was still very unhappy with how intrusive the traction was with MDM enabled. I ended up coding the DSC and GHAS to the M2C settings and the EPS to the M4GTS setting and have been very happy since. I left my country identifier setting in ECE however and had forgotten all about it.

Anyways fast forward to recently while I'm driving my car on a cold day and the TPMS warning shows that my PSI is too low and I can't leave comfort mode until I add air pressure. I always keep my PSI at the recommended settings for the OEM wheels and tires but due to the cold I was off by a little and it was showing me this warning at like 29psi which is a very small fluctuation (only like 5psi lower than what's recommended). Prior to coding the ECE mdm setting I don't recall the car being as sensitive.

I remember reading in a post a while back that the ECE mdm setting is misunderstood and that what it actually does is change your TPMS warning threshold. Now I'm wondering if there's some truth to that statement:

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...;postcount=117

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...;postcount=145

lemetier

If anyone with some knowledge on the subject could throw in their 2 cents I'd love to be educated.

Last edited by AndrewC1989; 01-29-2021 at 10:09 AM..
Appreciate 1
      01-29-2021, 10:10 AM   #2
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

The coding doesn’t impact the warning threshold. When you get close to ~28-29psi you’ll get a warning. If any tire dips ~27psi you’ll get locked into comfort mode.

There are several threads about this in the Track section of the forum bc we all battle this bc depending on setup, tires, track, ambient temps, etc, we may want a starting pressure lower than 27psi, so we have to start the TPMS reset in the pits and warm our tires up quickly enough on the out lap so pressure gets 27psi or higher before the reset competes.

The only way around it is to code out TPMS and rely on the wheel speed sensors for pressure warning, but then you can’t see what PSI is in your tires on iDrive and you probably want more psi than that on the street anyways.

The psi warning values are in the ranges I mentioned but not exact bc the TPMS sensors all read and update slightly different, and they will read different than your tire pressure gauge.

PS. I agree the Euro MDM is too intrusive and also run the M2C MDM & Diff settings and M4GTS steering for the street (M2C steering for track). Hoping to be able to code/try M2CS settings soon (M2 GTS in code speak).

Last edited by ZM2; 01-29-2021 at 10:20 AM..
Appreciate 1
AndrewC198910931.00
      01-29-2021, 11:04 AM   #3
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328d xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZM2 View Post
The coding doesn't impact the warning threshold.
So the posts I linked are incorrect? Hopefully the writer (whom I tagged) responds because I'm genuinely curious if there is any evidence proving what they said. I literally noticed 0 difference between US and ECE traction wise so I'm wondering if it's an incredibly minor change that's hard to feel, or if the setting simply has another function we aren't aware of.

Quote:
There are several threads about this in the Track section of the forum bc we all battle this bc depending on setup, tires, track, ambient temps, etc
Not sure why I didn't think to start there lol. Makes perfect sense.

Quote:
Hoping to be able to code/try M2CS settings soon (M2 GTS in code speak).
I was under the impression that the M2CS would use the M3/M4 CS settings but I guess since the M2GTS setting exists in ESYS that proves otherwise.

I use the THOR_Flasher app and don't have access to ESYS at the moment but I'm hoping they add support for the M2CS if it has its own unique settings.
Appreciate 1
      01-29-2021, 12:26 PM   #4
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewC1989 View Post
So the posts I linked are incorrect? Hopefully the writer (whom I tagged) responds because I'm genuinely curious if there is any evidence proving what they said. I literally noticed 0 difference between US and ECE traction wise so I'm wondering if it's an incredibly minor change that's hard to feel, or if the settings simply has another function we aren't aware of.

I was under the impression that the M2CS would use the M3/M4 CS settings but I guess since the M2GTS setting exists in ESYS that proves otherwise.

I use the THOR_Flasher app and don't have access to ESYS at the moment but I'm hoping they add support for the M2CS if it has its own unique settings.
IDK the exact coding changes they're referencing, but back in 2017 when I had Euro MDM coded (before moving on to M4GTS, M4CS, or M2C settings), there was a little additional slip noticeable at the limit on track vs the OEM settings. I don't know that I was able to perceive it on the street, tho. It had no impact to the TPMS warnings when I tried it.

The M2CS has its own MDM, Diff, and maybe steering(?) settings. I'm also using THOR now for convenient quick flashing of settings, and they told me a couple days ago that they do plan to incorporate the M2CS (M2GTS) settings into the app. They didn't give a timeline, tho.

I run DSC completely off on track b/c any of the settings are too intrusive, but it'd be nice to have updated coding that provided a little more slip on the street and track.

Last edited by ZM2; 01-29-2021 at 01:03 PM..
Appreciate 1
AndrewC198910931.00
      01-31-2021, 09:34 PM   #5
cookiesowns
;)
Rep
Drives: X5 45e, 535i N54, X3 N55

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewC1989 View Post
So the posts I linked are incorrect? Hopefully the writer (whom I tagged) responds because I'm genuinely curious if there is any evidence proving what they said. I literally noticed 0 difference between US and ECE traction wise so I'm wondering if it's an incredibly minor change that's hard to feel, or if the setting simply has another function we aren't aware of.

Yea that person is wrong, the person maybe thinking the car is VO coded to ECE, but the FDL description for the MDM country setting clearly states “M dynamic mode” if you translate it.
Appreciate 1
AndrewC198910931.00