BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > +20HP / +14.75 ft/lbs TQ midrange with BMS intake. For real or BS?

06-21-2019, 08:07 PM   #1
PilotxERAU
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 F87 M2

+20HP / +14.75 ft/lbs TQ midrange with BMS intake. For real or BS?

Most people say intakes don't add any performance on our cars. Well this sure begs to differ. Dyno back to back stock vs BMS.

Interested to hear everyone's thoughts on this.

Appreciate 0
      06-22-2019, 05:40 PM   #2
O Haiii
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Toyota Tercel

This is a hot air intake. Real world conditions will never be like that.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2019, 09:18 PM   #3
Orange fever
Colonel
Thailand
Rep
Drives: E36M,E46M,E90M,X5M,i3,M2,i8

Real numbers bcuz everybody drives with hood open Like that...lol

BMW I12 i8 Frozen Yellow- H&R springs, 22" Radenergie F10 Monoblock Forged ///
F87 M2 Aw -Vorsteiner Aero Kit, VFF-107,Macht Schnell-Springs,VF-Engineering/Hex tuning Stage Two,ER DP,Stock Exhaust,Drop-In Bmc Filter,AA Intercooler,FTP Charge pipe+boost pipe/// Wish list :Mexico delivery 2024 BMW M2 (G87)
Appreciate 1
      06-22-2019, 09:55 PM   #4
coolmac
Rep
Drives: 335i , M Coupe

Just put a K&N in and should get the same results.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2019, 12:42 AM   #5
Fedorov
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i G20

Garage List
Even if the gains are just maybe 5-10hp isn't it a relatively cheap and safe way to give that increase?

I'm considering a stage one tune in comparison that is quite a lot more expensive although the gains with the tune are definitely more "guaranteed"..
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2019, 02:48 AM   #6
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedorov View Post
Even if the gains are just maybe 5-10hp isn't it a relatively cheap and safe way to give that increase?

I'm considering a stage one tune in comparison that is quite a lot more expensive although the gains with the tune are definitely more "guaranteed"..
I don't know, I really doubt in the real world you will see a noticeable improvement with this intake. The dyno conditions are very different than real world driving.

N55 is really limited by the stock turbo. It struggles in the upper RPM range because of the smaller turbo. The S55 stock intake is quite similar I think and those make a lot more power, because of the turbo change.

Even a tune alone without other mods might not get you 20 HP across the entire range, but I bet a tune is more effective than this intake.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2019, 08:36 AM   #7
heavyD^2
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

Stick with the stock paper filter. Intakes on turbocharged cars achieves nothing make noise and fatten the wallets of distributors/manufactures of intakes. I'm actually surprised in 2019 this is still a thing.
Appreciate 1
      06-24-2019, 08:48 AM   #8
PilotxERAU
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyD^2 View Post
Stick with the stock paper filter. Intakes on turbocharged cars achieves nothing make noise and fatten the wallets of distributors/manufactures of intakes. I'm actually surprised in 2019 this is still a thing.
This video runs a stock air box then an aftermarket one for a relatively large increase in hp/tq midrange. So unless the numbers are made up what is the explanation here? It’s a controlled before/after comparison.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2019, 01:15 PM   #9
eeyang92
Captain
Rep
Drives: LBB M2 LCI 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotxERAU View Post
This video runs a stock air box then an aftermarket one for a relatively large increase in hp/tq midrange. So unless the numbers are made up what is the explanation here? It’s a controlled before/after comparison.
I suppose it would be an upgrade if you spend a lot of time below 5.5k RPM (street), but it does seem to drop off at the top-end - and the N55's top end was already not that great.

On the track, where you spend a lot of time around high in the RPM range I suppose the performance increase would be a wash. You'd gain time in corners where your gearing lands you below 4k but lose time in straights when you'd usually be running to red line. The dyno graph would suggest you'd want to short shift at around 6.25k RPM (I think, the video is a bit blurry).
Appreciate 1
boostm3683.00
      06-24-2019, 02:24 PM   #10
McPurrs
The deuce gets loose
Rep
Drives: '17 M2 BSM 6MT

Who cares if it is real... its so small it doesn't matter. The CEL alone is why NOT to get an intake.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2019, 07:07 AM   #11
LuvMyE92
Occasionally frequent poster
Rep
Drives: CT5V-Blackwing

As others have noted, a dyno test with the hood open does not replicate what happens in the real world with the intake sucking in hot air from the engine compartment. That's thought #1.

Thought #2 is that BMW engineers do things for a reason. They are not dummies. Maybe that reason is something that you don't care about (intake noise, engine longevity, etc.) but they just don't do things a certain way for the heck of it.

Thought #3 is the most important, and I'll explain that with an anecdote:

Many years ago I was at the track talking to a guy who worked for Ford SVT. He had worked on the Lightning project, IIRC. I asked what he thought about K&N and other such filters, and why they are not OE. He replied that Ford [and all manufacturers] spend millions of dollars to get the maximum horsepower out of their engines. "If a different filter would make a difference, don't you think they would be using it?"

In my mind, the same applies to all of these "cold air intakes" which are, if you think about it at all, are actually the opposite. What they are is $12 of plastic that is sold for hundreds of dollars, making some guy very, very happy.
Past: E24,E28(3),E34,E36,E37,E38(2),E39(4),E46,E89,E92 (obviously),F01,F06,F10,F30,F87,G12,G30(2),G82(2)
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2019, 02:33 PM   #12
eeyang92
Captain
Rep
Drives: LBB M2 LCI 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvMyE92 View Post
As others have noted, a dyno test with the hood open does not replicate what happens in the real world with the intake sucking in hot air from the engine compartment. That's thought #1.

Thought #2 is that BMW engineers do things for a reason. They are not dummies. Maybe that reason is something that you don't care about (intake noise, engine longevity, etc.) but they just don't do things a certain way for the heck of it.

Many years ago I was at the track talking to a guy who worked for Ford SVT. He had worked on the Lightning project, IIRC. I asked what he thought about K&N and other such filters, and why they are not OE. He replied that Ford [and all manufacturers] spend millions of dollars to get the maximum horsepower out of their engines. "If a different filter would make a difference, don't you think they would be using it?"

In my mind, the same applies to all of these "cold air intakes" which are, if you think about it at all, are actually the opposite. What they are is $12 of plastic that is sold for hundreds of dollars, making some guy very, very happy.
The last point is a very good point. If it was "free" power, they probably would have done it already.

To be more specific though, the engineers probably want to balance the intake characteristics - some intakes perform better at low flow while others perform better at high flow. Most likely they will design an intake to complement the engine. Aftermarket intakes can potentially change that characteristic, which could be good if it fits your use-case.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2019, 05:29 PM   #13
Neutrino
Belgium
Rep
Drives: 2018 LCI M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by McPurrs View Post
Who cares if it is real... its so small it doesn't matter. The CEL alone is why NOT to get an intake.
That fatter hp/tq cure is not insignificant. The CEL issue is a bummer however.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvMyE92 View Post

Overall I agree with you, however I think you forgot that those engineers also work within strict budget and time constraints.

Perhaps they could design a better intake but they simply lacked the budget or were under such time crunch that they had to use the off the shelf 235i part.

Of course this is pure speculation on my part, but it could be a reason. Do we have other videos or forum members with before and after dyno runs with just an intake?
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2019, 06:06 PM   #14
M Fifty
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2 & 330CI

Market segmentation is a more likely reason for a given intake/filter being used than the lack of development budget or time.

But, they also have to keep it quiet. So they put restrictors in the airbox to minimise intake noise.

I would note that on the 1st generation Mini Cooper S, the use of the Works airbox led to quite a bit more intake noise (particularly over 4k rpm), but also - apparently - a 20bhp increase over stock. All the other intake pipework was standard, so that suggests a cone filter around a tapered intake tube is more effective than a panel filter across the middle of the same airbox volume. But as mentioned earlier, within no restrictors on the intake of the box to minimise noise...

Last edited by M Fifty; 06-25-2019 at 06:08 PM.. Reason: Spool Chucker pro bells
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2019, 07:10 PM   #15
PilotxERAU
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Fifty View Post
Market segmentation is a more likely reason for a given intake/filter being used than the lack of development budget or time.

But, they also have to keep it quiet. So they put restrictors in the airbox to minimise intake noise.

I would note that on the 1st generation Mini Cooper S, the use of the Works airbox led to quite a bit more intake noise (particularly over 4k rpm), but also - apparently - a 20bhp increase over stock. All the other intake pipework was standard, so that suggests a cone filter around a tapered intake tube is more effective than a panel filter across the middle of the same airbox volume. But as mentioned earlier, within no restrictors on the intake of the box to minimise noise...
Any aftermarket mod could be argued as the above posts do. Does not mean the are not effective. Engine tunes, down pipes, exhaust do something. They are not used by the manufacturers due to what has already been said but mostly due to emissions laws for homologation worldwide. This is the most restrictive factor and also pertains to intake specifications and restrictions.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2019, 03:20 PM   #16
MZWIE
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2

I tried a BMS intake and it would not fit correctly. Be careful.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2019, 04:18 PM   #17
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MZWIE View Post
I tried a BMS intake and it would not fit correctly. Be careful.
Even the Dinan intake requires cutting a brace.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2019, 09:15 PM   #18
boostm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '18 LBB M2 6MT Exec

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotxERAU View Post
Most people say intakes don't add any performance on our cars. Well this sure begs to differ. Dyno back to back stock vs BMS.

Interested to hear everyone's thoughts on this.

While it looks on those plots that midrange HP is more, not sure I agree with his finding that there is any increase at all in Peak. Matter of fact, above 5700 rpms, it looks here its losing a few HP and ft lbs to stock.. Its acacemic though, as overall, the gains are greater than the loss by a not insignificant amount on those plots. Doesnt mean these gains will translate fully to the road, with hood down, and other uncontrolled differences.
      07-02-2019, 07:13 AM   #19
bummie
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 LBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyD^2 View Post
You are clearly a man who has been around a while. Your comment regarding noise and fat wallets is spot on! I suspect these manufacturers are aiming their claims on younger folks who haven't learned this yet.
Appreciate 1
heavyD^23684.00
      07-02-2019, 09:00 AM   #20
heavyD^2
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by bummie View Post
You are clearly a man who has been around a while. Your comment regarding noise and fat wallets is spot on! I suspect these manufacturers are aiming their claims on younger folks who haven't learned this yet.
Ha ha ha. Yes I have. I have wasted a lot of money in the past on fluff mods like this but it doesn't mean people have to continue the cycle.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2019, 11:50 AM   #21
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Yes you do get gains from open air intakes, that being said get it for the sound. The gains are for a short period of RPM that most of the time you wont even feel it.
If you are looking for power there are a lot of mods which offers more value, you can always add the intake as the last step.

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2019, 01:21 PM   #22
cecaa850
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

The stock air box flows really well. Get a dry panel air filter in it and call it a day.
Appreciate 2
JTO245246.50
boostm3683.00