BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Active Sound Design (ASD) topics

08-24-2016, 05:51 AM   #67
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

As MR. twinfed and repucci stated: +1
Much better no drone-ish stuff, au naturelle still heavy metal(I have the MPE)but windows closed valves open inside more silent , HK=clear now. But wind/ other noises more.

Windows open MPE valves open: Infernal! And natural. I am happy!

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2016, 12:05 PM   #68
omasou
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
Anyone have the BMW part #s for these pieces?
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2016, 01:48 PM   #69
Franzino
Captain
Belgium
Rep
Drives: M2 MY17 / Alpine A110 MY19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin_NL View Post
@MR. & Franzino , het is deze dus hè. Ga ik bestellen:
http://technicpnp.com/product-catego...hk-option-674/

(HK audio system) ASD bypass harness 90$ incl shipping.

Cheers
Robin
Correct
I ordered the harness 2 weeks a go and someone is bringing it from the USA to avoid the extra shipping and tax charges of Europe.
      08-24-2016, 03:04 PM   #70
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by masou View Post
Anyone have the BMW part #s for these pieces?
It is not a BMW part. It is an aftermarket harness made by TechnicPnP, who is a custom audio installer in South Florida.

Here is the website link ("Top HiFi" means HK). Best results for ordering often come from an email inquiry to the address in the upper right corner of the site.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2016, 03:06 PM   #71
omasou
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viffermike View Post
It is not a BMW part. It is an aftermarket harness made by TechnicPnP, who is a custom audio installer in South Florida.

Here is the website link ("Top HiFi" means HK). Best results for ordering often come from an email inquiry to the address in the upper right corner of the site.
I meant the BMW part # so I can make my own.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2016, 03:10 PM   #72
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by masou View Post
I meant the BMW part # so I can make my own.
Distancing ... sorry. I, for one, won't empower a copycat. TechnicPnP's been too good to the BMW community for too long.

Besides: AFAIK, BMW harnesses are not easy to procure. That's one reason speaker pigtails are not readily available for them.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2016, 12:20 AM   #73
omasou
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viffermike View Post
Distancing ... sorry. I, for one, won't empower a copycat. TechnicPnP's been too good to the BMW community for too long.

Besides: AFAIK, BMW harnesses are not easy to procure. That's one reason speaker pigtails are not readily available for them.
Sure and if I decide to swap out my speakers I should pay up and buy the BavSound set instead of sourcing my own speakers and instead of making pigtails to plug into the stock wiring, I'll cut off the factory ends and splice the speaker wires to the cut wire. And I won't waste my time reading and sharing information on forums.

Wouldn't want to be a "copycat"

sheesh...
Appreciate 1
      08-25-2016, 09:09 PM   #74
Prodigy.
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: ///M2

Anyone who has installed the harness noticed an issue with reduced Bass from the stereo? Was looking at the Technic PNP website and noticed this:

'Please note that changes in bass response may be experienced by bypassing the ASD in the HiFi/HK(674) OEM amp systems.'

Also any idea if they ship to Australia?
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2016, 10:30 AM   #75
pup73
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigy.
Anyone who has installed the harness noticed an issue with reduced Bass from the stereo? Was looking at the Technic PNP website and noticed this:

'Please note that changes in bass response may be experienced by bypassing the ASD in the HiFi/HK(674) OEM amp systems.'

Also any idea if they ship to Australia?
Definitely decreases the bass "sound". In fact, that was what I first noticed upon installation, even more than the fake engine noise being gone...

However, I quickly got used to it, and now don't notice the difference in the stereo.

No regrets

-c
2005 Honda S2000-mostly stock
1994 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo-barely stock
Appreciate 1
Prodigy.697.50
      08-26-2016, 12:06 PM   #76
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigy. View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by pup73 View Post
Definitely decreases the bass "sound". In fact, that was what I first noticed upon installation, even more than the fake engine noise being gone ... However, I quickly got used to it, and now don't notice the difference in the stereo. No regrets
-c
See this post. It contains an explanation (somewhat technical, but it makes sense) of how the harness works and why the bass response decreases -- from the maker of the harness himself.
Appreciate 3
confusion601.00
Prodigy.697.50
CAVU149.00
      08-27-2016, 08:33 AM   #77
Dabozo
Major
Rep
Drives: M2 BSM MT

For those who have bypassed asd, is the drop in bass response enough that a second amp and woofer would be necessary? I'm not looking to shatter my windows or anything...but I do like a bit of punch in my sound stage.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2016, 05:57 AM   #78
reppucci
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 04A6 2.7T(DD), 16M2 BSM MT EP

Garage List
2016 M2  [0.00]
1995 M3  [0.00]
2006 Mini Cooper S ...  [0.00]
2004 A6 2.7T  [0.00]
1994 325is  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabozo View Post
For those who have bypassed asd, is the drop in bass response enough that a second amp and woofer would be necessary? I'm not looking to shatter my windows or anything...but I do like a bit of punch in my sound stage.
I hadn't really noticed much or significant bass drop but then again I wasn't driving the car in audiophile mode after the asd bypass !

Now I will reassess this on my next drive or while sitting in the driveway. I am away for a few days.

After I "relisten" will report back!
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2016, 06:15 AM   #79
J.M
First Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: '17 M2 DCT BSM

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
So, knowing for a fact that bypassing the asd module causes a drop in bass responsiveness (plus it is a pain in the ass to install), isn't it better to just code it off even though there are still some fake sounds coming through the speakers?
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2016, 07:34 AM   #80
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.M
So, knowing for a fact that bypassing the asd module causes a drop in bass responsiveness (plus it is a pain in the ass to install), isn't it better to just code it off even though there are still some fake sounds coming through the speakers?
Read the threads on the harness in the 2Addicts forum. Coding is not an ideal solution if you're after more clear audio. The decreased bass responsiveness is a far more desirable tradeoff.

To reitierate: the underseat 'subs' are NOT subs; they are mid-bass drivers that are tasked to handle some bass frequencies. What many call 'bass' is actually not true bass (frequencies under roughly 175Hz); it is mid-bass, which extends to about 400Hz. The responsiveness issue relates to the capability of the underseat drivers to reproduce bass, which they aren't primarily designed to do - and are not powered sufficiently to do anyway.

If you really, really like true bass (i.e., you listen to hip hop or club music, which are two genres that take advantage of the low end), the HK in the M2 wouldn't have impressed you anyway because the system is not designed or powered to go that low. If you really want a system that can go that low, a dedicated sub with a dedicated amp is the ONLY option for you.
Appreciate 2
      09-02-2016, 02:12 PM   #81
Aronis
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5

It amazes me that BMW did not make this a user selected function and allow the drover to turn if off.

2018 M5 and 2019 Porsche Boxster GTS
Prior. '94 325is, '97 M3 Lux, '16 M2
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2016, 02:06 PM   #82
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Some interesting news:

According to this tread, the OP of which contains an internal document that explains how the ASD module operates, ASD may be automatically disabled if any of the speakers are disconnected.

Because of the popularity of disconnecting the center channel speaker on 2 Series models with any stereo to improve the soundstage, this means that ASD is permanently shut down when that speaker is disconnected.

What disconnecting the speaker doesn't do is take the ASD module out of the signal path, which means that the operational noise that the module emits is not eliminated. The TechnicPnP harness is still the only way to eliminate this.
Appreciate 1
SoCalRob281.00
      09-14-2016, 06:04 PM   #83
CAVU
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 F87 M2

I am already dissatisfied with the stock HK system, so living with a reduction in bass, a known side effect of the TechnicPnP harness, means that installing the harness isn't the ideal solution for me. I also plan to disable the center channel speaker, perhaps I should do that FIRST, then evaluate how much hiss is present, before going to the harness, which will reduce bass. I don't spend much time with the stereo on, but I can't live with the ASD.

So it's a choice between some hiss or less bass?

F87 '16 M2 ... Mineral Grey, 6MT, Exec, MPE
Gone: E82 '13 135is 475/586 ... Mineral Grey / Oyster, DCT, Premium, Tech, HK, Michelin PSS, BMW Performance Suspension
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2016, 07:03 PM   #84
Ex-MINI
BMW Newb
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 LBB M2 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVU View Post
I am already dissatisfied with the stock HK system, so living with a reduction in bass, a known side effect of the TechnicPnP harness, means that installing the harness isn't the ideal solution for me. I also plan to disable the center channel speaker, perhaps I should do that FIRST, then evaluate how much hiss is present, before going to the harness, which will reduce bass. I don't spend much time with the stereo on, but I can't live with the ASD.

So it's a choice between some hiss or less bass?
So according to the Technic harness thread on the 2 series forum, it turned out that the cause of the bass loss is related to an error in the original BMW schematic, which caused Technic to wire the harness incorrectly.

They've now found the identified the fix, which you can either re-wire yourself, or send the harness back to Technic to be corrected free of charge. Looks like folks have had their bass back once this is done.

Here is the post in question, as well as the original thread:

http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showp...8&postcount=69

http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1202389
Appreciate 4
///M²281.00
CAVU149.00
ewohar21.50
      09-14-2016, 07:33 PM   #85
///M²
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2 6MT

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-MINI View Post
So according to the Technic harness thread on the 2 series forum, it turned out that the cause of the bass loss is related to an error in the original BMW schematic, which caused Technic to wire the harness incorrectly.

They've now found the identified the fix, which you can either re-wire yourself, or send the harness back to Technic to be corrected free of charge. Looks like folks have had their bass back once this is done.

I ordered the harness a couple of weeks ago and received it Monday, the wires are fixed and in the correct locations, I didn't have to do a thing.
CAVU149.00
      09-14-2016, 08:01 PM   #86
NOLAGUY
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: LBB M2

Same here. I got my harness 2 weeks ago and it's correct. The funny part is that I don't have the car yet!
Appreciate 1
///M²281.00
      09-14-2016, 08:11 PM   #87
CAVU
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 F87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-MINI View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2ME2 View Post
I ordered the harness a couple of weeks ago and received it Monday, the wires are fixed and in the correct locations, I didn't have to do a thing.
Wow guys, thanks for digging this up!

So perhaps I'm still missing something, but TechnicPnP previously said that the ASD unit functioned as a 15W amp (approx 8V), boosting the low 2.8V input signal from the iDrive, and that removing this 15W boost from the signal path was the reason for the missing bass.

So are we now saying that the rewired bypass harness somehow retains the boost of the ASD amp without sending the ASD engine sound into the signal path? I'm hopeful, but just want to know what I'm getting into before I order the new harness.

Source: http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showp...3&postcount=55

F87 '16 M2 ... Mineral Grey, 6MT, Exec, MPE
Gone: E82 '13 135is 475/586 ... Mineral Grey / Oyster, DCT, Premium, Tech, HK, Michelin PSS, BMW Performance Suspension
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2016, 08:17 PM   #88
Ex-MINI
BMW Newb
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 LBB M2 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVU View Post
Wow guys, thanks for digging this up!

So perhaps I'm still missing something, but TechnicPnP previously said that the ASD unit functioned as a 15W amp (approx 8V), boosting the low 2.8V input signal from the iDrive, and that removing this 15W boost from the signal path was the reason for the missing bass.

So are we now saying that the rewired bypass harness somehow retains the boost of the ASD amp without sending the ASD engine sound into the signal path? I'm hopeful, but just want to know what I'm getting into before I order the new harness.

Source: http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showp...3&postcount=55
Honestly, I'm not sure, as I'd not seen that thread you'd referenced. I don't even have the harness, but was researching it when I came across the "bass fix".

Probably best to ask in that 2'er thread...they've got a lot more experience with the harness I think.
Appreciate 0