BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > BMW Design Chief: BMW Electric Vehicles Will Have Separated Kidney Grilles

12-17-2019, 11:33 AM   #23
TXSchnee
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 XM

BMW should be glad Mercedes pushed the EQC back to 2021, they may sell some of these ugly things.
2020 Porsche Cayenne E Hybrid (sold)
2018 X3 M40i (sold)
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2019, 11:47 AM   #24
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

As much as I acknowledge the polarization of kidney grill design, I am more interested in the the rest of the BMW vehicle capabilities.
Appreciate 4
Al Pinã1839.50
530iDriver1707.50
heavyD^23688.50
      12-17-2019, 12:02 PM   #25
VirtualGuitars
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW XM Label

Garage List
Um, yuck! Perhaps I will get used to it eventually. Just not today!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-17-2019, 12:19 PM   #26
Al Pinã
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpina XB7

Once people on this forum realize that no one (especially BMW) cares what you think about design language, I reckon life will become easier and less agitating for everyone involved.

If you can't bring anything of value to the discussion, why spend the time and energy? Do you actually think members of BMW's board are sitting in Munich in front of a projector screen of this forum and saying, "Oh no, Steve73M5 says the grilles are too large! We must scrap the current tooling and dies and start from scratch!"

Get over yourselves. Design interpretation is inherently highly subjective. The really beautiful part is that if you dislike the design so much, you are free to buy something else! Simple as that. But to see hundreds of negative comments day after day is pretty sad and demoralizing.
Sedan_Clan24964.00
hybris204.50
JTO245271.50
heavyD^23688.50
      12-17-2019, 12:21 PM   #27
Al Pinã
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpina XB7

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfm56d7b View Post
As much as I acknowledge the polarization of kidney grill design, I am more interested in the the rest of the BMW vehicle capabilities.
For crying out loud, thank you for this comment! Imagine a discussion of the capabilities of a vehicle instead of talking about the fucking grilles.
Sedan_Clan24964.00
JTO245271.50
      12-17-2019, 12:35 PM   #28
farishat
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 E46 330i ZHP, 2024 G80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ted99 View Post
Ditto to the above. I owned BMW's until the "Bangle Butts" came--switched to M-B for my next 4 cars. Came back to BMW when the rears got better for next five cars. Won't be buying any BMW's with these monstrous grills.

You rich elite you?!
Appreciate 1
DeeKay553.00
      12-17-2019, 12:41 PM   #29
DeeKay
Captain
Denmark
Rep
Drives: 2021 Tesla Model 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 530iDriver View Post
Mercedes is going the big ass grill route too. Check out renders of the upcoming all new S-Class..
Or the last couple of S Classes - humongous grills!
      12-17-2019, 01:03 PM   #30
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALPINA_DREAMS View Post
Once people on this forum realize that no one (especially BMW) cares what you think about design language, I reckon life will become easier and less agitating for everyone involved.

If you can't bring anything of value to the discussion, why spend the time and energy? Do you actually think members of BMW's board are sitting in Munich in front of a projector screen of this forum and saying, "Oh no, Steve73M5 says the grilles are too large! We must scrap the current tooling and dies and start from scratch!"

Get over yourselves. Design interpretation is inherently highly subjective. The really beautiful part is that if you dislike the design so much, you are free to buy something else! Simple as that. But to see hundreds of negative comments day after day is pretty sad and demoralizing.
+1
Appreciate 1
530iDriver1707.50
      12-17-2019, 01:13 PM   #31
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hish View Post
I dont suppose you need to question claim, just check sales numbers. BMW is currently growing faster than before, so there would be more of "brave" designs. Such as polarizing design for new 4-series front end.
For one, I agree with statement that you cannot please everyone. For example, even though design for 8GC is generally considered one of the best in recent years, there are plenty of people who consider it butt ugly...
Lets see how well they do with the new 4 series. They have grown the grills recently but the version on the 4 series takes that to a whole new level. Furthermore, we don't know how many of those sales are despite the larger grills, not because of them.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2019, 01:19 PM   #32
Miko M
///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C. 2020 X3M

Quote:
Ummm no. I dislike the Washed out front end of the Model 3. And the pre-LCI (2016) Model S front end looked much better to my eyes.
Mine point was that it doesn't look bad at all.

Is it the beat looking No

I like the Porsche Taycan look.

But if bmw planes slap the grill in that picture then it look ugly in mine eyes.
      12-17-2019, 01:25 PM   #33
oz555
Captain
Rep
Drives: M340i x-drive

Garage List
2021 BMW M340iX  [9.00]
They listen to us
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2019, 01:38 PM   #34
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Porsche Boxster GTS

Garage List
  [0.00]
2022 Porsche Boxste ...  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miko M View Post
There is nothing wrong not having a grill at all on electric cars.

Tesla proved that already and it can look very nice.
Their cars look like bulbous blobs, especially the Model X and 3. My wife calls them, and I'm not exaggerating "giant tampon boxes"
2018 BMW M2 Mineral Grey(SOLD)
2019 BMW X5 50i Carbon Black/Tartufo (SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2019, 01:46 PM   #35
Kr0m3assass1n
kr0m3assass1n
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 X7 M50i

Garage List
Quote:

Oh the irony. You are bitching about other people bitching about these enormous grilles.

Anyway; I agree with you partially. There is little discussion on full self driving capability, for example, although this thread and the corresponding article are speaking directly to visual aspects of the iNext series.

I also agree that those who don't like the new "look" should go shop elsewhere. I have already voiced my silent dissent by making the decision to not buy another BMW with the current design language because aesthetics do matter a lot to me, enough to sway my decision to go with another automaker. That, in my opinion, is sad and demoralizing for a lifetime BMW fan and 3-time BMW owner like me.
Appreciate 1
ted99242.00
      12-17-2019, 02:20 PM   #36
Cortexiphan
Major
Rep
Drives: 24' BMW iX

I hope they're not making their decisions based on twitter mob.
21’ G20 ///M340i

24' i20 iX xDrive50
Appreciate 1
      12-17-2019, 02:28 PM   #37
Wolf 335
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Quote:

I think you are getting a bit ahead of yourself here, so calm down a bit.

This is an open forum where car and non car discussions happen. Just as you said if you don't like it you move on, right?

What you fail you realize is that real enthusiasts obviously appreciate the design and performance aspect of a car, so why is it bad we discuss the horrid design path bmw has been on.

People that complain or dislike this current style are simply sad that they can not get back into a car they once loved, simple as that.
Appreciate 4
      12-17-2019, 02:38 PM   #38
Canuck335
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 335ix Sedan 6MT

Quote:

I respectfully disagree.
Any successful brand these days will engage on social media to some extent or another. A few years ago BMW did not use social media for anything other than product placement however that is changing.

https://www.bmwblog.com/2017/06/22/b...new-customers/

I do think they point their analytics at forums like this - not necessarily to drive product design but just to see if what they're doing is driving engagement.
I'm in the corporate IT / marketing / selling business, and trust me... these companies are devouring this data like a fat kid on a smartie.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2019, 03:09 PM   #39
530iDriver
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 530i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck335 View Post
I respectfully disagree.
Any successful brand these days will engage on social media to some extent or another. A few years ago BMW did not use social media for anything other than product placement however that is changing.

https://www.bmwblog.com/2017/06/22/b...new-customers/

I do think they point their analytics at forums like this - not necessarily to drive product design but just to see if what they're doing is driving engagement.
I'm in the corporate IT / marketing / selling business, and trust me... these companies are devouring this data like a fat kid on a smartie.
That might be so, but his point is also the constant, never ending regurgitation of the same exact taking points (The grille this and the grille that) that doesn't add anything of value or interest to the conversation. Just the mantra and the idea that the more the same exact thing is repeated it must somehow become "fact".

This is the same exact strategy so called political "pundits" do in news network channels. Repeat, repeat and repeat the same talking points.

Before: 2011 BMW 328i E90 sedan, Platinum Bronze Metallic, Dakota Brown leather, 17 inch wheels, 6-speed auto, N52 6 Cyl inline N/A goodness....
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2019, 03:17 PM   #40
stein_325i
Ring Leader of G8X Haters
No_Country
Rep
Drives: A Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz555 View Post
They listen to us
Let's be honest, separating the two kidney's won't take away from the fact that they will likely be big and ugly still.
      12-17-2019, 03:50 PM   #41
hellrotm
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbryce View Post
But they're going to leave the hideous grille on the 4er and m3???
Yes. The G8x grills are separated in the middle by a vertical bar. He didn't say anything about size, just that the conjoined kidneys featured on the iX3 and iNext concepts won't make it to production.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2019, 03:52 PM   #42
Canuck335
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 335ix Sedan 6MT

Quote:
That might be so, but his point is also the constant, never ending regurgitation of the same exact taking points (The grille this and the grille that) that doesn't add anything of value or interest to the conversation. Just the mantra and the idea that the more the same exact thing is repeated it most somehow become "fact".

This is the same exact strategy so called political "pundits" do in news network channels. Repeat, repeat and repeat the same talking points.
It's the numbers that make the difference.
If only a few people show dislike for a certain feature they write it off.
When it's hundreds or thousands, especially across multiple social media sources (FB, Twitter, Insta, etc.) it can add up and trigger alerts in their monitoring tools.
for example here's SFDC's tool
https://www.salesforce.com/products/...dia-marketing/
Appreciate 1
emulajavi421.50
      12-17-2019, 04:21 PM   #43
J-RO
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M240ix

Quote:

Nice to know that no one (especially BMW) cares what you think about design language.. Maybe they don't care where we spend our money either.
Appreciate 2
      12-17-2019, 04:24 PM   #44
J-RO
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M240ix

Quote:

The best way to maybe curtail discussion about the grille is for BMW to stop teasing us everyday and show us the grille.
Appreciate 0