BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Does Bootmod3 work with the lastest BMW Update?

06-21-2019, 10:05 AM   #1
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 Mineral Grey M2

Does Bootmod3 work with the lastest BMW Update?

I know it doesn't work on the M2C after "I think" the April 19th update. Can anyone confirm it's the same for the M2 or not?

My car is in the shop now for a taillight issue, and I asked them not to update or reset any software without speaking with me first, because I don't want to lose my tune or coding.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2019, 11:53 AM   #2
NathObeaN
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition (MY2021)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1s View Post
I know it doesn't work on the M2C after "I think" the April 19th update. Can anyone confirm it's the same for the M2 or not?

My car is in the shop now for a taillight issue, and I asked them not to update or reset any software without speaking with me first, because I don't want to lose my tune or coding.
I would like to know this too... ironically I have my car booked in, in a couple of days, precisely for the same reason - failed tail light (indicator). I'm worried that if they apply an update it might prevent me from using BM3.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2019, 12:05 PM   #3
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 Mineral Grey M2

Halim@HCP Can you answer this for us?
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2019, 05:36 PM   #4
Nezil
Major
Rep
Drives: LCI '18 6MT M2

I had my iDrive screen replaced last weekend, and by comparing coding before and after, I can see that they did update the NBT coding, presumably for a slightly different screen type. I didn't have a full I-Step update done, and neither requested or requested not to.

I was worried, for the same reasons as you, so reached out to cookiesowns because he seems to find out the contents of I-Step updates pretty frequently. He didn't think there was an N55 DME update for quite a while, but also couldn't confirm it either. He feels that since the N55 is EOL, only very limited changes were likely to be made.

If you don't hear back from Halim@HCP or proTUNING Freaks, I wouldn't worry too much.

Having said that, I would be interested to know for sure too.

Current Performance Mods:
CSF FMIC, ER CP, Fabspeed Cat, Aquamist WMI, GFB DV+, NGK 97506, BM3 (Stage 2 93 OTS), CDV delete, UCP, M2C/M3/M4 Strut Brace, M3/M4 Reinforcement Rings
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2019, 11:55 PM   #5
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nezil View Post
I had my iDrive screen replaced last weekend, and by comparing coding before and after, I can see that they did update the NBT coding, presumably for a slightly different screen type. I didn't have a full I-Step update done, and neither requested or requested not to.

I was worried, for the same reasons as you, so reached out to cookiesowns because he seems to find out the contents of I-Step updates pretty frequently. He didn't think there was an N55 DME update for quite a while, but also couldn't confirm it either. He feels that since the N55 is EOL, only very limited changes were likely to be made.

If you don't hear back from Halim@HCP or proTUNING Freaks, I wouldn't worry too much.

Having said that, I would be interested to know for sure too.
My vehicle is coming up to it's final free maintenance shortly. I'm thinking I'll ask them to update it to the latest istep. I'm sure they'll charge me though. I guess then, we'll know.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2019, 06:35 PM   #6
Halim@HCP
Banned
Denmark
Rep
Drives: BMW F80 M3

This applies to the M2C only.

N55 M2, no worries
Appreciate 2
      07-02-2019, 01:49 PM   #7
tutankhamon
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB BMW M2

Hi all, I'm just trying to follow along here, just looking for clarification.
My ISTEP is currently getting updated at the dealership, will this simply wipe out all the 'convenience' settings I've programmed the FEM with (ie folding, disclaimer notifications, seatbelt chimes etc) or will it also wipe out my stg2 tune?
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2019, 08:48 PM   #8
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by tutankhamon View Post
My ISTEP is currently getting updated at the dealership, will this simply wipe out all the 'convenience' settings I've programmed the FEM with (ie folding, disclaimer notifications, seatbelt chimes etc) or will it also wipe out my stg2 tune?
I believe it will wipe out your tune. Not sure what would happen if you later flashed your old stock map now that istep has been updated. I assume you'll need to unlock dme again and have bm3 re-save your latest stock map?
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2019, 09:30 PM   #9
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
Quote:
I believe it will wipe out your tune. Not sure what would happen if you later flashed your old stock map now that istep has been updated. I assume you'll need to unlock dme again and have bm3 re-save your latest stock map?
I don't think BM3 saves the exact map that originally came from the factory on the ECU; they have a variation of what they consider for your vehicle's "stock" mapping and uploads that back up, when you request a flash and lock back to stock.

BTW, with BMW's new April 2019 update, the S55 uses the same ECU as the N55, so I highly doubt that the latest software doesn't affect the new firewall of all vehicles, regardless of what the vendor claims.

There have been reports of BMW blocking new B58 software also from allowing flash tunes, so why would BMW conveniently not patch the new N55 software, if that's their ultimate goal.

I believe it would still be blocked but would loved to be proven wrong.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2019, 12:17 AM   #10
SeanWRT
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 & F87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
BTW, with BMW's new April 2019 update, the S55 uses the same ECU as the N55, so I highly doubt that the latest software doesn't affect the new firewall of all vehicles, regardless of what the vendor claims.
Because the latest produced N55 is close to if not already expiring warranty.
      07-03-2019, 01:27 AM   #11
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanWRT View Post
Quote:
Because the latest produced N55 is close to if not already expiring warranty.
Good point but it still seems weird that the change wouldn't occurred across the board.

Warranty or not, even a discontinued vehicles still have their software revised from time to time.

The N55's last year of production was only two MY ago, it's still a relevant motor, in terms of warranty and software. But what do I know..
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2019, 10:29 AM   #12
ONDEMAND
oooooo
Rep
Drives: with 3 pedals

Around May 15th I had the latest update installed chasing a COM / NAV issue and successfully flashed BM3 back on the car the following day. No issues for N55 unless BMW has kicked out another update in the last 5-6 weeks
      07-03-2019, 01:08 PM   #13
tutankhamon
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB BMW M2

Quote:
I don't think BM3 saves the exact map that originally came from the factory on the ECU; they have a variation of what they consider for your vehicle's "stock" mapping and uploads that back up, when you request a flash and lock back to stock.

There have been reports of BMW blocking new B58 software also from allowing flash tunes, so why would BMW conveniently not patch the new N55 software, if that's their ultimate goal.

Thanks all for the info,

I just got my car back from being updated and can confirm that yes, the tune did indeed get wiped out along with all my other 'convenience' settings from bimmercode.

I was able to successfully reflash bm3. It DID need to unlock DME. Here are some of my logs:

2019-07-03 11:53:48,733 INFO - Detected different version of software on the DME from the map being flashed.
2019-07-03 11:53:48,733 INFO - Running full flash instead of quick map switch due to detecting software differences between the map and DME.
2019-07-03 11:53:48,740 INFO - Flashing Stage 2 93 octane

Their version numbers are a bit different from what is discussed here - On my service record it stated the version I had was 16-11-502. Updated to 19-03-546.

I can confirm my version was evo_Jxxx and it is now evo_Qxxx. No problems at all with reflashing bm3. Thank goodness too, that drive from the dealership felt night and day compared to running a stg 2 tune - makes you really appreciate how big a difference a tune really is!
Appreciate 1
Poochie9103.00
      07-03-2019, 01:28 PM   #14
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Thanks all for the info,

I just got my car back from being updated and can confirm that yes, the tune did indeed get wiped out along with all my other 'convenience' settings from bimmercode.

I was able to successfully reflash bm3. It DID need to unlock DME. Here are some of my logs:

2019-07-03 11:53:48,733 INFO - Detected different version of software on the DME from the map being flashed.
2019-07-03 11:53:48,733 INFO - Running full flash instead of quick map switch due to detecting software differences between the map and DME.
2019-07-03 11:53:48,740 INFO - Flashing Stage 2 93 octane

Their version numbers are a bit different from what is discussed here - On my service record it stated the version I had was 16-11-502. Updated to 19-03-546.

I can confirm my version was evo_Jxxx and it is now evo_Qxxx. No problems at all with reflashing bm3. Thank goodness too, that drive from the dealership felt night and day compared to running a stg 2 tune - makes you really appreciate how big a difference a tune really is!
Good to hear, I guess I stand corrected; the N55 new software isn't patched to block flash tuning. 🥳

Thanks for the confirmation!
Appreciate 0