BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Add USB port to snap in baseplate wiring.

11-19-2017, 08:59 PM   #1
Tommyudo
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2016 LBB M2 6MT

Add USB port to snap in baseplate wiring.

I'd like to know if it's possible to unplug the baseplate under the armrest in my M2 and then add a USB port hidden below the baseplate behind the rear heater vents. This is where I've terminated the cord for my iPhone, which is currently plugged into the USB port under the armrest. I'd like to use that port for an iPod and I'll never use the snap in adapter.

Thanks, Tom
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2017, 12:06 AM   #2
ZPrime
I INDIC8
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB M2, 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [9.50]
You can entirely remove the baseplate and replace it with basically just a storage tray. Could easily cut a small hole in that tray and run the wire through there.

I'm considering pulling out the plate just to get another storage area; I will never use the wireless charging due to the inconvenience of the thing (not going to open the armrest every time I get in the car and then remember to take the phone out before I leave...)
I'm also a fan of aural pleasure.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2017, 07:24 AM   #3
hshot_rooke
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2

If you're looking to remove the cradle, here is a DIY pic log of other bimmerpost members (from an f30 and f15, but may help you with the M2). Not sure about adding a usb though:

http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...5&postcount=31

http://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=963790
Appreciate 1
      11-20-2017, 11:05 AM   #4
Tommyudo
Enlisted Member
Rep

FYI, my car is a 2016. I'm not looking to totally remove the baseplate, but to unplug it (at the baseplate end, not at the radio) and to plug in a USB port into that cable. Then I would plug my iPhone cable which is already snaked through the console into that port and bury the wiring back under the re-installed baseplate. This would free-up the other USB port for an iPod with my full music library.

Thanks,

Tom
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2017, 03:07 PM   #5
Tommyudo
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thanks for the links hshot_rooke, those pictures showing the wiring really help. I will see if the baseplate wiring is the same connector and works with the "other" USB connector and if it does, I'll just order another one of those.
Appreciate 1
      11-21-2017, 04:10 AM   #6
ZPrime
I INDIC8
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB M2, 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [9.50]
Does your mount/baseplate look like the one in the F30 thread? The LCI (and I think the 2017) don't look like that, they have a sliding thing and not the "snap in cradle" like the F30 shows.

It's an important distinction because what is used in 2018 (and I think 2017) is charging-only. There may be some sort of antenna booster as well (the black cable is coax with a FAKRA plug, normally an antenna in the german automotive world), but the blue one pictured in the F30 post I would not expect to find in an M2... unless the 2016 charging cradle was the older style with the various "Snap-in" baseplates.

The snap-in system has both charging and data in it, hence the need for a multi-pin data cable (the blue one in the F30 pics). AFAIK, that cable is somewhat standardized and there do exist USB connectors for them (Think of it like a shielded automotive USB cable).

Since the newer cars are simply wireless charging, I wouldn't expect to find that data cable down there.
I'm also a fan of aural pleasure.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2017, 07:26 AM   #7
hshot_rooke
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommyudo View Post
Thanks for the links hshot_rooke, those pictures showing the wiring really help. I will see if the baseplate wiring is the same connector and works with the "other" USB connector and if it does, I'll just order another one of those.
No problem, good luck!
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2017, 08:19 AM   #8
Tommyudo
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZPrime View Post
Does your mount/baseplate look like the one in the F30 thread? The LCI (and I think the 2017) don't look like that, they have a sliding thing and not the "snap in cradle" like the F30 shows.

It's an important distinction because what is used in 2018 (and I think 2017) is charging-only. There may be some sort of antenna booster as well (the black cable is coax with a FAKRA plug, normally an antenna in the german automotive world), but the blue one pictured in the F30 post I would not expect to find in an M2... unless the 2016 charging cradle was the older style with the various "Snap-in" baseplates.

The snap-in system has both charging and data in it, hence the need for a multi-pin data cable (the blue one in the F30 pics). AFAIK, that cable is somewhat standardized and there do exist USB connectors for them (Think of it like a shielded automotive USB cable).

Since the newer cars are simply wireless charging, I wouldn't expect to find that data cable down there.
My 2016, has the snap in baseplate. It looks just like the one in the F30 post that was linked. I expect to find the blue plug under there, which I will attempt to connect to a USB port. If that works I'll be good to go. After that, I may also look into replacing the snap-in baseplate itself with a rubber tray to gain a little extra storage space.

Tom
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2017, 08:16 AM   #9
McGary911
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2 DCT

If you want to go simple, just order one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/AUKEY-Charger...ords=aukey+usb

I have one in place of the cig lighter in front of my shifter. It works great. It doesn't sounds like you need your phone music hardwired into the care via the center console usb (you have your ipod for that). If you need to listen to your phone you still have bluetooth.
You may be looking @ a 15 second fix here. It could at lease bridge the gap until you can do the more complex solution.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2017, 04:44 PM   #10
Tommyudo
Enlisted Member
Rep

I'm actually looking to have two full service USB connections. One "hardwired" to my Pro Clip iPhone cradle mounted to the dash and one to an iPod Classic stored in the center console. If any one's interested, I'm planning on getting one of these:

https://www.iflash.xyz/store/iflash-sata/

and using it with a 256 GB MSATA that I already have in an iPod Classic that I already have. That way I can have my entire collection of curated music for when I don't want to stream.
Appreciate 0