BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 CS Model > CFRP roof of my M2 CS features a deformity - Replacement proposed

05-25-2021, 03:50 PM   #133
Jimjamz
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: G81 M3 Touring (Frozen Black)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by E46M3forRay View Post
well essentially if it's a manufacturer defect, BMW would want that part shipped back to them for further analysis. If they find it to be a flaw during manufacturing process, I would think a recall is issued to certain owners to affected VINs.

I know Porsche does this as i have inquired in the past, requested if i can have the part back and hang it in my wall. For obvious reasons, it was rejected and was told it's going back to Germany.

However, if this claim went through your car insurance, i'm pretty sure, they will give it to you no questions ask.
The old adage 'it never hurts to ask' comes into play. BMW may have moved this team on, it's manufacturing quality processes may have changed, the repair shop may not be well integrated into M quality manufacturing processes.

I suspect it's likely it will be go back, but if there's a chance it won't, i'd calculate to put the question to them. Given the uniqueness of the roof and its part in the story of the F87 CS - having one on the wall would be special.
Appreciate 1
      05-25-2021, 04:25 PM   #134
E46M3forRay
Güdentyte
Rep
Drives: GT3 & 1M

Garage List
2023 Model 3  [6.50]
2022 T4R TRD Pro  [5.00]
2011 1M  [6.67]
2014 991.1 GT3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjamz View Post
The old adage 'it never hurts to ask' comes into play. BMW may have moved this team on, it's manufacturing quality processes may have changed, the repair shop may not be well integrated into M quality manufacturing processes.

I suspect it's likely it will be go back, but if there's a chance it won't, i'd calculate to put the question to them. Given the uniqueness of the roof and its part in the story of the F87 CS - having one on the wall would be special.
No doubt. I think my SA at the P dealer got tired of hearing me asking. lol

The carbon roof is indeed a piece of art. I would turn it around and sell it for all the trouble I went through. Someone with an OG or Comp will buy it.

SOLD - MB M2 CS | SMB F80 M3 CS | E90 M3 | E90 335i | E46 M3 Vert | E39 M5 | E34 525i
Appreciate 1
Jimjamz4581.50
      05-25-2021, 11:32 PM   #135
ScullyD
Senior 1Addict
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW iX, Porsche GT4 RS

Garage List
2022 M5 CS  [10.00]
2022 BMW iX  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by g.lor View Post
Hey everyone, just a quick update. The body shop that is handling my roof replacement contacted me to let me know the replacement roof has been ordered. The part number is 41318081169. I'll keep you guys in the loop once I get more info.
Is this the same weave type or the aftermarket carbon fiber M roof?
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2021, 01:17 AM   #136
///M TOWN
United_States
Rep
Drives: M GmbH

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.82]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScullyD View Post
Quote:
Hey everyone, just a quick update. The body shop that is handling my roof replacement contacted me to let me know the replacement roof has been ordered. The part number is 41318081169. I'll keep you guys in the loop once I get more info.
Probably the exact same

BMW should've never sold their Carbon Fiber Plant
Attached Images

Last edited by ///M TOWN; 05-26-2021 at 11:28 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2021, 04:31 AM   #137
Jimjamz
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptgltw View Post
Hmm, where did I read that before (post #126) lol.

Not many actually reads entire threads anymore so I get it.

Great minds think alike! I hope he gets it back.
I thought I had been following the posts on this thread. You called it first. Great minds think alike - it would be a win to have it up on the wall.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2021, 05:17 AM   #138
Davil
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 CS, 18 Vantage AMR, 00 WRX

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M TOWN View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScullyD View Post
Probably the exact same

BMW should've never sold their Carbon Fiber Plant
What are you talking about? What is that photo and what does it have to do with the question? What are those ugly black things between the roof and body?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-29-2021, 11:11 AM   #139
AxM2CS
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E28 535i >E39 528iT >E39 540i6

I would get the roof back and cut it down around the good section, install it on a kid's toy BMW. Until the next time when it gets further cut down to put it on a Tonka truck...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph...ittle_Overcoat
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-19-2021, 05:52 PM   #140
bruiser135msport
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2 CS & Bmw E21 320i

Carbon Fibre Roof Warranty Repair

“Hey everyone, just a quick update. The body shop that is handling my roof replacement contacted me to let me know the replacement roof has been ordered. The part number is 41318081169. I'll keep you guys in the loop once I get more info.”

Any more updates on the BMW warranty repair ?

I’ve just bought the last new M2 Cs available in Australia from a BMW dealership in Sydney

Cheers
Bruce
Appreciate 2
g.lor108.00
Hedoniste3834.00
      06-19-2021, 06:13 PM   #141
g.lor
Rep
Drives: M2cs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruiser135msport View Post
“Hey everyone, just a quick update. The body shop that is handling my roof replacement contacted me to let me know the replacement roof has been ordered. The part number is 41318081169. I'll keep you guys in the loop once I get more info.”

I’ve just bought the last new M2 Cs available in Australia from a BMW dealership in Sydney

Cheers
Bruce
It's been a slow process. I called the body shop and they said they have the new roof but they are waiting for bmw to update their procedure database. The repair shop said bmw only has roof replacement procedures for steel roofs. The manager of the repair shop is working with bmw USA to get the replacement procedure for the carbon roof.
Appreciate 3
Jimjamz4581.50
Poochie9104.50
Hedoniste3834.00
      06-19-2021, 07:12 PM   #142
Jimjamz
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Garage List
[
Quote:
Quote:
"Hey everyone, just a quick update. The body shop that is handling my roof replacement contacted me to let me know the replacement roof has been ordered. The part number is 41318081169. I'll keep you guys in the loop once I get more info."

I've just bought the last new M2 Cs available in Australia from a BMW dealership in Sydney

Cheers
Bruce
It's been a slow process. I called the body shop and they said they have the new roof but they are waiting for bmw to update their procedure database. The repair shop said bmw only has roof replacement procedures for steel roofs. The manager of the repair shop is working with bmw USA to get the replacement procedure for the carbon roof.
BMW is probably developing them for you. Good to see the shop is doing it properly and by the book.
Appreciate 1
Hedoniste3834.00
      06-20-2021, 05:40 AM   #143
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Quote:
"Hey everyone, just a quick update. The body shop that is handling my roof replacement contacted me to let me know the replacement roof has been ordered. The part number is 41318081169. I'll keep you guys in the loop once I get more info."

I've just bought the last new M2 Cs available in Australia from a BMW dealership in Sydney

Cheers
Bruce
Interesting situation, please keep us updated and good luck with the mechanical surgery
Appreciate 2
      07-12-2021, 10:57 PM   #144
arciga18
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: LeMans/ Chestnut E90, RWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Cheers
Bruce
Interesting situation, please keep us updated and good luck with the mechanical surgery
Update ?
Appreciate 2
g.lor108.00
Poochie9104.50
      07-13-2021, 04:16 PM   #145
g.lor
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by arciga18 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Cheers
Bruce
Update ?
Taking her in tomorrow
Appreciate 1
Tornado1M1211.00
      07-15-2021, 09:49 AM   #146
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Taking her in tomorrow
Good luck !

I trust that your dealer will take extra care in carrying out this delicate special operation (maiden voyage). They will take their time to get it right and likely document the process for BMW.

You'll be getting a new CF roof, a new windscreen and a new rear window. Note regarding the M Performance Parts CF roof (which has a different design):
"Part number: 41312460277
Product naming: Car roof in carbon fiber
Product description / details: Lightweight carbon roof in carbon fiber.
Package includes car roof in carbon fiber.
In addition new windscreen and rear window are required and needs to be ordered separately.
Roof is redesigned.
Approx -5kg
Installation time: approx.12,5 h (incl. windscreens)
Comments: only in conjunction with windscreen and rear window.
Fits also to F22 and F87"

(source: here)
Better don't ask for pictures of the removal and installation process. Behold only the final result.
      07-15-2021, 03:22 PM   #147
CarJunkie
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e82 1M, f87 M2cs

Garage List
2020 M2cs  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by arciga18 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Cheers
Bruce
Update ?
Taking her in tomorrow
Sending positive thoughts!
1M track toy mods: BMS chargepipe, BMS OCC, ADE FMIC, ADE motor mounts, MadDad/Lightweight Ti exhaust, ADE custom oil thermostat/cooler, custom MHD tune, F10 550i clutch, Ohlins R+T, Vorschlag camber plates, M3 'vert FSB with Turner endlinks, Stoptech Trophy BBK.
Appreciate 1
g.lor108.00
      07-15-2021, 07:44 PM   #148
il Nemico
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: RS

For whatever it's worth, It actually adds to the provenance of your car and to the good / bad / ugly legend of the CS.

Sucky situation, but a cool story to tell from a dedicated owner.
Most would have just walked away.

Hope the new weave is flawless!! 🤞
Appreciate 1
g.lor108.00
      07-18-2021, 06:14 PM   #149
Alpine*
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 G87

Wonder if she is out of anesthetic yet?
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2021, 12:50 PM   #150
gemini.m3
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 xDrive comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevestevesteve View Post
I disagree, this devalues the car. This is not work you let bobs auto shop around the way or even your dealer do and expect it to be as good as original. I would not now or ever touch that car with a 20 foot pole, it is ruined. Any engineer who has worked with CF will probably agree.
Man talk about making OP feel good. I think we should all pray the repair is successful and that his event with his roof isn’t a precursor to an issue we could all potentially have- then maybe the tune will change with this.

Cars are consumables- even something like our precious m2 CS. Over time many of these cars will be resprayed, repaired, etc and I think with the limited production yes super clean oem untouched cars will get a premium, but most who couldn’t purchase one right away will likely be ok if the repair was done correctly.

So I disagree- the car isn’t ruined. It’ll still drive like an m2 CS and that’s probably the most important thing to most people wanting this car. I will agree the work that needs to be done here is super invasive and I’d reconsider it myself but ultimately if he gets it back looking good with no new rattles and driving as it did before, should be ok

That said if he wanted to get out of it- not sure that would show on carfax but given the premium these cars are getting now it’ll likely still sell to the right buyer with the proper mindset
Appreciate 6
il Nemico137.50
g.lor108.00
gvstone52.00
F87EVO4033.00
Tornado1M1211.00
      07-19-2021, 01:38 PM   #151
il Nemico
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevestevesteve View Post
Quote:
For whatever it's worth, It actually adds to the provenance of your car and to the good / bad / ugly legend of the CS.
I disagree, this devalues the car. This is not work you let bobs auto shop around the way or even your dealer do and expect it to be as good as original. I would not now or ever touch that car with a 20 foot pole, it is ruined. Any engineer who has worked with CF will probably agree.
Hey "Steve"
Note, I said provenance and not value.

Maybe you confuse the two…🤷*♂️

Anyway, to each their own.
Appreciate 3
smknjoe234.00
gvstone52.00
Got f1?681.00
      08-03-2021, 10:47 AM   #152
sdhotwn
Mmmm... Bavarian
Rep
Drives: M2 CS, X5 45e, i3, Cayman S

They wrap up the repair yet?
2014 Cayman S
Appreciate 1
ROASTM163.50
      08-03-2021, 09:15 PM   #153
g.lor
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdhotwn View Post
They wrap up the repair yet?
Not yet, the body shop informed me yesterday that they are missing some gaskets that will need to be shipped from Germany. As of right now I have no idea when repairs will be done.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2021, 09:18 PM   #154
gemini.m3
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 xDrive comp

Quote:
Not yet, the body shop informed me yesterday that they are missing some gaskets that will need to be shipped from Germany. As of right now I have no idea when repairs will be done.
Man is bmw compensating you at all for the fact you basically can’t drive your car?
Appreciate 1